Detention sphere/Oblivion Ring with Auras

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have some situations I need to clarify.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SITUATION #1 - Detention Sphere/Oblivion Ring on opponent Rancor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use my Detention Sphere on opponent Rancor. So, I have 2 (or more) Rancor exiled by Detention Sphere.
Then, I use a Cyclonic Rift overloaded, leaving my opponent without any creatures and I still have an creature.

On his turn, opponent uses Naturalize, destroying my Detention Sphere, returning Rancor.

By the Comprehensive Rules,
"303.4f If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player’s control by any means other than by resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn’t specify the object or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura’s enchant ability and any other applicable effects.
303.4g If an Aura is entering the battlefield and there is no legal object or player for it to enchant, the Aura remains in its current zone, unless that zone is the stack. In that case, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard instead of entering the battlefield. "

Here is the question...

1.a - The opponent has the Rancor returning to game, he must choose my creature? Because my creature is the only legal target right?
1.b - The opponent can't choose enchant any creature?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SITUATION #2 - Almost the same
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use my Detention Sphere on opponent Rancor. So, I have 2 (or more) Rancor exiled by Detention Sphere.
Then, I use a Supreme Veridict, leaving me and my opponent without any creatures.

On his turn, opponent uses Naturalize, destroying my Detention Sphere, returning Rancor.

By the Comprehensive Rules,
"303.4g If an Aura is entering the battlefield and there is no legal object or player for it to enchant, the Aura remains in its current zone, unless that zone is the stack. In that case, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard instead of entering the battlefield. "

Here is the question...

2.a - The opponent has the Rancor returning to game, because has no legal targets, the rancor go to the graveyard because they came from stack and not from the battlefield, right?

SITUATION #3 - Returning Aura with Hexproof
When I use an Oblivion Ring (or Detention Sphere) on an Aura. When returning to battlefield, I can choose to put it in a creature with Hexproof?

Because...
111.1. A spell is a card on the stack. As the first step of being cast (see rule 601, "Casting Spells"), the card becomes a spell and is moved to the top of the stack from the zone it was in, which is usually its owner's hand. (See rule 405, "Stack.") A spell remains on the stack as a spell until it resolves (see rule 608, "Resolving Spells and Abilities"), is countered (see rule 701.5), or otherwise leaves the stack. For more information, see section 6, "Spells, Abilities, and Effects."

So the returning Aura isn't considered an Spell, because it's not being "casted" right now. Right?

Example:
- I used Pacifism in one creature.
- Use Oblivion ring on Pacifism.
- Oblivion ring is destroyed, then I should choose new targets from him.
- I can choose put Pacifism on Geist of Saint Traft, even with him having Hexproof.

Is that right?

Thank you all,
1.a - The opponent has the Rancor returning to game, he must choose my creature? Because my creature is the only legal target right?
1.b - The opponent can't choose enchant any creature?

True to both. If the Aura was something like Breath of Fury with "enchant creature you control", due to lack of legal object it could enchant, it would stay where it is (in the exile zone).
2.a - The opponent has the Rancor returning to game, because has no legal targets, the rancor go to the graveyard because they came from stack and not from the battlefield, right?

No, the Aura is trying to return from exile. Due to lack of legal objects it could enchant, it stays where it is.
"303.4g If an Aura is entering the battlefield and there is no legal object or player for it to enchant, the Aura remains in its current zone, unless that zone is the stack. In that case, the Aura is put into its owner’s graveyard instead of entering the battlefield. "

When I use an Oblivion Ring (or Detention Sphere) on an Aura. When returning to battlefield, I can choose to put it in a creature with Hexproof?

True.

Please use autocard:
[c]Forest[/c] = Forest
[c=Forest]land that produces green mana[/c] = land that produces green mana
1a. Rancor must be enchanted on a legal creature.  So, if the only creature on the battlefield is one of yours, your opponent is forced to put Rancor on that creature.

1b.  I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.  Rancor says "enchant creature," which means that any creature can be enchanted by it.  The only exceptions are creatures with protection from green or protection from Auras/Enchantments.  Shroud/Hexproof stops Rancor when it's being cast, but if Rancor is entering the battlefield without having been cast, it doesn't target, and can thus be enchanted onto creatures with shroud or hexproof.

Does that cover what you were asking?  If not, feel free to inquire further.

2a.  Rancor doesn't come from the stack, because it wasn't cast or moved there by anything.  It would be entering the battlefield from exile.  However, since there are no legal creatures for it to enchant, it stays in the exile zone, as per rule 303.4g.

Oh, and I'm sure you're already aware, but Detention Sphere doesn't have an overload cost. ;)

3.  As clarified above, an Aura that's entering the battlefield without being cast doesn't target (Auras only target when they're being cast), so you can put them on creatures with shroud/hexproof that way.

So, the scenario you provided is correct, except that of course Pacifism isn't targeting anything when it enters the battlefield from exile (if it were targeting, it couldn't be put on Geist of Saint Traft).