Spindown dice and booster boxes

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
One thing has always confused me about Magic cards. Why is it when you buy a booster box ($120) you don't get a spindown dice, yet when you buy a fatpack you do?

You are giving Wizards more money, and yet don't get something that comes when you spend less money.  If anything, it seems like the spindowns should come with booster boxes instead of fatpacks.

As far as I can tell, the primary purpose of the booster box is as a package of 36 boosters, which are then resold individually. On the other hand, you have the fatpack which is a box of stuff that's not meant to be taken apart for reselling.

L1 Judge

A booster box should cost less than 36 individual booster packs.

A fat pack (at least here in Thailand) costs more than 9 individual booster packs, because it has the 'extra stuff'.

Cheers  
The most important question about the D20s packaged in Fat Packs is... Why in the hundred-year f**k of the Seven Elder Gods is the life counter for RtR not made of the same gorgeous blue or purple that the boosters and boxes are? Really, Wizards? A generic green with faint white speckles? So very lame.
To whom it may concern: it's getting really old, being unable to see the top half of anything autocarded in the first post of each thread. Fixplz,kthx.
Fat pack spindowns come in a range of colors. Other fatpacks will have other colors.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I've cracked 4 boxes of RtR. I've gotten valuables far surpassing that of a single D20.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
And while we're on the subject, why doesn't each booster box come with sleeves? Really, Wizards of the Coast? You don't think that someone buying that many cards at a time would want some sleeves to go with their cards? Greedy jerks.
Guess im fine with boxes as is.  Get a price break for buying bulk, and you get a super awsome chance for a nigt of limited fun with your friends.  if i were to ask for any change it might be that te desplay box be redesigned to be sturdier and with a minor shape change so it could be used as a card storage or deck box would be nice...... but honestly i would buy boxes either way
:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Seriously though, why doesn't every box come with a JaceTMS.  I mean, if we're buying that many boosters we obviously love MTG and thus JTMS, so why shouldn't we just get what we were after in the first place?

Also, booster cases should come with a PTQ blue envelope, because only a dedicated player (i.e. deserves to win the PTQ) buys cases.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Trust me: after the 20th spindown dice, it's not as big a deal.

Seriously though, why doesn't every box come with a JaceTMS. 

They do. I just have speedy ninjas replace them with Jank. 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

The most important question about the D20s packaged in Fat Packs is... Why in the hundred-year f**k of the Seven Elder Gods is the life counter for RtR not made of the same gorgeous blue or purple that the boosters and boxes are? Really, Wizards? A generic green with faint white speckles? So very lame.

I'm pretty sure they generally go with white, blue, black, red, or green (picked randomly) in fat packs or event decks. With things like FTV, they can be other colors.

I would've liked two-color ones.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I stopped buying fat packs after Dark Ascension because I realized that 1) I already have more spin-downs than I need, 2) I don't care about anything else IN a fat pack but the boosters. I used to like everything about the fat pack... I thought the card catalog was awesome until I realized there's a Card Image Gallery for every set on the Wizards site. I thought the deck boxes were awesome until I started using sleeves and realized they're useless for sleeved decks. The only thing of any value for me remaining besides the boosters themselves are the card boxes, and I already have more than enough of those as well. Most of them are sitting empty and collecting dust in my attic.

It's all about the boxes now, baby. Well, no, it's all about singles. But I still get at least one box for each set. 
Don't booster boxes generally come with buy a box card?
Don't booster boxes generally come with buy a box card?

Only if bought from a brick and mortar store and only for a limited time (while supplies last).

Buying from B&M stores is more expensive than the internet, too.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Since no one has mentioned this, each RTR fat pack come with a random two color spin down die based on the one of the 5 guilds from RTR.
The guild pre-release packs also came (and will come) with a spindown in the colors of the chosen guild.

Brick and mortar stores do tend to mark up the booster box prices, but it is possible to find places that sell them at online or near-wholesale rates. You may have to travel farther to get them though. 
I stopped buying fat packs after Dark Ascension because I realized that 1) I already have more spin-downs than I need, 2) I don't care about anything else IN a fat pack but the boosters. I used to like everything about the fat pack... I thought the card catalog was awesome until I realized there's a Card Image Gallery for every set on the Wizards site. I thought the deck boxes were awesome until I started using sleeves and realized they're useless for sleeved decks. The only thing of any value for me remaining besides the boosters themselves are the card boxes, and I already have more than enough of those as well. Most of them are sitting empty and collecting dust in my attic.

It's all about the boxes now, baby. Well, no, it's all about singles. But I still get at least one box for each set. 

Ravnica Spindowns come in 5 awesome color combos! Can you guess what they are and why they picked them?

Greeen/White
White/Blue
Black/Red
Red/Blue
Black/Green

Most sets do come randomly though, but RtR is special!
I also really like the gold ones that came with Alara Reborn (the gold set).
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Booster boxes, though commonly bought by players, are intended to be opened by retailers and sold pack by pack.  Retailers don't care about a spindown die and likely don't want them popping out of every box they put on display.  Plus, adding them to the packaging would create a ton of wasted space and the potential for damage to the cards in transit.

Fat packs, on the other hand, are intended to be sold to players, so they come with extras that players might want.
Then we have those crazy idiots like me who only buy fat packs for the basic lands, whatever other stuff thats in there is just a bonus. :P Just because there are no basic lands in a booster box i have never considered buying one.
Then we have those crazy idiots like me who only buy fat packs for the basic lands, whatever other stuff thats in there is just a bonus. :P Just because there are no basic lands in a booster box i have never considered buying one.

There are 36 non-foil basic lands in each booster box. There might be more basics if you get some foils. 
Indeed. Just think of how many are in a vase!

#presleevingbasicsforlimited #winning
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.