What are some more creature cards like these

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leveler Eater of Days

You know big creatures for cheap, with horrible side effects.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Don't be too smart to have fun

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

The demon doesn't qualify, Pirate, because you don't have to start popping humans when you want to, and it's a 9/9 with three evasion abilities.

Force of Nature does, though. One Armageddon and you're taking 8 each turn.
Erhnam Djinn can very easily. Especially if your opponent's playing infect.
Skyshroud Behemoth's not so masochistic, but his fading and lack of any sort of evasion ability or even pseudo-evasive abilities like trample makes him fairly weak. These days, he's chow for Kresh the Bloodbraided or The Mimeoplasm more than anything.
Rakdos, Lord of Riots comes to mind, especially in multiplayer.
Phyrexian Negator goes to show the best way to deal with card disadvantage is more card disadvantage.
Lord of the Pit and Yawgmoth Demon were some of black's first.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The demon doesn't qualify, Pirate, because you don't have to start popping humans when you want to, and it's a 9/9 with three evasion abilities.

Force of Nature does, though. One Armageddon and you're taking 8 each turn.
Erhnam Djinn can very easily. Especially if your opponent's playing infect.
Skyshroud Behemoth's not so masochistic, but his fading and lack of any sort of evasion ability or even pseudo-evasive abilities like trample makes him fairly weak. These days, he's chow for Kresh the Bloodbraided or The Mimeoplasm more than anything.
Rakdos, Lord of Riots comes to mind, especially in multiplayer.
Phyrexian Negator goes to show the best way to deal with card disadvantage is more card disadvantage.
Lord of the Pit and Yawgmoth Demon were some of black's first.

I think Archdemon of Greed counts, because it is a 9/9 for five mana with a drawback that hurts you. You choose to transform it just like you choose to cast Leveler.

Erhnam Djinn, Lord of the Pit, and Yawgmoth Demon are not big creatures for cheap. They are big, but they cost a lot of mana.

I do not think Skyshroud Behemoth counts, because its drawback does not hurt you. It just makes the creature weaker.

Rakdos, Lord of Riots is all upside, so I do not know what you mean with him.
I think most of the big ones have been covered. Let me see if I can fill in some of the remaining holes:

There's also Iwamori of the Open Fist to add to the Tempting Wurm and Hunted Wumpus stack. 
PirateAmmo missed two of the Hunted creatures: Hunted Dragon and Hunted Lammasu.
For  a more recent card there's Treacherous Pit-Dweller. Demonlord of Ashmouth is another Undying creature with a drawback, but it's considerably easier to work around. (And potentially much more powerful)
The Avatar of Discord certainly requires quite a price to keep around.
Ruinous Minotaur is fun because it's totally drawback free... Until you actually connect.

For cards that start small you have the Hatchling cycle of enemy pair 6/6s that start as 2/2s until you play enough spells. Canker Abomination is another 4 mana 6/6 that has the drawback of being smaller for each creature the opponent has. Desecration Demon is another 4 mana 6/6 that can be stopped from ever even attacking by the sacrifice of a measly Arbor Elf. Goblin Goon and Grinning Demon are other 4 mana 6/6s with drawbacks of relatively minor severity.

Mijae Djinn is a creature that is purely luck based in its drawback, which tends to be harder to work around.

If you're running a goblin deck, Stenchskipper may not have much of a drawback at all for you.

Pangosaur is fun, but good luck keeping it in play until late game. Argothian Wurm and its timeshifted cousin Shivan Wumpus are both cards you may find yourself casting over and over again before they finally stick.

Personally I'm a fan of Dust Elemental which works wonders as a combat trick until you can get the necessary manpower to send it in permanently. The Shah of Naar Isle and Volcano Hellion are both fun, but keeping them around long enough to attack can be costly.

Not really nasty, but Deep-Slumber Titan fits the bill of cheap-but-huge creatures with a drawback. Ruhan of the Fomori doesn't even have a drawback in a two player game, but IS huge. Woolly Razorback doesn't have a painful drawback to you, but it does have one nonetheless.

There's also a bunch of 1 mana 3 power guys with drawbacks like Scythe Tiger and Rogue Elephant and Circling Vultures and Kjeldoran Dead and Slumbering Dragon and Sleeper Agent.

... Turns out there were more creatures than I thought that fit your criteria. As for how I dredged up this list? I searched for creatures in Gatherer with CMC 4 or less and sort from greatest power to least and worked my way down the list.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)

I meant Rakdos the Defiler: "Pop half your permanents to attack" is a pretty bad downside.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

I meant Rakdos the Defiler: "Pop half your permanents to attack" is a pretty bad downside.

.....but, it's not cheap

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...