Dragons in 3.5

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
A friend told me that there are cannon circumstances in which a true dragon can be raised by a metallic dragon, is this true?
A friend told me that there are cannon circumstances in which a true dragon can be raised by a metallic dragon, is this true?

Metallic dragons are one of the kinds of true dragon, along with chromatic dragons, gem dragons, lung dragons, and planar dragons (and a few extra individual breeds here and there).  Obviously, metallic dragons will raise their own offspring, which are also true dragons, so in the most literal sense, metallic dragons can indeed raise true dragons.

That said, it sounds like you're asking about the possibility of true dragons of one particular breed or kind raising the offspring of another breed of true dragon.  The Draconomicon provides some rules on rearing a wyrmling (on page 13) which state that dragons instinctively defer to older dragons of the same kind.  It doesn't specifically address rearing by a different kind of dragon (since it's aimed at non-dragon player characters trying to raise their own dragon), though it could well be used for that, and it notes that the character cannot have an alignment opposed to the dragon they're trying to rear on either alignment axis.

It's not clear whether the dragon being raised would defer to an older dragon of an opposing kind, or if it would attempt to escape (as happens if a character fails to persuade a wyrmling to accept their guidance), though it would still be possible for the elder dragon to outright imprison the wyrmling and raise it by keeping it captive.  It could also be possible to apply mind control of some kind, though I'd put that in the same class as captivity since it's a forced arrangement.

But although it's not impossible, it's pretty unlikely that certain kinds of dragon would willingly raise the offspring of opposing types, such as a black dragon (an evil-aligned chromatic dragon) raising a silver dragon (a good-aligned metallic dragon), and it probably wouldn't be raising in the normal sense of the word even were they to do so.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I'm not familiar with any canon to back up the idea of i.e. a Green Dragon raising a Bronze Dragon or something like that, and I'd considder it pretty unlikely for it to happen.  But that being said, we are talking about intelligent creatures here, and on one level I can envision an evil dragon stealing an egg of a good dragon and trying to raise it as it's own, as part of some sort of long term scheme/plan.  But again.  If it happens, I believe that it would be increadibly rare.
I'm not familiar with any canon to back up the idea of i.e. a Green Dragon raising a Bronze Dragon or something like that, and I'd considder it pretty unlikely for it to happen.  But that being said, we are talking about intelligent creatures here, and on one level I can envision an evil dragon stealing an egg of a good dragon and trying to raise it as it's own, as part of some sort of long term scheme/plan.  But again.  If it happens, I believe that it would be increadibly rare.

That happened in Land of the Minotaurs (Dragonlance novel taking place after the first War of the Lance).  A red dragon was keeping a silver dragon in captivity.  Your assumption is not unreasonable, and it can go the other way, though for different reasons.  I could see a metallic dragon raising a chromatic for reasons of altruism.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I could see a metallic dragon raising a chromatic for reasons of altruism.

I could see one trying, but the impression I get is that it would end up as a slightly more benign form of captivity due to the inborn differences between the breeds.

I mean, the vast majority of chromatic dragons have evil as their natural state; they may not be as purely evil in body and soul as a fiend, but I imagine you could bury them in love and kittens from day one and still have them turn out evil because they're not the same kind of blank slate as your average human.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
I imagine it is risk vs reward. They can be raised on the hopes that they can overcome their natural tendencies, and they may even be successful. However I find it more likely for it to turn out Neutral rather then actually Good aligned, still greedy as far as gold and treasure is concenred and very agressive. A kind a creature that even if neutral could snap over to evil at any moment.

When the Atonement spell is tossed in, a Nuetral Dragon raised by Good dragons might be receptive to an Atonement spell. In fact it might even be needed to raise the dragon without it being a captive/imprisoned creature.

It may turn evil later on, due to it's natural tendencies, but it is still a posibility for it to remain good.
I was refering to the chromatic dragons when I said true dragons, thanks for the help.