Undying/Persist

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I was to give a creature undying and persist ( say with Mikaeus, the Unhallowed and Cauldron of Souls) would it come back with both counters after death, or would I choose one of them?
I know with having both my creatures would basically live forever, I am just curious if they would always have the same power and toughness or flip flop?
Only one of those triggered abilities can bring the creature back, and will return it with the appropriate counter. The other trigger will do nothing on resolution. So you basically choose one of them.
Also, if you use the Cauldron on a creaure it will not have persist again when it gomes back (regardless of which way you chose). The game sees a new object that was not targeted by the original activation. Without a way to untap the cauldron or remove the +1/+1 counters you could return your  cratures only three times. 
Well my original thought was to use it alternating, just wanted to make sure it was that way.
I have a deck that is built around sacrificing my own creatures (fecundity, Golgari Germination, Pawn of Ulamog,  Deathgreeter, Blood Artist, Death's Presence, Ashnod's Altar, Hell's Caretaker, Doomed Necromancer) this way I could sac a Young wolf, it would come back with undying, I give it persist, it dies, comes back with a neg counter, dies immediately, and comes back with a positive counter. I can kill him two times with one action and still get him back, all the while drawing cards, gaining life, killing players, and making tokens and mana, loving it.

If there was some static effect that gave your creatures persist, It would definitely be in this deck too, unfortunately the only effects that give persist to creatures without restricting number or type of creatures are Cauldron of Souls, and Cauldron Haze
If there was a static effect that gave creatures persist, then that plus any Unleash creature plus an Ashnod's Altar / Phyrexian Altar / Altar of Dementia would be going infinite (or in the case of Dementia, going full-mill).