DLCR: Volatile Rig

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other other RtR card to rate is...

Volatile Rig

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

I like this card.  Sure it's not great in certain decks.  Like do not draft this if you are a populate deck as this can destroy you.  If you are Izzet this is pretty good.  And even in Golgari.

Discuss! 
I love these in put them in almost every deck if I get it. It just causes so much confusion on the battlefield and my opponent never knows what the right course of action is. Usually you'll see them stop casting for 1-2 turns while they keep throwing guys in front of it hoping he dies. You get free damage in and are the first one to start casting again should it decide to WOG the board.

One thing really bugs me. I'm no judge so maybe this is as intended, but if he dies, the following happens in MTGO (beta):
1. Ability gets put on the stack
2. You flip a coin, if you lose the flip:
3. Everything gets 4 damage.

Now I personally feel like step 3 should be put on the stack, but it doesn't. First time I had this I found out the hard way as my 2 Trestle Trolls said goodbye before I could regenerate them. Similarly, this means you have to use stuff like Rootborn Defenses before you know if the damage will be applied, causing you to sometimes waste a card or all your mana for regeneration on it. I don't really want a rules discussion, I'm sure this is working as intended, but it's an annoying way to deal with a coinflip for me.

Probably the most underrated card in limited. Forces your opponent to play around it, it's on-curve with a relevant ability, and will at least get some damage through. Also pairs quite nicely with ethereal armor.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

I think a 3.5 fits it better, because this is something you can play in every deck (although it will be more helpful in some decks than others) As a 4/4 trampler for 4 in addition to a conditional board wipe this card has the potential to be quite strong, but works best in decks where you can utilize the 4 damage to both players.

As a bonus, the board wipe will generally occur during your turn, which means you get the first opportunity to play out additional creatures.
Everyone is always like OH NO THIS GUY WILL EXPLODE N KIL UR GUYS SO DONT USE HIM IF UR GUYS ARNT X/5s

Spoiler alert:  your opponent's guys probably aren't x/5s either, this is a double-edged sword.  On the other hand, the 4/4 trampler for 4 colorless is pretty single-edged. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
2.5, sure...
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
haha I think it's one of the more over-rated. 2.5 is about right.

I will say i've made ethereal armor decks around this guy that have been super fun.

Give it first strike to go along with the trample and it rarely gets dealt damage, you usually just win.
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
Everyone is always like OH NO THIS GUY WILL EXPLODE N KIL UR GUYS SO DONT USE HIM IF UR GUYS ARNT X/5s

Usually when I play this guy I want him to blow up.  I'm running about 50/50 with him on actually doing it, so yay for statistics I guess.  If nothing else he usually makes them not want to attack for the one turn he can block.

I'll say 3.  It's kind of tricky to figure out which decks he fits in though.
I love these in put them in almost every deck if I get it. It just causes so much confusion on the battlefield and my opponent never knows what the right course of action is. Usually you'll see them stop casting for 1-2 turns while they keep throwing guys in front of it hoping he dies. You get free damage in and are the first one to start casting again should it decide to WOG the board.

One thing really bugs me. I'm no judge so maybe this is as intended, but if he dies, the following happens in MTGO (beta):
1. Ability gets put on the stack
2. You flip a coin, if you lose the flip:
3. Everything gets 4 damage.

Now I personally feel like step 3 should be put on the stack, but it doesn't. First time I had this I found out the hard way as my 2 Trestle Trolls said goodbye before I could regenerate them. Similarly, this means you have to use stuff like Rootborn Defenses before you know if the damage will be applied, causing you to sometimes waste a card or all your mana for regeneration on it. I don't really want a rules discussion, I'm sure this is working as intended, but it's an annoying way to deal with a coinflip for me.

This is how he works in Paper. It's usually an advantage. I don't get the problem.

3.0, but only for being colorless.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Solid pick if only because no color makes he flexable
Surely it's not so much "your opponents must play around him", and a bit more "your opponents might be able to take advantage of him on your side". 4/4 trampler for 4 colorless is great, but once he's put down you might be wary of over-extending yourself, lest your opponent intentionally try to set him off to create a quasi-Supreme Verdict. A well-placed electrickery can theoretically wipe out your 4 drop and the rest of the field on both sides at your opponent's choice, even during the end of your turn (almost like an instant speed field wipe that works half the time and also does damage to players). On the back of this guy, you can get an edge over an opponent, but your opponent usually has options to cut your aggression short and bide time.

It's a double edged sword that your opponent has a tighter grip on than you do, considering you can't even choose not to attack with it. 

Even so, I give this a 2.5 - 3.0, and it truly shines in creature-light decks, or decks that aren't hampered too bad by losing creatures. Like the CommanderGreven said.... Izzet or Golgari, really.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
Another good exercise for card evaluation is to imagine playing a deck with 12 of that card, with the remainder of the deck filler level cards to round out your curve. It's not hard to imagine winning every match with a deck of Rigs.
Another good exercise for card evaluation is to imagine playing a deck with 12 of that card, with the remainder of the deck filler level cards to round out your curve. It's not hard to imagine winning every match with a deck of Rigs.

... What?

I can't see that deck having a win percentage of more than 30.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Perhaps I didn't explain it right. You get 12 of a single card (the card that's being evaluated) as many basic lands as you'd like and another 11 cards to make it a 23 spell, 17 land deck. You can have at most 1 copy of each other card, and...

Well the next restriction is certainly more difficult to quantify. None of the cards should be rare or mythic, and there should be a minimum of uncommons. I was originally going to say only cards that were 2.5 or worse on the rating scale. So in this example you could pick any color set you wanted to (because it's colorless) and then pick 11 cards along the lines of Drudge Beetle and Keening Apparition to round the deck out. I'm certain there is a deck with Rigs and filler that would be an extremely effective deck against the majority of draftable RtR decks.

If you wanted to normalize the results for different cards you could standardize which filler cards are picked for each color combination and casting cost. Artifacts should be given cards from 3.0 on the scale because artifacts leave you open to playing all colors, and thus your average card quality will be higher.
I understood just fine.

What I fail to see is how a deck with 12 Volatile Rigs would ever win more than 30% of its matches. It'd take early damage and then die to its own rigs exploding, almost assuredly.
I understood just fine.

What I fail to see is how a deck with 12 Volatile Rigs would ever win more than 30% of its matches. It'd take early damage and then die to its own rigs exploding, almost assuredly.

The other cards would be used to fill in the 1-3 portion of the curve, so it didn't lose to aggro. Once it hit 4 mana it could start playing out the Rigs. Perhaps you have a fundemental misunderstanding of the card, or an expectation you will consistantly get the wrong coinflips? 
I understood just fine.

The other cards would be used to fill in the 1-3 portion of the curve, so it didn't lose to aggro. Once it hit 4 mana it could start playing out the Rigs. Perhaps you have a fundemental misunderstanding of the card, or an expectation you will consistantly get the wrong coinflips? 

No, I can read the card. I just don't see what's so amazing about risking your entire board blowing up every turn (yet not being able to count on it). I imagine most of the decks I draft would do fine against a deck filled with rigs (heaven forbid they have an Armory Guard...).
Alright then, how about this more-well defined deck building criteria:

In addition to the 12 Rigs there can be 3 uncommons, 8 commons, 1 guildgate, and any number of basic lands, provided that each non-land/non-rig card is a 1-of. I predict I could come up with a deck in each of the five guilds using this criteria that could consistantly beat your average draft deck.
Regardless of the criteria, it's kind of a pointless exercise to imagine how well you can do with a deck that will never exist.
I understood just fine.

No, I can read the card. I just don't see what's so amazing about risking your entire board blowing up every turn (yet not being able to count on it). I imagine most of the decks I draft would do fine against a deck filled with rigs (heaven forbid they have an Armory Guard...).

I agree with Lobster. Not only does an electrickery become a potential field wipe for your opponent, or Trained Caracal for that matter, a deck consisting largely of Rigs would lose more often than not from the sheer fact that they act as double-edged swords usable to certain extents by both players, while your opponents creatures have likely been picked for being generally reliable and useful to them alone...

Also, even taking away everything else, and even if this 12 volatile rig deck actually worked well... I don't know how you'd end up with 12 rares in Limited, and its not fair to judge the effectiveness of a card based on what it does in bulk, any more than it is fair to judge Transguild Promenade from how it functions in a deck with 12 of it and 5 other basic land.
Came for the flavor, stayed for the game. (10/4/2013: Discovered that I suppose I most closely resemble a Vorthos player, right after my odd obsession with making hyper-budget but effective decks and right before being a Johnny)
In every game or match I've played this card, I've won. I can't say that about any other card in the set. I'm not saying it's that good, obvi. But other players generally don't know how to play against it. you generally can't say that about a card, ya know?

that being said, I've gotten one of these in my last four drafts, either in draft or in prize packs. Over it. 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Hate it.  I enjoy cards that do something, not might do something.  The lack of consistency means i'm passing this one to the left. (or right).       
Hate it.  I enjoy cards that do something, not might do something.  The lack of consistency means i'm passing this one to the left. (or right).       

There were some people who didn't like Capricious Efreet for this reason, but I still think that card was a bomb.