Shuffling

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know any cards that put creatures on the bottom of an opponents library or just shuffled into it? I'm looking for some EDH removal and thought that these types of things would be best for getting rid of enemy commanders (except Mutilate, nothing can survive a big enough Mutilate). Thanks!
Hinder and terminus, just off the top of my head would do the trick. I hate terminus so much. Yell
Condemn, but I'm guessing that you already know about that one.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

You're not looking to make friends are you? Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again.

We banned those from our EDH decks because the people using it didnt like being brought down to 1 hp (often just downright killed) by everyone else, hell most of the time there was a temporary truce to bring down whoever shuffled someone's commander in his library.

Also for the sake of it, a lot of stuff can survive a big enough mutilate..... persist and undying are big survivors
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
While I certainly think that playgroups should do whatever they feel leads to the most fun games, there is certainly an air of scrubbiness to banning tuck effects...how on earth else are you supposed to deal with overpowering generals?

Anyway, @OP: Chaos Warp, Oblation, Spin into Myth, Proteus Staff, Bant Charm and Hallowed Burial are off the top of my head the major ones that haven't been named already.

Edit: Spell Crumple
blah blah metal lyrics
You're not looking to make friends are you? Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again.



This has not been my experience at all. But I'm also guessing that in your play group people rely on their commanders to carry the day and are fool enough to not pack answers to their opponent's removal. Hexproof, Shroud, countermagic... Hell, Swords to Plowshares or Go for the Throat on your own commander allows you to send it back into the Command zone instead of sitting there and just letting your opponent put it into your deck. Reshuffling and tutoring is also valid. Reusable Scrye effects, top of deck manipulation combined with reshuffles...

If this is such a big problem in your group that you need to ban it, than I'd say your group is more interested in banning cards than improving their skill as players. Almost everyone I play EDH with delights in being magnificent bastards, and while we may not like it when we are the victims, we are sportsman enough to recognize these tactics as good plays. Hell, just last night I had 4 people scoop to me at once because I had Magus of the Moat, Erratic Portal, and Gilded Lotus on the board after I Armageddoned. It was awesome. They scooped because they knew I had the game in the bag at that point.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

My playgroup just laughs at the idea of people losing commanders and sends them right back to the command group so it's a non-issue for us. 


If this is such a big problem in your group that you need to ban it, than I'd say your group is more interested in banning cards than improving their skill as players.



Look i'm all for improving my playskill and everything, but dude, get an off switch and lighten up. It's commander.
You aren't here to improve your playskill, your here to run around with a silly inconsistent casual deck and make sure everyone has fun.
Look i'm all for improving my playskill and everything, but dude, get an off switch and lighten up. It's commander.
You aren't here to improve your playskill, your here to run around with a silly inconsistent casual deck and make sure everyone has fun.


Did it occur to you that is how some of us have fun? Hell, I've seen someone pop his Plague Boiler in response to me Busting. It's hilarious. We have fun. Hell, When I put Numot, the Devastator into the command zone at the beginning of the game I know at least one player immediately drops crosshairs on me. Instead of telling the guy who has no problem with being on the receiving end of others' being magnificent bastards to "lighten up", maybe you should consider that you can't get much "lighter" than casually accepting getting your board wiped.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

You're not looking to make friends are you? Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again.

I suspect that's just a regional playgroup thing, because I've never seen that happen--ever. Putting commanders into libraries is accepted as a normal part of the game by every group I've ever played Commander with, and never brings down the wrath of the table on its own. Heck, it doesn't even always draw significant ire from the person whose commander you've just tucked.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed


Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

You're not looking to make friends are you? Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again.

I suspect that's just a regional playgroup thing, because I've never seen that happen--ever. Putting commanders into libraries is accepted as a normal part of the game by every group I've ever played Commander with, and never brings down the wrath of the table on its own. Heck, it doesn't even always draw significant ire from the person whose commander you've just tucked.


Pretty nuch this. Hell, I imagine most playgroups will be glad to be able to take an Omnath/Ghave/Numot break.

If you're looking for universal friendship-enders, you want Plow Under (Or New Super Mario Bros. Wii) 
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
You're not looking to make friends are you? Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again.



This has not been my experience at all. But I'm also guessing that in your play group people rely on their commanders to carry the day and are fool enough to not pack answers to their opponent's removal. Hexproof, Shroud, countermagic... Hell, Swords to Plowshares or Go for the Throat on your own commander allows you to send it back into the Command zone instead of sitting there and just letting your opponent put it into your deck. Reshuffling and tutoring is also valid. Reusable Scrye effects, top of deck manipulation combined with reshuffles...

If this is such a big problem in your group that you need to ban it, than I'd say your group is more interested in banning cards than improving their skill as players. Almost everyone I play EDH with delights in being magnificent bastards, and while we may not like it when we are the victims, we are sportsman enough to recognize these tactics as good plays. Hell, just last night I had 4 people scoop to me at once because I had Magus of the Moat, Erratic Portal, and Gilded Lotus on the board after I Armageddoned. It was awesome. They scooped because they knew I had the game in the bag at that point.



Why do we play EDH? Because we want to have fun, because our casual vintage and legacy decks dont give much room for error, turn 1-2-3-4 the game is over, even when it's not always technically over (hardlock, infinite combos, etc). The games arent always exciting, so, how do we have fun? By playing those fun cards that cannot keep up with our casual games.... SURPRISE Often they turn out to be our commanders!!!

Our banned list is : cards that shuffle at the bottom of the library... the rest is fair game, one of the commander is braids, in another deck, someone can loop extra turns time vault/walk in several differnt ways. Upping our game is not possible... on the other hand, making sure that everyone enjoys itself and gets to play their commander is possible.

Let's resume this
- Fun > Unfun, we banned the cards that were the least fun for us.
- Dont be a pretentious jerk when you dont know anything and keep that uninformed judgement/advice to yourself, thank you


Also let's be honest, if people scooped to you because you had that on the field and presumably nothing else of importance, YOUR playgroup needs to up their game, because that's a PRETTY pathetic lock on the game.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Why do we play EDH? Because we want to have fun...



No foolin'? I thought people played Magic because it was the most un-fun thing they could find to do with their time.


- Dont be a pretentious jerk when you dont know anything and keep that uninformed judgement/advice to yourself, thank you



Says the guy that assumes every group is going to gang up on someone for playing Condemn? Really?


Also let's be honest, if people scooped to you because you had that on the field and nothing else, YOUR playgroup needs to up their game


Not only did I have mana sources and a way to bounce the only two remaining creatures on the board, I was two turns away from denying anyone mana sources for the rest of the game. They knew what their decks could and could not do, and had seen mine in action a few times. They knew I had them. So did I. The timed saved let us go into a 4-way free for all with non-EDH casual decks before the shop closed up for the night.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Why do we play EDH? Because we want to have fun...



No foolin'? I thought people played Magic because it was the most un-fun thing they could find to do with their time.


- Dont be a pretentious jerk when you dont know anything and keep that uninformed judgement/advice to yourself, thank you



Says the guy that assumes every group is going to gang up on someone for playing Condemn? Really?


Also let's be honest, if people scooped to you because you had that on the field and nothing else, YOUR playgroup needs to up their game


Not only did I have mana sources and a way to bounce the only two remaining creatures on the board, I was two turns away from denying anyone mana sources for the rest of the game. They knew what their decks could and could not do, and had seen mine in action a few times. They knew I had them. So did I. The timed saved let us go into a 4-way free for all with non-EDH casual decks before the shop closed up for the night.



Condemn, you're talking about it on a stick right? Because most of our decks use that stick. Also where did I assume that all playgroup will do the same as we did, I listed it as one of the possibilities. Clearly, arguing is not your strong point, sophisms are not arguments.

You had mana sources and they didnt? No artifacts, no creatures, no enchanments for mana. DAMN... they do need to up their game!
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
You had mana sources and they didnt? No artifacts, no creatures, no enchanments for mana. DAMN... they do need to up their game!


The only guy who drew into his mana rocks had them blown up by an early Trygon Predator one of the other guys had dropped. Mana producing enchantmets aren't exactly common in the game in general, and few people in my groups expect creature based mana ramp to work. (I'm going , my only real option is rocks or Myr.)

Also, you are the one who said, "Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again." So, yeah, you ARE the one who expects someone to get ganged up on for a Condemn. Unless you seriously over-spoke how likely you thought it was.

As for Condemn on a stick, I don't think most of us have a stick to spare (I have one or two, but I'm not going rooting around in my storage unit in the cold for a mother eating Isoscepter). Let's be honest, anyone that's played more than 3 games of EDH is going to pack artifact hate, and nothing draws it like an Isoscepter.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Someone is backtracking pretty hard...you definitely warned the player that "generally" something would occur due to his action. You now realize that it's just your very whiny play group that can't handle commander removal. UP YOUR GAME and stop complaining. Some commander groups end up being people that don't know how to play Magic. While the vast majority just want a change of pace and like a new format.

 
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
You're not looking to make friends are you? Shuffle most commanders at the bottom of their library and you'll have a BIG crosshair on your head for the rest of the game and every time you will use that deck again.

We banned those from our EDH decks because the people using it didnt like being brought down to 1 hp (often just downright killed) by everyone else, hell most of the time there was a temporary truce to bring down whoever shuffled someone's commander in his library.

Also for the sake of it, a lot of stuff can survive a big enough mutilate..... persist and undying are big survivors





Arg, arg, arg.

Moimoi, you're my favorite poster in this thread but I've got to side with everyone else there.

Granted, everyone's group is different. EDH hits that point where some people want to durdle and eff around and some people just want to play a multiplayer game restricted to singletons with 40 life and a really neat special rule that provides an abusable but defeatable effect.


I agree with WOTC on this one. They've clearly made a deliberate choice to provide cards which tuck things. It's a good idea in my opinion. Most of the tuck effects aren't particular advantagous to the player playing them in any case. Sure, it hoses some decks. Some groups dislike things that hose a given deck. You'll get groups who utterly hate graveyard hate too from what I've heard to match the groups that hate decks that use the graveyard as a resource but refuse to run GY hate. Whatev's, it's their game. My beer and pretzels group tends to feature two people eliminating themselves early in Risk because they whoever starts the game with a single piece of Australia tends to just put almost all of their stuff there in a huge struggle to see who can get it. Sometimes all three cripple themselves, sometimes only two do. Sometimes people get their feelings hurt when they play Diplomacy because a deal was broken.

If a tuck effect hoses your deck, then... you're either builting an ultra-tron and should defend more, need more card selection or... something. If someone's wasting a card on tucking you it's probably because being down a card+ in a multiplayer game isn't as bad as letting you resolve it. If you're already in the lead when you get tucked then that's a big part of the entire "fun" factor of multiplayer for me - it's casual because if you start coming out ahead you've better be ready for showtime, etc. and (mildly drunken) politics are a thing. If you're getting tucked by someone and you're not currently in the post position then either a) the person tucking you is an idiot and/or really wants you nailed to a tree (politics!) or else that person is in the post position and is trying to keep their lead, in which case they should totally try to gank you and the rest of the table should probably be trying to hose them while jealously attempting to keep each other from catapulting ahead.

I mean, hell, take it a level further: tuck the general of anyone who plays Serra Ascendant. Woo, two wrongs and we've got hilarity.


Personally, I responded to my groups full proxy acceptance and complaints about other decks by making the stupidest LD deck I could. It was a reaction to people complaining that Slivers were broken despite the fact that the Sliver's deck, even with perfect access to the cardpool, had a janky manabase that stumbled fairly frequently. So... clearly, the solution is sweepers, LD and suffering, right? So... I'm possibly the best person to comment on playgroups.

That being said... if you really dislike something, hate on it. If you're an idiot for hating on it you'll lose a ton. Social compacts including realizing that s*** happens and multiplayer makes for a great ballancer because of the resources needed for a kill, etc.


76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Also for the sake of it, a lot of stuff can survive a big enough mutilate..... persist and undying are big survivors



I thought that Mutilate's effect affected all creatures until end of turn. Wouldn't this mean that a creature with undying or persist would be killed, come back, and be killed again? It's a creature and it's on the battlefield so I thought it would be affected even when it returns to the field.
Also for the sake of it, a lot of stuff can survive a big enough mutilate..... persist and undying are big survivors



I thought that Mutilate's effect affected all creatures until end of turn. Wouldn't this mean that a creature with undying or persist would be killed, come back, and be killed again? It's a creature and it's on the battlefield so I thought it would be affected even when it returns to the field.


It only affects creatures that are on the battlefield at the time it resolves.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

 

It lasts until end of turn, but it only affects creatures that were on the battlefield at the time it resolved. This is, in general, how instants and sorceries that create continuous effects work.
blah blah metal lyrics
Also for the sake of it, a lot of stuff can survive a big enough mutilate..... persist and undying are big survivors



I thought that Mutilate's effect affected all creatures until end of turn. Wouldn't this mean that a creature with undying or persist would be killed, come back, and be killed again? It's a creature and it's on the battlefield so I thought it would be affected even when it returns to the field.


Mutilate only affects creatures on the battlefield when it resolves.

Edit: Double beaten?!
Tunkle, the creature died, it came back, it's fresh new and unaffected. The untill end of turn effect leaves when the creature died, it just came back after.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it

Condemn, possibly Hide, Bant Charm, Hinder, Proteus Staff, Spell Crumple, Ether Well, Spin Into Myth, Banishing Stroke, Terminus, Hallowed Burial, Warp World, Void Stalker, Gomazoa, possibly Deglamer. That's 13, not counting the two ones for artifacts. That's significantly more than 4.
Also, some cards are banned EDH primarily due to cost. There's the obvious 9 (10 if you count library). If your group can afford them, great. Most groups cannot. 
Anyway, I'm curious what you do about Jarad if you're not allowed to tuck him.

EDIT: I didn't count bounce and then Clique or similar.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

 

Also for the sake of it, a lot of stuff can survive a big enough mutilate..... persist and undying are big survivors



I thought that Mutilate's effect affected all creatures until end of turn. Wouldn't this mean that a creature with undying or persist would be killed, come back, and be killed again? It's a creature and it's on the battlefield so I thought it would be affected even when it returns to the field.



It hits everything on the battlefield when it goes off.

If you cast Mutilate and then Dark confidant on the same turn the Confidant has no idea why the room is so empty. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

Condemn, possibly Hide, Bant Charm, Hinder, Proteus Staff, Spell Crumple, Ether Well, Spin Into Myth, Banishing Stroke, Terminus, Hallowed Burial, Warp World, Void Stalker, Gomazoa, possibly Deglamer. That's 13, not counting the two ones for artifacts. That's significantly more than 4.
Also, some cards are banned EDH primarily due to cost. There's the obvious 9 (10 if you count library). If your group can afford them, great. Most groups cannot. 
Anyway, I'm curious what you do about Jarad if you're not allowed to tuck him.

EDIT: I didn't count bounce and then Clique or similar. 



We dont play most of them in our playgroup and most of them arent what I wrote, you did nail 3, you missed 1 and there's one we dont play that would possibly count, so I'll up it to 5! P9 arent banned due to cost, they are banned because they are simply overpower the rest of the cards, cost was just an extra incentive to ban them.

Anyway, we didnt enjoy those cards, we banned them, simple as that, it's not whether or not we can handle them, it's just that we deemed them unfun, more than a wednesday night, 23:30, shahrazad.  You can disagree all you want, but uninformed judging tone that's borderline insulting, I have a harder time accepting that. As for the potshots losers, I've read the names and it's not like I expected anything more brilliant than random potshots from any of them.

I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
I've removed content from this thread. Trolling/baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct, as is masked vulgarity

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite, on topic and refrain from personal attacks. You are free to disagree with one another as long as it is done in a respectful manner.
Okay. So after seeing all of your suggestions, here is a deck that I came up with. The only thing I don't like is that I can only run 33 land, but I don't know what to cut. Or would 33 land be managable with the amount of land search that I have?

Commander: Riku of Two Reflections


Anti-Counter


Vexing Shusher


Spellbreaker Behemoth


Land Fixing


Cultivate


Harrow


Journey of Discovery


Explosive Vegetation


Boundless Realms


Bounce


Equilibrium


Card Draw


Divination


Counsel of the Soratami


Arcanis the Omnipotent


Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur


Rhystic Study


Garruk's Packleader


Free stuff


Djinn of Wishes


Myojin of Life's Web


Aetherplasm


Copy/Cloning


Clone


Phyrexian Metamorph


Rite of Replication


Echo Mage


Cryptoplasm


Counters


Spell Crumple


Hinder


Muddle the Mixture Transmute is really cool


Destructive Stuff


Hull Breach


Relic Crush


Rain of Thorns


Argentum Armor


Decimate Amazing thing to copy (especially since the 4 targets don't have to be different, an artifact creature can be targeted twice if need be)


Extra damage is always good


Mage Slayer


Magmatic Force


Comet Storm


Balefire Dragon


Extra turns are always better


Time Warp


Time Stretch


Lighthouse Chronologist Very nice to copy


Fatties


Apocalypse Hydra


Engulfing Slagwurm


Avatar of Fury Two 6/6 w/flying for 4 mana? Yes please!


Field Damage


Mizzium Mortars


Disaster Radius


Creature Protection (Especially my commander)


Lightning Greaves


Mask of Avacyn


Swiftfoot Boots


Whispersilk Cloak


Aspect of Mongoose


Fool's Demise I have a friend who used this with Bruna, Light of Alabaster, it was insanly hard to destroy her.


Reccuring


Nature's Spiral


Vengeful Rebirth


Misc.


Dominus of Fealty


Time of Need There are a few legends that are worth searching for


Fierce Empath Can search for a wide range of creatures


Descendant of Soramaro


Animar, Soul of Elements


Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger


Platinum Angel


Parallel Lives Works amazingly with Riku


Spin into Myth really good removal, especially if copied


Wild Ricochet AWSOME with Time Stretch if I ever had enough mana


Pongify


Rampaging Baloths Excellent with Parallel Lives and Riku of Two Reflections


Grozoth Can search out Myojin of Life's Web


Seedborn Muse


Primordial Hydra Will win the game if unanswered (which probably won't happen, but who knows?)


Hydra Omnivore Does damage to everyone, what's more fun?

33 lands is not enough... to do a comparaison, that's 20 lands for a 60 cards deck. Half your commander cards cost twice as much as any of your normal decks cards and those decks usually settle for 22-24 lands. That should give you a perspective of how low 33 lands is. I have 2 EDH decks, one is mono black with 4 ways to have a lot of mana (cabal coffers, bubbling muck, crypt of agadeem, magus of the coffers) with 4 tutors : demonic, diabolic, vampiric tutors and expedition maps... still I run 38 lands. In my damia deck, I run 4 land fetch cards and run 41 lands.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Yeah I never go below 35 lands, usually 36-39. Try and find room for at least two or three more.
blah blah metal lyrics
I went to mtgdeckbuilder.net, built the above deck, and tested exactly 100 games. I kept track of how many land I had in my opening hand and how much land I would have on the field by turn 5 (this includes ramping with stuff like Cultivate). My opening hand had an average of 2.37 land and the fifth turn had an average of 4.19 land on the field. With this kind of testing accuracy, I'm forced to agree that I need more land. For anyone who cares; I shall post the results of another test, done exactly the same way, with about 38 land sometime very soon. I hope you find this interesting. (Or at least amusing that I'm willing to go through the trouble for this much accuracy in testing).
You should REALLY look at your mana curve, 21 cards cost 6+, 14 of them are 7+. Half your deck is 5+ and I dont believe I saw any turn 1 drops and only 2-3 turn 2 drops.

You'll be incredibly weak and vulnerable up to turn 5-6.... that is given you get 5-6 lands by that turn, which isnt something that will always happen.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Early weakness in commander is almost a given. The larger life total kinda covers that. I think you should include more land that comes into play tapped. Probably a bird as well. Birds can carry equipment just as well as anything else and in green you should be playing a rancor anyway for the trample.

Your not nearly as mean as I am with decks. I almost always play a coalition relic and grim monolith for instance just for the ramp.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Early weakness in commander is almost a given. The larger life total kinda covers that. I think you should include more land that comes into play tapped. Probably a bird as well. Birds can carry equipment just as well as anything else and in green you should be playing a rancor anyway for the trample.

Your not nearly as mean as I am with decks. I almost always play a coalition relic and grim monolith for instance just for the ramp.



Early weakness is a given, but he seemed to imply early weakness by commander standards. At t5 my group (and granted we're a all either scrubs or cheesemongers) tend to be, like, doing stuff. Someone's up to 7-8 mana and is already doing "commander things", someone else is stalling because they've got a viable play but it'll catapult them to pole to early and the third guy is trying to decide whether he should burn some point removal or burn a sweeper for the time being.

Mind you, we've got a group where, say, someone landing Crucible of Worlds and getting a teramorphic chain recursion going is seen as nice but slow enough that it doesn't really register and waiting to kill the crucible until the first time strip mine/tectonic edge hits because burning artifact kill early isn't worth the risk that it'll never matter. Maybe we just hit land fast.

76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
The problem is that he'll have no answer to something like this

Turn 1 : Plain, sol ring
Turn 2 : Island, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

Also there's too many 1 for 1 cards. If you cripple yourself (using a card) to cripple someone else (making that person lose 1-X cards and from what I've seen it's 1 for 1 for most of your cards), the third player in the game will just smile.

Attack repellent are very useful early game... something like wall of tears or wall of blossoms are incredibly strong 2 drops, they will not be killed and it will protect you from any single creature attacks
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
The problem is that he'll have no answer to something like this

Turn 1 : Plain, sol ring
Turn 2 : Island, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

Also there's too many 1 for 1 cards. If you cripple yourself (using a card) to cripple someone else (making that person lose 1-X cards and from what I've seen it's 1 for 1 for most of your cards), the third player in the game will just smile.


He's got a Pongify, but 1 card out of 100 is far from reliable. 'Course, T1 Sol Ring is equally unlikely.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

The problem is that he'll have no answer to something like this

Turn 1 : Plain, sol ring
Turn 2 : Island, Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

Also there's too many 1 for 1 cards. If you cripple yourself (using a card) to cripple someone else (making that person lose 1-X cards and from what I've seen it's 1 for 1 for most of your cards), the third player in the game will just smile.


He's got a Pongify, but 1 card out of 100 is far from reliable. 'Course, T1 Sol Ring is equally unlikely.




Eh, 4 player games are gonna hit it now and then. 4 people doing partial paris with 1 free... well, yeah. A Sol ring is gonna hit early somewhere a decent amount of the time. Hell, Sol ring into Signet t1 happens.


And... if we're not playing multiplayer EDH then we're just killing time while we wait for 1-3 more people to show up 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
If you want detailed advice on your decklist, try the Commander forums ;)

Rules Advisor

Quotes
76783093 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
58331438 wrote:
56945988 wrote:
Rancor dies to in-response removal.
Yeah... Until next game, where it'll be right back. Seriously, there's no way to deal with Rancor in any format. It should be banned, except Gleemax is a lobbyist for the Rancor party, so that'll never happen.
You can't ban rancor, it just returns to your deck.
58331438 wrote:
57461258 wrote:
You might want to actually talk to the Flavor & Storyline Board people... since, you know, our whole reason for playing Magic is the flavor. I'm willing to bet you'll get a lot more interest there than in General.
Indeed, both posters down there would be thrilled.
57817638 wrote:
I think I wasn't direct enough in my last post. I'll try to fix it now. Ahem... NO ONE CARES there you have it.
57471038 wrote:
When talks about banning Jace first started, I was thinking that I would see him banned come June 20th. But as I think more about it, I don't really think that Jace is the problem anymore. Sure his power level leaves very little to the imagination (opening Jace is like opening a refrigerator box with a naked girl on the inside), and sure his price does have a strong impact on what players choose to play (playing Jace is like being intimate with a woman and she doesn't charge you in the morning), but it is not the source of all the problems in Standard.
76973988 wrote:
How do people think saving room to print more abilities on cards is dumbing down the game?

Do you really think, say, Akroma would ever be printed if she said, "Akroma can block by creatures with this ability and cannot be blocked by creatures without this ability.  If a creature without this ability would deal combat damage by Akroma would be destroyed, prevent all combat damage that creature would deal to Akroma this combat.  Attacking does not cause Akroma to tap.  If Akroma is blocked and deals lethal damage, it deals the remainder of its damage to the defending player.  Akroma may attack and use abilities that require tapping in the casting cost the turn it enters the battlefield.  Akroma cannot be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by black or red sources" rather than her "dumbed down" wording she has?  No freaking way.  Keywording and shorthand allows them to make complicated cards easy to play with, allowing them to be printed in the first place.
57817638 wrote:
The creation of praetors was worth it just because now amoeboid changeling is a praetor.
57140668 wrote:
1. cast frankie peanuts2. ask opponent "will you concede the game this turn"? if they say yes, you win; if they say no, play a staying power
3. subsequently ask "will you attack this turn"? and "will you cast a spell this turn"? (using a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir for the second question if necessary) to ensure they can't disrupt the combo
4. donate them a platinum angel
5. play a mox lotus and braingeyser them for every card in their library. play an opalescence and donate them a glorious anthem and a blacker lotus, then play enchanted evening. play and activate a mindslaver and then donate them a fastbond and the mox lotus (returning one of the donates to your hand with eternal witness or whatever)
6. during their turn, play every permanent in their hand (playing lands with fastbond) then (as yourself) cast mirrorweave on the blacker lotus, so every permanent becomes a copy of it. proceed to tear up every card they control, and hopefully do it before they notice that they aren't bound by staying power's ability anymore and can concede
82423538 wrote:
57471038 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
One part of the statement being true=/=the whole statement true.
Whatever. I'm still here about ten minutes away. Whenever you want to get destroyed in Magic, I'm available.
I would like to get destroyed in Magic, actually. Do you know anybody good enough?
57617478 wrote:
Please format your statements in a way that doesn't look like a baboon hit its face on your keyboard.
57140668 wrote:
why did Garruk Relentless lose a loyalty counter
Show
to get to the other side
89522235 wrote:
You're such an obvious troll that you have hexproof and : Regenerate.
56957928 wrote:
56776038 wrote:
Dark Ritual being overpowered is determined more by what is done with it than the card itself.
True, but the fact that it enables so many ridiculous things is pretty telling. It's like, sure I can use a shotgun as a bludgeoning instrument, but that doesn't make it not a shotgun.
79035425 wrote:
Shortly before Serra died, she transferred her spark into an angel whose full name was Asha Avacyn Bolas. Her dragon father groomed her for her positions in Alara and Innistrad, and she's also been getting help from her uncle Ugin in the form of Urza, who was resurrected as Marit Lage to be the avatar as which she projects herself into material realms. Grieslbrand is a split personality who sometimes wanders the planes disguised as a human woman named Liliana Vess.
97610188 wrote:
Yeah that (Content Removed) really annoys me. Moderated by MY_self right about naahowwww!
93446159 wrote:
Dilleux_Lepaire just won the thread.
57461258 wrote:
And, as usual, Dilleux wins the entire thread. Nice work, sir, nice work.
99113151 wrote:
They need to make 9 layers of zones where cards go when they "die". Much like Hell.
56778328 wrote:
Wow, holy doggy poop, kids, obvious statement is obvious.
56776038 wrote:
122053101 wrote:
i don't think your geting it WotC is trying to kill the comption to make it so that there shity app is the only one left.
I haven't tried the app. How is its use of English grammar? Cheers!
57471038 wrote:
Everyone's life would be easier if players would, instead of coming to the 'net for help with a deck, just netdeck and be done with it. And I'm not talking about some Top 8 lists, for the Casualists, too, can benefit from netdecking. I've netdecked plenty of decks from the Casual Play forums from users such as Mown, Raedien, Floopfoot, and a few others. I snatched straight the heck out of my web browser. Yes, people, your original idea fell victim to a savage netdecker. You have been assimiliated. Suppose I wanted a Zombie deck. Why on earth would I spend time searching Gatherer for a decent list of Zombie cards when Raedien already did it for me? Taking time to be creative or waiting on people on the forums to tell you why your deck sucks or 'go to Casual forums' is a disasterous waste of time (to me).
56957928 wrote:
82423538 wrote:
If WotC started putting $100 bills in packs, the players would complain that they folded them wrong.
No, they just spam them with ban requests. That being said, Magic was ruined back in Alpha when they added all that rules and cards [Debutantes avert your eyes]. My friends and I still like playing it the "pure" way (Basically we go into the woods and hit eachother with wiffle bats while shouting made up obscenities. You know, the way Garfield wanted it to be played).
56957928 wrote:
Don't worry about it. I've come up with a list of changes to fix EDH. -First off, there's no commander. -The minimum deck size is 60 cards, and each deck can have up to four of each card, save basic lands and relentless rats. Also decks have no color identity. -Starting life total is 20. And voila, now things are balanced.
89522235 wrote:
Here's a clever play you can try yourself: -Convince friend to run relentless rats.dec in legacy tournament -Get a deck with lots of mill, yixlid jailer, and humility -Drop humility and jailer, wait for him to dump his hand, mill him out -All his rats now have no abilities. Call a judge because he's playing an illegal deck with more than 4 of a single card. -Get him/her banned from competitive magic play
142055101 wrote:
But how to mark them without making the individual sleeve different! You could buy a skunk and slam it's butt on you deck (pardon the french) Then after the game just sniff at your opponent's pile of cards and you will know if any of your cards are there!!!
141434757 wrote:
In Soviet Russia, Sorin opens You
71235715 wrote:
L, is for the leather gloves you weaaaar. O, is for the organs that guy could spaaaare. V, is very very, extraordinay. E, is for every vagrant i butchered in a wine cellar befooooore.
57052258 wrote:
The outer layer of the Magic: the Gathering box, the carton, or crust, is fairly thin and light, and contains largely aluminosilcates. Within that lies the middle layer, consisting of the familiar booster pack. Although solid, the booster packs' high temperatures allow them to acutally move around within the booster box. This flow, sometimes called convection, is cited by frustrated box mappers as one of WOTC's most genious uses of thermodynamics since the Ravnica block. No one knows what lies at the core of the booster box, but scientists theorize that it must be especially dense in order to make up for the large amount of fluff distributed amongst the booster packs.
58232598 wrote:
88993869 wrote:
Torpor Orb is absolutely godawful against Vexing Devil.
whoever is playing vexing devil is probably losing anyways
56957928 wrote:
I imagine [Ajani 3's] second ability involves him hurling the creature at your opponent Brion Stoutarm style, then the guy is just like "Okay, that may have worked, but don't- GOD DAMN IT!" as he does it again because cats don't give a **** :33.
56957928 wrote:
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Albus Dumbledore, The Lord of the Rings.
89522235 wrote:
68978039 wrote:
Its like that one time Elves broke out in a field of Jund. Elves became a resurgent hit, then died off again once Jund adapted to the rest of the field of G/W that it required mass removal that inherently pooped on Elves too. Submit to the menace. Delver can, and will blot out the sun.
Then we shall play in the shade.
89522235 wrote:
I'm sorry, this forum isn't for getting bad advice on mediocre decks, that's standard deck help. This forum is for starting ****storms.
97820278 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
Your advice would only lead me to make generic, boring, and unworthy content. It's of no use to me.
I just got this image of you as an architect, having finished a building suspended by only a small pole in its southwest corner, saying it's original. Then the building collapses.
56957928 wrote:
I for one love the flavor of legendary lands. "I remember my days as a youth at Tolarian Academy." "Wow, small multiverse, I actually went there too." "WAIT, DON'T- Well ****, there's $200,000 in student loans well spent."
56957928 wrote:
And flavor goes out the window when you cast a second copy of a planeswalker right after the first one dies, so... "Hey Nissa, I need a favor." "You just asked me for a 'favor' like thirty seconds ago, and it turned out to be having Sarkhan Transmogrify my only follower into a dragon like 5 times -which dickery aside also violates some laws of causality - and then you let me get beaten over the head by that hedron crab." "...I'll give you " "...Well all right then."
57150868 wrote:
GM, I don't think Dill is better than you. I KNOW it. Even if he wakes up every morning, clubs a baby seal, steals all the TV remotes from within a block's radius of his house and then robs hungry orphans of their food he'd be better than you, for the simple reason that he learns from his mistakes.
143211137 wrote:
57033358 wrote:
Tamiyo vs. Gideon
What would they have to fight about? Like, all I can think of now is Gideon going "Hey, long-ears! I'm gathering a group of 'Walkers together to fight some tentacle monsters.....you want in?" and Tamiyo going "Ew! Hentai no bakka Gideon-desu desu!" and flying away.
76783093 wrote:
I open 4 packs just to be on the safe side. Not only do I get more cards than everyone else, but I also get to spend the rest of the night off. Win Win.
191752181 wrote:
MaRo has a thing for people opening boosters with bad cards. But since he can only get so many bad cards printed in each set, he has found a devious way of getting more bad cards into circulation: He makes entire print sheets with just bad rares, then puts them onto the assembly line. He proceeds to wring his hands and twirl his evil mustache that he grew for twirling purposes as a lightning bolt strikes in the background. Afterwards, he goes to make sure that the good cards are only opened by everyone's friends, and that we all only get to open bad cards. He does this by memorising each booster, than switching them around accordingly. Whenever someone complains about a card, he immediately jumps out from behind a chair to yell "WELL, IT'S NOT FOR YOU!" before merging back into the shadows in order to devise new ways in which he can screw over players, then claim that he has valid reasons for doing so.
97820278 wrote:
192729031 wrote:
You open a booster pack, and staring back at you from the rare slot is a Lotleth Troll? At least I can stick him in my EDH deck and still have four for my standard constructed.
Because lol troll
56874518 wrote:
It helped that I more or less skipped most of GM_Champion's longer diatribes. I only have so many brain cells I'm willing to sacrifice each day.
192931349 wrote:
Mark Rosewater is sitting in a seemingly innocuous cable TV van, outside of Bankaimastery's house. Sitting nearby are two hardened criminal hackers, fresh out of prison, and filled with resentment at their lack of physical fitness. "Have you managed to hack his brainwaves yet? The set deadline's coming up fast." "We're almost through. It should be coming up on the screen any second." The hacker presses a button, and Kevin's thoughts flash onto the screen. Mark and the hackers stare in amazement at the sheer beauty, the elegance, and the raw truth of what they see. It's like the ending to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Brilliant light shines across the screen, the truth of existence is made clear to them, and they despair at their own foolishness, their own ignorance, their own inadequacy. And then they steal his ideas. As they return back to R&D, Mark sneers at a haggard old man chained to a cast-iron sphere. The man looks up from his laborious task of breaking rocks in the dungeon of Wizards of the Coast headquarters, and asks a question: "Kevin, my greatest student. He - he's all right, isn't he? You didn't hurt him?" Mark deals him a weighty blow with his boot. "Know your place, Richard. Get back to work."
57023768 wrote:
Now show me on the Garruk doll where Zac Hill ruined your enjoyment of Magic...
63711769 wrote:
I'm only opposed to it because it bears so little relation to how people actually play the game. The example of Miracles is actually a much better one then the Clone example I was trying to use. From the game's perspective, the card can move instantly from face down in the library to revealed in the hand and that's fine for the rules. But in real life, we can't actually do that, so the card spends a good bit of time in locations that are neither where that player's library is nor where that player's hand is. And that's fine for real life. What I don't want is the disconnect to be explicitly codified. Along the lines of
183664.697 A game of Magic as laid out by these rules exists only as a pure Platonic ideal, utterly unrealizable by fallible mortals limited by the confines of physicality and the ravages of evil and sin. 183664.698 The cake is a lie, too.
I know it's true, but I don't want the rules to actually straight-up tell me that.
147137503 wrote:
77120821 wrote:
Pfft this cant be serious can it? If it is please delete your account OP. Its not even close to ban worthy, considering what JTMS and stoneforge had to accomplish to get banned i see the WotC selling magic to aquire Pokemon before that ever happens.
I'm trying to imagine sorin markov as a gym leader in one of those pokemon games which you have to beat him to get his badge... somehow I imagine that he would stab you in the chest with his sword before giving you the badge, even if you beat his pokemon....
196239043 wrote:
Personally, I'd be fine with tea time but then I'm not gonna waste the mana summoning Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. He always takes all the sugar, drinks the whole pot of Earl Grey and doesn't even say thank you. SO. RUDE.

 

JustTerrorIt wrote:

 

JuliusPringle wrote:

All I want to do is sit down and play magic, but when I walked in yesterday, (since I didn't talk to anyone) nobody talked to me and I silently bought what I wanted and walked out.


If you don't talk to anyone, that increases the odds that no one will talk to you.

 

JuliusPringle wrote:

So how do I just... introduce myself? "Hi, my name is Adam, wanna play magic with me?" Do I go to the counter and talk to the cashier?


Yeah. Talk to the cashier. Tell him/her that you want a Black Lotus, and if they don't have one tell them that the store isn't on par with what you expected.

 

Reach into your back left pocket. Pull out a deck list that you copied directly from some ChannelFireball top 8 Standard discussion, and ask for all the cards, as is, on that list. Then, ask for some random, probably terrible cards from whatever set is Standard legal. Say it's tech for the upcoming changes in the metagame.

 

Pull out a deck, and tell some random dude you wanna test (you have to use the term "test" for this to work) for Standard. Make sure that deck contains Kitchen Finks and Alluring Siren. Maybe throw in Nyxathid for good measure.

 

Finally, before you leave, spill (make it look like an accident) one hundred singleton, random cards onto the floor. Pick them up, put them in a pile, and say "EEE-DEE-AYCH".

 

I know this sounds dumb at first, but it will work. With the method outlined above, you will draw the attention of players that play older formats by asking for cards that no one on Earth can reasonably afford. You will get the attention of the wanna-be pro, Stomp-n00bz players by pulling out a well known decklist and declare that you have "tech" to make it better. You will get the attention of all the kind, helpful players by seemingly not knowing the most common format by having non-Standard legal cards in a deck that you claim is Standard legal. Finally, you catch all the rest of the Magic players by saying "EEE-DEE-AYCH" (EDH (or Commander)).

And there you have it. You will be talking to more people than you would have wanted to talk to in no time.

 

Smoke_Stack wrote:

EDH is the best format anyway


See, it's starting already.

 

Break the Card
What is Break the Card?
Break the Card is a regular thread in the Cards and Combo Forum. Quite simply, the participants are given a Johnnystatic card (e.g. Xenograft) and are asked to build a deck around it. The winner and honorable mentions are sigged below. Get brewing!
Week 1 : Xenograft
This week's Break the Card was based around Xenograft. Thread : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27681049/Break_the_card_:_Xenograft?pg=1 Winner : Axterix with his Vampdrazi deck. Finalist : Vektor480 with his Ally/Golem/Plant deck. Honorable mentions : Zammm for the Turntimber Ranger combo and TinGorilla for suggesting Sarkhan the Mad.
Week 2 : Mindlock Orb
Here's the link to the Mindlock Orb contest : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27697565/Break_the_Card_:_Mindlock_Orb?sdb=1&pg=last#497536269 Winner : Axterix with his Maralen of the Mornsong deck. Honorable mentions : Void_Elemental.
Week 3 : Bludgeon Brawl
Here's the link to Break the Card : Bludgeon Brawl : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27715169/Break_the_Card_:_Bludgeon_Brawl?sdb=1&pg=last#498208797 Winner : Vektor and his Grab the World deck. Finalist : Crandor with his Awesome Aliteration deck. Honorable mentions : RP Jesus with his Wat deck and Zix200 with his Signet Renewal deck.
Week 4 : Followed Footsteps
This week was Followed Footsteps : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27748677/Break_the_Card_:_Followed_Footsteps?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Exponential Growth deck. Honorable mentions : Zix with his Carbon Copies deck and Escef with his Fungus of Speed and Time deck.
Week 5 : Delaying Shield
This week's card was Delaying Shield : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27790101/Break_the_Card_:_Delaying_Shield Winner : Tevish_Szat. Finalist : Vampire_Bat. Honorable Mention : Zix200.
Week 6 : Painter's Servant
This week's card was Painter's Servant : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27940861/Break_the_Card_:_Painters_Servant?pg=1 Winner : Tevish_Szat with his Paint it Black deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his Tiger, Tiger Painted Bright deck.
Week 7 : Venser, the Sojourner
This week's card was Venser, the Sojourner : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27977489/Break_the_Card_:_Venser,_the_Sojourner Winner : Izzett with her "Venser, Trickster Trader" deck. Finalist : Wprundv with his "Tactical Sojourner Action" deck.
Week 8 : Personal Sanctuary
This week's card was Personal Sanctuary : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28005461/Break_the_card_:_Personal_Sanctuary Winner : MrQuizzles. Honorable mention : Vampire_Bat and UbberSheep
Week 9 : Sundial of the Infinite
This week's card was Sundial of the Infinite : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28038277/Break_the_card_:_Sundial_of_the_Infinite Finalist : Izzett with her "Afterlife Trespassers" deck. Winner : Xeromus with his "Fortune 500" deck.
Week 10 : Jace's Archivist
This week's card was Jace's Archivist : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28063377/Break_the_Card_:_Jaces_Archivist. Finalists : Jentaru with his "Consecration of the Draw" deck and HereticSmitty with his "ADHD: The deck" deck. Winner : JaxsonBateman with his "The Archives Are Endless!" deck.
Week 11 : Search the City
This week's card was Search the City : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29518555/Break_the_Card_:_Search_the_City Finalist : Mown with "A Thousand Footsteps". Winner : Desolation_masticore with "Burn the City".
Week 12 : Fiend Hunter
This week's card was Fiend Hunter : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29530975/Break_the_Card_:_Fiend_Hunter Winner : Yuyu63 with "Carnival Hunting". Honorable mention : Dknowle's "Champion the Fiend".
Week 13 : Clock of Omens
This week's card was Clock of Omens : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29541549/Break_the_Card_:_Clock_of_Omens?pg=1 Winner : Dknowle's "The Myrs Go Marching".
Week 14 : Light of Sanction
This week's card was Light of Sanction : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29607219/Break_the_Card_:_Light_of_Sanction?pg=1 Winner : Zauzich's "Divine Plague".
Week 15 : Assemble the Legion
This week's card was Assemble the Legion : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29662307/Break_the_Card_:_Assemble_the_Legion Winner : JBTM's "Some Assembly Required".
Week 16 : High Tide
This week's cards were High Tide and/or Bubbling Muck : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29760427/Break_the_Card_:_High_Tide Winner : Mown's "Puppet Strings".
Week 17 : Illusionist's Bracers
This week's card was Illusionist's Bracers : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29776943/Break_the_Card_:_Illusionistss_Bracers Winner : Enigma256's "Tezzeret's Bracers"
Week 18 : Savor the Moment
This week's card was Savor the Moment : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29787235/Break_the_Card_:_Savor_the_Moment Winner : POSValkir's "A Savory Filibuster!"
Week 19 : Grinning Ignus
This week's card was Grinning Ignus : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29795547/Break_the_Card_:_Grinning_Ignus Winner : dknowle's "Luren' and Laughin'".
Week 20 : Transcendence
This week's card was Transcendence : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29806481/Break_the_Card_:_Transcendence Winners : Mown's "Transcending Timing Restrictions" and Dknowle's "Blinded by Greed", tied for the win.
Week 21 : Mortus Strider
This week's card was Mortus Strider : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29818471/Break_the_Card_:_Mortus_Strider Winner : SimonGlume's "Mortus Head".
Week 22 : High Priest of Penance
This week's card was High Priest of Penance : http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29917231/Break_the_Card_High_Priest_of_Penance Winners : JBTM's "Two Clerics and a Goblin walk into a (Bom)bar(dment)..." and POSValkir1's "Choke Their Rivers with Our Dead!".
Week 23 : False Cure
This week's card was False Cure :http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29964239/Break_the_Card_:_False_Cure Winner : Dknowle's "When Hippos Fly".

Week 24 : Akroan Horse

This week's card was Akroan Horse : http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4024821.

Winner : Dknowle's "Indian Giver".

Week 25 : Leylines

This week saw multiple cards being in the contest : all of the Leylines! http://community.wizards.com/forum/cards-and-combos/threads/4067621

Winner : POSValkir1's "Laying the Battle Lines".

argh sol ring into signet turn 1

Also, you dont have any mana artifacts (sol ring, signets are VERY potent in EDH since there's a rather good chance to see mass land destruction and mana fixing is also important.
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it

Mana rocks are especially potent in a Riku build, where you'll want ready after nearly every spell.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
argh sol ring into signet turn 1

Also, you dont have any mana artifacts (sol ring, signets are VERY potent in EDH since there's a rather good chance to see mass land destruction and mana fixing is also important.


IMX, I'm the only one playing mass land destruction. Because I'm a bastard.

But mana rocks are also very good. Many of them are mana ramp and color fixing all at once.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.


IMX, I'm the only one playing mass land destruction. Because I'm a WINNER.



Fixed!


But yeah, rocks. Especially rocks that  fix colors no matter what we're looking at. Multiple double and triple stuffs can be a pain if you want to be hitting them by 6-8 mana.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.