Boosting NADs - Is it important?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
This may sound awkward, but I'd really like to know your opinion on the subject. Is boosting the NADs through feats really that important?
Of course, we're not assuming a defender here. Right now, I'm thinking of a bow Ranger (much like LDB's Shoot to Thrill). Are the improved defenses and superior fortitude really mandatory, optimization-wise?
Superior fortitude probably not, as a ranged character you should not be taking all that much damage, so why worry about some ongoing?

However, you may want to keep your mobility through superior will, and as a ranged character, you are more likely to be attacked vs NADs than vs AC anyway.

As you level, monsters will attack AC less, and F/R/W more.    
In general, it is a good idea not to have weaknesses. Shoot to Thrill wades into melee-range once things start ticking, because a large number of its bonuses are dependent on being the closest to the target.

Archer Rangers who avoid getting attacked altogether tend to be suboptimal, not just because they can't take advantage of Prime Shot/Called Shot, but because they encourage DMs to focus fire on those who can be attacked.

Encouraging strong tactical behavior is not a good idea. 

Encouraging strong tactical behavior in your DM is not a good idea. 

My addition bolded.

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Improved defenses and superior will are generally sufficient for most characters. Take superior will first because stun and daze really suck. I would hold off on improved defenses until paragon tier because you really want to get rogue MC and snap shot ASAP.
People are saying Superior Will not so much for the NAD boost, but for the extra effect.

Improved Defenses is recommended mainly because it's a math fix.
In 10 levels, monster attacks go up by +10.
In the same 10 levels, PC NADS naturally go up by:
+5 - half level
+2 - neck item enchantment
+1.5 - stat boosts

So two NADs go up by +8.5 and one by +7. Over 30 levels, the gap widens to where monsters are hitting you way more often than was intended by the game designers. Show this to your DM. Many DMs just give out ID for free because it's fixing a flaw in the game math that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Wow.. just because you wish, does not make it so.
Willpower attacks can include nasty effects like daze, stun, and domination.  Avoiding them is always good.

Reflex attacks are usually "just" damage, so they're a very low priority.

Fortitude attacks usually involve some damage and/or forced movement.

Of those three, Will is by far the most important to worry about for any role, to the point of Superior Will being a requirement for any character that can grab it, or dropping a 13 in Wisdom or Charisma to be able to get it by Epic.  In short, being hit by a Will attack can cost you precious actions.  Being hit by a Reflex attack will probably just be some damage, that's what surges/leaders are for, and being hit by a Fortitude attack might reposition you/do some damage. 

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I usually get improved defenses somewhere in early/mid paragon.

In heroic, there's lot's of other feats to take, and +1 isn't that much.
In paragon, there's usually a few choice feats that open, +2 is pretty good.
In epic, there's probably nothing that really compeats with +3.

Superior will was covered.
Superior fortitude isn't bad on a defenders, or those who can transfer conditions.
Superior reflex is good for those who want to nova.

Great/Lighting/Iron are only worth taking if you already have 2 superiors.  And then, still mabey not.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Depends on the class, build, group, DM, etc.

I played a hunter through paragon, I had all three superior defense feats by 12, and never looked back. But part of the reason for that was because I didn't have a whole lot else that was pressing. The other part was, for my method of gaining CA, I wanted Superior Reflexes for the Armor of Dark Deeds/Hidden Sniper Combo, picked Superior Will for its general function, and grabbed Superior Fortitude because I happened to qualify for it.

For an archer ranger, there are a lot of feats you'll want to squeeze in, which makes the choices harder. Nevertheless, in mid-to late heroic, I would take Suprior Will. After that, I don't even know if I would get around to Improved Defenses until 20/21, at which point +3 to two defenses becomes too good not to take.

Show
Feat progression I would use for Shoot to Thrill these days would be something like:

1. Expertise
2. Focus (retrain to Icy heart at 11)
4. MC Sentinel (retrain to MC Rogue at 6)
6. Treetop Sniper
8. Power swap Snap Shot
10. Superior Will
11. Lasting Frost
12. Called Shot
14. Prime Slayer
16. Improved Initiative (retrain to Superior Initiative at 21)
18. Slaying Action/Skill Power/Mark of Passage/whatever you need
20. Improved Defenses
21. Greatbow
22. Bow Mastery
24. etc...
Mengu, can you retrain Weapon focus for Icy heart even if Icy heart is paragon only?
Mengu, can you retrain Weapon focus for Icy heart even if Icy heart is paragon only?

Yes. No such thing as "paragon only feat". Icy Heart simply has a requirement of being 11th level. Once you are 11th level, you qualify. Read "Replacing a Feat" in retraining section of the RC.
It feels a bit weird. I mean, you may be 11th and meet the P.req but since you're replacing a feat you picked at level 2, at level 2 you don't meet the pre-reqs.
It feels a bit weird. I mean, you may be 11th and meet the P.req but since you're replacing a feat you picked at level 2, at level 2 you don't meet the pre-reqs.

It is no different than bumping one of your stats up to qualify for a feat, and retraining an old feat for a new one you now qualify for. It can be done. There is nothing preventing it. It is also not weird. You learned a better way to do, what you were doing before.
Point taken. Will do this, thank you. While we are at it, what do you think of a Mark of Shadow (dragonmark) ?

In my current campaign, we started in Faerun then went plane-jumping. Now in eberron, the DM allowed us to choose a dragonmark feat if we'd like, but only while we're in eberron (and that won't last long). We just went from 11 to 12, so we could use lvl 12 feat.

Do you think it's worth it?

Current build is:

1- proficiency (greatbow)
2- focus -> icy heart
4- expertise
6- sneak of shadows
8- treetop sniper
10- wintertouched
11- lasting frost

frost gbow +2; bracers of archery; gloves of ice; shadowdance armor +2; boots of elvenkind +2; sneak's cloak +2; elven chain shirt; casque of tactics; some frost arrows and shadowshaft arrows.

I know my boots and cloak stealth bonuses do not stack, but their dailies are useful to act as the party's scout/rogue.
While we are at it, what do you think of a Mark of Shadow (dragonmark) ?

You can probably answer that better than I can. How often are you hidden, how often do you miss with CA while you're hidden, how often do you actually care to remain hidden, and how often does your DM give you opportunities to use rituals? Doesn't seem worth it to me, but I don't know what your DM thows at you. Instead, you might consider Mark of Passage, if you have and use a lot of shifty powers, but if not, I'd say stay on course.
Let me ask a different, related question. Improved Defenses and Superior Will are now ubiquitious on every optimized build nowadays. But the marginal gain of spending one extra feat to get all 3 Superior Defense feats (ie retrain Improved Defenses to Superior Fort, then pick up Superior Reflexes) is +1 Fort, +1 Reflex, Resist vs Ongoing and CA on Turn 1. Is that not good enough to take?

Behaviorally, most charop builds would suggest no, but objectively, doesn't the net sum of these benefits make for a pretty strong marginal gain?
if you start at level 20, sure, but if you start at a lower level, there are many other interesting feats to take.
Most common stat distributions wouldn't allow you to pick up all three Superior Defenses before epic anyway. With that in mind it's not a great idea for most builds because then you have access to the Epic Defense feats if you want better defenses. For the few stat distributions that do encourage it, it's a reasonable use of a feat if there's an empty slot to fill.
There are so many feat starved builds, it's sometimes hard to get the two (Sup Will/Imp Def), let alone a third. I have a level 20 warlock|warlord, who does not yet have Improved Defenses, I just couldn't fit it in for all the other things I want to do.

When there is something you want, and something else has to give, it's almost always that defense feat, not because it isn't good, but because you want a little extra something else, somewhere else. At the cost of 1 feat, getting round 1 CA, some res all ongoing, and +1 to F/R, is really quite good. But there is only so much feat space for defensive feats, when you also want more damage, more control, more healing, more mobility, more whatever else your character is built to do.
Let me ask a different, related question. Improved Defenses and Superior Will are now ubiquitious on every optimized build nowadays. But the marginal gain of spending one extra feat to get all 3 Superior Defense feats (ie retrain Improved Defenses to Superior Fort, then pick up Superior Reflexes) is +1 Fort, +1 Reflex, Resist vs Ongoing and CA on Turn 1. Is that not good enough to take?

Behaviorally, most charop builds would suggest no, but objectively, doesn't the net sum of these benefits make for a pretty strong marginal gain?

Well, I don't think the bonus on Superior Fortitude is worth a feat, and feats are precious. For some AE builds (Wild/Storm Sorcs) Sup Will+Sup Ref is my personal preference, skipping Improved Def entirely. But it comes down to what other feats you need, stat qualifications, whether you'll benefit from mass CA, etc.
Admittedly, the marginal analysis does break down when your starting point is two Superior defense feats instead of Improved Defenses + Superior Will. I've frequently done what Alcestis did before - abandon a defense altogether and just take Superior Will and one other Superior Defense (usually Reflex - I put a huge premium on turn 1 output), and outcomes in practice have been fairly mixed. I've also been so feat strapped before to have taken only Improved Defenses thinking I didn't need Superior Will, and I've pretty much been made to regret it every time.
how much should one have in each NAD ? is there a formula?
Yes. What you want is give at level monsters less than 50% chance to hit.

They tend to hit with D20+level + 5 vs AC, and D20+level +3 vs NADs.

As a result you want your AC to be level + 5 + 11, and the rest to be level +3 + 11.
(11 out of 20 being 55%, giving monsters a 45% chance to hit).

Now this varies a bit, not only on personal preference of the player, but also on role. A defender for example, whose role will draw more attacks vs AC, and who wants to compensate for the -2 from a mark, will want to aim for level +18, whereas a ranged character that attempts to stay out of melee based on mobility, hiding, whatever, can probably get away with level +14 AC.

EDIT: as other posters have pointed out, reaching these benchmarks for all 4 defenses is unlikely. You would have to pour too many resources into your defenses, losing combat effectiveness. Since attacks vs Will tend to have more nasty side-effects, I would recommend for all characters to keep their AC and Will defense up, and try to keep either Fort or Ref reasonable.  
Keep in mind, it is not always possible to hit that benchmark. Sometimes you just end up with one weaker defense because it is simply too costly to bring that defense up. A Cleric is not likely to hit that benchmark on his Reflex, an Avenger is not going to hit it on Fortitude. Most characters should get close with AC and Will though.
having this considered, I believe I'll take superior Will on epic tier, since I'm not taking neither hide specialization (shadowdance armor) nor improved defenses.
Realistically, due to the way scaling works, you simply can't patch that one bad NAD. It is a common houserule, including in many developer games, to give Epic (F/R/W) for free to the lowest NAD and then ban taking the other feats. Other solutions I've seen involve averaging NADs to make them all the same, or bring the lowest NAD up to the average of the highest and lowest. Really it only becomes a problem if everyone in the party has the same weak NAD.

Exception: Str/Con or Int/Dex builds. They have two weak NADs with no real way to patch them. Wardens in particular suffer from this and it is part of what makes them really poor Epic defenders (at least ES and Storm Wardens). Cha/Wis builds aren't as bad because, as noted, Fort and Ref aren't that bad to have low, by comparison.
Except the only passable Cha/Wis build is Paladin, and they really hate having those two low.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
CHA/WIS Clerics are quite reasonable.
Clerics are one of, if not the, worst leader. And Wis/Con is far superior to Cha/Wis.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Except the only passable Cha/Wis build is Paladin, and they really hate having those two low.

Hybrids. But the point stands, since it is about NADs and not builds: if you are going to dual-stat into the same defense stat, the only strong option is Cha/Wis. All the others leave your Will low, with no way of patching it (and quite possibly proclude getting Superior Will till Epic, or at all).
I've got 3 Epic characters that could have all 3 Superiors, but I've only ever attempted it on the SM|Lock, and I quickly ditched that when I started delving into Fey Step shenanigans. On a Sorcerer, as was mentioned, Sup Reflex is amazingly useful, and if it weren't for having an Ioun Stone, I doubt I'd have Sup Will on it since Sorc Will can reach absurd levels without trying (Cha+Class+Race+Theme+Item+Cloak gets you 39 at level 22) and Maiden's Waking/Circlet of Arkhosia covers the rare hits.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
But the point stands, since it is about NADs and not builds: if you are going to dual-stat into the same defense stat, the only strong option is Cha/Wis. All the others leave your Will low, with no way of patching it (and quite possibly proclude getting Superior Will till Epic, or at all).

Maybe it's a bizarre exception, but I have a Str/Con Runepriest with which I was able to get Superior Will when I hit paragon. At level 12, he's sitting at AC 28, Fort 26, Refl 19, Will 27, seems like only one piss poor defense, not two. For builds with Con secondary, I feel it's not so important that you can't sacrifice a point or two to bump your wisdom or charisma a bit. I feel Str/Con builds have more incentive to put some resources into Will, than Wis/Cha builds have, for putting resources into the non-Will defenses. I do utterly dislike Dex/Int builds so I can't say anything good about those.
I don't even understand this. Str/Con has more incentive to put resources into will? No **** sherlock, Cha/Wis already has high Will... Though I'm really unsure how you managed 27 Will without some serious investment.
It's not that hard to get Superior Will at paragon in many builds.  A rather standard stat distribution is 16,14,14,13,10,8.  Even for a build that prefers other stats, it's not that hard to stick the 2nd 14 in Wis, take the free bump at paragon, and pick up the feat.  Your will defense will not be good, but should be 10 + 1/2 lvl + 2 + item at heroic (12 to ~19), jumping to 22 to 29 at paragon, and 31 to 38 at epic.  Without Epic Will, an item bonus outside of the normal neck slot, or a theme/feat/class/race bonus.  That's not good, but it's not terrible either, especially with the extra save opportunity against many of the worst effects.

I don't even understand this. Str/Con has more incentive to put resources into will? No **** sherlock, Cha/Wis already has high Will...

Sorry, I thought what I said was Str/Con build has MORE incentive to put resources into Will, than a Wis/Cha build has for putting resources into NON-Will defenses. I'm not even saying that's good or bad, it just is.

Though I'm really unsure how you managed 27 Will without some serious investment.

Superior Will is all I've got, oh and I happen to be Goliath. 10 base +6 level +2 stat +2 class +3 enhancement +3 Superior Will +1 Racial = 27. As I said, it might be an anomaly...
CHA/WIS Clerics are quite reasonable.

Clerics are one of, if not the, worst leader. And Wis/Con is far superior to Cha/Wis.

Wis/con is superior to wis/cha.  I think wis clerics should put a couple points into cha, but con is a lot more useful.  Even Dex and Int are often better choices than cha for a secondary stat for them.

And clerics are not the worst leader.  Sentinel is and its not even close.  And cleric usefullness also widely depends on level and build and they have around 15 different basic builds to compare at this point, not ocunting hybrids.  Mid paragon Oghma warpriests for instance can be very effective leaders for instance.
well, for that matter, my group has a Deva - Pacifist Miracle Worker Cleric (of Ilmater), and so far, he's able to heal us even more than we may need.

here it is:

Show

Boticário, level 11
Deva, Cleric, Miracle Worker
Cleric: Healer's Lore
Background: Birth - Blessed (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 22, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 15.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 17 Will: 28
HP: 76 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +14, Insight +16, Heal +16, Diplomacy +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +5, Bluff +10, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +6, History +7, Intimidate +10, Nature +11, Perception +11, Stealth +3, Streetwise +10, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Defensive Healing Word
Level 2: Last Legion Officer
Level 4: Healer's Implement
Level 6: Pacifist Healer
Level 8: Shielding Word
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Radiant Vessel

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric at-will 1: Astral Seal
Cleric encounter 1: Exacting Utterance
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric utility 2: Calculated Acumen
Cleric encounter 3: Hymn of Resurgence
Cleric daily 5: Iron to Glass
Cleric utility 6: Holy Lantern
Cleric encounter 7: Peacemaker's Light
Cleric daily 9: Dismissal
Cleric utility 10: Reverent Mettle

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Healer's Finemail +2, Belled Branch +3, Symbol of the Holy Nimbus +2, Fey-Blessed Circlet (heroic tier), Healer's Brooch +2

well, for that matter, my group has a Deva - Pacifist Miracle Worker Cleric (of Ilmater), and so far, he's able to heal us even more than we may need.

here it is:

Show

Boticário, level 11
Deva, Cleric, Miracle Worker
Cleric: Healer's Lore
Background: Birth - Blessed (+2 to Religion)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 22, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 15.

AC: 24 Fort: 19 Reflex: 17 Will: 28
HP: 76 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +14, Insight +16, Heal +16, Diplomacy +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +5, Bluff +10, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +6, History +7, Intimidate +10, Nature +11, Perception +11, Stealth +3, Streetwise +10, Thievery +3, Athletics +4

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Defensive Healing Word
Level 2: Last Legion Officer
Level 4: Healer's Implement
Level 6: Pacifist Healer
Level 8: Shielding Word
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Radiant Vessel

POWERS
Channel Divinity: Healer's Mercy
Channel Divinity: Divine Fortune
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric at-will 1: Astral Seal
Cleric encounter 1: Exacting Utterance
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope
Cleric utility 2: Calculated Acumen
Cleric encounter 3: Hymn of Resurgence
Cleric daily 5: Iron to Glass
Cleric utility 6: Holy Lantern
Cleric encounter 7: Peacemaker's Light
Cleric daily 9: Dismissal
Cleric utility 10: Reverent Mettle

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Healer's Finemail +2, Belled Branch +3, Symbol of the Holy Nimbus +2, Fey-Blessed Circlet (heroic tier), Healer's Brooch +2

Those defenses are really horrid...

An at-level monster hits his ref on a 3 and fort on a 5.

Guess that goes a long way to showing how weak some of the secondary defenses can be on a build that is Wis/Cha. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
At level monsters also have 60% chance to hit AC. I am guessing the DM for this group is very kind, or this healer tends to touch himself quite a bit.

Yuukale, you're not asking for build advice, which is why I guess Matyr did not forward any, but I have to ask, why did you post this here? As far as I am concerned, that is not a good build, but fixing it would involve a complete overhaul. 
At level monsters also have 60% chance to hit AC. I am guessing the DM for this group is very kind, or this healer tends to touch himself quite a bit.
Yuukale, you're not asking for build advice, which is why I guess Matyr did not forward any, but I have to ask, why did you post this here? As far as I am concerned, that is not a good build, but fixing it would involve a complete overhaul. 

Well, I really don't know much about clerics, but so far, our group has been able to beat hard encounters (2-3 levels above our own) with relative ease. I, therefore, though that this cleric would be a good example of a nice healing leader.

Currently the party consists of my archer, this cleric, a dragonborn hexblade playing fire and ice vulnerabilities, a non-optimized dwarf fighter and a non-op. eladrin wizard. Ofc, me and the hexblade are doing the heavy lifting, he and the dwarf will tank'n'flank the opponent while I pepper them down with cheese-covered arrows.

And since you think this cleric isn't good, guess I'll open up a thread asking for optimization tips and suggest them to his player. (Again, only me and the hexblade care to read (and know enough english) to read these forums.)
Sign In to post comments