G/B Golgari FNM deck help

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Started off with the golgari event deck and have been modifying with rtr drafted cards... but it is still not doing very well in standard tournaments for me. After the most recent modifications, here is the current deck list:
Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
2 Deadbridge Goliath
1 Lotleth Troll
4 Strangleroot Geist
Vampire Nighthawk
4 Dreg Mangler
Corpsejack Menace
1 Desecration Demon
1 Wolfir Silverheart

Other spells
4 Rancor
4 Tragic Slip
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Ultimate Price

Lands 
11 Forest 
9 Swamp
4 Golgari Guildgate
1 Woodland Cemetery

Sideboard
2 Bramblecrush (for planeswalkers)
2 Trestle Troll (flying)
3 Golgari Charm (vs lingering souls and enchants)
3 Naturalize (runechanter's pike and etc)
3 Vile Rebirth (vs unburial rites)
2 Duress (vs azorius)

The deck is supposed to focus on getting up some fast and/or hard hitting stuff via scavange and rancor, while having some decent removal. I think that it doesnt have a focus that is concrete enough. I should note that around my local card shop, decks with flying and lingering souls, and deck with unburial rites are very common. Im considering getting some Silklash Spiders... but I think I need some direction of where to go with this deck from here.

EDIT #1:
-3 Slitherhead
-1 Jarad's Orders
+2 Deadbridge Goliath
+1 Ultimate Price
+1 Predator Ooze

EDIT #2:
-1 Predator Ooze (didn't actually have)
+1 Jarad's Orders

-2 Jarad's Orders
-1 Thragtusk
-4 Evolving Wilds
+1 Corpsejack Menace
+1 Desecration Demon
+1 Something else for 4 mana I can't remember atm
+2 Forest
+2 Swamp
And as an additional note I forgot to mention, id like to stay on a budget.
Any reason for just running 1 Lotleth Troll? I would probably run 4 in such a deck.
Any reason for just running 1 Lotleth Troll? I would probably run 4 in such a deck.

i only own one atm... and ill get more. however im not entirely sure what i would switch out as i get more

What is your budget?  Can you dedicate $5 a week to the deck?  $10?

You might also want to look at the FNM Hero series.
What is your budget?  Can you dedicate $5 a week to the deck?  $10?

You might also want to look at the FNM Hero series.

lets assume that id be willing to spend about 10 weekly outside of drafting
Lotleth Troll is like 2.5 right now, acquire more while you can.
I'd start by getting the manabase.  It sounds boring, but it's kind of like the offensive line in football - it needs to be solid for everything else to work.  I'd probably spend my deck budget for the next few weeks on Woodland Cemetary, and once you have your set of those, look into Overgrown Tombs. 
Ok, the mana base sounds like a good place to start...
What else should I be building for? One of my concerns is that this deck isnt quite a deck that ive found a suitable label for (aggro, control, etc) except maybe beatdown, but im not even sure it is so good at that in comparison to other decks ive looked at.
My next suggestion would be to get more aggro, and move out the low-impact cards.

I think I'd move toward finding replacements for the Slitherheads and Jarad's Orders.  Things like Predator Ooze, Deadbridge Goliath, Lotleth Troll on the creature side.  Maybe a couple of Ultimate Price as far as spells go.

If you do decide to go aggro, and this will sound crazy, you might think about using Thragtusk as trade bait.  You might be able to get at least a couple of lands out of him, and once you get into a more aggro build (if you decide to do that), he doesn't fit in all that well.
I dont think id have much problem with trading thragtusk away... hes a good card, but the only thing letting him fit in to this deck is the fact that he is green.
I have a couple deadbridge goliath and I know I have at least one each of ultimate price and predator ooze... but I thought slitherheads were good even just for scavange material or discard for lotleth troll. Even after that, wouldnt my mana curve be a little wonky without the 1-drops? Either way, i will add what I have in place of that stuff and edit the list
I think your ideal 1-drop is an Arbor Elf

I feel like sometimes a 1-drop is a luxury - sometimes you're just as good not paying the life on a shock land, or placing that T1 Woodland Cemetery.  I just feel that Slitherhead is too low impact for limited, much less constructed.

The nice thing about taking the deck in this direction is not only will you be aggro enough to win games quickly, but you'll be resilient to sweepers, like Supreme Verdict
Ok cool..
Now id like to ask: do I want the guildgates in this deck, given that I seem to be opting more for aggro?
Ok cool.. Now id like to ask: do I want the guildgates in this deck, given that I seem to be opting more for aggro?

This is the problem with dual-colored decks on a budget. You have two competing needs, namely:

1. You need to mana fix (i.e. make sure you have the right type of mana). There is no difference between Golgari Guildgate and Overgrown Tomb in terms of mana fixing.

2. You need speed, since you are opting for aggro. There is a huge difference between Golgari Guildgate and Overgrown Tomb in terms of speed. The Standard format is a fast format, and by T4 a game can easily already be decided. To lose a turn because of lack of mana can have a big impact.

Your long term goal is 4x Overgrown Tomb and 4x Woodland Cemetery, which costs about $50 using tcgplayer.com pricing but gives you the best speed and flexibility in mana fixing. In the interim, your options are:

1. Use basic land only: Pros - cheap, speed; cons - weakest in terms of mana fixing
2. Use guildgates: Pros - cheap, flexible mana fixing; cons - come into play tapped
3. Use creatures that fetch lands: Pros - cheap, one-time shot at mana fixing; cons - slow, takes away something else from your deck, mana fixing less flexible than dual lands or guildgates
4. Use Evolving Wilds to fetch lands: Pros - cheap, thins out your deck, one-time shot at mana fixing; cons - basic land comes into play tapped, mana fixing less flexible than dual lands or guildgates

It's hard to say which is best overall, as this depends, in part, on your deck and what you will be playing aginast. Your deck really needs mana fixing. You have 2-drops that require both a black and green mana source and you have a bunch of cards that require either or , and even one that requires . I think most would opt for guildgates in your situation, but why don't you experiment with at least options 1, 2, and 4. But until you can afford a full complement of dual-colored lands, you are likely to be at a disadvantage relative to most of your competition.
It actually seems that I forgot to put the four evolving wilds in the deck on to the deck list... so im using essentially eight lands that come in to play tapped. Should I still be using both guildgates and evolving wilds?

In addition, I just found that I dont actually have a predator ooze. Ill adjust the deck list.
I think until you get the more expensive land cards, 4x Guildgate is fine.  They do come into play tapped, but sometimes that's just an ideal play for T1.  With only two colors I would probably not run Evolving Wilds.

Overgrown Tomb is especially good with Arbor Elf, since you can use it to play a black source.

Even the "finished" deck list for this type of deck continues to use the Guildgates, so they are fine even then, especially if you go the Ooze route and need triple green to cast that guy.
Even the "finished" deck list for this type of deck continues to use the Guildgates, so they are fine even then, especially if you go the Ooze route and need triple green to cast that guy.

Good point. I should have added that some competitive decks will use guildgates to mana fix for cards that require three of the same color mana. The use of Rakdos Guildgate in B/R decks that play Geralf's Messenger is a classical example of this (but only in addition to 4x each of the two dual-colored lands).

Im working on a BG deck myself and having 4x Overgrown Tomb at least is what you need. This is mainly because Arbor Elf doesnt do you that much good early game if you drop a guildgate or woodland cemetery. I have 2x Farseek in my deck, which is awesome cause it lets me search for overgrown tomb turn 2 potentially.

The key to standard right now seems to be not so much the cards you run, but the mana base. Yes the cards always will matter, but without the ability to play them as fast as possible, you will definitely suffer for it.

Also in terms of budget, I use tcgplayer, ebay and trades to aquire what I need usually. Ebay is awesome if you can pick up high value cards for cheap, then trade them for the cards you need for your deck and tcgplayer probably has the lowest prices for online stores. 
Awesome, thank you all for the advice. I have a few more questions though:
1. What do you think about the LegitMTG shop? They dont charge much shipping if any at all. Mtgplayer ive found charges a lot in shipping even for only a few cards.
2. Should I consider Grisly Salvage, Golgari Keyrune, or Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord? Those seem to be more suited to a scavenge based strategy, however.
3. I would like comments on the sideboard.
I do not have much experience with the online retailers.  As a rule, I generally prefer to support the local shops (philosophical thing), but I rarely buy singles anyway.  I think LegitMTG is probably fine.  The one time I did order a card online was from Card Kingdom.  They got it to me fast in a nice case.

I would avoid those cards.  I built a fun Jarad deck for a tournment not long ago, but it wasn't very good.  You need a lot of cheap Innistrad cards for that sort of strategy.

Sideboard cards for the deck might include things like Appetite for Brains. Duress, Golgari Charm, Ranger's Guile (protect your creatures), Sever the Bloodline and Tragic Slip.  These should all come pretty cheap.  A more expensive sideboard card might be a few copies of Deathrite Shaman.
What do you think about the LegitMTG shop? They dont charge much shipping if any at all. Mtgplayer ive found charges a lot in shipping even for only a few cards.

Hm. I find most tcgplayer sellers tend to charge $0.49 to $0.99. Many have free shipping if you buy cards for $50. And it has a nice optimizer tool that allows you to find the cheapest combination of sellers for any set of cards in your shopping cart, including shopping price. Moreover, every transaction I've done on tcgplayer has gone ultra smooth, which I cannot say for ebay, where I've had to file a case with customer support two times.

Edit: I'm not familiar with LegitMTG, but I just browsed their inventory, and while their prices and shipping costs seem very competitive, their inventory seems really light (maybe because of the former). 
One more thing-- I just got some cards from draft and I want to know if they are even worth consideration in this deck:
Desecration Demon
Grave Betrayal
Death's Presence
One more thing-- I just got some cards from draft and I want to know if they are even worth consideration in this deck: Desecration Demon Grave Betrayal Death's Presence

I like Desecration Demon, even though the common advice is not to play cards that give your opponent options. The same is said for Vexing Devil, but the deck that won my last FNM had 4x Vexing Devil in it.

Desecration Demon is fine card in the short run.  Since you've got a lot of changes to make that will take some time, I'd run him over an upgrade over some of your lower impact cards right now.
Alright, I did some trading and buying and drafting and now I have the mana base and more trolls. Here is the current list:
It looks pretty good overall.  I don't know if Arbor Elf is your best choice, though.  Most of your cards are fairly low-cost, making it feel unnecessary.  I don't know Golgari all that well, so I'm at a bit of a loss about what to replace them with, but I think that it should be switched out.
You have a point. It really just turns to troll food later in the game, or it allows me more mana to scavenge, assuming it is still on the field. It does allow for a t2 dreg mangler or nighthawk though...
Only thing i could think of to replace would be slitherhead, which doesnt do as much work as arbor elf it would seem.
Only thing i could think of to replace would be slitherhead, which doesnt do as much work as arbor elf it would seem.

Slitherhead is alright. An excellent 1-mana drop (but expensive, moneywise) is Deathrite Shaman.

Also, there is another good Golgari-themed thread that I recommend you review, if you haven't already:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Here is some stats from the standard tournament I played yesterday:
Round 1: 2-0 vs selesnya enchantments control
Round 2: 1-2 vs azorius enchantments control
Round 3: 2-1 vs golgari splash red 1 1 counters
Round 4: 0-2 vs b/w/g lingering souls

So id say it is reasonably competitive... given that I pretty much was up against decks I didnt have answers for maindeck. Btw, here is the sideboard:

Sign In to post comments