Old Player finally trying to come back!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wow, it's been way way too long for me.  I'm much older than most I assume (27) and I started collecting during beta and heavily once Unlimited came out.  I collected up untill Urza's Saga.

I have been reading up on all the new additions and it's getting me very pumped to dust of my old cards, buy some new ones and revive my old decks.  My favorite deck as a kid was my black discard deck.  I love creature combat as well as just pissing off the other player (hand revealing, force discards) and just having fun.

I guess if I had to choose, I would say I prefer black, white and green and any combo of the two.  Anyway, I can't wait to see what I uncover in my storage and want to get some opinions on the new stuff that has come out since I stopped ( I know it's a ton!).  

Well, glad to be getting back into it and hopefully be getting to my FNM here in town soon! 
Wow, it's been way way too long for me.  I'm much older than most I assume (27) and I started collecting during beta and heavily once Unlimited came out.  I collected up untill Urza's Saga.

I'm not sure I would assume that at all. I, for one, am 46. There are a number of Magic players who have played for a long time now and the game was first published in 1993. Return to Ravnica, in particular seem to have brought back a lot of players. In any case, welcome back. You will like Duress.
I'm 29 btw.

You may want to "dust off your old cards" very carefully. Beta edition cards are very valuable these days so you don't want to mess them up if they're in a playable condition.

There are tons of options for new decks. You can still use your old cards in legacy and vintage tournaments. Many of the cards have been reprinted and any that have been reprinted since 2003 in a core set or an expansion set will be legal in modern. Some cards (giant growth for example) have been reprinted in standard.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Thanks for the replies and it's good to see and talk to some players close to my age.  Most of my cards are in sleeves but I know many where not.  I'm getting my brother's help today to help me get back deep in my storage to find the cards.  I will of course be careful.  I know I don't have any beta mox's or an alpha mint lotus, but if I can remember that far back, I know I have some shivan's, most of the elementals, tons of old black cards and I remember icy manipulator was awesome as well.  

I was just looking at all of the unlimited cards on a website the other day and my god does it bring back great memories.  I have a friend that got heavily into it when I quit (and did very well for himself and was able to pay for any cards he wanted) and was gonna play with me and catch me up on the new rules and abilities in actual gameplay instead of me reading myself into oblivian, haha.  

Thanks again and you'll see me on here much more.  Happy new year! 
Did someone say oblivion?

Have fun rediscovering your old cards! And the new ones...
I will!

Also, do they not sell the 60 card packs anymore?  Is it just booster packs and booster pack boxes?  I remember buying the (I think it was 60) card packs, booster packs and those big ol' box sets of like 200 cards as well.

Also, do they not sell the 60 card packs anymore?  Is it just booster packs and booster pack boxes?  I remember buying the (I think it was 60) card packs, booster packs and those big ol' box sets of like 200 cards as well!

The 75-card tournament packs are no more. The basic products now are:

- Booster pack (single, box, case)
- Fat Pack (= storage box, 9 booster packs, 40 basic lands, player's guide, spindown counter, and a few other items)
- Deckbuilders Toolkit (125 semi-random cards, 100 basic lands, 4 booster packs from different Standard-legal expansion sets)
- Intro Packs (60-card preconstructed deck, typically five different ones, one for each color or guild)
- Event decks (60-card preconstructed deck with 15-card sideboard, Standard legal and more competitive than intro packs, typically two different ones)
- Battle Pack (two semi-random 22-card packs, each typically tied to a color or theme, and two booster packs)

Thanks Hreth.  Very helpful.  I'm thinking an event deck and some boosters will get me started up again.  Man, I miss that smell of new cards, :P
buying boosters just for cards is not a good economical decision
of course, if you enjoy the lottery aspect of it or if you have someone to draft with, go for it

when going for the Event Decks keep in mind that only the RTR ones are currently fully Standard legal
older Event Decks could be salvaged to a degree, but that kinda defeats their purpose

one product that hasn't been mentioned yet and of which I'm a huge fan are Duel Decks
while not Standard legal they are a great deal of fun to play with a friend, if you can get them at MSRP ($20) they are excellent value
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yea, I uncovered some old duel decks I used to have and I agree they are fun.  As far as your input on boosters, I totally agree to it being not economical, but it's fun picking one or two out just for poop's and giggles (swearing aloud here?).  Also, thanks for the heads up on the current Standard Legal Event Decks.  I'll probably just be playing Standard for a bit till I get some chops back.

Thanks for your reply Enigma, take it sleezy. 
buying boosters just for cards is not a good economical decision
of course, if you enjoy the lottery aspect of it or if you have someone to draft with, go for it

You've heard me say this before, but I'm a great fan of Pack Wars, which drastically increases the return on investment of booster packs in terms of sheer entertainment value. But, if you are just opening packs for the sake of cracking them open, hoping to find money cards, you are absolutely right. My situation may be a bit special since everyone in the family plays.
The Pack Wars idea seems pretty fun, thanks for the suggestion.  But I will eventually need to get to a FNM to find some players in my area first!
The Pack Wars idea seems pretty fun, thanks for the suggestion.  But I will eventually need to get to a FNM to find some players in my area first!

Yeah, it really helps to have family and friends for pack wars. Here are the rules:

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx...

One missing detail from the rules is that you take out the basic land that the booster pack came with. So you have 14 cards from the booster pack and 15 basic lands, three of each type, for 29 total. If you get a foil basic land, you could technically end up with 16 basic lands.

Sign In to post comments