DLCR: Urban Burgeoning

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays final RtR card to rate is...

Urban Burgeoning

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is a piece of garbage.  One of the worst cards in the set easily.

Discuss! 
0 for sure. I don't think anything more needs to be said.
Am I the only person who has ever used this and Underworld connections on the same land before?
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
0. total trash. I wouldn't play it even if I had four underworld connections and was in gorgari. In its dream scenario, it's still useless.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
0. total trash. I wouldn't play it even if I had four underworld connections and was in gorgari. In its dream scenario, it's still useless.

How is that useless?

You don't think drawing 3 cards a turn is useful????
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
At my store we started putting up all the Urban Burgeoning boots on a tac board.

I will never take this card outside of last pick.

How is that useless?

You don't think drawing 3 cards a turn is useful????

You're taking it out of context. You have to play a completely worthless card to make that work. It is better to thin your deck of trash than trying to pull of a pretty unnecessary card combo. 

I pick lands over these because I know I'll at least play those.  
I am always baffled when I see opponents playing these. It almost feels like it should say "Draw a card when Urban Burgeoning comes into play"
. I'd have to be pretty pressed on playables to take up a slot with this even if I was playing Underworld Connections.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
. I'd have to be pretty pressed on playables to take up a slot with this even if I was playing Underworld Connections.

To be fair, if I were lucky enough to pull two Underworld Connection, I might just put it in for giggles.  Gotta admit, the concept of drawing tons of cards each turn is... enticing and it would pay for itself quickly enough.

Still, I probably wouldn't even in that situation.  Underworld Connections does enough by itself methinks.

That's how it came about for me, I had to choose between the Burgeoning and a Oak Street Innkeeper (or whatever its called). I usually would take a creature here, but the deck was pretty solid and I considered the underworld connections.

In reality it became autowin whenever I got both cards. On turn four I was drawing three cards and then spend a few turns playing out my hand, then refill. It was WAY too powerful for my opponents to handle. I even got to use the land for a Giant Growth when it untapped on my opponent's turn.

I still think the card sucks. I'm just saying I found a chance to use it and it paid off in incredible fashion.

I am always baffled when I see opponents playing these. It almost feels like it should say "Draw a card when Urban Burgeoning comes into play"

That would have made it marginally playable.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

That's how it came about for me, I had to choose between the Burgeoning and a Oak Street Innkeeper (or whatever its called). I usually would take a creature here, but the deck was pretty solid and I considered the underworld connections.

In reality it became autowin whenever I got both cards. On turn four I was drawing three cards and then spend a few turns playing out my hand, then refill. It was WAY too powerful for my opponents to handle. I even got to use the land for a Giant Growth when it untapped on my opponent's turn.

I still think the card sucks. I'm just saying I found a chance to use it and it paid off in incredible fashion.

I think this should mainly be affecting your opinion on Underworld Connections, and not on this.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!

I think this should mainly be affecting your opinion on Underworld Connections, and not on this.

I'm trying to see if each card can win under the right circumstances, and there were two games I wouldn't have won without this card! Strange to say, but just because I think a card is terrible, doesn't mean I don't continue to consider it as my pool starts coming together. I never reject a card out of hand. This card proves it does have a place and in similar situations I'll run it again.

I agree that having an open mind towards cards that are "blank" normally is constructive. And with Underworld Connections, I think I'd play this over Innkeeper too. I don't like "I couldn't have won without this card!" statements - an Underworld Connections normally win most games on its own and I can't think of a game where you got to use it (with this card) where a chump-blocker wouldn't have been just as good happening twice in the same tournament. These are edge cases and basing your evaluation of the card on it too heavily will lead you to make bad decisions.

Playing this over Innkeeper is fine, but playing it over even something like Catacomb Slug is probably over-evaluating it.
Urza's you're just being results oriented, that's all. It's makes for bad magic when you're reactionary like that. Just because a bad card had it's use once for you doesn't mean that it is good. 
Urza's you're just being results oriented, that's all. It's makes for bad magic when you're reactionary like that. Just because a bad card had it's use once for you doesn't mean that it is good. 

You don't  read before you post very often...I rated the card 0.5

Sometimes siding the card in is still wrong. 
Sometimes siding the card in is still wrong. 

and sometimes its not...like the example I gave.

But feel free to backtrack whenever someone points out your errors.

lol, you got it. You're actually just 100% wrong. Please prove that you're not being results oriented and then I'll concede. Until then you're wrong. This card is a 0. It is actually completely unplayable regardless of what you think. 
I wouldn't bring this in just for the combo with underworld connections.  It does like nothing when you don't hit the combo, and even when you do, I just feel like you would have won most of those games with just connections.  I'd honestly rather run another land.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
lol, you got it. You're actually just 100% wrong. Please prove that you're not being results oriented and then I'll concede. Until then you're wrong. This card is a 0. It is actually completely unplayable regardless of what you think. 

You can think what you like. I proved you wrong. There are situations where this card is useful. You don't get to deciede for all of us what the card ratings are. I've seen some dubious ratings from you in the past. I could care less if you think this is 0.0. I will run it in similar situations again and feel comfortable.

I wouldn't bring this in just for the combo with underworld connections.  It does like nothing when you don't hit the combo, and even when you do, I just feel like you would have won most of those games with just connections.  I'd honestly rather run another land.

Actually I didn't hit the combo and then tapped out for a creature on my turn and then on my opponents turn played a key giant growth.

Later in the same game I did something similar where I used all but one mana and then cast savage surge. The Oak street inn keeper wasn't going to come in that handy, that card was excellent. Then as said before it provided me a third card one turn that DIRECTLY kept me alive. If I only had the connections I would have lost, then 4 turns later it saved me AGAIN, with a third draw!

BUT, the big but, this was a narrow situation. I had the connections, I was in Golgari and I was happy with my build.

It's not out of the question for me to give this a 0.5 especially because after it saved my butt DIRECTLY in three games of one tourney.

You can think what you like. I proved you wrong. There are situations where this card is useful. You don't get to deciede for all of us what the card ratings are. I've seen some dubious ratings from you in the past. I could care less if you think this is 0.0. I will run it in similar situations again and feel comfortable.

No, you're still wrong. I would gladly play against you playing this piece of feces because it means your deck has been dilluted with garbage.

You have a singular use for a bad card. You're being results oriented. You still haven't proven how the card is good even as your rating of a sideboard option. You shouldn't play bad cards even if a bad card worked for you once. It's bad practice and the wrong way to look at deck construction. Do you board in/side out lands after you get mana flooded/screwed? It's the same idea. You play the right amount of lands because over the course of playing magic you'll have the right amounts and then variance will time to time screw you. It's the same with only playing good magic cards. If you play crappy ones over a long period of time they will be bad for you. Your small amount of anecdotal evidence to this card being useful is wrong. 

No, you're still wrong. I would gladly play against you playing this piece of feces because it means your deck has been dilluted with garbage.

You have a singular use for a bad card. You're being results oriented. You still haven't proven how the card is good even as your rating of a sideboard option. You shouldn't play bad cards even if a bad card worked for you once. It's bad practice and the wrong way to look at deck construction. Do you board in/side out lands after you get mana flooded/screwed? It's the same idea. You play the right amount of lands because over the course of playing magic you'll have the right amounts and then variance will time to time screw you. It's the same with only playing good magic cards. If you play crappy ones over a long period of time they will be bad for you. Your small amount of anecdotal evidence to this card being useful is wrong. 

You can't possibly be this dense. No one could be. A 0.0 means you would never play it under ANY circumstances. I HAVE played it, to strong effect. Therefore saying I wouldn't play it under any circumstance would be false. My evidence does PROVE that it's a 0.5 I only need to provide one situation where it was picked and played successfully. I did that. But you refuse to ever acknowledge other people's plays or ideas because you're so narrow in your thinking. For the last time, it wasn't only used for Underworld connections, UC was one of several reasons that I CONSIDERED playing this card. The others being I had plenty of creatures, plenty of lands and no spells to add in color. It had a chance to make an impact because I had many instances in this deck that might be useful.

As I already stated it was cast during three games. In each of those games it was KEY in delivering a win. Providing necassary mana for two combat tricks and providing a third card for winning effect several times.

It's extremely rare that I would play this, but for one, I'm happy that I was able to see through the stigma WE all attached to this card and I helped it to be viable and win FNM. I'm happy to say I went 4-0 with a deck consisting of a few common combat tricks and an Underworld Connections I only drew in 4/10 games.

Again, it really doesn't matter what you think. I used the card and it worked...end of story. Will I use it ever again? Who knows, maybe not.
But I wouldn't have won if I had been drawing the Inn Keeper I know that.

It's too bad you can't see when a card's value rises because of what's around it in the deck.

You probably only win when you have bomb rares. I'm 1/1 with this card and happy for it.

Actually, you're the one who doesn't understand. You shouldn't play this card under any circumstances and just because you made this card relevant one time does not make it good in any sense. This card is universally bad. This card is worse than playing a land, always. 

So, based on a small sample size at an FNM gives you the ability to judge that this card isn't worthless. You still haven't answered me about how your "evidence" about this card isn't results based. 

Also, as previously stated in this thread, it says more about the power level of Underworld Connections than urban feces. There isn't a "stigma" attached to his card. It's bad because it's bad. A polished turd is still a turd no matter how much you shine it. 

I love the ad hominem. The difference is that I will call you a trash player to your face rather than petty jabs. If you think this card is playable in any sense, you're bad at magic.  
Preface: I can't really do math worth a damn, so please feel free to correct me here.

So, we all agree that this card does absolutely nothing when you don't have underworld connections in play. The question is, assuming we have 1 underworld connections and 1 urban feces (I lol'ed irl) in our deck, what are the odds we draw both? and when?

The earliest we can assemble the combo is turn three(activating for the first time on turn 4). Giving ourselves the benefit of the doubt, let's assume we are on the draw. If so, we have seen 10 cards(7 opener plus 3 draw steps) of 40, or .25 of our deck.

.25 is our chance of drawing each respective combo piece by turn 3.

.25*.25 = .063, the odds we have assembled the combo on turn 3 on the draw.
.275*.275 = .076, the odds on turn 4
.3*.3 = .090, the odds on turn 5
.325*.325 = .106, the odds on turn 6
.35*.35 = .123, the odds on turn 7
.375*.375 = .141, the odds on turn 8

Additional disclaimer: Yes I know that you can't draw both cards in the same draw step. I don't know how that affects the numbers so I have chosen to ignore it.

Now we have reached the average length of an RTR game. Beyond this, I don't see how drawing our combo would be relevant.

If we saturate our deck with urban feces, to the point where we always have 1 in hand, our odds of assembling the combo are still only .25 on turn 3 and .375 on turn 8.

Is a 6%-14% chance of assembling the combo worth the large majority of the times when urban burgeoning is a virtual mulligan? I'm not even considering the life and mana payments it takes to use underworld, and how much easier it makes the opponent's task of killing us.

You also need to consider that often, you'd be winning off connections whether you draw burgeoning or not.

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
Both sides are being a little extreme here, I feel. I definitely get the point against this card ever being playable, though I think it's overstated. I think playing this over an Oak Street Innkeeper in a deck that has Underworld Connections as well as cheap pump spells at instant speed is reasonable, if unattractive.

However, that should not be considered proof that the card is even remotely playable in the vast majority of situations, and I feel that UA is overstating its case. Let us be perfectly clear here: Casting a Giant Growth and a Savage Surge off this is not enough to make it worth more than playing a basic land which could have accomplished the same thing and more to boot. Making a case for the card on the basis of those situations is weakening, not strengthening your case.

The card is very, very bad and evaluating it beneficially (yes, I consider .5 to be "too much" for this card) is like ranking Search the City higher than 0 because you've had a deck that had 6 Doorkeepers, 8 Hover Barriers and 8 Downsizes in addition to it. It's an extreme case which does very little to illuminate the card's general utility. The point of these rankings is that they are generalized and should serve as rules of thumb. It's not atrocious to rate this .5, but it's too generous.
Both sides are being a little extreme here, I feel. I definitely get the point against this card ever being playable, though I think it's overstated. I think playing this over an Oak Street Innkeeper in a deck that has Underworld Connections as well as cheap pump spells at instant speed is reasonable, if unattractive.

You're not playing this over oak street innkeeper, you're playing this over a basic land.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Well I'm obviously not bad at magic so I guess shadowchu is just a liar. and since I have played this successfully I can't rate it as 0.0 sorry if you don't agree BuT this forum is for discussion I really don't care if everyone in the world thinks it's 0.0

it isn't. Open and shut case. 4-0 FNM usually 3-1 if not better every week, if you don't think that's good enough I could care less.
hash tag appeal to authority

And really, your fnm records make you a good magic player? lol.  
Discussion involves considering the case of the person you are discussing with. This does not seem to be a popular activity in this thread.
I'll yield the floor to Lobster as this is only supposed to give other people ideas on a card's relative value.

If people want to say a card is unplayable in all cases for them, fine.

Sign In to post comments