[GTC-ICD] Burning-Tree Emissary

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
Burning-Tree Emissary ()()
Creature - Human Shaman (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, add to your mana pool.
Those who regard the Gruul as savage simpletons underestimate the subtle power of their shamans.
2/2

Burning-Tree Emissary

From the main site.

Discuss.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
This one looks good!
Basically a free bear on turn 2!

Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Damn the system and its hypocrites! You quit your quest and venture into the slums of the Gruul Clans!
Take THE QUEST FOR RAVNICA today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

The best part is you can chain multiples together.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Hmm, free spells are always a cause for potential concern Wizards, especially when you put in Jund colors that already make great use of free card advantage...(in Modern).
Hmm, free spells are always a cause for potential concern Wizards, especially when you put in Jund colors that already make great use of free card advantage...(in Modern).

The thing is that it does not give card advantage. It gives on-board presence, but I doubt it'll be played in Jund in modern.
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

Yay for free bears. Lovely art, too.

No way this can make Jund players swap out Goyf and Bob, but it's still a good card for Standard, and definitely limited.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
I like how they used the burning-tree group for this. Well played, WotC.
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
Someone, somewhere will chain 3 of these on turn 2 at the prerelease, prompting quite the table-flip.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Free bear is free. I can dig this.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
It's like Wild Cantor and Manamorphose had a child. XD

This is certainly Constructed playable.  

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Someone, somewhere will chain 3 of these on turn 2 at the prerelease, prompting quite the table-flip.

Considering it's sealed assuming one in every pack and a 2 land starting hand: it can be possibly 6 turn 2 when on the play and with a one drop available when going on the draw. It can be much, much more annoying in draft where you can get passed up to 24 of them (assuming 8 man pod, 3 in every pack, no one else takes any).
MTG Card

When you make an ICD, please type out the card info as well as posting a picture, for those of us at computers that can't view images.

Can someone please type out this card?

Considering it's sealed assuming one in every pack and a 2 land starting hand: it can be possibly 6 turn 2 when on the play and with a one drop available when going on the draw. It can be much, much more annoying in draft where you can get passed up to 24 of them (assuming 8 man pod, 3 in every pack, no one else takes any).

Considering how strong Gruul is looking, I highly doubt something like this will get passed.  It's an efficient 2 drop that can lead to stringing a ton of creatures out, or later on.  If you can get 3-4 in a deck, you could probably get two of em out on turn two.
When you make an ICD, please type out the card info as well as posting a picture, for those of us at computers that can't view images.

Burning-Tree Emissary ()()
{Look at me just strolling along out in public with mah gruul cosplay gear on, gonna go stand in the manga section of Barnes and Noble and read through entire volumes} 
Creature - Human Shaman {U}
When Burning-Tree Shaman enters the battlefield, add to your mana pool (Get it?).
Those who regard the Gruul as savage simpletons underestimate the subtle power of their shamans. And have never been primal bellowed in the face for 12 before.
2/2 
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.

Yeah I'm doing it now. Apologies for the delay, I decided to update the ICD Index first.

GW

Haha, that would be amazing.

"AAAAH FREE BEAR!"   -the phrase that woke my gf up and made her roll over and give me a "Wtf?!" look when i yelled it as i read this card for the 1st time (at 1 in the morning haha).  
Neat, mana fixing is fun. 
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Huh, I just realized: This card is an uncommon, suggesting that we're not continuing the 1 mana hybrid uncommon creature cycle (Slitherhead, Dryad Militant, etc.). 
Going outside the block, I see sick combos consisting of this and Infernal Plunge, which yields . Think of the spells you can cast with that kind of mana on turn 2. And for more fun, add mana dorks. In fact, with a mana dork, this, and Plunge, you can cast Thragtusk or Thundermaw Hellkite turn 2 in standard.

Going outside the block, I see sick combos consisting of this and Infernal Plunge, which yields . Think of the spells you can cast with that kind of mana on turn 2. And for more fun, add mana dorks.

Thragtusk turn 2! WoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoopWoop
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
I think this might have constructed playability. Depends on what othe tempo plays we can get on curve. 
I like free stuff.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Going outside the block, I see sick combos consisting of this and Infernal Plunge, which yields . Think of the spells you can cast with that kind of mana on turn 2. And for more fun, add mana dorks. In fact, with a mana dork, this, and Plunge, you can cast Thragtusk or Thundermaw Hellkite turn 2 in standard.

I was hoping for some more rituals in standard. Not sure if this gets there for me, but cool combo nontheless.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
It's not free. It costs you a card. And it's mana is free if you have something to do with it. 
It gets better in Modern. Cast Seething Song with the three red mana and you get 6 to 7 mana total. With Manamorphose, you get free cantrip in addition to all that. An early Worldfire is just another Seething Song away. There's also Bloodbraid Elf and Violent Outburst to provide some cascading goodness.

It gets better in Modern. Cast Seething Song with the three red mana and you get 6 to 7 mana total. With Manamorphose, you get free cantrip in addition to all that. An early Worldfire is not far away at that point. There's also Bloodbraid Elf and Violent Outburst to provide some cascading goodness.

Manamorphose is great because it is a literally free spell. I mean, this could have some kind of place in storm decks that need to increase storm count but they don't really need the body and it's not doing anything else really. 

I see it's constructed viability in aggro decks in which you can play 2 two drops for the turn or this plus removal. Currently there are a lot of creatures with two power that cost 1 so it does battle for viability. 

In fact, with just a mana dork and plunge, you can cast those cards turn 2 as well!
Huh, I just realized: This card is an uncommon, suggesting that we're not continuing the 1 mana hybrid uncommon creature cycle (Slitherhead, Dryad Militant, etc.). 

Maybe it's a 2 mana hybrid cycle in GTC?

GW

Makes sense, giving each color 4 1-drops seems a little unnecessary.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Best artwork...

Ever.

Really, really, and I say really too little, really nice design!

DCI Judge Level 1

I think it is pretty cool that it gives you :R::G: but is a hybrid card, so it can help you fix.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."

Makes sense, giving each color 4 1-drops seems a little unnecessary.

True, but for limited purposes, Gatecrash is drafted without RtR right?  I'd think they might want to have some hybrid 1 drops.  Maybe we'll get some vanilla hybird 1-drops?  Useful in limited, but not so much outside of that.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.

I see it's constructed viability in aggro decks in which you can play 2 two drops for the turn or this plus removal. Currently there are a lot of creatures with two power that cost 1 so it does battle for viability. 

It does seem nice.  Consider dropping Rakdos Cackler turn 1, followed by the emissary turn 2 followed by a Lightning Mauler.  Swing for 6 turn two, and it's very unlikely if you went on the play that they'll have anything out by then.  Follow the next turn with hopefully a similar play, and you have gold.  God forbid if you get multiples in your opening hand and a lightning mauler. 

I'm thinking this has a very, very strong place in my red deck where I run low land counts (I've pushed it down to 18 right now, and it runs pretty well).  Maindeckable there, as it allow huge boosts.  And in that case, I may have to replace my Reckless Waifs as I would most certain chain this into multiple creatures in one go.  Sad day.  Very said day. 

interesting card, might be good-ish?
interesting card, might be good-ish?

Actually, I think it's better than good.  There's gotta be something that can be done with the EtB effect that chains into ludicrous speed. 
Naya Battalion spam?

I wish it was rare and had flash
It looks really good. I like how it's a barbaric looking shaman head high walking down the street with shadowy figures all around. Plus hybrid cards always look better.
Don't be too smart to have fun
It looks really good. I like how it's a barbaric looking shaman head hi
Don't be too smart to have fun

And then they'll play a batallion guy.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
Hey guys, remember Frogmite?  Remember how 2/2s for 0 mana that you can start dropping on turn 2 are actually really, really, really, really, really good?  Well they're back!

Also: Restoration Angel needed another target with ETB effects. 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Sign In to post comments