Token noob Question # 723,893...

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Real quick, the majority of my experience is Magic 2012 and 2013 on xbox and about 5 real games with my bro in law. I have collected well over 1000 cards via eBay and the fantasy shop. I actually built my swamp deck after thexbox 2012 version, awesome deck btw.
2 questions atm, what is the side board and how is it used? Also on some newer cards I have they have level abilities in the description. How are these used?
Thanks!
what is the side board and how is it used? Also on some newer cards I have they have level abilities in the description. How are these used?

1) a sideboard is a group of extra cards that you use alongside your deck in some formats. You can use those cards to tweak your deck depending on what type of deck you are facing. In most Constructed formats it is 15 cards (or 0, your choice but nothing in between) and in Limited it is every card left in your pool that you didnt use in your deck. You tend to include narrow cards that you wouldnt want to put into your main deck (for example, cards that target a specific color or disrupt a particular combo, that are very good against the right decks but useless the rest of the time).

2) Level Up is a mechanic that was introduced during the Rise of the Eldrazi set (part of the Zendikar block). You can activate the Level Up ability on a creature that has it to add Level counters to that creature, and then depending on the number of counters it has it gets better stats and extra abilities. Level Up creatures start with 0 counters, so are at "Level 0" by default. Adding 1 counter makes it Level 1, adding a second counter makes it Level 2 and so on. There are other ways to add counters, for example Proliferate.

Hope that helps 

~ Tim
p.s. use gatherer.wizards.com to look up cards and abilities etc.  

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Thank you Tim, very helpful!
I actually built my swamp deck after thexbox 2012 version, awesome deck btw.

Two quick notes:

- I'm not familiar with the Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 decks, but just as a minor note, a deck that generally uses Swamp for mana would be referred to by its color, i.e. a "black deck" (or sometimes "mono-black" to indicate it does not use any other colors). A deck that uses Mountain and Forest would be a red/green deck, etc.

- While your deck is perfectly fine for playing with family and friends, if you want to take the next step and play in store events, like Friday Night Magic, your deck will need to be compliant with the format being played. Most likely this will be the Standard format, and a number of your cards will probably not be legal in that format. More details on Standard are available here:

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

So in standard tourneys, like one might play in FNM, you have to use only cards from those 6 sets, which I'm assuming are the 6 most recently released? That kinda stinks because, while I'm sure their are a lot of cards I have yet to see, I'm sure their are A LOT of older fun cards out there. I guess this is to keep things fresh and to stop people from using the same old deck each time...
The number of legal sets in Standard varies. Every fall, the 4 oldest sets (the older of the two legal blocks in its entirety as well as the core set following it) become illegal with the release of the first set of the new block, which will also be legal from that time on. The new block's next expansion sets as well as the core set following them are then added as they are released. The next year's rotation then kicks out the older sets again. And so forth.

Yes, there are a lot of cool cards throughout Magic history, and they make for really broken decks. The Standard format makes it easier for newer players to compete with the veterans as all have only the same limited pool of options of the most recent cards. Getting powerful older cards can get really expensive, so this would keep many new players out of tournaments, simply because they cannot afford the money to get the cards to even be able to compete. It also adds variety to the game and kindles creativity as you already guessed.
The Standard format makes it easier for newer players to compete with the veterans as all have only the same limited pool of options of the most recent cards. Getting powerful older cards can get really expensive, so this would keep many new players out of tournaments, simply because they cannot afford the money to get the cards to even be able to compete. It also adds variety to the game and kindles creativity as you already guessed.

All of this is true, but it also requires players to buy new cards from Wizards of the Coast (directly or indirectly). The true motivation behind Standard is a clever business model.

Eh maybe but wizards also makes plenty of money from eternal formats like modern and commander by producing reprints of difficult to aquire and expensive cards and since things like the modern masters boosters and commander packs have a higher cost per card ratio they make more money for the same cost in materials on those products which strictly speaking makes them more cost effective.
Sign In to post comments