Regenerating Spore Frog

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
spore frog has regeneration on it.  How does it resolve?  If frog is sacrificed when not directly involved in combat, can it be regenerated ( we are playing with three people and it was used to stop damage during combat between the other two players)?  And if so, does the enchantment get removed.  Please explain how this would work.
Regeneration can only stop a creature from being destroyed, not sacrificed. If you use spore frog's ability, spore frog will go to the graveyard, and regeneration will go to the graveyard a moment later (due to not being attached to anything).
Regeneration does not protect a creature from sacrifice. It only prevents destruction. However, if a creature regenerates, it never leaves the battlefield, so all auras attached to it will stay attached.
Rules Advisor
Activating a Regeneration ability or resolving the Regenerate spell sets up a "regeneration shield" around that permanent. Setting up the shield doesnt actually do anything (apart from set up the shield, obviously).

Its only when the creature would be destroyed that the regeneration shield gets used up, and thats when the creature regenerates. Instead of being destroyed, it isnt, and you:
- tap the creature (if it is untapped)
- remove all damage that is marked on the creature (if there is any damage marked on it)
- remove the creature from combat (if it is in combat)

It doesnt matter if you cannot do any of those three things (the shield just does as much as possible).

So the Frog doesnt need to be in combat in order to be regenerated, it doesnt need to have any damage marked on it, and it doesnt need to be untapped. It just needs to for something to try to destroy it while it has a regeneration shield. Note that in Magic only the following try to destroy things:
- damage equal to or greater than the creature's toughness
- damage to a creature from a source with deathtouch   
- things that say "destroy"

Since "sacrifice" isnt on that that list, it doesnt cause destruction so regeneration wont stop the creature from going to the graveyard.

You could use Undying Evil on the Frog instead, and that would work, since Undying doesnt care why the creature dies (so sacrificing will do). 

Hope that helps

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments