A new member's introduction, and a new mechanic.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wow... you guys really need a "Welcome to the forums!" area, where new guys can introduce themselves...

Guess this'll have to do.

I'm Haru Takami, or Harkel, either way. I started playing Magic several years ago, but never really got in to the game in all truth. Around two months ago I started actually playing, setting my first real experience with card games (Yu-Gi-Oh!) aside due to horrible format of overpowered, overpriced cards ruling the game. But I'm getting sidetracked.

I started the game, litterally, with a mostly colorless deck. Artifacts, plain and simple. It ran a few choice white and/or blue cards to support them, mostly White lifegain with a little Blue artifact boost (A Grand Architect or two, a few draw cards, and some counter spells). Recently however I've tested many other colors. White is fine by me, Black I can not run for the life of me (outside Golgari builds, I think the green counterbalances it...) red is very strong with me, and blue has issues. But I realized that there was one set of cards that always ran with me, no matter what color I was running.

Artifacts.

I am an Artificer.

And so I noticed; why are there so few cards that actually support artifacts as a whole? Yes, Affinity (Mycosynth Golem in particular) does help, and the Mirrodin blocks (of which I greatly await our return to) did have some decent support in the Metalcraft mechanic, I felt that they need something a little... more.

And so here we are. 

I give you the culmination of a month's on-and-off toils. (I think I may be an Izzet... so scatterbrained...)

"Component" 

The basic idea of component came about while I was attempting to do as I half-described earlier: make artifacts better. It went off into many tangets, such as a philisophical debate with myself as to whether Colorless mana is colorless because it lacks identity, or because we cannot fathom its origin outside of "not being Red, Black, Blue, Green or White." The Eldrazi are a perfect example, something we cannot fathom? Make it colorless!

In all truth though, if a Mountain creates Red mana, and a Swamp creates Black mana, what color mana would a Building create? or a Canyon? (as it is not a plains, or a mountain, being a mountain's exact opposite infact.) Could Colorless have an identity it's own; the only problem being that we just cannot rise high enough above it to see the grand scheme it follows? only able to make out bits and pieces of the grand machine that is Colorless Mana?

Again, I grow sidetracked. This train of thought went on for several hours, culminating in yet another debate as to how the new mechanic dubbed "Component" should work. The idea was that you should benefit from having multiple artifacts, but not in the way that Metalcraft worked. You shouldn't gain from just having them, no. The artifacts should work together, afterall the mechanic is called "Component", meaning that you would combine smaller artifacts to make a larger machine that does more.

This brought me upon the mechanic of Soulbond. While, yes, you can soulbond an Artifact Creature, none of them have Soulbond. And what happened if you could Soulbond an artifact to another artifact? At first I fought this idea, I didn't just want to copy what someone had already done and call it something else. I wanted to create something, as a true Artificer should. And then I remembered the "Level-Up" Creatures, who got stronger and gained new abilities as they grew.

And then it clicked.

What would happen if I had Artifacts that grew bigger the more they were "Assembled" together? Behold! Components! Now the trick was to seperate it from Soulbond. Soulbond could occur when either creature entered the battlefield, either the creature with soulbond, or when a creature without entered while you controlled an unpaired bond. Simple fix, make it so it only assembles when it enters the battlefield. What do they do? Well, there would be a variety of effects, and a variety of requirements to set off their final 'level' of effects. The first card I created however, set the tone for the entire set in my eyes.

It set the idea that, yes, the keyword would be "Component", but it would require a sub-mechanic. And so it became "Component" was the mechanic that gave the ability, but when the artifacts were combined they were 'united', as 'assemble' would just sound akward.

The first card:

Artificer's Workbench

Artifact (R)

Component (When this permanent enters the Battlefield Unite it with another Artifact you control. Artificer's Workbench gains abilities based on the number of Artifacts it is United with.)

[0+] : Add to your Mana Pool, this mana can only be used to cast Colorless Spells, or activate the abilities of Colorless Perminants.

[1+] : Add to your Mana Pool, this mana can only be used to cast Colorless Spells, or activate the abilities of Colorless Perminants. 

[4+] : All Artifacts United with Atificers Workbench gain " : Add to your Mana Pool, this mana can only be used to cast Colorless Spells, or activate the abilities of Colorless Perminants."

The story of every artifact began with an Idea and a Workbench.

The idea was that Colorless itself would gain some hold as a 'color' itself, hence only being able to cast Colorless Spells, or use Colorless Perminant abilities using the mana. This, however means we would need more Colorless instants, sorceries, and enchantments. And so I began to tinker with cards to support Component.

Copper Holding Pin

Artifact (U) 

: Unite Copper Holding Pin with target Artifact.

The lynch-pin to the whole is often just that, a pin.

The idea is simple, and Holding Pin can often be an overlooked card. Why would I pay 3 mana to play an artifact that does next to nothing?

Then they relalize when the artifacts it's uniting with reach their 'level cap', it will gain their abilities as well; ranging from 'tap: add mana' to 'is Indestructable.' which can be rather helpful mid-to-late game.

But this wasn't enough for me. I needed more cards to support the mechanic. More colorless cards. Preferably instants and sorceries. And so I came up with these:

Assembly Line

Sorcery (U)

Unite target Artifact you control with another Target Artifact you control.

Draw a card.

"This is so tedious... putting the samething together again and again... would it be so bad if I did it backwards for once?"
 - Famous last words of Brugglded, Goblin Employee of the Month

Recall

Instant (R)

Return up to three target artifacts to their owner's hands.

You can only spend Colorless Mana to cast this spell.

One Viashino blows their hand off and the whole line's defective. Who would've guessed?

Assembly line allows already in-play artifacts to be united, while recall has a dual if not triple purpose. It allows you to save your artifacts from destruction, counter another artifact-user's strategy, and reset your Components so you may set them up in different combinations.

The limitation of Colorless-only Mana prevents color-heavy decks from running this card, keeping it from becoming too overpowered due to its low mana cost, while still playable in most decks. (EDH/Commander players can get around this by simply running mana producers of a different color than their general's color identity.)

But we are still missing a certain type of card! Enchantments. How do you create a Colorless Enchantment that supports Artifacts?

Multi-Machine

Enchantment (R)

Whenever an Artifact becomes United with another Artifact: You may Draw 1 card.

"I built it to do anything. Turns out it does Everything."
- Harkel  Tu, Grand Artificer

Yes, self-plug, I'm shameless. But look at what it does. It turns Holding pin into a draw card every turn. It tempts the player into uniting as many components as possible to profit off of making their cards bigger.

Unfortunately, that is all I have at the current point in time... well, not everything. I do have one final card but it's just another Component.

Mirrorsteel Plating

Artifact (U)

Component

[1+] Mirrorsteel Plating is Indestructable.

[8+] All Artifacts United with Mirrorsteel Plating have Indestructable.

Think of it as a really slow, really selective Darksteel Forge.

Now this is all I have. Feel free to comment, add your own cards, discuss. I hope in time I'll be able to contribute more to the forum and become an actual member of the community.

Later!

Harkel Tu, Grand Artificer
That is quite impressive for a first post.

Its very self dependent. I'd prefer it to be more like soulbond in that you can join your Components with new artifacts entering the battlefield under your control, even if they aren't components. And how do you eep track of what's joined with what and what isn't? Write it down?

Ooh. I like this one. You should stick around. You seem classy. However, I think your mechanic is a little weird. Or at least, it could be carried out a little more elegantly.

Workbench is way too crowded. Too much text.

Mirrorsteel Plating is much better. Hmmm.

Component (When this permanent enters the Battlefield Unite it with another Artifact you control. Artificer's Workshop gains abilities based on the number of Artifacts it is United with.)

Formating-wise, I'd probably have it be something like this:

Metallic Misery
Artifact
Component (When this permanent enters the Battlefield Unite it with another Artifact you control. Artificer's Workshop gains abilities based on the number of Artifacts it is United with.)
[1] - Metallic Misery gets +1/+1
[3] - Metallic Misery, and each other artifact it is united with get +1/+1.
[6] - Metallic Misery, and each other artifact it is united with get +6/+6.

I wouldn't actually make that card, because it is pretty complicated. I would probably stick with a single Component Activated mechanic, or possibly an X mechanic:

[X] - Metallic Misery, and each other artifact it is untied with get +X/+X

though at that point I'd increase the original cost, but yeah. That's my two cents I guess.

Welcome to the forum.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Piecework Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem
Component
~ gets +1/+1 for each artifact united with it.

3/3

Neat idea. Welcome to the Forums! 

Its very self dependent. I'd prefer it to be more like soulbond in that you can join your Components with new artifacts entering the battlefield under your control, even if they aren't components. And how do you eep track of what's joined with what and what isn't? Write it down?

As explained, Soulbond is one of the mechanics that helped shape Component into what it is. And it isn't restricted to just cards with Component. If I wanted to I could play a Darksteel Citadel, tap for my workbench, and Unite workbench with Citadel. Oh, hey, Workbench now taps for 3 mana on turn 1, eventually Citadel will tap for 3 as well.

You can also Unite your Components with Artifact Creatures. As long as it's an artifact.

And while keeping track of what's united with what might be tricky, I feel it's a pretty Johnny mechanic, no?

Ooh. I like this one. You should stick around. You seem classy. However, I think your mechanic is a little weird. Or at least, it could be carried out a little more elegantly.

Workbench is way too crowded. Too much text.

Mirrorsteel Plating is much better. Hmmm.

Component (When this permanent enters the Battlefield Unite it with another Artifact you control. Artificer's Workbench gains abilities based on the number of Artifacts it is United with.)

Formating-wise, I'd probably have it be something like this:

Metallic Misery
Artifact
[1] - Metallic Misery gets +1/+1
[3] - Metallic Misery, and each other artifact it is united with get +1/+1.
[6] - Metallic Misery, and each other artifact it is united with get +6/+6.

I wouldn't actually make that card, because it is pretty complicated. I would probably stick with a single Component Activated mechanic, or possibly an X mechanic:

[X] - Metallic Misery, and each other artifact it is untied with get +X/+X

though at that point I'd increase the original cost, but yeah. That's my two cents I guess.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome and the wording advice, I was still a little shaky on how to word it. (Finally just got the full effect worked out around... 6:00 this morning while I was at work) However, I feel the whole 'level-up' effect is what really seperates it from other similar mechanics like... well, level-up and soulbond.

I wanted to do an effect where the machines get bigger the more components you add, which is kind of what this accomplishes, true?

Also: Classy? Me? Hmm... first time hearing that one... Thank you!=3 
I don't think this mechanic as presented would appear on commons.

(but then, not all mechanics have to appear at common.)

I also think it should have a way to unite with other artifacts after ETBing so the abilities that work with more than one united artifact make sense.
The thing is, the way its worded, you will rarely get more than a couple things united at once. It should be more like:

Component (When this permanent enters the battlefield, unite it with an artifact you control. whenever another artifact enters the battlefield, you may unite it with ~. They remain united as long as each remains on the battlefield.) The last stuff isn't needed in the remajnder text really.
Maybe, again, I just got this mechanic chiseled out this morning, I have yet to carve out the details on it and all tips are appreciated.

Originally the idea was just to make one really big machine using the Component mechanic (more than likely holding pin, since it can unite with another artifact once a turn for 2 mana). This was also to avoid becoming a duplicate of the Soulbond mechanic, but for Artifacts instead of Creatures.

I can see the appeal of both, either one large machine, or several machines that do different things.

More than likely there will be ones that gain completely different effects when they Unite with other artifacts (say, when one is united with 1 it gains " : add ", but when it's united with 3 it becomes a 2/2 Construct Artifact Creature, or even the other way around with a boosted mana output.) In all truth this mechanic can go a bunch of different ways. It can even be put on Artifact Creatures and give them bonuses.

Prototype Simulacrum
Artifact Creature - Construct (C)

Component

[1+] Prototype Simulacrum gains +1/+1
[3+] Sacrifice Prototype Simulacrum: Add 1 Artifact with Converted Mana Costs 1 or less from your Library to your hand.

0/1 

Something like that. But yeah... maybe make Component a bit like Soulbond for Artifacts in general... (The fact you can Unite with Artifact Lands is a bit of a plus though, no?)
I agree with Chaos that the way its worded it will be difficult to unite multiple artifacts. While rewording it would make it more capable, you could also support it with other abilities that unite artifacts. You could even expand this outside of colorless making colored artificers and such. For instance:

Constructor 
Artifact
: Unite target artifact you control with another target artifact you control.
~ becomes a 3/3 artifact creature until end of turn.

Goblin Tinker 
Creature - Goblin Artificer
Haste
Unite a random artifact you control with another random artifact you control.
And the thingymabob attaches to the doo hickey. - Goblin Tinker Song
1/1

Just an idea. Oh and one question. If artifact A is united with artifact B, and artifact C is united with artifact B, does that mean artifact A count as being united with artifact C? Hope that makes sense.
Since there's no set limit on how many artifacts you can unite together, and many of them seem to get better the more things you unite them with, it seems like a large part of playing this mechanic will be finding clever ways to manipulate enter-the-battlefield triggers to get one giant artifact blob all assembled together.  At that point, you're basically just counting artifacts you control...

I think it makes more sense to either limit components to a single, simple pair, like Soulbond, or to ignore all limitations and simply assume that all Components are automatically united together with all other Components.  I feel that the current version places too much emphasis on trickery to optimize your cards rather than inter-card synergy and broader tactics.  

Tricks like flickering artifacts can be a good expert-level tactic for more advanced players, but they shouldn't be a required part of playing the cards effectively.  Any new player can take a few Soulbond creatures and get them to do what they're supposed to do right out of the box.  You play a creature, then play another creature and POW your guys both have Haste!  An artifact that promises a cool effect when it's linked with five other artifacts is going to be frustrating if you need to play them in the right order or with some other enabling artifact to actually achieve what the card promises.  (Advanced combos to bring out hidden abilities in cards are fine, but the abilities that are written directly on the card shouldn't be obscure or elaborate to do.  Difficult, sure.  Confusing, no)
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
I agree with Chaos that the way its worded it will be difficult to unite multiple artifacts. While rewording it would make it more capable, you could also support it with other abilities that unite artifacts. You could even expand this outside of colorless making colored artificers and such. For instance:

Constructor 
Artifact
: Unite target artifact you control with another target artifact you control.
~ becomes a 3/3 artifact creature until end of turn.

Goblin Tinker 
Creature - Goblin Artificer
Haste
Unite a random artifact you control with another random artifact you control.
And the thingymabob attaches to the doo hickey. - Goblin Tinker Song
1/1

Just an idea. Oh and one question. If artifact A is united with artifact B, and artifact C is united with artifact B, does that mean artifact A count as being united with artifact C? Hope that makes sense.

There are/are going to be a few support cards that Unite artifacts (Assembly Line being one already) or allow themselves to Unite to artifacts themselves (Copper Holding Pin) to speed up/profit from Components.

Constructor is a nice idea, maybe a few more cards like that would work towards the total scheme of it.

The idea of Colored Artificers did cross my mind, as the inspiration for the restrictions on Workbench's mana production was inspired by Grand Architect, tap a blue for but it can only be used on artifacts and artifact abilities. Maybe a few choice artificers would work, but not many, and only Artifacts get Component. Colored Artifacts are nice, but a little tricky to use at times. (With the exception of the Souleaters for the Phyrexian mana symbols)

And to answer your question, if A is united to B, and B is united to C, C is not United to A. Example:

A - Artificer's Workbench

B - Darksteel Citadel

C - Prototype Simulacrum

Your workbench is united to Citadel when you play it. You also unite Prototype to Citadel when it enters. Neither are united to eachother, but both are united to Citadel. 

I can go on for pages with possible combos with current and later cards, but these are the possible targets for Component:

Artifacts

Artifact Creatures

Artifact Lands

Artifact Enchantments (there is an Artifact that comes into play as a copy of any Permanant, but is an Artifact in addtion to its other card types, meaning it could be an Artifact Enchantment.)

All of these would allow the Component mechanic to 'upgrade' itself.

Infact, how about this:

Clear Crystal Fields

Artifact Land

Component 

[0+] : Add to your Mana Pool.
[4+]   :  Add target Artifact with Converted Mana Cost X from your Graveyard to your hand.

So many colors of Mana the mind simply cannot comprehend them; and they blur into a blinding nothingness.

Playing off my earlier thoughts on the extended philosophy of Colorless mana. Wrap your mind around it a bit, Lol. 
However, I think your mechanic is a little weird.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Having uniting be non-transitive does solve the "one big ball" problem Fallingman mentioned--if things united with artifact A won't be united with  other things also united with A, then the optimal solution isn't a ball. But non-transitivity raises its own problem: your terminology is counterintuitive, since the word "united" is implicitly transitive.

To solve that problem, why not just use existing terminology: have Components "attach" to other artifacts. Attach isn't a transitive term, and you can take advantage of the fact that there's already rules for attaching things. And also on the rules front, try having Component be an artifact type instead of an ability. It doesn't change the functionality, but it makes the rules easier to write and allows cleaner referencing. (You can refer to them as Components rather than as "artifacts with Component".)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

1:  Welcome to the boards!
2:  This is a cool mechanic.
3:  Artificer's workbench is completely broken.
4:  Never listen to anything posted by gm_champion/bankaimastery.  They're the same person.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
@ Zammm: I had considered putting it as "Artifact - Component" and "Artifact Creature - Component" (And possibly "Artifact Land - Component") but I was really hoping for component to be a keyword mechanic... just making it Attach like any equipment would just be doing something that's already been done. It does kind of reduce the effectiveness, but in all truth it's actually a bit more strategic as it is now. It forces you to choose which ones become bigger, choosing how your machines will grow more complex as the match goes on. Are you going to go for a bunch of smaller effects, but protect them by making them indestructable via Mirrorsteel Plating? Or are you going to go for big, game-winning effects through the Mana Ramp provided by Workbench? (I've honestly worked out how to go turn 3 Blightsteel, turn 4 Emakrul using Workbench as a lynchpin)

Unless you're talking about Component becoming literally another artifact Type, like Equipment is. Which would be a whole 'nother step on the ladder of card creation which I just don't feel strong enough in my grasp of game mechanics to create. Creating keywords? Fine. Creating another entire type of Artifact card? Well... in all truth I just don't feel quite ready for that step just yet.

@ Cato: Thank you! Glad to be welcomed! I'm glad you like the mechanic, and yes, Workbench is a bit Overpowered. I got the original inspiration from Sol Ring and just went "Y'know what? If I put a restriction on the mana I bet I could let it make more!" And here we have my workbench.

And thanks for the words of warning. I'm guessing GM is a bit of a troll? If so I have some experience dealing with those. (*CoughBryanBherellOnYugiohForumsCoughCough*)

And, because I felt that the set needed something... a Planeswalker that is so specific it would probably never be produced!

Harkel Tu, Grand Artificer

Planeswalker - Harkel (M)

<+2> Unite target Artifact you control with another target Artifact you control.
<-3> Reveal the top five cards of your Library and choose 1 Artifact among them: Put it onto the Battlefield Tapped.
<-8> Unite all artifacts you control with target Artifact. 

[4]

Because I love Colorless, and we need another Colorless Planeswalker besides Karn. Seriously.

And on another note: while it may seem completely out there, one of the main things about all this was that I wanted to try and make a Colorless Plane. A plane that only produced mana that was not a part of the Color Pie. (and would thus be consiered 'Colorless' by definition of not being or ) a 3-set block would detail how the five 'core' colors cannot be withheld from a plane for long before it begins to collapse, and how it leaks in through the cracks and takes footholds in the plane, Causing all sorts of chaos for Harkel, the plane's creator (Hey, Karn created Mirrodin because he wanted a world of metal. Who's to say someone can't create a colorless plane?)

Harkel's Research Notes

Artifact

Each time a Spell is cast using only Colorless Mana: Gain 3 Life. 

"A Spectrum is a variety of colors... So why are there only five types of mana? Unless..."
- Harkel Tu, Grand Artificer

(Yes, a shameless self-plug, but who knows? Maybe I'm digging into territory that shouldn't be explored? Maybe I'm slipping into the realm of "Eldrazi Mana" as my Fiance so aptly dubbed it. If so... is it possible that Colorless Mana is colorless because we just can't understand where it comes from?) 
I'm not a troll, I'm just too nice. That's got to be my real problem.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

@ Zammm: I had considered putting it as "Artifact - Component" and "Artifact Creature - Component" (And possibly "Artifact Land - Component") but I was really hoping for component to be a keyword mechanic... just making it Attach like any equipment would just be doing something that's already been done. It does kind of reduce the effectiveness, but in all truth it's actually a bit more strategic as it is now. It forces you to choose which ones become bigger, choosing how your machines will grow more complex as the match goes on. Are you going to go for a bunch of smaller effects, but protect them by making them indestructable via Mirrorsteel Plating? Or are you going to go for big, game-winning effects through the Mana Ramp provided by Workbench? (I've honestly worked out how to go turn 3 Blightsteel, turn 4 Emakrul using Workbench as a lynchpin)

From your post it sounds like you believe I was saying that "unite" should be a transitive keyword, but that wasn't the intent--my point was that the English word has transitive connotations, so it's a poor word choice for a nontransitive mechanic.

As for using "attach"--Mark Rosewater (Magic's Head Designer) apparently has a saying: "Before looking outside the box, make sure you look inside the box first." There's no need to go to the trouble of building everything from scratch if you can achieve your aim using existing techniques and terminology.

Unless you're talking about Component becoming literally another artifact Type, like Equipment is. Which would be a whole 'nother step on the ladder of card creation which I just don't feel strong enough in my grasp of game mechanics to create. Creating keywords? Fine. Creating another entire type of Artifact card? Well... in all truth I just don't feel quite ready for that step just yet.

There's nothing special about creating a type as opposed to a keyword--just figure out how you want your type to work, and then say "that's how this type of cards works", exactly the same way you do with a keyword. Other folks can help refine the idea if there's any problems, again just as they would with a keyword.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Well, he acts like a troll, but I'm not sure he does it on purpose...

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

As explained, Soulbond is one of the mechanics that helped shape Component into what it is. And it isn't restricted to just cards with Component. If I wanted to I could play a Darksteel Citadel, tap for my workbench, and Unite workbench with Citadel. Oh, hey, Workbench now taps for 3 mana on turn 1, eventually Citadel will tap for 3 as well.

You can also Unite your Components with Artifact Creatures. As long as it's an artifact.

And while keeping track of what's united with what might be tricky, I feel it's a pretty Johnny mechanic, no?

What I meant was, you are limited to joining once unless you run, draw, and then play another Component to join with the first. So most of the Components don't do anything against the prescribed "Component Deck".