Best AC class to begin?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is the best class to use to have the highest ac I can get from 1st level to 20th level. I heard monk is good but how to distribute ability points and still be able to do damage? also i tried paladin with best armor and only got to 26 ac. I read that wizards can reach the highest ac with spells i guess but im not experienced enough to be a wizard.

Why do you want the best AC?

What does having a high AC give you - what are you trying to achieve with it?

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

the best non-infinate AC I have seen was made like this http://community.wizards.com//go/thread/view/75882/19865126/Got_bored..._which_resulted_in_a_new_AC_record . Miss chance that gives you better than 1/20 odds of being hit is still better than any AC.

What is your goal for this thread? Having a high AC just for the sake of it? Use Ottos build. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

Paladin is the only class that can start in plate. Does that answer your question ?

I can recommend you go to the charop forum and read some handbooks.

Paladin level 20 in a common magic +5 (lvl 21) plate armor should have something like 37 AC, without even taking any sort of defensive feats.

Any light armor / cloth class like monks, avengers can only achieve high AC by boosting Dex, and taking some feats. 

Paladin is the only class that can start in plate. Does that answer your question ?

No, it really doesn't, since plate/shield isn't the only way to get to max AC at level 1.

Also, it's incorrect, since Knights also come with plate proficiency, and any class that gets scale can buy plate at level 1 for a moderate investment.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sure, whatever. The original poster is so vague in his question as to make it impossible to answer.

Let me rephrase: there are a few classes, among which the Knight and Paladin, that start with a proficiency in plate, so without a feat or any other investment you could start with a decently high AC.

Other classes, mostly in light armor, can boost their AC with feats and/or good abilities scores in Dex/Int.

However, if you tell us what it is you are looking for or hoping to achieve, we can better assist you finding an answer. 
Other classes, mostly in light armor, can boost their AC with feats and/or good abilities scores in Dex/Int.

Also, some classes allow you to boost AC with other ability scores, such as the Seeker and the Warden
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
There are plenty of ways to get high AC. Avenger or Monk with Unarmored Agility and high dexterity/intelligence. If you go with a human, pick up Hafted Defense and give them staves.

Heck, make a human wizard. Get them the Staff of Defense feature, 20 Intelligence, Unarmored Agility and Hafted Defense. You have now have high AC on one of the squishiest classes in the game.

But you don't need huge AC. You just want to avoid low AC. Which pretty much every class can do with ease, since every class has some means of boosting their AC, either through getting heavy armor by default or using one of their secondary or primary stats for AC with light armor proficiencies.
Gunmage, a homebrew arcane striker. (Heroic Tier playtest ready.) GDocs link. (More up to date.)
All of this still trying to catch fog with a butterfly net until the OP is more specific in what he wants and hopes to achieve.
If you're trying to make the toughest character you can, it's a question of more than just your base full-time AC value.  Toughness is also a function of your other defenses, HP, availability of self-healing, temporary buffs to defenses and debuffs to enemy attacks, saving throws and ability to shrug off status effects, etc.

The general consensus is that the Warden is the toughest class; especially a con-based Warden like an Earthstrength.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
i just want to have a really high ac so i almost never get hit. a dm is starting a new game with us and i want to try it. not sure what plate is or what warden is. we play on 3.5 version. we have a lot of different books so im sure what you are all talking about is in them somewhere. starting at level 1, what class/race will get me the highest ac i can get? best armor shields etc.. and continuingly increase each level. anything but a wizard would be helpful i am not good with non combat characters. well what i mean is i like to just fight which is why i want a really high ac so i wont get hit.
Telling us what edition you are playing would have likely helped a lot of the confusion you are having.  Everyone here defaulted to 4e instead of 3.5.

I don't play 3.5 so I don't have any answers for you sadly, but that is why you might get confused reading things on this thread. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
oh ok i didn't realize they were so different
oh ok i didn't realize they were so different

2 Totally different games. Even in 3.5, how have you not heard of Plate Armor? Anyways, pick up a Fighter or Paladin, and you'll be fine.

Ugh, 3.5 nostalgia...
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
My response is 3.5.

Still, the best method to not be hit is to have miss chances.  

If you want a really high AC don't go monk, it generally has a low AC. Best AC can generally be found with buff spells and being a caster. Failing that, go for mithril full plate, a decent dex score, an animated shield,  ring of protection, amulet of natural armor. So something like warblade, crusader, paladin, ranger, barbarian, duskblade and fighter. 

When buying magic items to increase AC, get a bunch of +1 items that provide a bonus of different types before going for a +2 bonus. Its generally cheaper. +1 Natural Armor, +1 Deflection bonus. stuff like that.  

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"

i just want to have a really high ac so i almost never get hit.

DO NOT start an arms race with your DM. Giving yourself an "unhittable AC" will only encourage him to level up the monsters so that when they hit you on a 15 or better, they are hitting the rest of your party on a 5 or better, and none of you will be able to handle the damage (or he will find ways to bypass your AC altogether, either with touch attacks or save or die spells).

Make yourself hard to hit, but not impossible to hit, and this arms race never needs to happen. Aim for the DM only hitting you on 15+. Expected accuracy for all parties involved in a combat is hit on 10+ (base game rule assumption, not CharOp assumption). Skew this too far, and the DM has to react in order to keep encounters meaningful and exciting. A boring fight where everyone is swinging and missing (or even where the only ones missing all the time is the monsters) is good for no one.

Don't worry.  In 3.5 there are enough things that can ignore a high AC that boosting it through the roof really won't be as big an issue as it seems...
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Monk is a good choice. or fighter with high dex, combat expertise, dodge, armor that allows max dex, maybe a tower shield (hide behind it and stand in a corner; you'll almost never get hit). At higher levels get unarmed strike, deflect arrows, snatch arrows to block ranged attacks, fight defensively. A lot of these decrease your ability to hit an opponent, but make for a good tank. While the enemy wastes time trying to hit you, your allies can flank them and finish them off. Another tactic is that the best defense is a good offense. Power attacking strong barbarians tend to kill quickly. Dead enemies are typically much easier to avoid. At higher levels, you'll get damage reduction, so even if you get hit, it's not as bad. Plus, the higher hit points means you'll likely survive.

There are also some prestige classes that are all about dodging blows... ninja from complete adventurers guide comes to mind... or duelist.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Monk is a good choice. or fighter with high dex, combat expertise, dodge, armor that allows max dex, maybe a tower shield (hide behind it and stand in a corner; you'll almost never get hit). At higher levels get unarmed strike, deflect arrows, snatch arrows to block ranged attacks, fight defensively. A lot of these decrease your ability to hit an opponent, but make for a good tank. While the enemy wastes time trying to hit you, your allies can flank them and finish them off. Another tactic is that the best defense is a good offense. Power attacking strong barbarians tend to kill quickly. Dead enemies are typically much easier to avoid. At higher levels, you'll get damage reduction, so even if you get hit, it's not as bad. Plus, the higher hit points means you'll likely survive.

There are also some prestige classes that are all about dodging blows... ninja from complete adventurers guide comes to mind... or duelist.

Or sorcerer... use obscuring mist or a darkness spell, then use true-strike to avoid the concealment miss chance when you attack. Be sure to stay away from the opponent in the mist to get the best out of the concealment.

At higher levels, a cloak of displacement is a must for the dodgy character.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.