I think I am out

With the latest packet I think I am out.  I played Dnd up through 3.5, switched to pathfinder.  Still play 2E and BECMI.  The latest packet did not feel like classic dungeons and dragons to me.  I was really hoping 5E would be just fixing some of the problems with the older editions with some new options.  It's not really turning out that way for me.
    I will probaly play it if one of the people in my group wants to DM it.  It's really not a bad game, just not my taste.  I really like alot more spell slots, like in older editions.  I really didn't care if they changed the damage to balance it out differently.  But I liked lots of utility spells.  I don't see that.  I am not really crazy about martial damage and the way bounded accuracy is developing.
     But I will be watching for further developments.  Maybe the next packet will be different.  But I think what I want is too different from what the younger crowd wants.
    I will say I do like the idea of at will zero level spells, but I liked them more the way pathfinder did them than 5E is doing them.  I actually like the game where a wizard can hit with his staff and dagger when he needs too.  I like the chance for wizards to run out of spells and have to use his mundane skills.
    Oh and in every edition in my opinion, the Rogue (thief) was the neglected class not the fighter or wizard.  Just my opinion.

Well good luck, hope it turns into a game that everyone enjoys.

Huh. Funny. The last playtest packet was the first playtest packet I have loved. I am looking for a game that has the flavor of 2e, the balance of 4e, and a few new innovations (like skill dice and bounded accuracy) to really capture my attention. I felt that the new playtest packet gave me what I wanted in leaps and bounds! It still needs tweaking mind you, but I LOVE where the game is heading... I am sorry to hear that it doesn’t match your tastes. 

Huh. Funny. The last playtest packet was the first playtest packet I have loved. I am looking for a game that has the flavor of 2e, the balance of 4e, and a few new innovations (like skill dice and bounded accuracy) to really capture my attention. I felt that the new playtest packet gave me what I wanted in leaps and bounds! It still needs tweaking mind you, but I LOVE where the game is heading... I am sorry to hear that it doesn’t match your tastes. 

I have to agree. So far, the playtests have been going in the right general direction for me. There are still some areas that need polish (like skill dice, too narrow skills and low level wizard balance), but overall it's looking good.

I have to agree that I would prefer multiple spell slots over increased damage any day, although I am far from being "out". I never had a problem with Magic Missile being 1d4+1 and things like Ray of Frost being 1d3. I have yet to see a reason for Ray of Frost being 1d10 besides the inflation that seems to be present in a lot of newer edition stats. I'm not hating the increased damage just because they changed something but I would like to know the reason behind such a big increase (I can't see the reduced amount of spell slots as the sole reason).

in every edition in my opinion, the Rogue (thief) was the neglected class

(off topic) Wow. I thought the rogue got much love in 4e.

I really like alot more spell slots, like in older editions.  I really didn't care if they changed the damage to balance it out differently.  But I liked lots of utility spells.  I don't see that.  I am not really crazy about martial damage and the way bounded accuracy is developing.

I completely agree with you on these points.  First, the whole point in playing a caster class was that you got diversity at the expense of survivability.  I don't need to be an omega mage that can whipe out an entire battlefield by myself, but as a mage I want, and expect, to be able to actually cast a diverse list of spells that I tailor pick to suit my desires.  Damage dealer, buffer, debuffer, healer, whatever.  The whole point of magic is so that the player has OPTIONS.  Every play packet that they've been coming out with has further and further reduced the number of spells that casters can have memorized.  All they are now is a piss poor fighter with crappy weapons, no armor, no attack bonuses, and a weak/medium strength gernade that they can toss once a battle.

I don't want to see mage spells become all powerful.  I think that the damage for an area affect spell should be about 60-75% of a warrior's single target damage, while a single target spell should be 125-150% of the damage.  The reason for this is because spells are essentially daily consumables while sword swings are not.  They are supposed to hit harder on average.  Add this to the fact that casters generally don't have good armor and there you get your balance.  Clerics do have good armor, but some of their spells are expected to be healing, meaning that they are by necessity partially combat driven.  Having more spell slots also means that a mage can safely memorize non-damaging spells for other effects without severly limiting their damage potentionals as well.

WotC seems to have forgotten the whole point to a caster class, or someone incharge of development must have a stick up their ass over spell casters for some reason.  The point of casters is to diversify your party and give more options to choose from in an incredibly large, complicated, and magical world.  Their recent approach of only using sword hacking and ray blasting every single turn has made this new style of D&D boring as hell for me as a player and as a DM.

I agree with the OP, I have no desire to pursue 5e if this is the way it is going to be run.