MMOTCG in development

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey! We're working on a new online trading card game. Long time magic players, as well as other card games. We are just looking to see what you guys think is most important in keeping a game balanced, fun, and interested. Any advice will definitely help. We'll have something up on kickstarter in a few weeks. We just want to know, what is most important to you?
if you're making it online, please don't put in an AI. online card games with AIs, by necessity, have very simple rules so that the computer can correctly play them. focus on making the player-to-player interactions fun, then see if maybe you can get an AI to do it. but don't dumb things down just for that.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Tension is very important for fun I belive.   Be sure to avoid making it easy to lock an opponent into an enevitble loss they can see coming 10 miles away.     

Be sure to give players ways to turn bad situations around

last thing you want is to create an enviornment where "griefer" plays are given the opportunity to scare new players away with crushing locks and low/no tension games
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Well, these aren't things-I-like, but they're points that might inform your design:

- Have a clear theme. What is your game about? Make sure that you have some room to design in that theme, and then stick to it.

- Have resource management, but not too much. I'd suggest something like Duelmasters, where there is no scarcity of resources, but correct use of them can mean the difference between victory and loss.

- People want to play their favourite cards. Commander's popularity stems from the ability to always play a cool big creature every game. Whatever is cool for people to do in your game, give them ways to do it.

- Make it multi-player friendly. Friends are a great way to keep people coming back.       

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

*Include wincons.
*Don't be afraid to include multiple colors, but don't go overboard with it. 2 or 3 colors is best for most things (though some decks prefer to only be one color). Each color has downsides, but more than three colors is generally going to run you down.
*Learn to separate good cards from bad. (To understand, reach isn't worth the -2/-2.) Also, learn to separate sideboard cards from maindeck cards. I've seen new players maindeck Deathmark. While Scars of Mirrodin was legal, most decks used a lot of artifact creatures, so Deathmark wasn't even guaranteed to hit all green/white creatures.
*Don't forget removal.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
*Include wincons.
*Don't be afraid to include multiple colors, but don't go overboard with it. 2 or 3 colors is best for most things (though some decks prefer to only be one color). Each color has downsides, but more than three colors is generally going to run you down.
*Learn to separate good cards from bad. (To understand, reach isn't worth the -2/-2.) Also, learn to separate sideboard cards from maindeck cards. I've seen new players maindeck Deathmark. While Scars of Mirrodin was legal, most decks used a lot of artifact creatures, so Deathmark wasn't even guaranteed to hit all green/white creatures.
*Don't forget removal.

Holy baws what an embarrassing failure of reading comprehension.

Are you the OP?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
*Include wincons.
*Don't forget removal.

bay_falconer
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Fail, shrimp. Again. Must you keep embarrassing yourself by demonstrating what is clearly an unconscious attraction to me?
139359831 wrote:
Work hard on the resource system. It's the defining factor for the costing of your cards. Understand what it lets you do and what it restricts you in. Magic, for example, relies on lands in most cases, which can carry a lot more complexity than most other games. Lands are permanents, and can be interacted with. Lands can carry inherent restrictions that punish you from playing multiple colors. And lastly, lands are a part of your deck, and can thus lead to manascrew or manaflood. Duel Masters, on the other hand, have a much more consistent mana system, but it's also simpler, for better or worse. The upcoming Solforge doesn't have any mana, but lets you cast two spells for free. This means that you lose out on Magic's easiest way of adjusting a card's power.

Play to the strength of your medium. Magic has a lot of limitations because it's a physical game. When you're having a digital game, the computer can track all sorts of things that would cause memory issues. Damage can now be permanent. You can also do things that would be a lot harder to replicate in a real game, like making identical copies of a card in play, or making opponents do actions in hidden zones, as the game can check if it's legal or not.

Might also be worth taking a look at how interaction in the game works. If you want your opponent to respond to everything as if it's the stack, or for each turn to only care about the current player. And try to make the rules simple. Magic's comprehensive rules really isn't something you want to end up with.

I probably didn't answer the question all that well.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Fail, shrimp. Again. Must you keep embarrassing yourself by demonstrating what is clearly an unconscious attraction to me?

why would that be embarrassing? i'm not going to conceal my love for you
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Oh, just read it. What Mown said. The resource system is your balance. And make sure not to let one card be the "this card wins the game" thing.

Also, avoid making cards too parasitic. You know what I mean. *cough*yugioh*cough*
139359831 wrote:

Yay, dso I see 2 trolls arguing with eachother.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

1:  playtest everything
2:  be wary of anything that's "free", no matter how insignificatly small it seems.
3:  be wary of any cards that become better the more you have of them.
4:  include reactive cards (cards that deal with other cards) at reasonable costs. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Everybody's been discussing the game, nobody's been discussing the pricing system. I think that's really the most important part when considering something like this, so here's my 2¢:
People do not like buying digital cards. There is a considerable number of people who feel that physical cards shouldn't cost more than a few dollars each, and that number only gets larger when you move to a medium where there aren't even any physical items for them to hold. This can be combined with 'People do not like paying a lot for an MMO with an uncertain future' since their money can spontaneously vanish if the devs go under.

You need to keep both of those in mind while building your game. The most important thing, I think, is to have a free to play system that actually allows people to play free. It doesn't matter if it would take 10 hours of constant play to unlock a single copy of the best card, as long as it's possible. Ideally players should be able to unlock at least one card an hour, even if it's sometimes junk. Players need to have a collection to be invested in the game, and since they don't want to buy into a game they aren't invested in, it's important to make sure the free players feel like they're getting somewhere.

Don't be too worried about the potential of players playing the game for free for an extensive period of time. People who play for a lot of time are invested players and they will help spread word of mouth for your game and that can be far more valuable to you than a few cheap purchases.

I suppose it's important to note that I've never done this sort of thing before. It's possible I'm way off base here, but I'm basically trying to convert my opinions as a consumer into what I would want to see in a game.

I recommend you go try Magic: the Gathering: Tactics if you want to see an example of everything you shouldn't do. Actually, I would recommend finding as many existing MMOTCGs as you can in order to figure out what is working and what isn't. Especially read the forums to see what complaints surface most often so you can get an idea of what irritates people the most.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
People do not like buying digital cards. There is a considerable number of people who feel that physical cards shouldn't cost more than a few dollars each, and that number only gets larger when you move to a medium where there aren't even any physical items for them to hold. This can be combined with 'People do not like paying a lot for an MMO with an uncertain future' since their money can spontaneously vanish if the devs go under.

You need to keep both of those in mind while building your game. The most important thing, I think, is to have a free to play system that actually allows people to play free. It doesn't matter if it would take 10 hours of constant play to unlock a single copy of the best card, as long as it's possible. Ideally players should be able to unlock at least one card an hour, even if it's sometimes junk. Players need to have a collection to be invested in the game, and since they don't want to buy into a game they aren't invested in, it's important to make sure the free players feel like they're getting somewhere.

Don't be too worried about the potential of players playing the game for free for an extensive period of time. People who play for a lot of time are invested players and they will help spread word of mouth for your game and that can be far more valuable to you than a few cheap purchases.

So much this ^^^

In fact, if you are doing anything at all with microtransactions, watch this video right now.  Do it.  Yes, not all of it applies directly to a TCG, but a lot of it does.

Actually, if you are doing any form of game design, just watch every video in that channel.  Again, not all of them really apply to TCG type games, but you will be thankful for watching them anyway.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Yay, dso I see 2 trolls arguing with eachother.

Actually, if you are doing any form of game design, just watch every video in that channel.  Again, not all of them really apply to TCG type games, but you will be thankful for watching them anyway.

Except Religion in Gaming part 2.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Except Religion in Gaming part 2.

Eh. The rest of it's good enough I'll give them a pass on one episode of... questionable quality.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)