seems really strong
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
More pigs is never a bad thing.

It act's as a combat trick and a bomb. If Gruul is good I'd put this as a high pick in limited.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Bomb-tastic in limited.  It seems that Gruul will be huge in draft format.  If there are some decent cheap creatures in color (Which I assume there will be), gruul will be able to deal huge amounts of damage and early.

Edit:  Just realized this is common.  Good god, getting 3-4 of these would be huge.
Keyboard-Mash Swine I see.

Hagei-Fha Swine 

Look, I can name cards too! 

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

When you make an ICD, please type out the card info as well as posting a picture, for those of us at computers that can't view images.

Can someone please type out this card?
When you make an ICD, please type out the card info as well as posting a picture, for those of us at computers that can't view images.

Can someone please type out this card?

Big Pig
3RG
Creature - Boar
Gruul Bros Activate - 1RG, Discard Big Pig: Target attacking creature gets +5/+4 until end of turn.
5/4 
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

Limited bombness.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
/Can't wait to draft these.    
Limited bombness.

And at common to boot.  Like Golgari Long-Legs, only with a huge benefit.  The splashability of Daddy Longlegs is easily offset by the fact that this is a huge combat trick for relatively cheap.  

I imagine this will be first pickable.  Easily first pickable. 
You know, this mechanic seem really nice. Add a little recursion to get the creatures back and your in business. 
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Mmmmm. Pork!

The more Boars the better as far as I am concerned.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
+5/+4 for is just absurdly brilliant.

It's not a wolf, no, but this fits very nicely into a werewolf deck as pump - smack them with Immerworld or a cheap Trample for the win! 

DCI Judge Level 1

Not much discussion going on about this guy. He seems like he could actually be constructed playable. 5/4 for 5 isn't terrible. Lack of evasion hurts though.

+5/+4 for 3 is pretty good as well. Should allow you to protect key creatures, and adding an additional 5 damage out of nowhere is pretty swingy.

Setting yourself up to be 2 for 1 kind of sucks, but it may be worth it in certain decks.

I feel like this creature was initially envisioned with Trample, and then they decided to make Bloorush give Keywords as well, and it was removed because it would have probably been too good if they mirrored the Trample on the Bloodrush.

Thoughts?

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
The art reminds me of Princess Mononoke quite a lot.

If Gruul turns out to be a good limited archetype (it certainly seems that way now) this is easily 1st pick material.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
since your discarding a lot of your gruul creatures, do you think people will splash black for revival?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

since your discarding a lot of your gruul creatures, do you think people will splash black for revival?

We don't know what return from the graveyard spells will be in gatecrash. Who knows maybe they print a revive variant so you wouldn't even have to splash a color.
Don't be too smart to have fun
this at common o_o

i am excited about gruul all of a sudden! 
As a creature its kinda meh, but hot diggity that Bloodrush is damn good!
great card for limited.  and at common too, crazy for draft.
Not much discussion going on about this guy. He seems like he could actually be constructed playable. 5/4 for 5 isn't terrible. Lack of evasion hurts though.

Vanilla 5/4 for 5 is known to not be playable in constructed.  Actually, hell, four mana for a 5/5 is currently seeing absolutely no play in constructed.

If this sees constructed play, it'll be primarily for the pump effect.

That said....o_O wow, this is common?  Limited beware! 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

oh a 5/4... yawn. In limited I wonder how often it will get out into play? Or will people be using the combat tricks?
I'm surprised this is a common.  I would've expected uncommon.

Vanilla 5/4 for 5 is known to not be playable in constructed.  Actually, hell, four mana for a 5/5 is currently seeing absolutely no play in constructed.

Deadbridge Goliath isn't seeing absolutely no play. It doesn't see a LOT of play, but it still does see play. Mostly for its interaction with Lotleth Troll and Scavenge.

Admittedly a vanilla 5/4 for 5 is a little behind the curve for what we are used to, but it still isn't horrendous for the price.

I could see people playing it just for the pump effect. Now combat tricks usually aren't the best in constructed, but this is one hell of a combat trick, and functions as at least a semi-decent beater when you need it to.

It certainly isn't going to be tearing up the format or anything, but I could see this being played here or there. Likely only as a 1 or 2 of.
oh a 5/4... yawn. In limited I wonder how often it will get out into play? Or will people be using the combat tricks?

I'd imagine it will be used as a game ending trick mostly, but a 5/4 for 5 is good in limited too.    
I guess Gruul is all about one thing

I mean, the idea behind the card design is that these have super-haste, so they can attack even earlier on the curve than they would otherwise. If you have a lot of Bloodrush guys, then your opponents will have a hard time blocking. But if I have out a 1/4, and you attack with a 2/2, and you use this, then I've essentially just traded a 1/4 for 3 mana and a creature out of your hand. And all you have on the board is now a 2/2.

Honestly, I think people are going to overvalue these cards much too much.

Also, as soon as you aren't attacking, he's just a Golgari Long Legs. Nice first pick :P 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Who's 1st picking this?  It's not Stab Wound good.   
Who's 1st picking this?  It's not Stab Wound good.   

Several people said they would first pick this earlier in the thread. I was pointing out how absurd that is.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
this is essentially titanic growth plus 1/2. compare the cost difference between titanic growth and giant growth. that one mana difference gives you an extra +1/+1, where with this pig one extra mana gives you +1/+0

im probably thinking about this too much...

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
yes but this is a titanic growth that can also be a creature, and that flexibility makes it cost slightly more.

Deadbridge Goliath isn't seeing absolutely no play. It doesn't see a LOT of play, but it still does see play. Mostly for its interaction with Lotleth Troll and Scavenge.

Admittedly a vanilla 5/4 for 5 is a little behind the curve for what we are used to, but it still isn't horrendous for the price.

I could see people playing it just for the pump effect. Now combat tricks usually aren't the best in constructed, but this is one hell of a combat trick, and functions as at least a semi-decent beater when you need it to.

It certainly isn't going to be tearing up the format or anything, but I could see this being played here or there. Likely only as a 1 or 2 of.

What's amazing about that is, Goliath is strictly better than Juzam Djinn. Look at where power creep's gotten us.

But hey, +5/+4 for so little is good in token decks.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Vanilla 5/4 for 5 is known to not be playable in constructed.

Not at all.

"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
I'd first pick this as it can act as a big beater, it can swing for +5 points unblocked,and if your opponent blocks with something you can either trade 2 to remove a massive threat or 1 for 1 (maybe 2 for 1). If decent red removal is at common I'd be even more likely to pick Big Pig up first.
MTG Card

What's amazing about that is, Goliath is strictly better than Juzam Djinn. Look at where power creep's gotten us.

But hey, +5/+4 for so little is good in token decks.

It is not strictly better, one is black and one is green. Both require 2 in their color. They fit in different decks.
MTG Card

this is essentially titanic growth plus 1/2. compare the cost difference between titanic growth and giant growth. that one mana difference gives you an extra +1/+1, where with this pig one extra mana gives you +1/+0

im probably thinking about this too much...

yes, but then you're dropping two cards out of hand... If your opponent drops a kill spell, then it's even worse! a three-for-one! And if you have three lands, a creature, and two pump spells in your opening hand, that just means they nearly eradicated your entire opening play, leaving you fuming on top decks, that might just be another pump spell, or a land! That's a terrible idea.

But... I WOULD like to play one or two in a Wild Beastmaster deck. Not sure if I'd run it instead of Wolfir Silverheart. or thragtusk though.

It's a little frightening how good bloodrush is with Domri Rade's +1 ability.

Not at all.

Wolly Thoctar does not cost 5 mana (hence why I said "Vanilla 5/4 for 5")

Yes, reducing the cost by 2 can frequently makes something constructed playable.  Like...what's the first common creature in RTR alphabetically?  Armory Guard?  Yeah, if that cost 2 less mana dropping the cost to , it'd probably get played in constructed.  It'd be like one of those 2/2 Knights that's really hard to kill because it has a bunch of extra abilities.  Except instead of extra abilities it has +3 toughness.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Not at all.

Yes, reducing the cost by 2 can frequently makes something constructed playable.  Like...what's the first common creature in RTR alphabetically?  Armory Guard?  Yeah, if that cost 2 less mana dropping the cost to , it'd probably get played in constructed.  It'd be like one of those 2/2 Knights that's really hard to kill because it has a bunch of extra abilities.  Except instead of extra abilities it has +3 toughness.

5/4 vanilla for 5 still isn't THAT bad though, its certainly no Leatherback Baloth in terms of efficiency, but it is still at least decent.

I am not saying that this card is going to shake the format or anything, but it could certainly see play as a 1 or 2 of in certain decks. Being a Lava Axe for 3 when you need it, and a semi-decent creature when you need it could go a long way.

Like I said, I doubt it will ever see serious play, but as a 1 or 2 of in certain decks, it seems viable, if for nothing other than mise purposes.
This seems extremely powerful in limited. A big pump spell is awesome when you're off to an aggressive start and another big guy is what you want when things go late. Both versions would be decent picks by themselves, getting your choice is bonkers. If this isn't first-pick quality it will only be because agressive rg doesn't work in this limited format.
It's a trade, you either have a good pump or a good creature. It would cost and be 4/3 though

Not at all.

Perhaps I got caught up in the "vanilla 5/4" bit, but the mana cost is pointless really. This isn't a vanilla 5/4 for 5: it's a +5/+4 pump that in desparate times you drop down as a body. Yes, not really good for constructed play that doesn't attempt to find ways to win superfast, in which case the Bloodrush trampler will probably be better (which will likely be a smaller pump).
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sign In to post comments