Monks Are Ninjas From Naruto

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
They can walk on water, run up walls, and can even send people flying with leaf whirlwind *cough* I mean hurricane strike. If they cross class with wizard or take a certain speciality, they can do ninjutsu.

Using 5e, it is possible to make a D&D character out of these naruto characters. The question is what level will they be and how bad can a full fighter/cleric/wizard can reck their world? 

I try to make a D&D vs *insert show series here* thread, but it died. 

Every class is a Ninja from Naruto.

Naruto has a very loose definition of what a Ninja is.
Naruto is a very incorrect definition of what a Ninja is Wink

But really, monks came before naruto, even 3.5 monks were first. So aren't monks from Naruto just D&D monks?
My two copper.
Naruto is a very incorrect definition of what a Ninja is 

But really, monks came before naruto, even 3.5 monks were first. So aren't monks from Naruto just D&D monks?

Oh c'mon, that's not fair. That's like comparing a 3.5e fighter to a 5e fighter. 

Alright, this how this thing works.  It's like converting meters into gallons then into feets. 
Let's say we got Season 1 Sasuke Uchiha. He cast a fire ball justusu so that auto puts him at lv 5 wizard. He kick somebody up to the air then kick him back down while midair, that's kind of put him in lv 4 monk. Together that's like lv 9. Then we look to see what 9lv challenges we got. 

The Bone Devil vs Sasuke Uchicha.

I don't know how deadly is the done devil, but that sting look deadly. 
sasuke  uchiha is a jerk
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Comparison to Naruto, shred the gamebooks and start over. Yell
Back in my day, monks were just Saiya-jin.  It's kind of funny how every generation sees things through the lens of popular culture.
The metagame is not the game.
Back in my day, monks were just Saiya-jin.  It's kind of funny how every generation sees things through the lens of popular culture.

Back in my day they were more Bloodguard (Bannor).
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

This was the monk... 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwai_Chang_Caine

No it wasn't.

Interestingly enough, though, Bruce Lee was to originally play the part of Caine.
This was the monk... 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwai_Chang_Caine

No it wasn't.

yes it was.

Interestingly enough, though, Bruce Lee was to originally play the part of Caine.

Agreed that is interesting.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

yes it was.

Not really, it's become a trendy thing; Caine never talked to animals and plants, or had a bunch of other classic Monk stuff.
Fun fact: Naruto was originally intended to be about wizards, but it was set to be printed right as Harry Potter mania was starting up and the publishers didn't want to look like copycats and/or get sued. So they changed "wizard" to "ninja", "magic" to "jutsu" ect...

Caster supremacy, even in Japan?
"Ha! Rock beats scissors!" "Darn it! Rock is overpowered! I'm not playing this again until the next edition is released!" "C'mon, just one more." "Oh, all right..." "Wait, what is that?" "Its 'Dynamite' from the expanded rules." "Just because you can afford to buy every supplement that comes out..." "Hey, it's completely balanced! You're just a bad DM for not accommodating it."
Show
RPGs are getting more popular, and whenever something gets more popular, it inevitably changes, usually becoming more palatable to the masses. Nintendo is the perfect example. In the old days their games coined the term "Nintendo hard" to extend play time, but they knew their fans were dedicated enough to play anyway. Now they mostly make stuff a five year old can master. That's not necessarily bad, though. Most of those old Nintendo games were infuriating. Likewise, a lot of old RPGs were too complex and irritating for the average person to really get into. Rules light systems are going to get more popular as more people enter the hobby, simply because the new people aren't bound by nostalgia, and would rather play something easy and fun than something that takes a huge amount of effort to learn.
My cousin is still mad that shocking grasp isn't a melee unarmed attack anymore so his high elf rogue can't taser punch with his Dex mod.

I insert a "Make Shocking Grasp a Dexterity based" attak in each survey for him.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Every class is a Ninja from Naruto. Naruto has a very loose definition of what a Ninja is.

This.

Though I would love my Monks to have some of the powers/maneuvers I did see.

yes it was.

Not really

Actually, according to the forward in Oriental Adventures, the monk class was designed by Brian Blume so he could play a character based o the protagonist in Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir's Destroyer series, not Chiang Caine from Kung Fu.  So the original monk is, in fact, Remo Williams!

yes it was.

Not really

Actually, according to the forward in Oriental Adventures, the monk class was designed by Brian Blume so he could play a character based o the protagonist in Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir's Destroyer series, not Chiang Caine from Kung Fu.  So the original monk is, in fact, Remo Williams!

Fred Ward, the class!

So the original monk is, in fact, Remo Williams!

And so, The Adventure Begins!
Every class is a Ninja from Naruto. Naruto has a very loose definition of what a Ninja is.

This. I think that each class or build from D&D can be a type of Ninja in Naruto.

Interesting.

Fun fact: Naruto was originally intended to be about wizards, but it was set to be printed right as Harry Potter mania was starting up and the publishers didn't want to look like copycats and/or get sued. So they changed "wizard" to "ninja", "magic" to "jutsu" ect...

Caster supremacy, even in Japan?

Very interesting.
Heh, one of my friend always played monks because of Dragonball. The DM even houseruled a big Ki blast for him, a good thing to balance a weak class.

Yuckkkkkkkk........... zero dignity from day 1.

Qui Chiang was the monk of early 70s modern american culture. 

The class was designed by Brian Blume, so "dignity" is not something one could really expect.  Remo Williams was surprisingly high-brow for Blume.

But not, apparently, Gygaxian D&D.
Interesting about some of the topics on the original monks. >.>

So how does the 5e monk feel like to you? 

Honestly it feels like the same directionless miasma that was the 3.X Monk.  The class has some odd baggage from 1st and 2nd Edition that hasn't served it well in 3.X and DDN.  I'm not edition warring here, because I think that baggage should be a potential class.  But the ascetic/divine Mystic and the worldly/martial Monk desperately need to be separated for the good of both designs.

Honestly it feels like the same directionless miasma that was the 3.X Monk.  The class has some odd baggage from 1st and 2nd Edition that hasn't served it well in 3.X and DDN.  I'm not edition warring here, because I think that baggage should be a potential class.  But the ascetic/divine Mystic and the worldly/martial Monk desperately need to be separated for the good of both designs.

It's not that the monk is directionless, it's that the monk's direction makes no sense to anyone who hasn't read that one obscure pulp action series. Early D&D does that a lot. The monk wasn't designed to be a class of characters - it was designed to be a full level progression for one character that one person wanted to play. Early D&D does that a lot too.

The designers have said that they're struggling with ways to make the monk into a real class. I want to push the monk into the magic fighter role, because that's a huge gap to fill and the monk kind of falls into that gap already. The monk is closer to covering that small subset of magic fighters found in shonen manga and wuxia films. If the designers went with that, I could get behind that too. Just so long as it's a class of characters, rather than one character's class.
the ascetic/divine Mystic and the worldly/martial Monk desperately need to be separated for the good of both designs.

O god yes. Monks in D&D just try to do way too much. It gets to the point where they're just ridiculous. 

No, it doesn't. It's actually a very accurate depiction of the traditional Japanese depictions of ninja; there are references to Japanese folklore like The Tale of Gallant Jiraiya and Sarutobi Sasuke. Fun fact: you know how Naruto ninja shoot fireballs out of their mouths, and cause great big clouds of smoke when they use their powers? Traditional ninja were also depicted as doing similar things, as they were some of the few people in historical Japan that actually used gunpowder. They're literally the only example of "blaster magicians" I can think of in historical folklore.
Come visit Dark Side of the Moon, the new home to the Nasuverse fandom!
the ascetic/divine Mystic and the worldly/martial Monk desperately need to be separated for the good of both designs.

O god yes. Monks in D&D just try to do way too much. It gets to the point where they're just ridiculous. 

I don't think it's that they try to do too much.  Rather, I think they try to let you do too much at one time.  I can see the monk keeping all of it's current abilities.  But, it should probably be divided up into a couple types of monk.

Martial Artist: This type of monk fits the typical Shaolin monk archetype.
Transcendent: This type of monk fits the 3e mindset of becoming more than human.
Ascetic: This type of monk fits the European religious monastic tradition.
There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

It sucks but its not alone. I dont like any of the current classes. Im not trying to be funny. I could go into detail about why the Sorcerer and the Lock are better than any of the currents. Since you asked. My take on the Monk.

1. Bounded Accuracy
Nothing is wrong with Bounded Accuracy. I like it however its overly done and with nothing else is bounded every martial class hits often has ok AC, and a bunch of hp. You simply dont have multiple builds or fighting styles in the numbers. The Monk is samey. Character development ends after creation. Beyond ability score you cant make a monk that is exceptionally accurate, durable, fast or elusive. This is nothing new to D&D however in the past you could at least boost weapon proficiencies and take dodge bonuses.

2.   Maneuvers dont add style
You only get two that are unique in 20 levels. Even if they were ungodly stylistic thats not enough to add style. So while they are decent game mechanics the Monk is still samey.

3. The Ki abilities come from the outer instead of the Monk's inner.
 Im homebrewing all the classes. To not make Ki abilities feel like any other skill I am building them as an extension of the soul. This is pretty much impossible with the current Monk. After ability scores they are all the same so you cant build from their soul. Also I do not believe in giving a Ki ability at first level. The Monk is a bit cartoonish already. Giving them flame shields at 1st level pushes it past my cheese limit. The least you could do is give the cheesy stuff some high level creed. 

Im bounding every stat like accuracy while allowing all classes to improve everything at the expense of something else sort of like White Wolf. A Monk with high accuracy would develop a Ki ability that slows time slightly and boost their attack score. A Monk with high hp gets a Ki ability that picks them up at 0 hp and gives them 10 or so hp. That is pretty high with bounded hp and damage. A Monk that is great with ranged attacks can enchant arrows or spears etc etc.

No, it doesn't. It's actually a very accurate depiction of the traditional Japanese depictions of ninja; there are references to Japanese folklore like The Tale of Gallant Jiraiya and Sarutobi Sasuke. Fun fact: you know how Naruto ninja shoot fireballs out of their mouths, and cause great big clouds of smoke when they use their powers? Traditional ninja were also depicted as doing similar things, as they were some of the few people in historical Japan that actually used gunpowder. They're literally the only example of "blaster magicians" I can think of in historical folklore.

With a bit of reflavor and a tap into magic, they can resemble a lot like those ninjas from Naruto. 

Right now it's pretty easy to make a monk version of Rock Lee. 

It's not that the monk is directionless, it's that the monk's direction makes no sense to anyone who hasn't read that one obscure pulp action series. Early D&D does that a lot. The monk wasn't designed to be a class of characters - it was designed to be a full level progression for one character that one person wanted to play. Early D&D does that a lot too.

The designers have said that they're struggling with ways to make the monk into a real class. I want to push the monk into the magic fighter role, because that's a huge gap to fill and the monk kind of falls into that gap already. The monk is closer to covering that small subset of magic fighters found in shonen manga and wuxia films. If the designers went with that, I could get behind that too. Just so long as it's a class of characters, rather than one character's class.

Remo Williams really isn't an obscure pulp action series.  Doc Savage, Man of Bronze is more obscure and it was a relatively big hit when it first came out (as was Remo Williams.  They even made a movie based on the books.)

The problem the Monk has is with the fact that the 1st and 2nd Edition version is more of an ascetic Mystic, more at home in a monastery than a martial arts movie.  The 3rd Edition version moved more towards the martial artist, and 4th Edition wholly embraced it.  The DDN version moves back towards the kludgy half and half 3rd Edition version.
I suposse a new "Oriental Adventures" could be a hook to get new fans to D&D from otaku comunity.

The D&D monk is based in the wuxia genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia

* Ninja and samurai should be different classes, nor only a speciality.

* I like the idea of ki like a alternative source power (like arcane, divine, primal or psionic). 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Fighter and rogue.

And Carradine doesn't translate into zero dignity?  I mean, I liked him as Caine (I remember him more from the second series he did), but old choke & stroke doesn't really evoke dignity in my mind.  Maybe that's the way you finally shake off your humanity and become an outsider.
There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

And Carradine doesn't translate into zero dignity?  I mean, I liked him as Caine.

Qui Chiang Caine in context of the original series (dont even remember the lattter) most definitely had a sense of very suitable quiet dignity, its not so much that I associate it with the actor. 

I suposse a new "Oriental Adventures" could be a hook to get new fans to D&D from otaku comunity.

* I like the idea of ki like a alternative source power (like arcane, divine, primal or psionic). 

I would like Samurai to be a Background, same with Barbarian.

I would like Samurai to be a Background, same with Barbarian.

Samurai, definetly. My DM mentioned last night actually, that the problem with a Samurai class is that there's so many different views on what a Samurai is, there's no way you can have one class encompass them. A background would be a much better fit.

Barbarian is debateable. 4e gave Barbarians options that made them very seperate from other classes and I'd hate to see that thrown away.

Barbarian is debateable. 4e gave Barbarians options that made them very seperate from other classes and I'd hate to see that thrown away.

Fair enough, if they throw in an angry class, call it Berserker instead of Barbarian, being "barbaric"/primitive does not make you automatically rage against the machine.
Ninja, samurai, gladiator and knight are too interesting archetypes to be only theme/speciality/subclasses. Adding more classes means more sold books. 

Ninja can be like a mixture of monk and rogue, with exclusive ki tricks.

Samurai can be a armored fighter with some ki maneuvers like from book "Tome of Battle: book of nine swords".

Sohei can be interesting if it has got the right gameplay design.

* Some characters could be "almost-monks" (only backgroun, class features wouldn´t change), people who were trained by true monks (outcasts who asked refuge right or member of fallen noble house) and after go out.

*  Battledancer was a class from Dragon Magazine (159), wasn´t it? 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I was thinking about that. Maybe D&D can be spread out to reach different fans?
That's an interesting market idea right there.

Kara-Tur can be a great oportunity, I am talking about a videogame like Newerwinter online. 

The taboos of wu-jen aren´t easy to be used in videogame adaptation.

* Do you thing yamabushi can be a D&D class? (or sughenga background be changed)

* Could any things from "Magic of Incarnum" be used for ki powers (like chakras like body slots).

----

I have thought about the battle dancer class, and I have looked for about sword dances. I have found  something about Greek xiphism and the Roman saltatio armatum. 

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Dance.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korybantes

You can say I am a snob, but I would rather the name korybante what wardancer. A name from Latin or ancient Greek is.... more exotic. The background would be like a acrobat or tumbler, a fake-battle show.

xiphi khoros...(sword dance..).

machi chorevtis (battle dancer).

Xiphi (=sword) is a cool word to be used to create a fantasy name, but I don´t like the rest. 

I have changed the idea. Better the name "belistrion" (bellus histrion, battle actor, performer who roleplay fake fights)