[Contest] The Twilight Zone

240 posts / 0 new
Last post

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas; you've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone

The Twilight Zone is a large, multiround contest that will test your mettle and imagination as a designer as I throw you into alternate dimensions and situations where magic has become...strange. Many of you will enter the doorway to this madness, but only 16 will continue on to the zone, and each round, one of you will not make it out of the realm you find yourself in. The realm...of The Twilight Zone.
-Audition Round-

Picture this: You sit down to play a normal game of magic, shuffle and cut each other's cards as per usual, and draw your initial hands. But something seems off. Perhaps it's the 4 color planeswalker, or the enchantment artifacts, or maybe it's the aura creatures. And then it hits you, magic is a game of resource management. Perhaps in the world outside of your computer screens, but not in...The Twilight Zone. Create up to three cards from what magic would have become if lands were never a card type, and please give a little explanation on whatever you make.
Players:

Turnip
CKY
stein
razorpants
Mown
vlord
Tevish
FTK
confused
dtolle
Theatog
altimmis
dubius
IMP
TP
john
What is magic without mana as a resource? Well obviously without a resource, cards are for the most part free. But if everything is free, why would you play Suntail Hawk over Serra Angel? Everyone would just play the best creatures.

So I propose a system where you can only play one creature a turn, and better creatures require you to have already played smaller creatures. Like this for example:

Blue-Eyes White Phyrexian Dreadnought
Creature - Dreadnought
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice two other creatures.
This legendary Phyrexian is a powerful engine of destruction. Virtually invincible, very few have faced this awesome creature and lived to tell the tale.
8/6

That way, you're not dropping Serra Angels on turn 1 and ending the game quickly. Although, with this sacrifice mechanic in place, there's not much incentive to playing big creatures when you can just play a bunch of little creatures and overwhelm your opponent.

So for my next step, I propose we place a limit on how much creatures we can have on the battlefield, say around 5. That way flooding the board with dudes is still a viable strategy, but will not become overwhelming, as at one point you're going to run out of space.

Also, I think that to further solve this problem, we can have creatures fight eachother directly instead of attacking players. Creatures would only be able to attack players if the other player has no blockers. That would also make one big dude more valuble than smaller dudes, which encourages you to tribute smaller dudes to play larger ones.

To round it all out, I think we should change combat between creatures slightly as well. Normal magic combat is so confusing. You have to keep track of numbers and damage and stuff. Instead, our combat is going to be just comparing numbers. When two creatures fight, the one with the higher attack wins. Simple as that. The loser is destroyed and its controller suffers damage equal to the difference in the two creatures powers. This will help us attract younger audience members who may not know how to do math very well.

"But Silly!" you may ask, what purpose does toughness serve in combat then? Well, I have this revolutionary idea. Creatures don't tap to attack. Instead, if they didn't attack this turn you can tap your own creatures voluntarily to put them in some sort of... what shall I call it... blocking mode! When your creature is tapped this way, it won't untap unless you spend a turn untapping it, and it can't attack. But in this mode, you use toughness in combat instead of power, so creatures with fat butts can still be useful. Also, if your blocking creature gets destroyed, you don't take the normal combat damage that you would if the creature was attacking.

Now that solves the creature issue. On to spells. Instants imo would also probably need to be redone. Normally a player in magic will be able to guess that his opponent has an instant ready by the mana he has untapped. With mana gone, we need a different way to telegraph instants. I propose we put instants face down on the battlefield, showing the opponents we have an unknown "surprise" waiting for them. Once they are face down, we can turn them face up at any time to use them. They move to the stack and then to the graveyard after being turned face up. Of course, some instants may still require other forms of payment such as life or discarding cards, because unlike creatures we can't regulate instant power the same way. Here's an example.

Trap Pit
Instant
Destroy target creature with 3 or more power if it entered the battlefield this step.

We should also probably limit noncreature cards on the battlefield, like instants and sorceries and enchantments and things to 5 as well. This is to provide symmetry with the creature limit, and to avoid making the battlefield too confusing.

Here is what an echantment would look like. Note that playing enchantments will count towards your 5 card limit for noncreature stuff on the battlefield, so you will be able to put less instants face down.

Horn from a Ronom Unicorn
Enchantment - Aura
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
When ~ is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, put ~ on top of its owner's library.

The good thing about not having a mana cost anymore is that we can have longer card names. ^_^
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
posting so I remember to come submit.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
In my version of landless Magic, cards look a lot like Force of Will and/or Fireblast, except that those are the only way to cast those cards (and Fireblast doesn't reference "land" of course).

Divided up among the color pie are different ways to cast cards that those colors are allowed to use.

For instance, Blue and Black can cast cards by milling themselves; Red and Black can cast cards by discarding cards.  At least initially, each color pair would share a unique method of casting cards, meaning each color would have four ways to cast cards individually.

This is accomplished via a keyword: "Cast -- {cost}."  The costs are written using some other alternate and new keywords in order to keep them as short as possible.  A player may only cast 1 sorcery or permanent per main phase, and only 1 instant or interrupt per turn (unless some other effect says otherwise).

Wild Guess
Sorcery
Cast -- Discard 1
Draw two cards.

Young Wolf
Summon Young Wolf
Cast -- Gift a 1/1 green Wolf creature (gifts must be given to an opponent; token is implied)
Undying
1/1

Counterspell
Interrupt
Cast -- Mill 5
Counter target spell.

Other examples of alternately keyworded methods of cost -- "Bleed 2 (you lose 2 life)," "Create a {permanent} (implies a token under your control)," "Banish {something} (the something goes to the bottom of its owner's library)."

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Can't see "The Twilight Zone" without thinking...

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

First of all, facedown cards will never be a thing. That means no morph, no illusionary mask. (And damn no DFC)

You will start placing cards facedown as resources. (basically like WoWccg and many others that already employ the design)

When you play a card face down, you declare its color. It has to position in the slot on your play-mat with the indicated color.

Rampant Expand
Sorcery
Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card facedown onto the battlefield as a green mana source or put it into your hand.

Invoke the History
Sorcery
Exile target facedown card you control. Until end of turn, you may cast it.

Death's Residue
Sorcery - Black Mana
Destroy target creature. (If you have not played a mana source card this turn, you may put this card facedown onto the battlefield as a black mana source as it resolves.)

The help text should be implied by its resource subtype.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Well, I think in addition to the normal Life Total used, we would have Resource Totals!

Everyone starts with 8 Mana Points of a single color or split evenly beetween 2 colors of their choice.

I visionize 2 main strategies.
Decks that spend all their Points in early turns to overwhelm opponents early (or to fail in trying)
Decks that use Energy Artifacts inside to churn out more mana points and try to win a forthcoming long game.
Some decks might use a mix of the 2.

So lets showcase a piece of the Basic Energy Artifacts Cycle!

Pearl = White, Sapphire = Blue, Jet = Black, Ruby = Red, Emerald = Green, Diamond = Any

Green Mana Energizer
Basic Energy Artifact - Emerald 

And Duals would cost or have a small drawback and cost  while Diamonds would cost or have a mid drawback and cost .

Mana stays around forever in this world.

In a Cycle from the Alternate Planar Chaos:

Forest of Emeralds
Energy Land - Emerald
When ~ enters the battlefield return an Energy Permanent to your hand.

Aggresive All-In decks could use these as gradual refill by returning itself to your hand.

A classic trick for the All-In Decks would be:

Draining Vampire
When ~ deals combat damage, target player loses 1 mana point.
2/1

Since it has Summoning Sickness, it can't be used as automatic mana disruption.

Also as a balancing factor for the even greater disadvantage of going last, you get +1 starting mana point for everyone before you in turn order in addition to the skip 1st draw for going 1st rule that exists in 2 Player.

Another Bonus card:

Magmatic Ritual
Instant
Double your current mana points.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

In this world of Magic... mana comes not from land but from the cards themselves. This is accomplished via a new keyword on most cards, "Generate (When you generate, reveal this card from your hand and put it into the mana zone. Then add this card's generate amount to your pool. Return all cards in the mana zone to your hand at the beggining of your turn.)" Some cards will have abilities that trigger from the mana zone. Also cards in play will still have mana abilities.

Treehome Guardian
Creature - Elf 
Generate (When you generate, reveal this card from your hand and put it into the mana zone. Then add this card's generate amount to your pool. Return all cards in the mana zone to your hand at the beggining of your turn.)
Defender
1/3

Korin, Risen Devourer 
Legendary Creature - Zombie
Generate  (When you generate, reveal this card from your hand and put it into the mana zone. Then add this card's generate amount to your pool. Return all cards in the mana zone to your hand at the beggining of your turn.)
You can cast ~ from your mana zone for less.
Intimidate
4/2

Knowledge Unknown
Sorcery
Shuffle two cards from your mana zone into your library. Then draw three cards.
Oh, gosh. Cool. Okay. Let me consider.

White - Opponent's Life Total.
Black - Your Life Total.
Blue - Opponent Draws Cards.
Red - Exile Library.
Green - Opponent Plays Cards.

Hunting Caniform
Creature - Bear
(Identity - Green)
When you cast Hunting Caniform, target opponent may put a creature from his or her hand onto the battlefield.

"The prey is not always worth the hunt."

2/2

Slogg
Instant
(Identity - Red)
When you cast Slogg, exile the top ten cards of your library.
Slogg deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

"What does it feel like to be Slogged? Pray that you never know the answer."

Esper Sightlife
Sorcery
(Identity - White, Blue, Black)
When you cast Esper Sightlife, each other player gains 1 life and draws 1 card. You lose 1 life and discard 1 card.
Search your library for as many as 3 artifact cards and put them into your graveyard.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Magic: Twlight Zone (M:TZ)

Places and Mana-bonds.

What are places?
Good question. Places are a new card type that represents where you choose on the plane your on to make your stand as a Planeswalker against another 'Walker. A place has characteristics that influence what kind of strategy you want to imploy. Places are placed in the Special Objects zone (or Command Zone).

For example,

Library of Alexandria
Place
Colour Identity: Blue

Mana-bond: Add to your mana pool. Skip your next draw step.
Special action: Draw a card. Activate this ability only if have exactly five cards in your hand.

"Pursuit of knowledge above all else."
Door Inscription

A Place's abilities are activated during a player's upkeep. You can either Mana-bond with your Place, which adds mana to your mana pool and on each subsequent turn adds that much mana to your mana pool but does not allow for card drawing. (Note that in this version of Magic, mana only empties from a mana pool during your upkeep step.) Or activate a Special Action, in this case means that you get to draw a card if you've got five cards in hand. You may only activate one of the Place's abilities per turn.

Libraries and hands are also modified to accomodate Places. Decks are now forty cards plus one Place card in the Special Objects zone. Hand sizes are five so you start to discard once you have 6 cards in hand.

Let's discuss impacts;
A place locks you into colours. A player using Library of Alexandria as a Place will only be able to play a mono-blue deck.
No duals, only basics from now on.
You never have to miss a land drop. That might be a good thing or a bad thing but it does change the dynamic of the game. Aggro decks can use those Special Actions to replace what are otherwise useless land drops once they've passed the top of their curve, while Control decks will be able to sit out, mana-bond each turn while protecting themselves and then drop a big threat.
You have alot more consistency in deck-building, leading to an easier game. No top-decking a land, no land destruction, no mana-fixing required. This means we could hike-up the complexity in other areas.

Other cards:

Wrench Apart

Sorcery

Destroy a mana-bond target player controls.

"To destroy a man, do not kill him. Murder his family and torch his home."
—Aohan, the Imprisioned

Notes: This is red's new LD. Now "playing lands" is alot stronger/easier than before, the old standard of LD is probably okay. Mana-ramp would work in a similar way (i.e. "You may mana-bond an additional time this turn."). Rituals would be as before - no reason to change them.

Loyalist Guard

Creature - Human Soldier

~ gets +1/+0 and can block an additional creature if you have three or more mana-bonds to a white place.

They fight, not for honour, or pride, or their values. They fight for their families, their people and their future.

0/4
Make sure you read all my commentary in the voice of Rod Serling
Is mana still applicable?
Or is that eradicated not having basic lands to base around?
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
I always read everything you write in the voice of Rod. Is that not what you sound like?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I sound more like Dr girlfriend. Not really.

@altimis: yes if you'd like, but that is your choice.
Is mana still applicable?
Or is that eradicated not having basic lands to base around?

Thus far, everyone seems to be interpreting it as they see fit.  I went with a logical expansion of Richard Garfield's resource attempt in Jyhad, his card game following Magic.  But it looks like most are keeping some structure of mana.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Without lands, magic would be a lot more about trades.
Magic games would start with each player's "energy" at 20. But They would flavor that the same as is popular with Pokemon.
It's not your life, it's your battle strength. When you run out of battle strength you can't battle.
Rules about this...

1) At the beginning of your turn, add to your energy pool the number of turns it has been for you. (On turn one, you have 1. Turn two, you have 2.)
2) You can't spend more energy than you have available to you in your energy pool.
3) Mana isn't mana, it's energy. You add to your energy pool.
4) Colored mana symbols, is paid for by two energy. Or the appropriate color. (Looks like Phyrexia won again, again)
4a. You can cast a :WM: using or :WM:. Some things produce colored energy.

Card 1:

Unreliable Mercenary --
Creature - Human Rebel (U)

When Unreliable Mercenary enters the battlefield, flip a coin. If you lose the flip, return Unreliable Mercenary to your hand.

2 / 2

Card 2:

Elixir of Power --
Artifact (R)

Elixir of Power enters the battlefield with four charge counters on it.
:T:, Remove a charge counter from Elixir of Power: Add to your energy pool.
:T:, Remove a charge counter from Elixir of Power: You gain 1 energy.

Card 3:

Battlefield Cleric -- :WM:
Creature - Human Cleric (C)

When Battlefield Cleric enters the battlefield, you gain 2 energy.

1 / 1
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Mana pools no longer drain, and instead players collect mana in the form of accumulating mana cards.

Alongside a 40-card deck (constructed, reduced from 60, since there are no lands), each player has a 40-card "mana cloud." Each card in the mana cloud is a mana card, a colour-identified card that represents 1 mana of that colour in its owner's mana pool. Similar to lands, players can change the ratios of their mana clouds to suit their decks.

At the beginning of each player's turn (simultaneously with untap), that player adds the top card of his or her mana cloud to his or her mana pool.

Red Mana
Basic Mana - Red (C)

Deadwater Essence
Mana - Blue Black (R)
(~ may be spent as or .)
When you spend ~, you lose 1 life.

As you spend mana, you put the spent mana on the bottom of your mana cloud.

Certain permanents will have the keyword harvest. It allows the player to tap that permanent during his or her upkeep in order to add an additional mana to his or her mana pool. It would be an evergreen keyword, since hervesters are you main way of accelerating.

Farmer's Draughthorse
Creature - Horse (C)
Harvest (During your upkeep, this permanent has ": Add the top card of your mana cloud to your mana pool.")
2/2

And another card.

Bloodflow Sorcerer
Creature - Vampire Wizard (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may search you mana cloud for up to five black mana cards, reveal them, then shuffle your mana cloud and put those cards on top of it in any order.
2/1
My three cards are amazing.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
With the lack of mana-bonds, planeswalkers will use inner energy (NOT called Ki) to summon spells. To streamline it and make colors matter, each stance adds colorless energy and you have to pay transfer fees to turn it into other colors as to make playing multiple colors a cost. In this version, at the beginning of your upkeep, you get to choose between 3 stances.

Focus -> Add to your energy pool. You may not cast spells until your next turn

Balanced -> Add to your energy pool. You may cast 1 spell until your next turn.

Agressive -> You may cast as many spells you like until your next turn.

After you decide your stance, you may convert your energy with the following algorithm.

1 colorless -> 1 colored; as long as you have not converted to another color this turn
2 colorless -> 1 colored; for the 2nd different energy color you have converted this turn
3 colorless -> 1 colored; for the 3rd different energy color you have converted this turn
and so on.

Energy never expires from your pool.

This way you are hurt for trying to run what would be greedy manabases in normal magic, and I feel it makes up for the death of LD quite well.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Resources are determined by turns.  It is kept track of with a Master d20 (hereafter referred to as the Master) in the middle of the table between the players, and each other player has a d20 as well (referred to as Resources).  When the first player goes, the Master is set to 1 and each player sets their Resources to 1 as well.  The player that went first is the one that is responsible for turning the Master up by one at the start of their turn.  At the start of a players turn, they set their Resource die to same value as the Master.  As players spend their resources they turn their Resource die to show what resources they have remaining.  A player cannot spend more resources than they have.

So as part of game set up, the Master die is set to 1 and so is each Player die.
The first player goes, with 1 resource available.  Since the Master has already been set the first player doesn't have to do anything with it.  Note that all other players have 1 resource available as well, but normal rules of magic still apply so they would need to have an instant to respond to anything.  The first player is always the one to advance the Master first at the start of their turn, incrementing it by 1, then setting their player die to the same value.

Colors are reflected by their planeswalkers.  In the same way as Commander, each player selects a Planeswalker to use as their Commander for their deck.  These walkers are in the Command zone and follow the same rules for playing them from that zone.  The color the walker has listed controls the colors you are allowed to use in your deck.  Colors are no longer listed as part of the cost for walkers, but instead in the body of the walker.  Walkers are never included in your deck. Cards never have more than 1 identifying color in its cost now.

Being limited to three cards is painful.  The options are wide open.

Drugan Tayul 
Planeswalker - Drugan
(You may include white, blue and green cards in your deck).
[+1]: set your Resources equal to the Master.
[-1]: decrease the Master by 1.
[-6]: draw X cards where X is equal to the Master.
[3]

Growling Griznik
Creature -  Wurm - R
Trample
Growling Griznik has power and toughness equal to the Master.
*/*

Sequential Paradox
Instant - M
Roll the Master.

Whew.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
(A player starts the game with 20 strength divided in secret any way he or she chooses among their five citadels. To cast a spell, players lose citadel strength - a spell costing is cast by losing 1 strength from the green citadel and 1 from a citadel of their choice. When a players citadels all have no strength, they lose the game.)

Shanodin Dryads

Creature-Dryad
Shanodin Dryads can't be blocked when attacking a green citadel.
Moving without sound, swift figures pass through branches and undergrowth completely unhindered. One with the trees around them, the Dryads of Shanodin Forest are seen only when they wish to be.
1/1

Build the Base

Sorcery
Target citadel gains 3 strength.

Desperation Demon

Flying
Whenever a citadel you control falls, you may reveal it has fallen. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Desperation Demon.
4/4

The mana system still exists, but in a somewhat different form.

With no lands, the process of mana generation falls to every other card type; and mana costs scale a little differently. Rather than having all your mana sources cost 0, many of them actually cost mana, and in exchange produce more than one mana; which means that to keep the game at the right tempo, mana costs grow a little faster. Given that, Dark Ritual isn't actually too powerful; but it is still off-colour.

Moonstone
Mana Artifact
Moonstone enters the battlefield tapped, unless you pay an additional as you cast it.
: Add or to your mana pool.

Rampant Growth
Sorcery 
Search your library for a Mana Creature with Converted Mana Cost 1 or less and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

Flame Ritual
Mana Instant 
Add to your mana pool.
so after putting in some thought, I came up with a system of see-sawing resources, where you casting a spell would add mana to your opponent's pool, and then they'd spend it and the extra would go back to you, and then I realized the whole idea was stupid. instead I'm doing this.

at the start of the turn, before the untap phase, is the mana phase. in this phase, two things happen:

a) you can add a colored mana to the communal permanent mana pool. you don't have to.
b) your mana pool empties, and then is refilled with the amounts and colors in the communal pool. 

so, say, on my first turn, I can add to the pool. this can be represented with a colored bead, an extra card, a written note, or whatever. then my mana pool becomes . this will be my mana pool until my next mana phase. I can then cast raging goblin, or lightning bolt, or anything else one could cast with .

then you take your turn. you add , then your mana pool becomes . you can play elvish visionary, or nacatl outlander, or llanowar elves and kindled fury, or whatever.

then I take my turn, add whatever I want, and things go as normal until the game ends with us both tapping into a massive communal well and slinging huge monsters.

a couple notes on this system:
1) there is now a distinct advantage in going second, to the point where the play-draw rule is no longer necessary.
2) this helps games in mirror matches get to the point they want to be at quicker. two late-game decks will dump in a bunch of mana and get to the late game quickly, whereas aggro decks will probably stop adding mana soon so that their opponent struggles to get enough mana to drop their big things in time.
3) a good distinction needs to be made between the communal pool and your personal pool. to preserve as much terminology as possible, I'm going to call your pool your mana pool and the communal pool The Aether.
4) this system means that playing the same colors as your opponent makes things faster. stuff with lots of colors in their mana costs, therefore, become sort of hate cards. on the draw, I can play elvish warrior turn 2 against a green deck, but not until turn 4 against a red one. this also means that many-colored decks are better against each other since they'll be forced to help each other get their colors, while a mono-colored deck can screw you by just picking their color all the time, making it much harder to get the others.
5) I can probably drop deck sizes, since I'm decoupling resource production from the deck. but on the other hand that just means all decks get more consistent, so staying at 60 and letting you fill the rest with other cards might be good too. dunno, will have to be tested.

cards to come. Imma go read the other submissions to make sure I didn't steal anyone's idea. EDIT: I DIDN'T! EDIT AGAIN: actually it's sort of like Dudibus's but I like my execution better.

Rising Tide-
Sorcery
Target mana becomes blue.
"In times past, the land was ours. In times coming, it will be again."~Growak Vel'Vor, Merfolk Elder

notes: I chose two so that it can be played turn 1 on the draw. it's a crucial piece of slowing down aggro decks, keeping them off their double-colored three-drops. this can also be used turn 2 on the play, to stop double-colored four-drops. it's also useful in multicolor decks to quickly steal their mana and make it blue so you can move to your other colors. note that mana only exists in the Aether, so you don't need to say target mana in the aether, just like you don't need to specify where spells or creatures are.

Stout-Trunk Purist-
Creature-Treefolk
Spend only non-blue, non-black mana to cast Stout-Trunk Purist.
The elders of Vinerush Grotto do not move quickly to change, or for any other reason.
4/4

notes: cost evaluations need to be adjusted. 4-drops will happen turn 2 on the draw against all but the most aggressive of decks. however, in this case, his drawback is pretty severe, and if I'm playing, say, white weenie, if I suspect you have this guy and need to cast something for , I can just add a blue anyway, to keep you off him.

Aethertorch-
Instant
As an additional cost to cast Aethertorch, dissipate a red mana. (To dissipate a mana, remove it from the Aether.)
Aethertorch deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
"Poof! Hee hee!"~Redeye the Mad

notes: I doubt the reminder text would be necessary, and dissipate would be an evergreen keyword action, but I suppose that if it's not introduced in the first set, you'd need reminder text at some point when you brought it in, so I included it. this is designed for RDW-type deals, which might need to dump in some mana to get their engine going, but once the game advances it starts being useful to slow your opponent down, so you dissipate some of your mana to make it harder for them to get their bigger stuff out, while also getting a legit burn spell out of the deal.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
While I'm not entering, let me just say this is more Outer Limits or Tales from the Darkside than Twilight Zone. Twilight Zone twists were always ironic morality plays. The academic who prefers books to people survives Armageddon, laments the loss of the human species for five seconds before saying "At least I have my books." Then...his glasses break.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
While I'm not entering, let me just say this is more Outer Limits or Tales from the Darkside than Twilight Zone. Twilight Zone twists were always ironic morality plays. The academic who prefers books to people survives Armageddon, laments the loss of the human species for five seconds before saying "At least I have my books." Then...his glasses break.

Not always. And that's very difficult to translate into a ymtc contest.
Power of Darkness
Mana
You have

(In real magic, lands tap to produce mana.  In the Twilight Zone, mana exists on its own, and is not consumed to cast spells.  A single Power of Darkness lets you cast every spell in your hand with a cost of or .  Mana exists in the Mana Pool, not as a permanent on the battlefield, though it can be interacted with in ways similar to a permanent...)

Mana Drain

Instant
Counter target spell.  For each colored symbol in that spell's cost, remove a mana of that color from the mana pool of the spell's controller and add it to your own.

(The same concept works very differently... but is still totally broken)

Keldon Warmaster

Creature - Human Warrior
When Keldon Warmaster enters the Battlefield, remove from your mana pool
7/4

(Later on, design starts to interact with mana cards.  Notably, mana "Removed from the mana pool" and not added to any other mana pool goes to its owner's graveyard.)

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Ha, I made this contest a long time ago. Nice to see the spirit being kept alive.

In Magic: Twilight Zone Edition, all cards have no mana cost. That's right. They're free. But there's a catch: spells have a cooldown in seconds indicated by their level, and after casting one card, you must wait for that many seconds (turns) before casting another spell. Cooldowns start the moment you cast a spell and tick down one second at the beginning of your upkeep, before the draw step. During a cooldown period, your things still untap normally, your creatures still attack and block, and your planeswalkers still work. You just can't cast spells. To deal with the longer games this causes, you also don't draw cards while cooling down. 

Many spells can be cast in a deck of any color, making them effectively colorless. However, high-level spells have prerequisites and spell components that require certain colors of cards to be played. This ensures that the color identities remain constant and keeps the feeling of escalation that makes Magic games exciting.

Fizzle
Fizzle
[0th level]
Instant (C)

Cantrip (You may cast this spell even during cooldown. If you do, your cooldown is extended by this spell's level.)
Counter target spell of 1st level or less.

Rising Woodwraith
Rising Woodwraith
[2nd level]
Creature – Elemental (R)
*/*

Trample
Rising Woodwraith's power and toughness are each equal to the number of green cards in your graveyard.

Atonement
Atonement
[3rd level]
Sorcery (R)

Prerequisites: A white card in your graveyard.
Destroy all creatures.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

it'd be funny if I just cast darksteel colossus then you atonement it and we both just keep saying "go" for the next few turns

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
it'd be funny if I just cast darksteel colossus then you atonement it and we both just keep saying "go" for the next few turns

This situation would be similar to two mages in World of Warcraft waiting for their cooldowns to reset.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I thought someone had made it already, im glad it was someone awesome. Ill end this in a week regardless of whether we get 16 people.
I have to edit my entry becaaaaaaaause, I didn't know the "V" word was not allowed. It's all over the place here.

Lookit the new won~

Innocence
Instant M
This turn is treated as though you've done nothing. (Only game actions are effected, like casting spells, drawing cards, activating abilities, adding mana to your mana pool, attacking with creatures, etc.)
Draw a card.
"This could only exist in the Twilight Zone at this point." 

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

Pretty sure you were reported for spamming.

Please remember to keep your comments positive, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in.

At the end of the day we are all in this thing together, and if we don't work together we will never get anywhere!

If you have any questions or would like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Remember, Keep it clean, Keep it nice, and of course Keep it fun!

Thank you for your understanding!

Hmmm so many ways to take this.

1. Life totals as mana? - Done already I think

2. Hands and libraries as a cost? - Already done

3. So much mana available per turn? Start at 1 and increase by one every turn until you hit, let's say 5 mana?

4. Cards all require no mana, just a certain number of turns to cast? Spells move towards the battlefield one notch per turn and resolve when they get there? I'm sure I talked about this somewhere before...

5. Players compete over resource nodes that are used to cast spells? Was that what Wheel of Time did?

6. Each player has a mana generation, max output and holding capacity stat determined by a vanguard-type card? Planeswalker cards would act sort of like enchantments for your vanguard thingy I guess?

#3, 4 and 6 have potential. In the mean time I have a contest to grade.

Exactly 16 People, Grade and Start, its Friday and you promised to end it on Friday.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

In this world all mana starts out colorless and is only turned into colored mana by the effects of cards. Like MTG here on plane #C7412 mana can come from many sources, but unlike on our home plane mana in the Twilight Zone's MTG primarily comes from planeswalkers. [This was done to differentiate MTG in this universe from the way actual magic works over ther and mainatain MTG's status as a "fantasy" property]Oh but mana doesn't come from planeswalkers like what we have here. Hmm how to explain... do you know anything about the old Vanguard cards?

Freyalise of the Forest
Planeswalker
Input: 3 [~ gains # mana tokens during each of your upkeeps]
Output: 6 [~ can spend a maximum of # mana in a turn]
Capacity: 8 [~ can hold no more than # mana tokens at the end of your turn]
Once per turn you may spend any amont of colorless mana as though it were green mana.
Life: 20     Hand: 6

In this world players of MTG aren't planeswalkers, instead each deck has a planeswalker card that you begin the game with in the planeswalker zone. They are the primary means of generating mana (especially in faster decks without alterante mana sources). They don't generate mana directly though, instead they get counters on them which can be exchanged for at any time. Flavourfully your planeswalker card is the one casting your spells and taking damage from attacks. Your deck's walker determines your hand size, starting life total and mana capabilities. Most planeswalkers have some sort of extra ability too. Of course, planeswalkers in this universe are a much bigger focus of the game and it's lore.

Urza's, Titan Armour
Artifact- Equipment
Input: -1
Output: Your planeswalker's output = as long as ~ is equipped.
Life: +6
Though it increased the magnitude of his spells exponentially, Urza's armour was actually a power drain of itself.

In this world equipment etb's attatched to a planeswalker. Unlike walkers, creatures only used to get auras. Well that's how it's always been before, but the previews for the next set show a type of reattachable artifact called an accessory that you can put on creatures! I'm so pumped for Empires of Argentum!!!

Ruby Mana Crystal
Basic Artifact
: Add :R: to your mana pool. Use this ability only once per turn.
"Sometime the classsics work best" - Koth, Emperor of the Hammer

This is of course the most basic (pun intended) of the mana converter cards. The other cycle of basic "mana rocks" from Alpha cost mana to cast but can use their ability infinitely. Later sets had cards that could make two colors or had nonmana payments for their costs. The "pain rocks" from Iron Age are widely considered the best mana souirces in the game.
On a broader note, in a world where colorless mana is easy to come by, all the good cards need specific colors to cast so these guys are really important. Consequently only noobs, 5color decks, artifact combo and certain ramp strategies play artifacts above in cost.
I wanted to do a playable planeswalker ally card that would work like a second walker on the field but I really needed to show how mana filtering would get done in this strange world instead.
Exactly 16 People, Grade and Start, its Friday and you promised to end it on Friday.

Wait, I'm not done yet! I will be finished by the end of today though... hopefully...
No, I wanted more than 16 people, so you have like 4 days left or something.
Hmm.

Show

=======================

Hi, welcome to Magic without Lands Tutorial on Manaflux

Let's start by taking a look at this,

Mana Servitor -
Artifact Creature - Myr // Manaflux - 0 :
: Add to your mana pool.
1/1

What is Manaflux? It is the default method of generating mana in a game of magic. For starters, only cards with Manaflux can be placed in the Mana Base. All cards in the Mana Base, instant, creature or any other card type, are referred to as Mana Sources. Now, take a look at the Manaflux taken from Mana Servitor.

Manaflux - 0 :

The 0 stands for the number of Channeling counters it enters the mana base zone with should you choose to play it as a mana source.  is the amount of mana it will end to your mana pool when you choose to remove it from your mana base. Cards with a Channeling counter on them can't be remove for mana. For Mana Servitor, it enters without a Channeling counter on it and therefore, its mana is available for use immediately or stored for future usage. A Mana Base has no limit to the number of Mana Sources it can hold. Take note that Mana Servitor's ability adds mana directly to your mana pool. It is an alternative method of generating mana other than using Mana Sources.

Take a look at 

Sanctum Whitewing -  
Creature - Angel Cleric // Manaflux - 4 :  
Flying, Hexproof
Whenever ~ attacks or blocks, prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to you and each creature you control.
: You gain 4 life. If the Mana Source is a white card, you gain 8 life instead.
6/6 

It has "Manaflux - 4 : ", which means it enters the mana base with 4 Channeling counters on it. At the beginning of your turn, for each card in your Mana Base that has a Channeling Counter, you may remove a Mana counter from it. As long as a Mana Source has no Channeling counter on it, you may remove it from your Mana base and add that much Mana to your mana pool. The Mana Source is then placed on the bottom of your library. At end of each turn, each player draws a card for each Mana Source they removed and returned to the bottom of their libraries during the turn. The action of using a Mana Source is instanteous. No spells or abilities can be casted or activated in response to it unless stated otherwise (if any). Its last ability checks if the Mana Source is a white card for added effect, this refers to the Mana Source that was used to generate the mana. Mana produced from the abilities of cards like the previous Mana Servitor are not considered as a Mana Source. Therefore, even if Mana Servitor is white, it will not trigger the added effects of Sanctum Whitewing's last ability.

Any number of cards with Manaflux can be declared as a Mana Source but only at any time where the player could cast a sorcery unless stated otherwise.

Now, what are the properties of a Mana Source in play? A Mana Source only retains a couple of things, its name, its card types, sub-typings and any ability that is stated to be usable when the card is used as a Mana Source. :Diamond: indicates that the ability also be used when the card is a Mana Source. Mana Sources are considered to be on the battlefield and under your control. 

E.g.

Leyline Elemental -
Creature - Elemental // Manaflux - 2 :
~ gets +1/+1 for each creature you control. 
:Diamond: - , : Put or remove a Channeling counter on any Mana Source.
2/2

Leyline Elemental will count the number of creatures you have on the battlefield in addition to those that are used as Mana Sources. It's second ability may be activated regardless of whether it is a Mana Source or casted onto the battlefield as a creature. Take note that it is possible, for example, to sacrifice Creature Mana Sources as creatures to pay the cost of an ability or spell. However, the card draw at end of turn will be voided. The card draw is only given if the Mana Source is used as a Mana Source or if they were destroyed or exiled due to a spell or ability that you do not control.

To summarize the process of using a Mana Source.

1. Choose a card with Manaflux in your hand.
2. Put that card in your Mana Base. That card is now a Mana Source. Check the number beside its Manaflux and put that many Channeling counter(s) on it. If the number is 0, do not put any channeling counter on it.
3. To use a Mana Source, check it there are any Channeling counter(s) left on it. If there isn't, remove the Mana Source from your Mana Base and return it to the bottom of your Library. The amount of mana indicated by the Manaflux is added to your Mana Pool. Mana Sources can be use at any point of time.
4. At the beginning of each turn, you may remove a Channeling Counter from each of your Mana Source if it has one.
5. At the end of each turn, draw a card for each Mana Source that you used this turn or that was destroyed or exiled due to a spell or ability that you do not control this turn.

Properties of a Mana Source:

In general, they are considered to be on the battlefield and under your control. However, they do not have any abilities (Unless specified or stated otherwise.), mana cost and can't attack or block if able to. All they retain is their card type and name.

This will be the end of the tutorial.

=======================
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.