What (non-staple) races do you want to see?

It's never too early for race discussion.

I really want to see Faeries get a proper airing.

Visually speaking, they're not very stimulating in 4e (I didn't get to see them back when I was playing 3 or 3.5, did they exist?). I was really hoping for something more stylized, like the Faeries of Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block. I thought the insect-like features and colorful bodies worked great! I know I could have made them out to be anything I wanted to, but I was really disappointed when I had to rely on Magic to get a good feel for the race instead of the rulebooks themselves.

Oh, and Goblins should be made into a formal race once and for all.

How about you guys? 
You know your character can look like whatever you want it to, right?  If you want your fairy to look like that, then it looks like that.

Anyway, my list:
Warforged
Shifters (I'd prefer full-fledged beastfolk/anthro animals, but this and other races are easily reflavored)
Shardminds (rename if necessary)

And that's about all I play, so there we go.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I would like to see the Half-Ogre back with Duergar and Gnome Spriggan...

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Everything
At least the 4e races(minus any redundant ones that can be applied as an option for another race, like the Deep Gnomes)
You know your character can look like whatever you want it to, right?  If you want your fairy to look like that, then it looks like that.

I believe I said (and I paraphrase): "4e didn't give them a proper airing, so I had to rely on MTG for visuals." Yes, I was aware. lol

I'm a big fan of the Fae thanks to my control deck back in High School. Oh, Mistbind Clique... u so silly. 
I want to see Faeries- both small and medium since there are more than one type of them. 
IMAGE(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/RockNrollBabe20/Charmed-supernatural-and-charmed_zps8bd4125f.jpg)
Other than "all of them" ;)  Here are a few I'd like to see...

Lycanthrope (not just Shifters ala Eberron, true lycanthropes balanced with other races; a challenge, yes, but doable, I think)

Revenant

A sentient ooze (a shapeshifter race like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Dragons!       

All around helpful simian

i'd like to see a wide range of Genasi variants as well as some medium sized Minotaurs.
Lycanthrope (not just Shifters ala Eberron, true lycanthropes balanced with other races; a challenge, yes, but doable, I think)

Revenant 

I was actually hoping that they would apply Lycans and Revenants (along with Vampires) as character options instead of individual races (or classes... in the case of vamps).

Although I have to admit, with healing surges gone Vampires seem like they may work as a class for 5th edition.
i'd like to see a wide range of Genasi variants as well as some medium sized Minotaurs.

The Genasi for sure. I'm currently playing a bunch of Genasi in some 4e games simply because there's so much variation in a single class.
Awakened animals, just like Aslan from Narnia. Generally, just any non-bipedal, non-humanoid race.

While we're at it, any race smaller than small (like Thumblings, pixies, and bipedal mice) and larger than medium (Ogres, Giants, and Dragons).

Or everything.

*-drakes. (as part of everything)

Those guys have been missing for far too long.
Not that I don't want to see everything too, but let's try to be a bit more descriptive.

Lets narrow it down to one or two races. 
I always wanted to play a Harpie and mimic the other players like a psittacine.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Everything

^^ This ^^.

But, as for specific things that I want to see because they appeal to me, these: Merfolk, Goblins, Centaurs, a Foultouched race (like a far realm influenced version of the Tiefling), Intelligent Beasts, and Anthros.

But, just as good would be a comprehensive guide to creating mechanically sound races and modifying existing races.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Vanara. Laughing
I always wanted to play a Harpie and mimic the other players like a psittacine.

The Kenku can do this. I hope I'm not breaking any rules, but here's the 4th edition incarnation of the ability: “Mimicry: You can imitate sounds and voices you have heard. Each time you attempt to mimic a sound, you must succeed a Bluff check to fool those who hear the sound into believing it is genuine.”

Merfolk

Yes.

a Foultouched race (like a far realm influenced version of the Tiefling)

I would like it to remain the Far Realm though. Making a playable foultouched would make the Far Realm too intimate... at least, for the storytelling purposes of my campaign I always make sure it retains that Lovecraftian incomprehensibility (as I'm sure do many people). If we bring the Far Realm closer, we risk having to make a Farther Realm.
Other than "all of them" ;)  Here are a few I'd like to see...

Revenant

A sentient ooze (a shapeshifter race like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)

Dragons!       

I'd play a sentient ooze
My two copper.

I would like it to remain the Far Realm though. Making a playable foultouched would make the Far Realm too intimate... at least, for the storytelling purposes of my campaign I always make sure it retains that Lovecraftian incomprehensibility (as I'm sure do many people). If we bring the Far Realm closer, we risk having to make a Farther Realm.

I can certainly understand that preference.  At the same time however, one of the characters that rank among my favorites to play is a warlock I created for 4e.  She had the star pact as a natural result of her being touched by the far realm.  It also affected her physically: her fingers had an extra segment on each digit and ended in black claws (a refluffed dagger), and her tongue was prehensile and long.  She was insane, and incredibly creepy.  She knew the names of the stars instinctively, heard them talking to her, and frequently hallucinated.  She also had a couple of creepy habits: one of the funniest was watching her party-mates sleep (often from only a few inches away), and another was using her prehensile tongue, instead of a finger, to move loose strands of hair out of her face.  So I'm still hoping to see one even if it doesn't get a lot of use at other tables.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Pretty much, this.  I think it's finally time for goblins to make the leap to PHB1, alongside Orcs.  It would be a great way of highlighting how no, they're not all evil.

And honestly, an Orc (or Goblin) defecting to the side of good seems like it could be less rare than a Hobbit defecting to the side of adventure.

The metagame is not the game.

I can certainly understand that preference.  At the same time however, one of the characters that rank among my favorites to play is a warlock I created for 4e.  She had the star pact as a natural result of her being touched by the far realm.  It also affected her physically: her fingers had an extra segment on each digit and ended in black claws (a refluffed dagger), and her tongue was prehensile and long.  She was insane, and incredibly creepy.  She knew the names of the stars instinctively, heard them talking to her, and frequently hallucinated.  She also had a couple of creepy habits: one of the funniest was watching her party-mates sleep (often from only a few inches away), and another was using her prehensile tongue, instead of a finger, to move loose strands of hair out of her face.  So I'm still hoping to see one even if it doesn't get a lot of use at other tables.

There wasa 3.5 "half-" template that was similar to your Foultouched idea.  IIRC it gave the character two tentacles.  I don't have many of my 3.5 books any more or I'd look it up.

I've always had a soft spot for the genasi as well.
I also like warforged (warforgeds?). 
Shadar-Kai.  Awww, my shifty little assassins are so special!

Pretty much, this.  I think it's finally time for goblins to make the leap to PHB1, alongside Orcs.  It would be a great way of highlighting how no, they're not all evil.

And honestly, an Orc (or Goblin) defecting to the side of good seems like it could be less rare than a Hobbit defecting to the side of adventure.

Only someone with Squirrel Girl as their avatar would think this

I. Love. Goblins. They're so iconic, and I always make sure to include them in my campaigns (my playgroup switches up DMs fairly frequently, we all have different styles... I'm more story driven, one of them is more combat driven, etc.).

I homebrewed am awesome (and balanced, I think) Goblin race at one point, I wonder if I can find the papers somewhere.

Well, I don't know about that. The Uruk-hai in particular are in a state of constant pain, and only violence and aggression would ease their pain. Meanwhile, there have been at least a few adventuring hobbits if you think about it.

Only someone with Squirrel Girl as their avatar would think this

Wow, I did not even notice that.
We had a e6 goblin game with gestalt classes not too long ago.  A friend had a Druid/Rogue that rode a wolf.  We had fun.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Are we talking about races in the first PHB? 

I would like a Savage Species type deal for 5th Ed. 
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some fresh blood in the main race lineup. I think that an aquatic/amphibous race is a nice silhouette that we haven't really seen much. Because merfolk have less accumulated baggage about what their culture is like in standard fantasy, we can use them to fill cultural silhouette holes that are left open among other races. For example, merfolk might generally be very mercantile or very pious. I like MtG's legged merfolk designs, like this or this or this.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
Staple Races?
Are we talking the Tolkien 4?

For me, I want to see subrace used effectively...
And some Shifters (or other Anthro-s), Planetouched (even if that plane is Elemental), and a Living Construct of sorts.
Also, Goblinoids. 
I have an answer for you, it may even be the truth.
I would like to see humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings done with depth and variation. The PHB menagerie is hard to get out of player minds once they see it in the PHB and the non-standard races can really alter the feel of a fantasy world. For myself I would actually be happy to see only humans in the PHB. Everything else can be monsters, which have always been fun to convert into playable races at the table anyway. No need for WotC to do it.
Golems (awakened statues and Frankenstein-types rather than just Warforged), Werewolves (the hereditary kind), something like a small/young Treant, and Pixies. 

Also an elemental earth race that is more rocky and less human than Genasi, as well as being from the earth/world, rather than another plane.
Also an elemental earth race that is more rocky and less human than Genasi, as well as being from the earth/world, rather than another plane.

I like Genasi being tied to genies.

That's cool, I just want some Earth Spirits in addition to Half(?)-Genies.
In core, 3.5 races+ Dragonborn. In splats Aasimar, Tieflings, Warforged.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Aasimar
Tiefling
Shadar-kai
Goliath
Neraphim 
Half-orcs, although those are pretty likely as a race. Dragonborn and tieflings (or a renamed 4e-style tiefling, in addition to the Planescape one) should return, because those races were cool. I'd like to see a Far realm/outer plane-touched race, because that would be really cool. I don't mean a full-blown foulspawn, but someone who has been twisted by the alien powers of the Outer Planes and now controls those powers, to some extent.
Apparently we just need rules for converting any creature in the MM into a playable race.

Apparently we just need rules for converting any creature in the MM into a playable race.

Which I dig (Savage Species - Treant Monks rock).

I do think they could have thrown us a new race or two by now. 

That's cool, I just want some Earth Spirits in addition to Half(?)-Genies.

Right on, the Spirit Folk in Kara-Tur/Oriental Adventures are cool.

Which I dig (Savage Species - Treant Monks rock).

I do think they could have thrown us a new race or two by now. 

Hell yeah savage treant monks!!!!