DLCR: Wild Beastmaster

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays RtR card to rate is...

Wild Beastmaster

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I didn't really like her at first because I didn't think there were enough ways to pump her.  I have been proven wrong and now have a lot of respect for her.  She is a very solid card that can win the game if you have the right back up.

3.5-4

Discuss! 

One of my favorite cards in RTR limited.

This card is pretty scary to play against if the pilot drafted a lot of pump.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I'll go 3.5 as well. It requires quite a lot of support to become a bomb, but if you can get it...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I'll go with 3-3.5
I'll go 3.5 as well. It requires quite a lot of support to become a bomb, but if you can get it...

Not really... Knightly valor on this guy with  two anything creatures is pretty strong.

bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
I agree. Any pump spell makes it a nightmare in combat. 
GIve it some Food and an Army and let it own!

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Gotta go with lobster, even if the situation arises often, it's still only situationally powerful.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Gotta go with lobster, even if the situation arises often, it's still only situationally powerful.

And situationally horrible. I've traded a bird token for this once, that felt pretty sweet.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

And situationally horrible. I've traded a bird token for this once, that felt pretty sweet.

Your opponent must have obviously really benefitted from that plus 1 plus 1 or else I'm not sure how this could happen. I mean, every card can situationally suck, but this guy has never been bad for me. 

There are uncommons I'd choose over it on rare occasion, but this seems to be a generally undervalued card, considering how late a pick I've seen it as. A bit of scavenge or even the luck to have a Giant Growth and this will allow you to cut a game very short.... but it's the only 'bomb' I've played that has been taken out by things like Abrupt Decay and even been countered with Downsize. It's frustrating when you can't get it to work...or you take the time out to MAKE it to work and are then stopped by something simple like a Blustersquall or a Druid's Deliverance.... or in response to your pump, a Street Spasm

But it makes up for its vulnerability as a bomb goes with its cheap, easy to splash cost. 
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)

There are uncommons I'd choose over it on rare occasion, but this seems to be a generally undervalued card, considering how late a pick I've seen it as. A bit of scavenge or even the luck to have a Giant Growth and this will allow you to cut a game very short.... but it's the only 'bomb' I've played that has been taken out by things like Abrupt Decay and even been countered with Downsize. It's frustrating when you can't get it to work...or you take the time out to MAKE it to work and are then stopped by something simple like a Blustersquall or a Druid's Deliverance.... or in response to your pump, a Street Spasm

But it makes up for its vulnerability as a bomb goes with its cheap, easy to splash cost. 

Blustersquall can't stop this really. You say "Declare attack phase" if he passes priority then creature will next attack. He can't then use blustersquall effectively against this card. Remember you don;t have to pump until responding to Beastmaster's trigger which doesn't take effect until after declare attackers. Of course it can be stopped, but it's usually a mid pick so no real harm done if he's shut down. But more often than not, he's a big target and he creates huge wins out of nowhere.

Your opponent must have obviously really benefitted from that plus 1 plus 1 or else I'm not sure how this could happen. I mean, every card can situationally suck, but this guy has never been bad for me. 

He did not announce the trigger so I rules-lawyered him out of that (1) extra damage. There are plenty of situations where this is not very good, although it obviously benefits from stuff like pump spells and Golgari Decoys...
If you can pick up pursuit of flight very powerful but then easy 3 color deck
If you can pick up pursuit of flight very powerful but then easy 3 color deck

Why pursuit of Flight? it's a red card...we have plenty of pump in green, white and black...the guild colors.

I mistakenly thought this would be awesome in my Selesnya Populate deck the first itme I drafted RtR because I misread and thought it was Chorus of Might stapled on a creature or something similar. I had one pump spell in my entire deck (Giant Growth). Luckily for me I never drew it, so I never realized what a terrible P2P1 pick I had made (although it wouldn't have been terrible to turn my Centaurs into Rhinos).
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I want to like this, but just never want to cast this 1/1 as my three drop.

Downsize is awesome sideboard tech against this.
Solid 3.5 for me. If I draft the Golgari deck, I feel much better about it if I have one of these. Great scavenge target. Even outside the scavenge deck, she can be quite powerful with any pump spell. Definitely an underrated card, imo.
Sign In to post comments