Gaze of Ruin

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm confused on the gaze of ruin feat in combo with lasting decay feat.
the lasting decay keeps the objects vulnerability until the end of the encounter. Gaze of ruin gives the object vulnerability. If the object is a weapon they get a penalty to attack equal to INT mod. - is this from the vulnerability ?
and if so does lasting decay maintain this attack penalty until the end of the encounter ?
Please try to form complete sentences.

Gaze of Ruin has a lot of parts, but the part that is important here is the vulnerability to all damage.  Lasting Decay only extends that vulnerabilty, not the other effects.

If it makes it easier, just treat Lasting Decay as only effecting the first sentence of Gaze of Ruin. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Which of those sentences was incomplete? He left out a comma or two, but that doesn't affect a sentence's completeness.
I am looking to see how the two feats are linked and if that link is dependent on the vulnerability. The attack penalty bestowed by the gaze of ruin feat implies that it comes from the target item's vulnerability (favor text, turning weapons to rust). If this is the case then the penalty extends until the end of the encounter. Gaze of ruin states the item gains vulnerability and then goes on to say if the item is a weapon or armor... I believe the vulnerability is the actual effect of the feat and the other lines qualify it. I'm not sure on this point.

english major ? or pet peeve
Just hard to read.

The feat doesn't imply anything more.  The Lasting Decay will only effect the first sentence of the ability.  The attack penalty and AC penalty are not effected.

If you want you can try to talk your DM into house-ruling it to be different, but that will not be how the power works normally.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I was afraid of that.
Sometimes it's hard to interpret  these things when you want it to do what you're hoping.
I was afraid of that.
Sometimes it's hard to interperate these things when you want it to do what you're hoping.

Yep, the best thing to do is to either

A) Try to take a step back and not force it into working the way you want it to.

B) Talk to your DM and ask him if it is ok if it works the way you have in your head.

C) A first, then B (Recommended) 
Show