[GTC-ICD] Boros Elite

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boros Elite
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Battalion - Whenever ~ and at least two other creatures attack, ~ gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
"First, you must fight among the rank and file. It is there I will discern your skills as a leader."- Aurelia, to Gideon Jura
1/1

Boros Elite

From the main site.

Discuss.    

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Now I know what battalion keyword really means
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Hrm.  INteresting for a WW humans deck methinks.  Solid 1 drop that should be swinging for 3 every turn.
Why hello there Ardent Recruit, good to see you're no less janky in a civilized environment.

Somehow the Boros call this "Elite". Silly Boros. 

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Ehhh, not good enough to play over Champion of the Parish on turn 1. Hopefully the Hybrid 1 drop (if they're still doing that cycle) will be better.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
Not bad. should attack as a 3/3 most turns. But in constructed there are better one drops
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
With "Elite" it should be like a 2W, 2/2 with First strike or something. Seems more "Grunt"-ish.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Inb4 gideon is spoiled
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
This may be marginally Constructed playable I guess.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
When you make an ICD, please type out the card info as well as posting a picture, for those of us at computers that can't view images.

Can someone please type out this card?
Poor Gideon sucks at making friends.   
This is just silly. 
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Simple, yet useful. Pretty good.
solid one-drop.
Not really liking Boros so far.
If Antoine Ruel were walking the streets of Ravnica, this card would be much better.
Boring is boring. I don't think this card is good at all.

1/1 for 1. Ok cute you get your cmc's worth and added bonus of if 2 other creatures attack with it is becomes a 3/3... while attacking. Suppose it doubles as a chump blocker.
this is definitely THE underwhelming card of the ones spoiled so far.
To me if feels this shouldn't be uncomonn , but maybe it plays better then it looks
I play for fun
This card definitely isn't "elite".

I like the artwork, but it's nothing special. 
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I didn't bother reading through this thread, but I assume there were a bunch of people saying that it's good in limited, bad in constructed.

Here's the thing, it's not good in limited. It is actually pretty difficult to attack with three creatures in a game of limited. Often, that means that you are forced to attack with something that is going to either trade unfavorably, or get eaten. You need a lot of support to make three creatures that can easily attack on most boards.

And here's the second thing: If you are attacking easily with three creatures, you are probably already going to win. The ability really needs to be worth a card before you start convincing me to build a deck around it.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
90% chance this will find its way into my standard deck.  I really like it.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I didn't bother reading through this thread, but I assume there were a bunch of people saying that it's good in limited, bad in constructed.

Here's the thing, it's not good in limited. It is actually pretty difficult to attack with three creatures in a game of limited. Often, that means that you are forced to attack with something that is going to either trade unfavorably, or get eaten. You need a lot of support to make three creatures that can easily attack on most boards.

And here's the second thing: If you are attacking easily with three creatures, you are probably already going to win. The ability really needs to be worth a card before you start convincing me to build a deck around it.

No one said it would be good in limited. At most it'd be a chumper that might swing for 3 once in a while.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I think what is being neglected is that this card is competing with other humans as a 1-drop. Champion of the Parish. The only guaranteed 4-of. Doomed Traveler, Wingcrafter, Avacyn's Pilgrim. Only other decent options (though War Falcon is seeing play). This will be better in constructed than the alternatives. And it can attack T3 with Gather tokens, which can be very valuable.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
It's kind-of like having a 1/1 battle cry for 1.  Except only works optimally at 3 attackers.  On the flip side, doesn't have the downside that a 1/1 battle crier would (which is that it would be too easily blocked and killed because it's just a 1/1).

Well...Signal Pest was a constructed card.  And this attacks with equal or more power if you are attacking with...

1 creature (1/1 > 0/1)
2 creatures (1/1 = 0/1 +1/+0)
3 creatures (3/3 > 0/1 +2/+0)
4 creatures (3/3 =  0/1 +3/+0)

Yeah, you know what?  I think this might be better than Signal Pest in the abstract, because lol at attacking with 5+ creatures.  Granted, part of the reason Signal Pest was used was that it was an artifact....

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

It had a home in artfact decks that would've seen play regardless. Just like this card will see play in decks, too. It isn't a build around card, like Epic Experiment, but it's been heavily undervalued so far.
It's kind-of like having a 1/1 battle cry for 1.  Except only works optimally at 3 attackers.  On the flip side, doesn't have the downside that a 1/1 battle crier would (which is that it would be too easily blocked and killed because it's just a 1/1).

Well...Signal Pest was a constructed card.  And this attacks with equal or more power if you are attacking with...

1 creature (1/1 > 0/1)

Yeah, you know what?  I think this might be better than Signal Pest in the abstract, because lol at attacking with 5+ creatures.  Granted, part of the reason Signal Pest was used was that it was an artifact....

It also had evasion.
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow

1 creature (1/1 > 0/1)

It also had evasion.

It had 0 power, so the evasion was not really relevant in terms of punching damage through.  (It was relevant in terms of it not getting blocked and killed for free, but that's much less of an issue in the case of a 3/3).

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

But the evasion allowed it to attack more freely, and made for more difficult blocks for your opponent. I think that the evasion was the icing on the cake for Signal Pest; if it was a 1/1 for 1 w/ Battle Cry I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have seen play (I play Tempered Steel, and I'm sure I wouldn't play it without its evasion). I think Batle Cry and Battalion are pretty different; their similarities end at triggering/being more effective when multiple creatures attack.
This is uncommon because who wants to get attacked by three of these on turn three in limited.
Better than it looks, not as good as anybody playing WW wants it to be. Battalion procs will add up quickly and they can be disrupted. It creates a type of subgame and that's cool.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
I need a playset of these for my Quest for the Holy Relic/Solider Tribal deck.
My novel, Mektar, Clash of Ideals, is now available for purchase! Just click this text. I have +30 bragging rights according to HairlessThoctar. Just saying.
This is borderline playable in limited and definitely not constructed playable.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

I think you are looking at this all wrong. It isn't hard to swing with 3 creatures if your creatures all receive substantial buffs when attacking. You aren't necessarily always winning if you can swing with three creatures if your creatures don't have those substantial buffs when they aren't swinging. You are behind until you can amass an army (easy in limited, still pretty easy in constructed with Lingering Souls and all) then you recieve a substantial boost for your efforts.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I can see this as another enabler for a Champion of the Parish Burning-Tree Emissary Lightning Mauler godhand.  Swing for seven on turn two.  People always talk about batallion causing you to overextend.  This is not true.  It causes you to need to have three creatures on the battlefield, which if you aren't doing in an aggro deck you will get ran over/stabilized anyway.  Also, with tokens at two and haste at three, you can consistently hit batallion triggers on turn three each game and on rare occasions turn two.  Anyone know of any other godhands in standard that would get this trigger on turn two?
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. How to Create
Show
replace {} with [] {sblock} at the beginning and {/sblock} at the end.
I borrowed this from blood77. All credit goes to him. Great idea for a signature and I'm tired of people not autocarding decks. How to Auto Card
Show
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
Show
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck Auto Deck
Show
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4 Halimar Depths 4 Unstable Frontier 8 Island 4 Swamp Creatures 12 4 Hedron Crab 4 Nemesis of Reason 4 Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4 Spreading Seas 4 Suffer the Past 4 Mind Funeral 4 Archive Trap 4 Ponder 4 Into the Roil 4 Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Result
I really don't understand why this does not have first-strike. Warclamp Mastiff is completely terrible, stapling this battalion effect on it makes it somewhat playable and is very reasonable. (if there is a Gather the Townsfolk with haste at 2CMC, I rescind my comment)
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
There ia a haater gather the townsfolk at 2 cmc. Thatcer Revolt be the name.
There ia a haater gather the townsfolk at 2 cmc. Thatcer Revolt be the name.

Thatcher Revolt is 3 cmc.
This card was really underestimated. R/W Humans can't just have Champ as a 1-drop. This thing plays nice with T2 Lightning Mauler paired with T3 Frontline Medic swing for 8 power indestructible. Sure Champ does the same thing with potential to get bigger but you're not always going to draw T1 Champ. Also nice is T1 Champ, T2 two of these... with potentially T3 Mauler+Elite, swing for 16...
Reminds me of Ardent Recruit. Eager Cadet becomes undercosted Centaur Courser. Definitely good in limited.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Yeah, this is one of the cards that got me thinking...
I'm a casual player, so obviously I'm not talking about "constructed standard" or anything...
But still, it seems that making him work isn't quite optimal.
It's sort of a one-drop that you wouldn't want on turn 1, but is quite good at turns 3+, which is not all that bad!
-
I'm definitely looking forward to using this creature!