====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Silas "SI" Robertson, level 10
Human, Cleric/Ranger
Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Associate: Trained Young Owlbear
Inherent Bonuses
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 21, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 17, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 15, CHA 10

AC: 27 Fort: 24 Ref: 19 Will: 24
HP: 78 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Endurance +12, Insight +14, Perception +14, Religion +10, Stealth +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Athletics +10, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +8, Heal +8, History +4, Intimidate +5, Nature +8, Streetwise +5, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Cleric Attack 1: Brand of the Sun
Cleric Attack 1: Righteous Brand
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Cleric Attack 1: Mighty Hew
Ranger Attack 1: Jaws of the Wolf
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting
Cleric Attack 5: Hallowed Advance
Cleric Utility 6: Bastion of Health
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run
Cleric Utility 10: Word of Vigor

FEATS
Level 1: Mark of Storm
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Double flail)
Level 4: Flail Expertise
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Durable
Level 10: Superior Will

ITEMS
Dwarven Scale Armor +1 x1
Amulet of Life +1 x1
Boots of Adept Charging x1
Lightning Double flail +1 x1
Eberron Shard of Lightning (heroic tier)
Gem of Colloquy (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

[/sblock]

Please keep in mind that this will be for a home game with low-op and LSM players.

I am playing the primary leader supported by a DMPC that will pick up the slack in certain areas, determined by the party's weaknesses. It was pointed ou in another thread that the party needed a "better" striker so i tried to straddle the line between effective striker while still offering some leaderish stuff. I went in a different route then the Frost package with this guy for a proning build, which he'll do with every attack due to MoS/Lightning weapon/Flail Expertise.

I'm having trouble balancing survival and damage output but may have found a, sort of, midway point.
Edit: We are starting @10th level and will go to mid paragon. Inherent Bonuses and 4200gp to spend on magic items. 
I think Improved Defenses would be better than Durable, personally, especially heading into Paragon
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
I think Improved Defenses would be better than Durable, personally, especially heading into Paragon

Okay. I just cringed everytime i looked at 6 surges and for some reason that extra two made me feel... safer...
I'd also take a little less WIS for some CON if you're worried about surges.

I'd pick Irnwrought as a theme, because the resist all will also help with the surges.

I'd take Heroic Effort rather than the at-will power.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'd also take a little less WIS for some CON if you're worried about surges.

I'd pick Irnwrought as a theme, because the resist all will also help with the surges.

I'd take Heroic Effort rather than the at-will power.

What stats would you suggest? (16/14/14/13 Str/Con/Wis/Dex) Would a different race work better?(Longtooth Shifter)

I went for the CA and Party Damage booster of the Fey Beast Tamer.

Went with the bonus at-will for the save granting. Just as a sort of saftey button.
Any Str/Wis race, or even Dwarf would be better.

I would pick hybrid talent two-weapon, light blade expertise, perhaps even focus, and kill some stuff.

You have invigorating stride and some healing, i do not see survivability as the issue. And even if it were, the answer to taking too much damage is dealing more damage.

Stats I would suggest are 16/13/13/8/15/10, and drop the level 4 and level 8 boost into Str/Dex.
Wasting a feat for point of damage per [W] on half your attacks is a wasted feat.  You go light blade, rapier/shortsword.  Hybrid Talent is not a lot of use on this build at this level, but picking it up for Prime Shot in paragon to get in on the PS goodies for melee rangers would probably be worth it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Power of Skill also needs to leave when you get rid of your extra at-will from human for heroic effort (which you should do), or for picking a Str/Wis race to even things out.  While the extra damage from Righteous Brand is pretty nice, At-will Saving throws is pretty nice as well, especially on an ability that is naturally radiant.

Durable needs to leave.

If you are proning at-will and looking for extra damage Headman's Chop is the way to go.  Especially if multiattacking.

Your D1 should be a Cleric D1.  Moment of Glory completely neuters some encounters (especially low level ones if you aren't starting at 10) if you are being more of a leader (although it will take your minor action to sustain and not have you putting out damage) and Weapon of Astral Flame is a nice minor action attack for the whole encounter.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Mul is also a solid choice here.  Extra surge, racial power is great, choice of dwarf or human feats.  If it's a low OP game, don't worry too hard as long as you're getting the Strength boost, and the DM is adjusting accordingly.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
*snip*

If you are proning at-will and looking for extra damage Headman's Chop is the way to go.  Especially if multiattacking.

*snip*

If he's using a Lightning double flail with Flail Expertise and Mark of Storm, where's he getting the heavy blade/axe to benefit from Headsman's Chop?

*snip*

*snip*

If he's using a Lightning double flail with Flail Expertise and Mark of Storm, where's he getting the heavy blade/axe to benefit from Headsman's Chop?

Remnant left over from part of the post I deleted.  The first half of that paragraph was about switching to dwarf, taking Dwarven Weapon training and then you can see the connection.  I later realized that doing so would change the entire character (including not proning at will) but forgot to delete the last line.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
*snip*

*snip*

Remnant left over from part of the post I deleted.  The first half of that paragraph was about switching to dwarf, taking Dwarven Weapon training and then you can see the connection.  I later realized that doing so would change the entire character (including not proning at will) but forgot to delete the last line.

Ahh.  Editing issues strike again!

I disagree on dropping Durable. In a low op group, 6 surges is terrible on a melee character when your surgeless healing options are close to nil (Dwarven Scale only). I'd keep Durable. I'd maybe drop Dex to 12, and bump Con to 11, and train out of Durable when you hit paragon and find a healer's sash or two (provided you have a few healthier party members). I think everything you have is fine except I'm not too fond of the level 1 and 9 dailies. I'd pick up stuff that will have a more lasting impact on the fight, than single use dailies. You don't have a whole lot of immediates and prone people at your feet are likely to attack you, so maybe Snarling Wolf.

Looks like there is some work i need to be doing on the build. Maybe i'm just trying to cram too many options into one build and not focusing properly. Back to the drawing board.
Alright, i approached this version a little differently. More striker with some leader thrown in. All healing/survival focused utilities. Three immediate action attacks per encounter in Mighty Hew, Disruptive Strike and Battle Awareness and Snarling Wolf Stance for an extra bit of Daily out of turn smackage. Went for some Frosty goodies/ Shifterness, seemed to fit thematically. Sohei Theme, Weapon of Astral Flame along with Ruffling Sting give me some minor action attacks. Items give me a bit of survivability. I will more than likely go with Paragon of Victory for my PP unless there is a better option.

Questions/Comments would be...
Better stat array?

Better Theme? 

I think i like this version better than the last. Race/Class combo fits a little better with a good stat synergy and some regen while bloodied. This version has a more tolerable Hp/Surges/Surge Value for a front liner while not really needing to invest into Toughness/Durable.
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Silas Robertson, level 10
Longtooth Shifter, Ranger/Cleric
Hybrid Ranger Option: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
Inherent Bonuses
Aglarond (Aglarond Benefit)
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 27 Fort: 23 Ref: 18 Will: 24
HP: 71 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 17

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Endurance +15, Insight +18, Perception +19, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Athletics +12, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +4, Intimidate +5, Nature +9, Stealth +6, Streetwise +5, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sohei Attack: Sohei Flurry
Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Cleric Utility: Healing Word
Cleric Attack 1: Brand of the Sun
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Cleric Attack 1: Mighty Hew
Cleric Attack 1: Weapon of Astral Flame
Ranger Utility 2: Invigorating Stride
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger Attack 3: Ruffling Sting
Ranger Attack 5: Snarling Wolf Stance
Cleric Utility 6: Bastion of Health
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run
Cleric Utility 10: Word of Vigor

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Double sword)
Level 2: Light Blade Expertise
Level 4: Silvery Glow
Level 6: Battle Awareness
Level 8: Wary Fighter
Level 10: Superior Will

ITEMS
Frost Double sword +1 x1
Dwarven Scale Armor +1 x1
Amulet of Life +1 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

Holy Celerity over Bastion of Health. Immobilize leaves you pretty hosed otherwise, and Healing Word/Words of Vigor is pretty sufficient in most situations. Snarling Wolf Stance might end up giving you IA overload issues. I would maybe consider Frenzied Skirmish just so that between it and Attacks on the Run, you have superior nova options twice a day, and Weapon of Astral Flame for a third.

Sohei is perfectly fine for theme, I think. 
Holy Celerity over Bastion of Health. Immobilize leaves you pretty hosed otherwise, and Healing Word/Words of Vigor is pretty sufficient in most situations. Snarling Wolf Stance might end up giving you IA overload issues. I would maybe consider Frenzied Skirmish just so that between it and Attacks on the Run, you have superior nova options twice a day, and Weapon of Astral Flame for a third.

Sohei is perfectly fine for theme, I think. 

We will have a DMPC who could be picking up some slack with healing so options for other things outside healing would help shore up some other weaknesses within the group.

I'll definitley look at Frenzied Skirmish and Holy Celerity. Thanks.

Sign In to post comments