Attack order?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
During the combat damage step, who decides in which order the creatures will be dealt damage?
I assume the attacking player gets to decide what creature he wants to "hit" first, right? 
All damage is dealt simultanously, there is no decision to make.
MTG Rules Advisor
All damage is dealt at the same time (barring first strike).
All damage is dealt simultaneously, but when a single attacking creature is blocked by multiple blockers, the attacking player chooses the order in which damage is assigned to those creatures.

Likewise, when a single blocking creature blocks multiple attackers, the defending player chooses the order in which damage is assigned to the attackers.

Damage orders are assigned during the Declare Blockers step before players receive priority.
All damage is dealt simultaneously, but when a single attacking creature is blocked by multiple blockers, the attacking player chooses the order in which damage is assigned to those creatures.

Likewise, when a single blocking creature blocks multiple attackers, the defending player chooses the order in which damage is assigned to the attackers.

Damage orders are assigned during the Declare Blockers step before players receive priority.

Interesting, I thought there was no point where players received priority between damage assignment and resolution.
Interesting, I thought there was no point where players received priority between damage assignment and resolution.

There isn't. 

What puzzledmint is talking about is the gap between the announcement of the damage-assignment order (eg "i'll kill that one first, then that one"), and the assignment of damage (eg "i assign 2 damage to the first, and 1 damage to the second"). The damage-assignment order is announced when blockers are declared. After blockers are declared, both players get a chance to play spells. If there are no more spells, we move on to the combat damage step, where combat damage gets assigned and then dealt in rapid succession.

There isn't. 

What puzzledmint is talking about is the gap between the announcement of the damage-assignment order (eg "i'll kill that one first, then that one"), and the assignment of damage (eg "i assign 2 damage to the first, and 1 damage to the second"). The damage-assignment order is announced when blockers are declared. After blockers are declared, both players get a chance to play spells. If there are no more spells, we move on to the combat damage step, where combat damage gets assigned and then dealt in rapid succession.

Well, I still learned something new, I thought that was all one step.

Sign In to post comments