Your favorite game system outside of D&D

HERO System (aka 'Champions', though that's generally just the tag for their superhero genre books).
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
I've really liked the fate system. I think the op does want is to say why(?), but I really like that non-combat is rich and varied, and that there's explicitly mechanisms to request narrative control from the dm. That's allowed for a lot of crazy adventures as a player. It tends to get me thinking of the npcs motivations more than other systems, but I get that it isn't for everyone.
Shadowrun (2E or 3E), though mostly for the setting rather than the rules.  Rule-wise, I have yet to find a system more intuitively playable than d20 3.5E.

The metagame is not the game.

Alternity

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Call of Cthulhu and Marvel Super Heroes.
Probably Shadowrun (though which edition I prefer is up in the air), but I'm also playing the Dresden Files in the Fate system and its Great!
Savage Worlds

I'm also partial to the newest gamma world. It is based on 4e d&d but gets rid of many fiddly bits that tend to slow down combat.
I've really liked the fate system. I think the op does want is to say why(?), but I really like that non-combat is rich and varied, and that there's explicitly mechanisms to request narrative control from the dm. That's allowed for a lot of crazy adventures as a player. It tends to get me thinking of the npcs motivations more than other systems, but I get that it isn't for everyone.

Fate is on my list of games to try, maybe top 3 with "Dread" and "Fiasco". 
Write as much as you want! I was thinking short would be better, but actually the "why" is very helpful. 
Lately I'm having a lot of fun with Dark Heresy... And Those books are just... Sexy...

My RPG Campaigns

I joke that D&D Next is what happens when, A Christmas Carol-like, 3rd & 4th edition's ghosts travel back in time to an evening near the end of AD&D 2E's life, and say "this is what is coming" and so AD&D 2E heads off in a different direction. So, it's like alt-reality AD&D 3rd, maybe?Cam Banks

Lately I'm having a lot of fun with Dark Heresy... And Those books are just... Sexy...

I play Warhammer 40k and DH was just a horrible disappointment to me. Man I love Twighlight Imperium to, but I just hate what they have done with Warhammer FRPG and DH. The really funny thing is that if Fantasy Flight produced a TI RPG I would jump all over it.
Does PF count? It's essentially 3.75, so...shrug.

Conan d20 would also be up there.
LOTR rpg.
SAGA.
Deadlands classic.
DCC, if only for the funneling system.
Alternity, for nostalgia's sake. 
Color me flattered.

LIFE CYCLE OF A RULES THREAD

Show
Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

Not the one you like because of x.y, or z. Rather just the one that was the most fun, the most memorable, and a system that you wouldn't hesitate to play again.

I'm thinking Star Wars, by West End Games. Although Twighlight 2000 and Rifts are close. 

Hero System, the "BBB" version from 1989.  

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Not the one you like because of x.y, or z. Rather just the one that was the most fun, the most memorable, and a system that you wouldn't hesitate to play again.

I'm thinking Star Wars, by West End Games. Although Twighlight 2000 and Rifts are close. 

I would never come close to calling anything by Palladium by "favorite system", lol. It's such a mess. Rifts, as far as setting goes, is full of epic and win. Best setting ever. It just needs some real rules, or a major overhaul.
Does PF count? It's essentially 3.75, so...shrug.

Conan d20 would also be up there.
LOTR rpg.
SAGA.
Deadlands classic.
DCC, if only for the funneling system.
Alternity, for nostalgia's sake. 

Car Wars pocket box for nostalgia!
Savage Worlds I'm also partial to the newest gamma world. It is based on 4e d&d but gets rid of many fiddly bits that tend to slow down combat.

Savage Worlds, ftw.

SW and the new World of Darkness are probably my favorite systems. 
I go to see my dad a couple of times a year.  This is when I normally get together with some old high-school friends and game for a few hours.  d6 Star Wars is one of the games that we always seem to find time for.  We all saw the movies for the first time together ;).

My favorite hame outside of D&D is the Hero system.  I haven't played in years but in the mid-90s it was my go-to game.  Mostly Fantasy Hero, Star Hero and Cyber Hero, not much Champions though.  I've always wanted to give Mutants & Masterminds a try (with the current group) but no go, so far.
/\ Art
GURPS. 

Especially when running a nice, realistic medieval campaign with all the optional combat rules in effect.

If you have to resort to making offensive comments instead of making logical arguments, you deserve to be ignored.

I loved playing the West End Games Star Wars.  

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Most fun...  Man, tough choice.

The one that was most memorable to me, was redone Magnum Opus Dragon Warrior game.  That was a blast to play, the table made it incredibly memorable.

I would never come close to calling anything by Palladium by "favorite system", lol. It's such a mess. Rifts, as far as setting goes, is full of epic and win. Best setting ever. It just needs some real rules, or a major overhaul.

Aww, hell no! That mess of rules makes the game =-)
GURPS
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
HERO System (aka 'Champions', though that's generally just the tag for their superhero genre books).

+1
I love it, though I just wish we had been able to get combat going faster. People complain about long combats in 4e.. my experience with HERO was that the combats took twice as long, for half as many rounds. It was worth it, for the combination of top-tier customizability, and a GM that was great at story. 
Anima: Beyond Fantasy. A perfect example of a system with a TON of fluff and a TON of crunch in the same book
My two copper.

Aww, hell no! That mess of rules makes the game =-)

I got into RPG's playing Heroes Unlimited. Started with Palladium.... 

Sometimes I don't know how I ever stuck with the hobby, lol. 
I am a really big fan of Old World of Darkness particularly Mage: the Awakening and Vampire: the Masquerade.
Shadowrun.
Always remember your first.
Other than that, White Wolf. Ideally, Classic WoD or Aeon Trinity or Aberrant. 
Currently the Open Versatile Anime RPG, a rules-lite game driven by character traits instead of general stats like "strength" and "charisma".
Savage Worlds as an all-rounder
Alternity for sci-fi
Unknown Armies for rules-lite modern settings  
Feng-shui for pulp action and wuxia 
13th Age for heroic fantasy 
For the rules:

Hero System

For the fluff:

Warhammer Fantasy
Shadowrun

For both fluff and rules:

CthulhuTech
GURPS

Nyanya you are a Munchkin =-P

Like many others, I can't name a favorite.  I like a lot of different RPGs for a lot of different reasons.

I'm a big fan of horror RPGs in general (old World of Darkness, Beyond the Supernatural, Nightbane, Kult, Witchcraft, Nightlife, Nephilim, and several others).

For pure rules, I like *most* but not all of the new World of Darkness (I'm not a fan of the vice/virtue aspect).

For setting, I like old World of Darkness, particularly Wraith: The Oblivion, and Palladium, particularly Nightbane.

I also like, in no particular order: D20 Modern, Pathfinder, Dragon Age RPG, True20 (and Blue Rose), and Mutants & Masterminds.

Then there's the games I haven't been able to set aside time or money for but have always wanted to try (Call of Cthulhu tops that list).             

All around helpful simian

Heroica.
The original Deadlands was fantastic, IMO. I am also a fan of the L5R RPG.
The Cinematic Unisystem.  It's used for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Army of Darkness rpgs.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Anima: Beyond Fantasy. A perfect example of a system with a TON of fluff and a TON of crunch in the same book

It's also VERY front loaded.  Can be intimidating to people making characters.  But after that, the game needs very little to run and it's pretty quick too.
The Cinematic Unisystem.  It's used for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Army of Darkness rpgs.

You forgot AFMBE! :P
Game systems I've played in:

Deadlands Classic (the game that got me hooked me into RPGs)
Savage Worlds
nWoD
PDQ (along with a nice semi-Victorian slightly steampunkish campaign using PDQ#)
Warhammer Fantasy RPG 2nd Edition (only played a little bit of 3rd online via pbp, the game folded due to outside reasons.  Shame, I'd like to try it more)
Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader (didn't get the chance to try Deathwatch or the other 40K themed ones)
OctaNe
A little of Mouse Guard
And hopefully I can get to try out Fate Core in a couple of days.
Legend of the Five Rings.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
Vamp the Masquerade, Marvel, Age of Decadence, 3.5, and Fire Emblem.

You forgot AFMBE! :P

Does AFMBE use the Cinematic version?  I know there's a more complex version that's used for the game Witchcraft.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.