Where are Sorcceres, Warlocks and other classes?

Hi, long time no see forum!

I wasn't for couple of weeks because of the personal stuff and my first playtest group splinting. But now brother and his wife are eager to play D&D so maybe will run next playtests soon. Laughing 

And now on topic - what happen to the Sorcerses and Warlocks classes from the summer packets? Aren't they inculded now? If not, can use the previous version for playtests? And when we will see Paladin, Bard and other classes in packets? 

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

WotC is focusing on the core classes (and the monk) before they release any of the more niche classes.

you'll see all the classes you'd expect from dnd, but not until they're happy with the core 4. 

Happy to be back on the best D&D forum on the internet!

WotC is focusing on the core classes (and the monk) before they release any of the more niche classes.

you'll see all the classes you'd expect from dnd, but not until they're happy with the core 4. 

Unfortunately, this. They said that the sorcerer and warlock will be on hiatus while they rethink the classes (so we might see something very different). It's a very sad thing for me, because our group has gone 100% into D&D next and I'm playing a sorcerer. Zero updates make me sad. There's no real knowledge of when they are throwing them back into the mix, but I'd imagine it's at least 2 packets away. They hinted towards multiclassing coming soon. And prestige classes are a possiblity to be thrown in afterwards.
So if we want to use Sorcs and Warlocks we need to use the summer edition, yeah? Sad, but I so much love the Warlock idea that definilty will use him for play. Cool
Are old packets still available to download? I'd like to take a look at the sorcerer and warlock, but started the playtest the packet after they were removed.
I also think they are exploring whether things like Sorcerers and Warlocks deserve their own class OR if they can be add-ons to existing classes. For example, Sorcerers and Warlocks might be traditions for Wizards... Very curious to see how all this plays out.
I do find it amusing that people bashed the Sorcerer endlessly. The Warlock got a more luke warm reception, but mainly because people were so upset with the Sorcerer. But now that they aren't around anymore everyone is all sunshine and daisies Funny how nostalgia works.
My two copper.
I do find it amusing that people bashed the Sorcerer endlessly. The Warlock got a more luke warm reception, but mainly because people were so upset with the Sorcerer. But now that they aren't around anymore everyone is all sunshine and daisies Funny how nostalgia works.

I liked both classes from beinging, no negative rant on from me one them. Maybe some polishing, but we didn't tried then in our PC group, so I wasn't having real input to rant about.

As to where to download it - I'm glad I kept my files form previous iteration. No clue where to find it in other way... 

I absolutely loved the sorcerer. An additional flare would be nice, but it was almost exactly what I wanted to see. It worries me slightly what this massive overhaul of the sorcerer will be like. I am currently playing in a long-term campaign as a sorcerer. There's a high possibility that a retcon nuke will strike my character because of the changes.

I absolutely loved the sorcerer. An additional flare would be nice, but it was almost exactly what I wanted to see. It worries me slightly what this massive overhaul of the sorcerer will be like. I am currently playing in a long-term campaign as a sorcerer. There's a high possibility that a retcon nuke will strike my character because of the changes.

Same here.  It was EXACTLY my idea of a Sorcerer.  And it was a darn-good translation of the 4e Sorcerer as well, at least the Dragon one, and I could easily see less Melee-focused non-Dragon Sorcerers (Fey Sorcerers, Cosmic Sorcerers, Chaos Sorcerers, Vampiric Sorcerer, etc) could be made using that module.  I really don't want a Sorcerer that's basically a watered down Wizard.

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

or the fact that peoples complaints about the sorcerer were to do with THAT ONE ORIGIN and not the sorcerer as a whole
I liked the idea of the Sorcerer but I thought that it had too glaring flaws:  One - power point magic systems are highly problematic and I saw it heading down a road that I expected to lead to major problems as they got into higher level spells.  My solution for this problem was that they needed to either a) stick to spells that affected a specified number of targets rather than area effect spells OR create unique themed spells specifically for the class.  Two - the flavor and powers of that specific Sorcerer, while cool and interesting were not what most people think of when they think of a Sorcerer (especially the heavy armor wearing part).  It would have been, imho, a great third or fourth flavor of Sorcerer to show people "Hey, look what else you can do with this class.  But it was not a good choice for the first look at the class and I wasn't surprised they yanked it for a retooling.

I also liked the Warlock, but I think it's Eldritch Blast damage needed a bit of tweaking and I think the specific invocations needed a bit of work - particularly I think the favor/ pact boon mechanics were too limiting.  But, I thought that the types of fixes it needed could easily have been done with some small fixes and was surprised they yanked it.  I have one player who liked the Warlock so I let her keep playing it to level 5 and I worked up a level 6 for her for our last session.  I'm hoping that they bring it back soon so I can get her back into playtest canon.  

Carl

I liked the idea of the Sorcerer but I thought that it had too glaring flaws:  One - power point magic systems are highly problematic and I saw it heading down a road that I expected to lead to major problems as they got into higher level spells.  My solution for this problem was that they needed to either a) stick to spells that affected a specified number of targets rather than area effect spells OR create unique themed spells specifically for the class.  Two - the flavor and powers of that specific Sorcerer, while cool and interesting were not what most people think of when they think of a Sorcerer (especially the heavy armor wearing part).  It would have been, imho, a great third or fourth flavor of Sorcerer to show people "Hey, look what else you can do with this class.  But it was not a good choice for the first look at the class and I wasn't surprised they yanked it for a retooling.

I also liked the Warlock, but I think it's Eldritch Blast damage needed a bit of tweaking and I think the specific invocations needed a bit of work - particularly I think the favor/ pact boon mechanics were too limiting.  But, I thought that the types of fixes it needed could easily have been done with some small fixes and was surprised they yanked it.  I have one player who liked the Warlock so I let her keep playing it to level 5 and I worked up a level 6 for her for our last session.  I'm hoping that they bring it back soon so I can get her back into playtest canon.  

Carl

yeah thats how i felt too for most of it.

although i like the spell point system for the sorcerer, especially the way wizards prepare now.

that could be the trade off. wizards still have their spell book to prepare from and can cast prepared spells spontaneously.
sorcerers have only the spells they know but use their own energy to cast them. thus they can put all their energy towards casting high level spells multiple times.
or put more energy into lower level spells to make them better (equivalent of casting in higher slots)
I liked the idea of the Sorcerer but I thought that it had too glaring flaws:  One - power point magic systems are highly problematic and I saw it heading down a road that I expected to lead to major problems as they got into higher level spells.  My..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

Could you explain this spell point systems are really popular and widely used, I doubt this would be so if they were so flawed.
Could you explain this spell point systems are really popular and widely used, I doubt this would be so if they were so flawed.

Telll me where to find these "popular and widely used" spell point systems and I will gladly point out there downfalls in comparison to the spell slot system present in the current playtest packet, or explain how they not compatible with the standard assumption of magic in D&D (i.e. spells have level and spells of higher levels are meant to be inherently more powerful than lower levels).

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Telll me where to find these "popular and widely used" spell point systems and I will gladly point out there downfalls in comparison to the spell slot system present in the current playtest packet, or explain how they not compatible with the standard assumption of magic in D&D (i.e. spells have level and spells of higher levels are meant to be inherently more powerful than lower levels).

Addendum:  FOr this 'popular' system to be relevant it must have a wide range of spells with very different effects which remain useful over the entire career of the wizard and not be based on narrow chains of spells, most of which are made obsolete by the next higher version of the same spell (as is typically the case in MMOs).

Carl

Here you go - Savage Worlds. I don't like Point System as norm, but as one warinat for only one type of characters - yes, it's good and funny solution. Cool
Savage Worlds.

That spell point system works wonderfully, and I like the rolling involve rather than instant and guaranteed effects - it doesn't operate with a spell level system though, even though different powers require different ranks there is no clear delineation of raw power; the attack power that a starting character can buy does comparable damage per power point to the attack powers of higher rank.

It would be a great system to add to a fantasy role-playing game, but it doesn't come pre-built with the range of 1st level (100' range, 2x 1d4+2 damage) to 9th level (1 mile range, 4x 12d6 damage), or possess any of the real "game changing" effects that mid- to high-level D&D spells are known for so we cannot know if it would be able to support D&D styled magic or if it would collapse under the added "weight" of more dramatic effects.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Sign In to post comments