[GTC-ICD] Deathpact Angel

110 posts / 0 new
Last post

Deathpact Angel
3WBB
Mythic
Creature - Angel

Flying
When Deathpact Angel dies, put a 1/1 white and black Cleric creature token onto battlefield. It has "3WBB, tap, sacrifice this creature: Return a card named Deathpact Angel from your graveyard to the battlefield"
5/5 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
That's pretty cool. Good design. What's the source?

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

It's an official spoiler from Daily Magic website in one of the articles.
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
Great art wasted on a terrible card.

If the token couldn't be pinged to death or if it had haste or a lower mana cost, it might have been passable...but this is just plain bad.

I wish this had just been an Angel of Despair reprint. 
Repeatable creature, I can understand mythic for limited I guess. Doesn't seem that great otherwise.

If the token couldn't be pinged to death or if it had haste or a lower mana cost, it might have been passable...but this is just plain bad.

Having to use 2 removal on a 5/5 with evasion seems legit. And it can come back more than Thraggy if they can't keep it down. And it works with populate.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

The recusion ability probably isn't gonna mean a lot, practically speaking. Which is a pity.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Too bad the token couldn't be {T} Sac - Cast a card named ~ from your graveyard. This way it could use extort at least.

Still love the art.

(*Psst* Some people actually enjoy using items in Smash Bros).

Personally I think I prefer Sengir Nosferatu, but it's still nice to see this ability get some more love. 
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
I'm in love with that art D:

Edit: Ah, it was done by Jaosn Chan. He does outstanding work on angels.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
Art is wonderful. Love the idea behind the mechanic.

Its in the colors of Unburial Rites, and has potential to wring out tons of value there. Angel of Serenity is still probably better at that though.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
This one is bad. It's outclassed by Twilight Shepherd.

Even Deathless Angel is a better choice.

This Angel would have been decent if it made each opponent sac a permanent when she dies.
In limited this seems really funny, but yeah just too much work for constucted. 
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Thinking this card is underrated so far. Let's look at the numbers: 5/5 Flyer for 6. Nothing special, but pretty good. Now the good part: It forces your opponent to 2-for-1 over the span of one or two turns, you otherwise they get 1-for-0'd as you bring it back the following turn.  But this doesn't mean you need to mainphase activate the token; you can just sit and bluff/hold counterspells then activate it whenever the time is right. If your opponent is playing Sphinx's Revelation, this card isn't as good because the 2-for-1 and power will no longer be as relevant. Otherwise, it is a very solid card. Decks with a lot of discard/permission will like this as a finisher, perhaps Esper or Grixis splashing :W: for this and revelation.

Kinda sucks that the token needs to overcome summoning sickness before it can activate. Also dies to Rest in Peace somewhat. But overall this is not a "terrible" card.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
This, Unburial Rites, with some self-mill.

Cast this. If your opponent kills it, you get a Token.

Unburial Rites this.

You now have a Token that if unanswered can potentially come back the following turn (if you have milled another one of these guys into the yard). As well as another Angel, which if your opponent kills becomes another token.

Repeat and derp along all day.

Nowhere near as good as Angel of Serenity lock, but its sort of cute I guess.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
With the amount of mana investment this card asks for, you could have Extort the life from the opponent.
Not that bad, actually; I'm not on board with the whinging about it's "terribad" qualities. I admit my first thought comparison to this was Sengir Nosferatu, but there are some substantive differences, especially given how one doesn't really LOSE this angle when the token is lost. If you do, you can recur the Angel, and get the token again, eventually. Sure, it "dies" to exile. Sure, the whole thing "dies to removal," but that isn't -- nor ever was -- a valid argument, anyways, merely a very flawed argument.

Unlike Sengir Nosferatu, after a sweeper, you get a creature. It's a small one, to be sure, but there's many more things that make tokens more useful in the current environment than you can shake a stick at. Moreover, this can happen constantly, whereas persist/undying creatures only come back ONCE. There is a new range of flexibility in this card that one cannot say otherwise for the rest, especially in the fact that it permits a recursive ability that must be 2:1'd, and you STILL have the ability to recur the creature in one fashion (the token)  or another (Reanimate effects).
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
I like the mechanic. Though I have to agree with those that said it's not good enough for constructed, it's too much work and too much risk for a recurring 5/5.

What I like is this card in limited, 5/5 flying for 6 is already super good and the recursion is awesome. I can already see people who open this getting a bunch of populate cards in their 3rd RTR pack, that would be awesome.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
seems like it'd be horribly clunky to play with, but it's still a bomb in limited so w/e.
Oooh! Yes, Populate this, rofl - I can see this working very nicely.

Along with the mono white Extort defender, we're hopefully going to see some unsual cross-guild decks appearing.

DCI Judge Level 1

Anybody got a link to a bigger picture for it? or.... Wallpaper? @_@
Eh.
Boys and their "art"
Tap?  The token has to tap? >_<

Yeah, that kills what would otherwise be a card with some constructed potential. 

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Boys and their "art"

hihi :3

but really though, that art is majestic. really. The vibe I usually get from W/B angels are "badass" and "conflicted". this one's just like a typical White Angel, despite it's dual B in its mana cost.
Eh.
I dont really know what to think of this card. The ability is interesting but i dont know how useful it will be, though it combos nicely with Populate.

Nice art though.
very good in limited bad in constructed
Honestly, this just seems very inelegant.

Isn't MaRo always harping on Elegance when talking about design?

What happened here then?

Doesn't really work all that well with Populate actually. If you have multiple of these tokens, you still need multiples of the actual card in the grave to make use of it.
the pheonix's are better IMO...even rise from the grave

maybe you can't return the phoenix's to the battlefield but at least they're reliable (unless they get exiled from the graveyard)

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
The ability is nice, imo. The problem to me is that even if you read the ability as 'deathpact angel is indestructible', it still has 'attacks or blocks syndrome', which is tough to overcome in a 5 power 6cc creature.
Love the flavor and the artwork.  Also should be really good in limited.  Constructed not so much.
I just know that, in the two boxes I buy and the prerelease and release tournaments I play, I will fail to open this creature's token.  I'll probably get two of this creature, but no token.
I admit my first thought comparison to this was Sengir Nosferatu, but there are some substantive differences, especially given how one doesn't really LOSE this angle when the token is lost.

Sounds about right.
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
Not that bad, actually; I'm not on board with the whinging about it's "terribad" qualities. I admit my first thought comparison to this was Sengir Nosferatu, but there are some substantive differences, especially given how one doesn't really LOSE this angle when the token is lost. If you do, you can recur the Angel, and get the token again, eventually. Sure, it "dies" to exile. Sure, the whole thing "dies to removal," but that isn't -- nor ever was -- a valid argument, anyways, merely a very flawed argument.

That is an acute observation.

A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
Art looks pretty anime. Where's the Orzhov look of impending doom?
She should have at least one more keyword ability like Lifelink or Trample.
She should have at least one more keyword ability like Lifelink or Trample.

this ^ do you know how many other angels there are that are mono white, cost the same, and are way better? a lot

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
Great.

A 6 manacost 5/5 vanilla flying creature that dies to removal AND doesn't win you the game, but that can be revived for it's manacost.

Seriously??
SERIOUSLY??

The other guilds are likely to have WON by turn 6 even in limited.

In constructed, tokens got Murder Investigation.

"Hardcasted creatures" camp got this.
This is utterly useless, even as a willing sacrifice in a sacrifice engine.
For it's "revive" cost, you could have dodged the bullet twice with Sengir Nosferatu.

Besides, there's bette stuff to waste 6 mana on.
It should plain and simply have been castable from the effing grave.
Which it would have had been if it was 3WWB instead of 2WBB.
Is the mana cost supposed to invert the Powerpuff Girls?

The one thing I hate about this card (besides my loathing of ccd casting costs) is that it might it might make the most complicated token ever. A moose that makes a squirrel that lets you bring back the moose. Nice concept, but still...
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Not bomb for sure, but when you get that part of a game where it's a stamina/endurance competition this is a nice topdeck. Problem is that outside that scenario does nothing more and forces tap out.
Sign In to post comments