Questions about Armorsmithing

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I dipped my Cleric into the Bone Knight class and I'm currently making my armor but when I get more money I want to make something completely awesome but I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what is best.

I am going to be wearing heavy armor with a tower shield and I'm thinking of making the following armors:

Reinforced Mythil Full Plate Armor
which would give me:
+9AC, +2 max DEX bonus (my modifier is 1 but will be 2 next point increase), -4 Armor check penalty, weighs 45lbs and is considered Medium armor.
Total Cost: 10,500gp + Reinforced

Reinforced Adamantine Full Plate Armor
which would give me:
+9AC, 0 max DEX bonus, -6 Armor check penalty, weighs 75lbs and has DR 3/-
Total Cost: 16,500gp + Reinforced

These are the best ideas I can come up with without using magical enhancements, if anybody has a better idea please let me know what it is, if there are no better ideas which one of these would be better for me, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Also let me know what good magical enhancements I should add and how I would go about doing it. And could someone tell me what the Reinforced cost is? lol

The other question I have is can I make a Bone Shield with my crafting? If I can is there an advantage to do so? Like does the same bonuses my Bone armor gets as I level up apply to the shield?

Thanks for the help.

I dipped my Cleric into the Bone Knight class and I'm currently making my armor but when I get more money I want to make something completely awesome but I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding what is best.

I am going to be wearing heavy armor with a tower shield and I'm thinking of making the following armors:

which would give me:
+9AC, +2 max DEX bonus (my modifier is 1 but will be 2 next point increase), -4 Armor check penalty, weighs 45lbs and is considered Medium armor.

which would give me:

These are the best ideas I can come up with without using magical enhancements, if anybody has a better idea please let me know what it is, if there are no better ideas which one of these would be better for me, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Also let me know what good magical enhancements I should add and how I would go about doing it. And could someone tell me what the Reinforced cost is? lol

The other question I have is can I make a Bone Shield with my crafting? If I can is there an advantage to do so? Like does the same bonuses my Bone armor gets as I level up apply to the shield?

Thanks for the help.

Uh... dood?  You do realize that the Bone Knight's armor is made of bone, right?  And that it grows onto you and can't be removed?  Or did you miss that part?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls

which would give me:

which would give me:

Thanks for the help.

Uh... dood?  You do realize that the Bone Knight's armor is made of bone, right?  And that it grows onto you and can't be removed?  Or did you miss that part?

only at level 8, you still have to make the armor yourself

The non-metal part makes sense for some reason I read it differently. So basically with bone armor I have to make it like normal only use Bones instead of Steel like if I would make a Mythil armor using Mythil instead of Steel?

Could I get a confirmation on this?

I know bone armor is somewhere I think drow of the under darkor faerun(sorry afk) maybe you could see the mix to see a sheild thing

True.  But the level 1 ability says "You can produce a suit of bonecraft medium or heavy armor that would normally be composed mostly of metal... Bonecraft armor is not metallic..."
I realize that it's not explicit, but it pretty implicitly says that using mithral or adamantine for your bonecraft armor isn't going to work.  As for creating a bonecraft shield, it would seem that it's completely legal to do so.  It's less clear that there is any benefit for doing so.  If any of the abilites would stack, it would only be the level 1 ability of +4 Intimidate (untyped) and the level 7 ability of 50% Fortification (it would make someone need to roll twice to land a crit or precision damage).  Allowing a bonecraft shield to do anything more than just be a shield is a very generous interpretation, however.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?

True.  But the level 1 ability says "You can produce a suit of bonecraft medium or heavy armor that would normally be composed mostly of metal... Bonecraft armor is not metallic..."
I realize that it's not explicit, but it pretty implicitly says that using mithral or adamantine for your bonecraft armor isn't going to work.  As for creating a bonecraft shield, it would seem that it's completely legal to do so.  It's less clear that there is any benefit for doing so.  If any of the abilites would stack, it would only be the level 1 ability of +4 Intimidate (untyped) and the level 7 ability of 50% Fortification (it would make someone need to roll twice to land a crit or precision damage).  Allowing a bonecraft shield to do anything more than just be a shield is a very generous interpretation, however.

yeah the more I think about it the more that makes perfect sense, I mean if chill metal and rust monsters have no effect on it then why would I make an armor composed mostly of Mythil or Adamantine. lol.

I'm guessing the best I can do now is to make Reinforced Full Plate Bone Armor if I choose to though I may just keep the regular masterwork Full Plate Bone armor.

The shield part makes sense, I'll ask my DM what he thinks the best move is regarding that, thanks for the help. 

anyway I still need tips on what magical enhancements would be good for the armor, if someone can tell me what enhancement would be good for me that would be great.
The glamered enchantment would probably be handy if it ends up being impossible to remove (I'm assuming that you couldn't make sectioned bonecraft armour work, since it's stuck to your skin), and something like nimbleness or ghost ward is useful in a general sense.

If you just get the basic enhancement bonus of the armour up to +3, you'll be able to use the best grade of armour crystals, which can be swapped around since they're not a permanent part of the armour (it's just a shame there aren't more of them to choose from).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Thanks, I'll take a look at those later, do I have to do anything specific to my armor in order to use crystals? Or are the armors pre setup for it?
Thanks, I'll take a look at those later, do I have to do anything specific to my armor in order to use crystals? Or are the armors pre setup for it?

Crystals can be put into existing armor, with a caveat.  Least crystals require armor of at least masterwork quality, lesser require the armor to be at least +1, and greater crystals require the armor to be at least +3.
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
When she meets CJ's mom?
Sign In to post comments