MultiPlayer Frustrations

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, this is just one of those stories.

I'm playing MO, with a funky deck in a 3HG game (Stolen Goods, Clone, Currency, ect), and I will fully admit my deck isn't the most aggressive, and I *did* fail to do damage, although honestly, I never got an oppertunity to swing.

So when people start losing, they look for someone besides themselves to blame. So one of the players got upset at me late game for not doing any damage. Nevermind I was the control deck against a bad matchup (BW tokens). Nevermind that my partners are playing the funky agro decks (G Beastmaster/BG Reanimator?) who should be swinging in against the control empty board opponents. No. I'm the one responsible for making us lose!

Nevermind that the real culprit is the player to my left, who had their Wild Beastmaster, +2/+2 countered, Double Rancored stolen not once, not twice, but thrice by Zealos Counscripts, and proceeded to deal over 40 damage against us. Oh no. Apparenly me not having creatures to swing with was what lost us that game! :D

I accept worse deck at the table with pride. I think my deck is a lot of fun to play... but I'm not even remotely responsible for us losing that game. I'll get over this, but I find it so funny that I got blamed for the loss, when it was my partners themselves that helped do us in.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Just try to let stuff like that go with a grain of salt.  Competition can bring out bad things in people.  

Sounds like the guys pride was brused and his ego wouldnt let him accept the fact that you cant win every game, and some times you get a bad match up.  you were just a convenient scapegoat

Human nature really, and im sure youve encountered things like this outside of magic context.   Ever play multiplayer video games? lol  >.> oh the excuses......
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Ouch. Though, still not as bad as some of my stories. Like when people bring 2 player decks to free-for-all games, and decide that "winning" is taking out one other person. Or when one player is freely showing everyone his combo of Tendrils of Agony / Yawgmoth's Bargain, but everyone is freaking out over my mono-blue deck.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Well I mean it is clearly your fault for jungling when you should have been laning .

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
How come you didn't counter or remove the conscripts if you are the control deck?

Next time play emperor anyway.
I'd opine that in multiplayer politics plays a greater role than anything else in who wins or loses.

In one of my playgroups, one guy who is particularly skilled at that wins quite a bit of the time despite being noticeably less-skilled in both deck construction and implementation. He knows how to sweet-talk people into doing things he wants.

This is the biggest reason I dislike MP; I'd rather the reason I win or lose be due to my skill alone.

Well I mean it is clearly your fault for jungling when you should have been laning .



I <3 you loads. 
Deck Critique VCL
Show
Rules Advisor Don't assume I have read any response you might have made directed toward me in a thread or post. The best method to contact me is Private Message as I will always check there upon logging on Please review the Code of Conduct or the Comprehensive Rules when in doubt. Also, please use Google for your easy-to-answer questions. Read this for a bit on game mathematics. This is information on game psychology and the infamous term "scrub." Autocard:
[c]Gifts Ungiven[/c] -> Gifts Ungiven
royk's Tradesroyk's Deck Dump
Politics is a skill, and politicking successfully without getting a reputation for being a horrible manipulative bastards over an extended series of games is a skill that should be rewarded.

Multiplayer online just seems awful. I stick to MP with my friends because they all know that I'm a horrible manipulative bastard and have made their peace with that. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
I feel like Im required to reply to this thread with the requisite line: "welcome to the internet"

This is something that paper magic will always be superior for.  If you dont have a thick skin, just avoid playing games with random people you dont know online, especially in any game that is remotely team based.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

So when people start losing, they look for someone besides themselves to blame.

...

I accept worse deck at the table with pride. I think my deck is a lot of fun to play... but I'm not even remotely responsible for us losing that game.



Indeed.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Ouch. Though, still not as bad as some of my stories. Like when people bring 2 player decks to free-for-all games, and decide that "winning" is taking out one other person. Or when one player is freely showing everyone his combo of Tendrils of Agony / Yawgmoth's Bargain, but everyone is freaking out over my mono-blue deck.



My lord, is that legal?

I think it's because blue was broken for like, well, until Masques or Invasion.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I'd opine that in multiplayer politics plays a greater role than anything else in who wins or loses.

In one of my playgroups, one guy who is particularly skilled at that wins quite a bit of the time despite being noticeably less-skilled in both deck construction and implementation. He knows how to sweet-talk people into doing things he wants.

This is the biggest reason I dislike MP; I'd rather the reason I win or lose be due to my skill alone.

Well I mean it is clearly your fault for jungling when you should have been laning .



I <3 you="" loads="" quote="" br="" class="mbQuoteSpacer">



I don't really think politics come into play in 3 Headed Giant.  Unless you are extremely good at talking an entire team into not attacking your team.  Of course then I would think you are probably a Jedi and could use your powers for more than winning at magic.  (waves hand "you will not block this lethal attack")

I don't really think politics come into play in 3 Headed Giant.  Unless you are extremely good at talking an entire team into not attacking your team.  Of course then I would think you are probably a Jedi and could use your powers for more than winning at magic.  (waves hand "you will not block this lethal attack")




Odric, Master Tactician. He even brings his own lightsabre along. How helpful.


On topic, that's unfortunately multiplayer; things just get even worse in teamplayer, as seen here. It's one of the reasons that I love competitive one-on-one magic, and casual multiplayer - conflict of preconceptions/expectations etc. 

I don't really think politics come into play in 3 Headed Giant.  Unless you are extremely good at talking an entire team into not attacking your team.  Of course then I would think you are probably a Jedi and could use your powers for more than winning at magic.  (waves hand "you will not block this lethal attack")




Odric, Master Tactician. He even brings his own lightsabre along. How helpful.



Not the only lightsaber, either. Mirrodin has five of them, all of which love Odric.

Politics is more for basic multiplayer with no team play. Players will like your Forbidden Orchard.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Bay_Falconer: Sure, if you convince the gaming group that your cheesy combo is perfectly okay. The preferences of the group (Control is BAD!, but combo is just something you have to live with) is a big decider of who wins: often, it's won before the first card is drawn by the person whose personality defines the metagame.

 

Politics is more for basic multiplayer with no team play. Players will like your Forbidden Orchard.



Man, I've had people attack me with cards/tokens I've given them because I was helping them. Like, laughing out loud because it was so ironic. I've found that you get a lot more respect in multi-player if you're beating their face in, instead of helping them.

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

...
Players will like your Forbidden Orchard.



Until you play Repercussion!

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Yup, emperor with 6 people is very fun and cuts down on much of this. You would probably still get yelled at though.

Free for all games get awfully complicate politically. It helps when you pack cards such as sheltering ancients. When everyone is a manipulative bastard it sorta just fades back into unimportance. Though I did lose a game of civilization once strictly from politics. (Crete will rise again!)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I enjoy multiplayer, and it's pretty much what I play 90% of the time with live Magic (the other 10% being the occasional FNM and prerelease stuff). But yeah, it certainly can get frustrating for a player who enjoys winning - particularly when it comes to the meta.

Using my own playgroup as an example, we have one player who only uses one deck of his own, and borrows some of ours for other matches, though he uses his own deck the majority of games. But of course, his deck happens to be fairly fast monored goblins, including Goblin Lackey and Warren Instigator. The common threat of that deck means that the rest of us have pretty much had to include 1-drop removal in all our decks (1 drop creatures, while being able to potentially work, can get nullified by Smoldering Spires and of course Lightning Bolt) so that we aren't facing a turn 2 Siege-Gang Commander, especially if it was preceded by a Quest for the Goblin Lord. The deck usually can only beat one player then get smashed by the others, but of course, the rest of us play to beat everyone and not just one player, so it can be quite frustrating to have our MP-designed deck outcomes be decided by who the 1v1 player wants to die.

Then, of course, there's the occasional combo deck - in our meta, it's primarily one player's BR reanimator that wins via Buried Alive and Kokusho, the Evening Star. That deck is equally quite frustrating. It doesn't come out as often as goblins, but if it comes out and one of us isn't playing , or have some graveyard hate, we're toast. Can't even rely on the goblins, as I'm seen as the best player in the group so he'll often decide to kill me so that the other guy can win.

But at the end of the day, despite the occasional frustration I do find it overall enjoyable. When you're playing a deck you designed that actually runs as intended and wins as intended, it's satisfying.

If you want super frustration though, play planechase. I can't remember the last time the outcome of a planechase game wasn't severely, if not entirely decided by the plane.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
If you want super frustration though, play planechase. I can't remember the last time the outcome of a planechase game wasn't severely, if not entirely decided by the plane.



I actually quite enjoy the Planes because they make such a big difference. Different strokes, I guess. 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

...
Players will like your Forbidden Orchard.



Until you play Repercussion!



Well, obviously. How many wizards keep their word?

You can use Lightmine Field to make sure the ghosts don't attack you. Political point #2: Much of your game is bribing your opponents and then punishing them for attacking.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Overall I find FFA multiplayer is always most interesting when the decks arent specifically designed for that environment.  It creates scenarios where big multiplayer games can end up being won by the new guy with some random janky standard deck because the hardcore players went for each other's throats right out of the gate.

When your decks are tuned specifically for beating one other player as efficiently as possible, you have to actually interact with the other players instead of just killing them all simultaneously.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

My group that does free for alls is balanced around the two of us that have been playing the longest and have the best decks. The politics tend to end up being a constant power play between the two of us each trying to marshall support from the other players and convince our current allies to do what we need them to without opening ourselves up to a coup from a player who had been pretending to be a minion.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)