Changing color after activating abilities

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my Kor Firewalker is tapped and my opponent targets it with Royal Assassin's activated ability, can I counter the ability by changing the color of the Assassin before the ability resolves?
Rules Advisor
yes
proud member of the 2011 community team
Isn't ability independent from its source?
Yes, but protection cares about the characteristics of the source of the ability.
Yes, but protection cares about the characteristics of the source of the ability.

It should care about the characteristics of the source of the ability at the time the ability was activated. Without that it isn't true that ability is independent from its source.

So in response the opponent could use another Royal Assassin on his first one to prevent it from changing color and save its ability from countering?
I know that there would be an option to use second Assassin on Kor Firewalker but this wouldn't be fun ;).
It should care about the characteristics of the source of the ability at the time the ability was activated. Without that it isn't true that ability is independent from its source.

The rules just say that the ability's existence is independant of the source.
rulebook quote
112.7a Once activated or triggered, an ability exists on the stack independently of its source. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, "Prodigal Pyromancer deals 1 damage to target creature or player") rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in the zone it's expected to be in at that time, its last known information is used. The source can still perform the action even though it no longer exists.
So in response the opponent could use another Royal Assassin on his first one to prevent it from changing color and save its ability from countering?

Yes :P
It should care about the characteristics of the source of the ability at the time the ability was activated.

should it?
that's not what the rules say (if memory serves) in 608.2g

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

If the source is removed from the battlefield it uses last known information, but if the source is still around it checks when it resolves off the stack.

A murderous redcap that has just persisted and come into play with a -1/-1 counter adds a come into play trigger to the stack.

Both players get priority before the item resolves off the stack. How much damage the trigger will do depends entirely on what the characteristics are when it resolves as long as it is still on the battlefield and if it is NOT still on the battlefield it will use the power it had when it left the battlefield to determine the damage done by the trigger.

For instance if you also had a ronin warclub in play you would have two triggers coming into play at the same time so would order then how you desired. Someone using removal such as terror could choose to use it before or after the warclub was equiped and that would result in the trigger doing either 1 or 3 damage when it resolved off the stack.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I know that there would be an option to use second Assassin on Kor Firewalker but this wouldn't be fun ;).

You could, but why?  If you have a second Royal Assassin why not just use the second one to destroy the kor firewalker? Then, you still have 2 Royal Assassins for more fun later.

It should care about the characteristics of the source of the ability at the time the ability was activated.

should it?
that's not what the rules say (if memory serves) in 608.2g

"Should" is not synonymous with "does."
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.