4th Ed.Character Creation Help Needed

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone! I am COMPLETELY new to this style of Role-Playing gaming and new to DnD. I played my very fist game with a computer random character. I am still very lost but was told to just focus on my character build first and then learn from there. I would like to make a character very similar to a Jean Grey (Phoenix). Yes, I want a character that can move things and enemies around with the mind and a bit of mind control as well. What advice do you suggest in my venture to create my character? Like I said, I am brand new to the game. I just started today and played my first game today.

Thank you,
Barby

*Barby *

Player's Handbook 3 has the Psion class, which does pretty much all of that. Its powers focus heavily on sliding enemies and and giving them penalties to their attacks and defenses. (There's even a Firestarter Paragon Path, if I recall right, if you want to get in on the burny action.)

I'd suggest going with a Human Psion, since the extra at-will and feat will help you with the versatility. Choose either Telekinesis or Telepathy for your Discipline Focus feature, depending on what you want to specialize in. Note that you can still use telekinetic powers and psychic powers regardless of build.

If you want to keep your options open, make your intelligence 18 (16 + racial bonus) and make both Wisdom and Charisma 14 or so, while putting some spare points in Constitution for the sake of not dying.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
Player's Handbook 3 has the Psion class, which does pretty much all of that. Its powers focus heavily on sliding enemies and and giving them penalties to their attacks and defenses. (There's even a Firestarter Paragon Path, if I recall right, if you want to get in on the burny action.)

I'd suggest going with a Human Psion, since the extra at-will and feat will help you with the versatility. Choose either Telekinesis or Telepathy for your Discipline Focus feature, depending on what you want to specialize in. Note that you can still use telekinetic powers and psychic powers regardless of build.

If you want to keep your options open, make your intelligence 18 (16 + racial bonus) and make both Wisdom and Charisma 14 or so, while putting some spare points in Constitution for the sake of not dying.

- I'm more or less leaning towards telekinesis with a little bit of telepathy.
- Is a Human Psion better than a Deva or any other race?
- What powers and specials do you recommend?

Again, my focus is to get the character build as close to a Jean Grey (Phoenix) character as much as possible.

Thanks!

*Barby *

- I'm more or less leaning towards telekinesis with a little bit of telepathy.
- Is a Human Psion better than a Deva or any other race?
- What powers and specials do you recommend?

Again, my focus is to get the character build as close to a Jean Grey (Phoenix) character as much as possible.

It's not necessarily 'better'... The extra at-will and feat gives human a wider range of abilities, while a race like the Deva will have fewer options, but better ability scores. (And in the case of the Deva, a good racial encounter power.) So it's a matter of preference.

As for powers, Mind Thrust is a good first level at-will, since it does good damage, reduces the target's defenses and can be used as a ranged basic. Dishearten is also good for the attack penalty. For force powers, I like Dimensional Scramble because it can break grabs and reposition enemies for flanking. It's also an at-will area burst, though so is Dishearten.

I don't know what you mean by "specials"... If you're talking about backgrounds and themes, you'll have to ask someone else. I rarely use them.

In terms of feats, Unarmored Agility is a great level 1 choice, since the Psion is tied with the Wizard for squishiest class. Using a staff also opens up other useful defensive options, such as Hafted Defense. I believe there's also a paragon Psion feat that lets you use ranged powers in melee with a staff without drawing OAs. And if you're worried about your Jean carrying a staff, you could ask your DM about reflavoring it. I've got an invoker in my group who technically carries a staff, but it doesn't exist as far as fluff is concerned.

As for specifics, like exact ability scores or such... Well, I'm not going to stat up the character for you. I'm just offering ideas and guidance.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
- Awesome! This is EXACTLY the type of information I am looking for. I don't really have money to just be throwing around to buy the book. I need to focus down the the essentials of what it is I am trying to build. Getting ideas of what is best to use narrows my online searching. As far as stat build up, I wanted to know what stats are crucial for a Jean Grey type character. I'm really appreciating all this help. Thank you!

*Barby *

- Awesome! This is EXACTLY the type of information I am looking for. I don't really have money to just be throwing around to buy the book. I need to focus down the the essentials of what it is I am trying to build. Getting ideas of what is best to use narrows my online searching. As far as stat build up, I wanted to know what stats are crucial for a Jean Grey type character. I'm really appreciating all this help. Thank you!

As I've said before: Intelligence is the primary stat. Wisdom is for telekinetic powers and Charisma is for psychic powers, generally. So if you get 18 INT and an even split between WIS and CHA, you'll be golden. The entire Psion is essentially Jean Grey, since just about every power you take could conceivably fit her. (Except the summoning powers, unless she's had some power creep when I wasn't looking.)

Maybe you should ask your friends if they have the book? If you've got a decently sized group with at least some players that have been playing 4e for a while, at least one of them should have it.

As I've said before: Intelligence is the primary stat. Wisdom is for telekinetic powers and Charisma is for psychic powers, generally. So if you get 18 INT and an even split between WIS and CHA, you'll be golden. The entire Psion is essentially Jean Grey, since just about every power you take could conceivably fit her. (Except the summoning powers, unless she's had some power creep when I wasn't looking.)

Maybe you should ask your friends if they have the book? If you've got a decently sized group with at least some players that have been playing 4e for a while, at least one of them should have it.

Great! The group is made up of 8 of us but 2 of us are new and only the gamemaster has the books and he kinda doesn't let anyone use them. Everyone else has the online program or something on their laptops.

*Barby *

The DM won't let you have access to the books, even though two of you are new to the game? Meaning that there's a very slim chance the two of you have the books? Wow, that's... that's not good.

Maybe ask one of them if you can borrow the program they use? Or ask them if they'll help you stat up the character, that way they can help you out in real time.

Because, if they aren't willing to help out a new player, they're probably not the best group to start out with. Or at the very least, they're not going to be the best representation of 4e playgroups...
It's the only dnd group.I'll ask. They seemed to know everything off the top of theirr heads. 

*Barby *

Sign In to post comments