Question on Thatcher Revolt.

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
My question is if my opponent casts Thatcher Revolt and attacks with them do they die on his next turns end step; which would allow for him to attack with them two turns or this turns end step?
The tokens are sacrificed at the beginning of the next end step to occur. Given that Thatcher Revolt is a sorcery that means it'll usually be during the turn on which they're created, but there are ways of casting the spell such that they're sacrificed on your opponents turn (ie. ending the turn prior to the end step with something like Sundial of the Infinite, or casting the spell during your opponents turn thanks to something like Leyline of Anticipation).
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I had  Thatcher Revolt  used on me today and my opponent attacked the turn they came into play and on his next turn attacked again with them then they died. So you are saying he they werent suppose to be around to attack me tw of his turns?
Again, they're sacrificed at the beginning of the next end step to occur. If your opponent cast them before his combat phase, attacked with them, and actually hit an end step (as you normally would in a turn), he'd have to sacrifice them at that point. So unless there were some other shenanigans involved - like the aforementioned Sundial of the Infinite (which, incidentally, could allow the tokens to stay permanently if you ended the turn with the sac trigger on the stack), then your opponent should have sacrificed them on the turn they cast the spell.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Failure to think mechanically. People thinking "sacrifice ... at the beginning of the next end step" means the end step of either their opponent's upcoming turn or their own next turn is the problem. They think that if they were meant to sac them on the same turn it was cast that it would say "at the beginning of this end step", which does not appear on any Magic card. I had a friend that thought the text on the 4th Edition Ball Lightning where it said, "At the end of any turn, bury Ball Lightning," meant that at the end of any turn where he felt it was convenient he could sac the creature , or not.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

I guess they need to reword the text then so there is no confusion. Unless they think people understand that "next" means the very next end step that comes up. They could add the word "that comes up" to the end of that so there is no confusion at all maybe?
I guess they need to reword the text then so there is no confusion. Unless they think people understand that "next" means the very next end step that comes up. They could add the word "that comes up" to the end of that so there is no confusion at all maybe?

No, the confusion arises because people try to play word games.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

When the end step is pretty obviously the one from the same turn they will say "at the beginning of the end step"
eg. Ball Lightning

However, when it's not as obvious, they use "at the beginning of the next end step"
eg. Rakdos Guildmage

They are functionally equivalent. 
The reason they use different wordings is because typically you'll play Ball Lightning and its usually going to enter the field before the end step whereas with Guildmage you could reasonably use it before or after the beginning of the end step.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

When the end step is pretty obviously the one from the same turn they will say "at the beginning of the end step"
eg. Ball Lightning

However, when it's not as obvious, they use "at the beginning of the next end step"
eg. Rakdos Guildmage

They are functionally equivalent. 
The reason they use different wordings is because typically you'll play Ball Lightning and its usually going to enter the field before the end step whereas with Guildmage you could reasonably use it before or after the beginning of the end step.

Isn't another difference that Ball Lightning will trigger at every end step and Rakdos Guildmage will only trigger once at the next end step?  In other words, if you Stifle the trigger for Rakdos, you will keep it and it won't trigger again.  If you Stifle the tirgger for the Ball, it will trigger on the next turn's end step and you will lose it then. Right?
yes, but that's because one is an ability on the permanent while the other is a delayed trigger created by the resolving activated ability.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

There are three templates:
At the beginning of the next end step is used on delayed triggered abilities. They'll only ever trigger once, because that's how delayed triggered abilities work.
At the beginning of the end step is used on triggered abilities of permanents that are only expected to resolve once (generally because the resolution of the ability would remove the permanent from the battlefield).
At the beginning of each end step is used on triggered abilities of permanent that are expected to resolve repeatedly.
So then "At the beggining of the next end step" for Thatcher Revolt means they die at the end of my opponents turn right, since his end step comes up during his turn and that is the next one to come up correct?

That's not likely to be the next end step to come up. If you cast Thatcher Revolt, a sorcery, during your main phase when the stack is empty (ie. usual sorcery casting time), and there are no other shenanigans in play (ie. Sundial of the Infinite), then your end step is likely to be the next end step.
That's not likely to be the next end step to come up. If you cast Thatcher Revolt, a sorcery, during your main phase when the stack is empty (ie. usual sorcery casting time), and there are no other shenanigans in play (ie. Sundial of the Infinite), then your end step is likely to be the next end step.

The opponent was the one who cast the Thatcher Revolt.

So yes, if your opponent casts Thatcher Revolt, they'll have to sacrifice the tokens in the end step of that turn.
Oh, sure, if it was cast on your opponents turn, then they'd get sac'd at the beginning of your opponent's end step.
Thanks I figured they should have died on his turn and not at end of his next turn, I knew i was right but lost a tournament over this. I wont lose it again over this. Do you guys know a link I can click on that lets me see all the steps in a turn from start to finish?
Try rule #500 from the Comprehensive Rules.

btw, how many times do you plan on asking this very same question? 

Sorry didn't find out it fell under rule #513 untill the link for the rules was posted and I was reading. Be easier if the rule number was posted to this but again I'm sorry if it seemed like I was asking the same question over and over because I felt I wasn't on a timer and was making sure I understood this correctly and I do now that I can see the rule it falls under.