Thorn elemental

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
sorry i dont remember how to show the card but Thorn elemental i have that in play and i am being attacked by a 8/8 creature and i block it with thorn elemental and his text reads (you may have thorn elemental deal its combat damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked) can i have my thorn elemental do its 7 damage to the player who attacked me when i block with thorny
No.  The Thorn Elemental's ability only works when it is attacking.  Also note that YOU are the defending player in this instance, so even if you could use the ability, you would deal 7 damage to yourself.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Please Autocard: [c]Thorn Elemental[/c] = Thorn Elemental

A creature can only be blocked when it's attacking.  Thorn elemental's ability only works while it's attacking, so it doesn't deal it's damage to the player if it blocks another creature.  So the answer to your question is no it won't deal damage to the player, it will deal it's damage to the creature it's blocking. 

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

sorry i dont remember how to show the card but Thorn elemental i have that in play and i am being attacked by a 8/8 creature and i block it with thorn elemental and his text reads (you may have thorn elemental deal its combat damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked) can i have my thorn elemental do its 7 damage to the player who attacked me when i block with thorny

thorn elemental

No, that ability works when he is attacking, hence the language "defending player" and "as though it weren't blocked".  even if it did work, the damage would go to you since you are the "defending player" at the moment.
Actually, Thorn Elemental's ability does work while it's blocking, but not in the way that you'd think. When Thorn Elemental is blocking, it isn't blocked. If you assign its damage as though it weren't blocked...you'll assign its damage the way that you normally would.
Rules Advisor