Need help with a retro Izzet deck

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello! So I'm interested in building this Izzet deck, not for tournament play, but just to play casually. And izzet holds sentimental value for me. I'm having trouble deciding what to put in, though. Can you help? Also, I have no idea on how I should balance mana and which lands to use.

Current mainboard:

4 Wee Dragonauts
3 Goblin Electromancer
2 Delver of Secrets
4 Gelectrode
2 Fervor
2 Curiosity
2 Cancel
4 Essence Scatter
4 Remand
Searing Spear
4 Shock
1 Spy Network
1 Telling Time
3 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
11 Island
8 Mountain
1 Reliquary Tower
2 Izzet Guildgate

Other available cards:

2 Thieving Magpie
1 Blistercoil Weird
4 Boomerang
2 Cancel
1 Catalog
4 Dream's Grip
2 Dynacharge
2 Electrolyze
1 Essence Scatter
4 Negate
2 Schismotivate
1 Spy Network
2 Surge of Zeal
1 Syncopate
1 Telling Time
1 Trickery Charm
2 Unsummon
2 Overblaze
2 Shattering Spree
2 Train of Thought
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Reliquary Tower

What should I take out/put in? Thanks everyone for the help!
use the [/c] tag[c]Dissipate is a better choice than cancel 
consider Negate
SHock is not standard legal, the current burn spells are Pillar of FLame Searing spear and Brimstone Volley
Snapcaster mage is good
considerIzzet charm
If you want to draw cards go for Thought Scour or Think twice
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rCB4r.jpg)
to make a hyper link u do [ c ] card [/ c ]     but dont add any spaces like i did. i would take out delver of secrets he's usually a 4 of or nothing. he wouldnt be very good in this deck since u dont run 4 ponder or preordain.  um maybe add lightning bolt if you have um. much better reach than shock or [/c]searing spear[/c]

it seems a little spread out. i dont know what the focus is. i would try to condense it more. less 1 ofs 
Thanks everyone! This deck focuses mainly on Gelectrodes and Wee Dragonauts + instants. I'm trying to avoid the current standard Izzet trend and go for the original Guildpact style. The point is to survive/kill with Gelectrodes/Dragonauts while waiting for the instant Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity kill.

Regarding the deck, should I replace Cancel with Negate? And would you recommend running 4 Ponder?

EDIT:

SHock is not standard legal, the current burn spells are Pillar of FLame Searing spear and Brimstone Volley

And to clarify, Shock is what I currenty have. I'm not gonna play in tournaments, so legality isn't a factor for me.
EDIT2: Can someone do me a 101 on land management? What should I put in?
Thanks everyone! This deck focuses mainly on Gelectrodes and Wee Dragonauts + instants. I'm trying to avoid the current standard Izzet trend and go for the original Guildpact style. The point is to survive/kill with Gelectrodes/Dragonauts while waiting for the instant Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity kill.

Regarding the deck, should I replace Cancel with Negate? And would you recommend running 4 Ponder?

EDIT: And to clarify, Shock is what I have. I'm not gonna play in tournaments, so legality isn't a factor for me.
EDIT2: Can someone do me a 101 on land management? What should I put in?

but this section is for standard deck help :_:
I'd say replace cancel with mana leak is legality doesn't matter, add some lightning bolts. Yes use ponder, especially if your running delver 
IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/rCB4r.jpg)