Cavalier Sorcerer Hybrid, Looking for Advice

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is a build that I've been working on, I plan on using a radiant weapon to take advantage of the radiant vulnerability provided by morninglord--  I chose Avatar of Io for the stat boost.  Nothing is set in stone for the build.

Cavasorc, level 21
Dragonborn, Sorcerer|Cavalier, Morninglord, Avatar of Io
Sorcerous Power: Sorcerous Power Strength
Hybrid Cavalier: Hybrid Cavalier Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 25, Con 12, Dex 15, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 27.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 17.

AC: 35 Fort: 27 Reflex: 23 Will: 33
HP: 140 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 36

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +23, Intimidate +25, Athletics +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Arcana +11, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +10, Heal +10, History +13, Insight +12, Nature +10, Perception +12, Religion +11, Stealth +11, Streetwise +18, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
Level 2: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 4: Hybrid Talent
Level 6: Superior Implement Training (Accurate dagger)
Level 8: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 10: Two-Weapon Defense
Level 11: White Lotus Riposte
Level 12: Superior Will
Level 14: War Wizardry
Level 16: Two-Weapon Opening
Level 18: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 20: Eyes in the Back of Your Head
Feat User Choice: Implement Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 21: Agile Opportunist

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Acid Orb
Hybrid encounter 1: Holy Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Lightning Breath
Hybrid utility 2: Call of Challenge
Hybrid encounter 3: Flame Spiral
Hybrid daily 5: Sign of Vulnerability
Hybrid utility 6: Sudden Scales
Hybrid encounter 7: Spark Form
Hybrid daily 9: Adamantine Echo
Hybrid utility 10: Narrow Escape
Hybrid encounter 13: Holy Smite (Second Use) (replaces Holy Smite)
Hybrid daily 15: Lightning Daggers (replaces Lightning Breath)
Hybrid utility 16: Triumphant Roar
Hybrid encounter 17: Azure Talons (replaces Flame Spiral)
Hybrid daily 19: Deathguide's Sanction (replaces Sign of Vulnerability)

This is a build that I've been working on, I plan on using a radiant weapon to take advantage of the radiant vulnerability provided by morninglord--  I chose Avatar of Io for the stat boost.  Nothing is set in stone for the build.

Your build has some serious weaknesses.

I'm assuming that the important thing for you is to combine the Morninglord's vulnerability trick with the Sorcerer's damage bonuses and powers.  You didn't specify equipment, but you're using a radiant weapon, right?

First problem: Hybriding Cavalier takes more away from the build than it adds.  You gain proficiency in plate and two healing surges, but you lose a Sorcerer at-will, encounter, and daily.  Your Paladin at-will and daily don't get the Sorcerer damage bonus or Dual Implement Spellcaster bonus, so they're basically deadweight.  And Holy Smite, even with the Morninglord vulnerability kick, doesn't do as much damage as a real sorcerer encounter power.

Second problem: Retraining Flame Spiral is a really bad idea.  Flame Spiral is one of the best striker powers out there, because the secondary damage roll gets all your bonuses (like the Sorcerer damage bonus, Dual Implement Spellcaster, enhancement, and feat bonuses, plus the Morninglord vulnerability kick).  So it's like doing two (or even more, depending on party composition and tactics) attacks to three monsters.  Azure Talons is not even close.

Third problem: Sorcerous Blade Channeling, by RAW, does not turn Acid Orb into a melee basic attack.  The only surefire way to do that is to be a Shadar-Kai (or Revenant Shadar-Kai) with the Reaper's Touch feat.

So, with all this, the question is: what is most important to you in this build?

Third problem: Sorcerous Blade Channeling, by RAW, does not turn Acid Orb into a melee basic attack.  The only surefire way to do that is to be a Shadar-Kai (or Revenant Shadar-Kai) with the Reaper's Touch feat.

So, with all this, the question is: what is most important to you in this build?

As far as acid orb goes, the DM in this campaign allows for it to be used as an MBA, so that isn't as much of an issue.  And, like I mentioned, I do plan on picking up a radiant weapon to make use of morninglord properly.  Edit:  I didn't specify other equipment as I wasn't entirely sure what to pick up outside of that and possibly a rhythm blade.

I was mostly interested in getting a bit more use out of the defender aura and righteous radiance than simply MCing into Cavalier would allow without sacrificing too much on the sorcerer side of things to do so.

Defender Auras are far less useful in Epic due to the large number of creatures who have Reach.  Classes with true mark and punishment mechanics do much better in Epic because of this.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Defender Auras are far less useful in Epic due to the large number of creatures who have Reach.  Classes with true mark and punishment mechanics do much better in Epic because of this.

So would it be better to hybrid Paladin instead, or is MC the way to go?

So would it be better to hybrid Paladin instead, or is MC the way to go?

MCing is definitely better.  Also, your stat allocation is off.  If you're starting at 21st, the optimal starting allocation for a Dragonborn Dragon Soul is
18 Str, 11 Con, 13 Dex, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 18 Cha. At 21st, you'll then have
26 Str, 13 Con, 15 Dex, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 26 Cha.

Oh, and as for equipment, definitely invest in a Ring of Tenacious Will.

MCing is definitely better.  Also, your stat allocation is off.  If you're starting at 21st, the optimal starting allocation for a Dragonborn Dragon Soul is
18 Str, 11 Con, 13 Dex, 8 Int, 10 Wis, 18 Cha. At 21st, you'll then have
26 Str, 13 Con, 15 Dex, 10 Int, 12 Wis, 26 Cha.

Oh, and as for equipment, definitely invest in a Ring of Tenacious Will.

For the future, would you use that same starting allocation for starting in lower heroic tier or paragon?  Will certainly be getting that ring.

As far as acid orb goes, the DM in this campaign allows for it to be used as an MBA, so that isn't as much of an issue.  And, like I mentioned, I do plan on picking up a radiant weapon to make use of morninglord properly.  Edit:  I didn't specify other equipment as I wasn't entirely sure what to pick up outside of that and possibly a rhythm blade.

I was mostly interested in getting a bit more use out of the defender aura and righteous radiance than simply MCing into Cavalier would allow without sacrificing too much on the sorcerer side of things to do so.

Could have sworn I commented on this earlier, but maybe I didn't hit post or something.

One thing I would ask is to make sure that your DM won't one day realize that he is not doing it right and then force you to fix it somehow.  If your DM is just ignorant of the rule you probably shouldn't build around ignorance.  If, on the other hand, your DM knows it doesn't work, knows why it doesn't work and is houseruling it to work then have at it.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Pali Sorc can work but you should increase your CHA whenever you can, as you wont really get much traction from your STR stat. If you start from the generic paladin get Virtuous Strike. Virtuous Strike keys off CHA, is an MBA, does radiant damage, and grants you a bonus to your saving throws. If you get the Arcane Domain you can also grant Virtuous the Arcane Keyword, which opens it up to some of your Sorc bonuses and powers. In this way, you can have a true MBA, that combines your Divine and Arcane powers, without blurring any rules.  

Pali Sorc can work but you should increase your CHA whenever you can, as you wont really get much traction from your STR stat. If you start from the generic paladin get Virtuous Strike. Virtuous Strike keys off CHA, is an MBA, does radiant damage, and grants you a bonus to your saving throws. If you get the Arcane Domain you can also grant Virtuous the Arcane Keyword, which opens it up to some of your Sorc bonuses and powers. In this way, you can have a true MBA, that combines your Divine and Arcane powers, without blurring any rules.

You don't get the Sorcerer damage bonuses for Virtuous Strike on a hybrid Paladin|Sorc, even with Power of Arcana...although your Dual Implement Spellcaster bonuses and White Lotus tricks would work.

Could have sworn I commented on this earlier, but maybe I didn't hit post or something.

One thing I would ask is to make sure that your DM won't one day realize that he is not doing it right and then force you to fix it somehow.  If your DM is just ignorant of the rule you probably shouldn't build around ignorance.  If, on the other hand, your DM knows it doesn't work, knows why it doesn't work and is houseruling it to work then have at it.

I knew it didn't work that way, I just gave it to him because that's how I've wanted it to work as a player before and I'm not a complete dick (though I did kill a player tonight, oops) I like the improv.

Gotcha.  Houserules are fine, preying on DM ignorance is not ok.  Just wanted to check.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here