D&D Next should simply be called...

Dungeons & Dragons. Having "Next" or "fifth edition" just makes it look less serious in my opinion. By calling it Dungeons & Dragons you show that you are serious about this. That it's something you developers have invested in, and that it's something that will be worth for fans to invest in.  
I think the next edition should have no name on it, as a proof of D&D superiority over the other fantasy RPGs, with just a lot of dragons flying over a lot of dungeons.

Or no title, but a lovely drawn rebus instead.
At the moment I'm leaning toward "Next" or "Fifth Edition" and cutting out "Dungeons & Dragons." Cry
Dungeons Module Style

/begin viral techno beat

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

they can print whatever they want on the cover of the book, but in the end, it'll just get called 5th edition anyway.
they can print whatever they want on the cover of the book, but in the end, it'll just get called 5th edition anyway.

That's probably true for 2 reasons.  One, it actually is the 5th edition.  And two, 5e is a quick and easy way to say it.  You'd need something else just as easy to actually have a hope of replacing it.  Maybe DDM (Dungeons & Dragons, Modular).  But I doubt it.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Dungeons & Dragons: Extreme Edition

...very 90's, but I think we already did that.

Dungeons and Dragons: Why Can't We Be Friends Edition

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Just get rid of "NEXT".  That title is so damn PRETENTIOUS.  Blarg, I hate it!  Everything is NEXT nowadays, I hate it soooo much!  NEXT NEXT NEXT *rage*

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!

Hugs & Tolerance?

Just get rid of "NEXT".  That title is so damn PRETENTIOUS.  Blarg, I hate it!  Everything is NEXT nowadays, I hate it soooo much!  NEXT NEXT NEXT *rage*

Actually, "Next" seems more 90s or turn-of-the-millenium to me.  But I agree it is a bit pretentious.  I kind of assumed it was a project or "development" moniker for the playtest.  If anything beyond the playtest is called "Next" my face will resemble -_-

"I want 'punch magic in the face' to be a maneuver." -- wrecan

Hugs & Tolerance?

I prefer GRIMDARK & ONLY WAR

Just get rid of "NEXT".  That title is so damn PRETENTIOUS.  Blarg, I hate it!  Everything is NEXT nowadays, I hate it soooo much!  NEXT NEXT NEXT *rage*

Actually, "Next" seems more 90s or turn-of-the-millenium to me.  But I agree it is a bit pretentious.  I kind of assumed it was a project or "development" moniker for the playtest.  If anything beyond the playtest is called "Next" my face will resemble -_-

I thought "something-2000" was the fad of the 90s/turn of the millenium.  As for NEXT, there's Pepsi Next.  I'm sure other companies have taken up the gimmick recently...

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
How about Basically Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Next Edition Five Rereboot Again?

In fact, I'm going with that. Here's a drink to BADDNEFRA! Happy New Year!
Color me flattered.

Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

How about Basically Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Next Edition Five Rereboot Again? In fact, I'm going with that. Here's a drink to BADDNEFRA! Happy New Year!

Sure, why not?  As for the drinks, I'll pass.  Anymore and well, morning will be a real headache.  It probably will anyway.

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
How about "The 5th Wheel"? Since they constantly reinvent the thing.
How about "The 5th Wheel"? Since they constantly reinvent the thing.

Every edition, all the time, lol

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
New D&D

...we all know what happened to that soft-drink... 
The Wonderful World of Disney presents:  Dungeons and Single Parent Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons: The Next Generation
Dragons & Dungeons.
That's actually the plan. They're hoping to just call it Dungeons and Dragons. No edition identifier, no basic, no advanced, no Next. Everybody will call it 5e, of course, but the plan is for the official name to just be Dungeons and Dragons. Next is just the design name for the playtest.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
That's actually the plan. They're hoping to just call it Dungeons and Dragons. No edition identifier, no basic, no advanced, no Next. Everybody will call it 5e, of course, but the plan is for the official name to just be Dungeons and Dragons. Next is just the design name for the playtest.

Darn, I was really hoping Dungeons & Drgaons The Next Generation.
Go where no adventurer have gone before! *plays Star Trek The Next Generation Theme Music*

Next is just a placeholder project title I'm sure. Just like project eternity or the Nintendo Dolphin. It'll probably be just Dungeons and Dragons.
My two copper.
The 40th anniversary edition D&D.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Since its supposed to be inclusive and an anniversary is coming up its gonna be.

D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline edition.

Since its not using much from 3rd and 4th ed that actually did work well it will be followed with

D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline.5 edition.

Which fixes up some of the screw ups they made the 1st time around.

Fear is the Mind Killer

"D&D"

That's it.  If Kentucky Fried Chicken can cut the brand down to three UTF-8 chars, so can Dungeons and Dragons.

D&D Next should simply be called...Dungeons & Dragons

I agree. Mike Mearls also said during his AMA on Redddit that he'd like to just call it D&D! Wink

transmogrifyIs the game really going to be called D&D Next?
mikemearls: Next is what we're calling it right now, but it won't make any sense as the final name. I'd like to just call it D&D.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Dungeons & Dragons V.

Darn, I was really hoping Dungeons & Drgaons The Next Generation.
Go where no adventurer have gone before! *plays Star Trek The Next Generation Theme Music*

Yes, I want this!! 

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
It's just smoke and lights they are using to disguise yet another edition they are rolling out. They'll call 6th edition something different too when they roll it out in five years. 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Dungeons & Dragons: A Link to the Past.
Dungeons and/or Dragons. Don't railroad players to a particular playing style!

Hugs & Tolerance?

My Little Dungeons & Dragons: Friendship is Magic

D&D Experience Level: Relatively new First Edition: 4th Known Editions: 4th, 3.5 --- Magic Experience Level: Fairly skilled First Expansion: 7th Edition Play Style: Very Casual

Hugs & Tolerance?

My Little Dungeons & Dragons: Friendship is Magic

Or Dungeons & Dragons: Friendship is Magic

I support this. 

Since its supposed to be inclusive and an anniversary is coming up its gonna be.

Since its not using much from 3rd and 4th ed that actually did work well it will be followed with

Bonus points if/when they come out with D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline Essentials.

Bonus points if/when they come out with D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline Essentials.

That its confirmed. The follow ups are.

D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline.5essentials edition

and

D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline.5essentials.5 edition

also
D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline.5essentials.5playersoption

and
D&D 40th,I,II,III,IV,V pleasebuymebecausemyjobisontheline.5essentials.5playersoption.5

Fear is the Mind Killer

Terminal edition? Final rejection? Infinate expulsion? End retraction? Magical misdirection? Monetary malfunction.
Terminal edition? Final rejection? Infinate expulsion? End retraction? Magical misdirection? Monetary malfunction.

Maybe they can take a hint from Square (Final Fantasy) and Tecmo (Dead or Alive).  These companies feared that their most beloved franchises would fail, hence the names.  At least, that's what I've heard from sources. 

Also, has the return from avalon begun?  Will our knights return to a silver age?

• JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Call it "Dungeons & Dragons" but print the term "5th Edition" onto the box/box/PDF as well.
Everybody then can call it as they want.

My players will call it "D'n'D five dot zero" anyway no matter what...

"v3.5" has ruined the naming forever. 
Dungeons & Dragons. Having "Next" or "fifth edition" just makes it look less serious in my opinion. By calling it Dungeons & Dragons you show that you are serious about this. That it's something you developers have invested in, and that it's something that will be worth for fans to invest in.  

It's not gonna have a big NEXT in the title on the book.  It's gonna say Dungeons and Dragons just like the last two editions.  Hopefully if it has any kind of Edition nomenclature, whether it's at the bottom of the cover or on the title page, I'm hoping it says "Fifth Edition"
Do it like Magic: The Gathering does.

1st edition is Vintage D&D
2nd edition is Legacy D&D
3rd edition is Modern D&D
4th edition is Extended D&D
5th edition is Standard D&D. 
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
Dungeons & Dragons: The Next Generation

D&D XP