Why is Void called Void?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Void

Not very... voidy, is it? 
It creates a void of that mana cost.

Sig
Disclaimers
My initial responses to rules questions are usually just answers. If you want an explanation as to why, say so. Just because it says I'm there, I'm not necessarily there. I leave my browser open so I don't have to reload ~30 tabs. Anyone who wants to text duel me through either PM or chat can just PM me with a format (and a time if playing through chat). I don't play standard.
# Card Blind Hall of Fame
3CB
3CB #1 (1/30/11): Won by silasw, with Mishra's Factory, Orzhov Basilica, Vindicate. 3CB #2 (2/13/11): Won by Vektor480, with Mishra's Workshop, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs 3CB #3(2/20/11): Joint win between defuse, with Saprazzan Skerry, Scalding Tongs, Energy Field; and Mown, with The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Inkmoth Nexus, Sheltered Valley 3CB #4(3/13/11): Won by Mown, with Keldon Megaliths, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boros Garrison 3CB #5(3/20/11): Won by silasw, with Black Lotus, Channel, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
5CB
5CB 1 (3/6/11): Won by Maraxus-of-Keld, with Tropical Island, Thallid, Nether Spirit, Daze, Foil
quotes
56819178 wrote:
So, how would I use a card that has a large in the top half and "sui?l? -- pu?? ?is?q" across the middle?
57031358 wrote:
99113151 wrote:
Winning is not important if: 1. You win by a blowout. 2. You pay billions of dollars in cards to win. If you like wasting money just to win one game, while you could have saved it to lose a few and end up winning more in the future, then it is fine by me.
what? do you ceremonially light your deck on fire after a win?
57169958 wrote:
Or did no one notice Transmogrifying Licid before. (And by not notice, I mean covered their ears and shouted LA LA LA LA )
57193048 wrote:
57169958 wrote:
Hmmm... I think the most awkward situation at the moment is simply the Myr Welder / Equipment / Licid / Aura craziness, but I'm pretty sure he's aware of it.
If the most awkward thing going on right now involves Licids, I declare victory.
56287226 wrote:
We regret to inform you of Trevor Kidd's untimely demise in an unfortunate accident involving a mysteriously blown breaker box and a photophobic creature of unknown origin at his home near Renton, Washington. We at the Wizards Community apologize for any inconvenience or delay, and assure you we'll be preparing a replacement to assume his duties as soon as we finish warming up the cloning vats.
[02:47:46] It doesn't merely "come out of suspend" - you take the last time counter off, and then suspend triggers and say "now cast that! CAST IT NOOOOOW!" [02:47:49] Because suspend has no indoors voice
[10:11:33] !opalescence [10:11:33] Opalescence {2WW} |Enchantment| Each other non-Aura enchantment is a creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. It's still an enchantment. · Reserved,UD-R,Vin,Leg,Cla,USBC [10:11:51] *sigh* [10:12:10] Otecko: Do you have a question about Opalescence? [10:12:17] sure [10:12:23] $10 on humility interaction [10:12:25] :P [10:12:29] :D [10:12:47] humility + opalescence put into play by replenish
Ego
58325628 wrote:
Mage is awesome, BTW.
56967858 wrote:
Dear Mage24365, You are totally awesome. Thank you so much. I hope you are able to dine in Paradise without kicking the bucket to actually get there, and that every dollar you ever make magically becomes two more.
58158398 wrote:
56761258 wrote:
I don't think there are any cards like that. There are things that prevent you from activating activated abilities, things that increase their cost, and things that counter them, but I don't think anything triggers from them specifically. There are things that trigger from targeting, so that might be relevant, but I can't think of anything that triggers from targeting a player. I'm almost positive there's nothing that triggers from damage being prevented.
Rings of Brighthearth; Dormant Gomazoa; Samite Ministration.
56761258 wrote:
Well played.

www.thefreedictionary.com/void

n.
2. An open space or a break in continuity; a gap. 

On the range of integers, this creates a void.
If we take it to mean "a gap or opening" then it could be a literal meaning in that it creates a gap in the converted mana costs of creatures, artifacts, and non-land cards in hand that your opponent controls.

That's all I got, I don't know. 
If we are using "void" as a noun, it could be used in the sense of some hole or "void" in space that sucks in and destroys things around it.  Or if we look at the artist depiction, we could simply say the spell creates a "void" on the battlefield by destroying a swath of constructs and allowing others to step into the gap.

Then again, if we instead use "void" as a verb, we could say it invalidates, empties of power, or "voids" magical spells within certain parameters.

These all seem fairly appropriate here.  What sort of thing do you think a spell called "void" should do?  Im curious as to what would prompt such a random observation...

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Void

Because token players void their bowels upon seeing it. Get it?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The same could be asked of Vraska the Clearly-Visibe.
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
The same could be asked of Vraska the Clearly-Visibe.

Thankfully, RPJesus fixed that:

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

because bad names are easier to come up with than good names.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

because bad names are easier to come up with than good names.

Look at Jhovall Queen. In zoology, "queen" means "baby machine", and she's not really a token generator the way Sliver Queen, Ant Queen, and Hornet Queen are.

I also like bad flavor text. Leaf Arrow is hilarious because 1) there's only one Eldrazi with flying, 2) even she can't be targeted by it, and 3) okay, have you ever seen an Eldrazi taken down by one Bolt?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Void

It is very voidy. It creates a hole, that be a void.

The more interesting question is HOW it creates a hole. Cross dimensional magic users are dangerous. Particularly when they start messing with the things that determine your laws of nature :p
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
There's also the art... it shows a mecha kinda of thing on top of a pile of debris and rubble, very unrelated to the card's effect.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
There's also the art... it shows a mecha kinda of thing on top of a pile of debris and rubble, very unrelated to the card's effect.

The mech is one of Urza's Titan Engines, a very small number were made, all of them for his allied (old school) planeswalkers.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

It makes your cards null and void.
It is very voidy. It creates a hole, that be a void.

Plus, it's not an Un-card, so it has to have a plain and simple name. It can't be called "Number Be-Gone".

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

Look at Jhovall Queen. In zoology, "queen" means "baby machine", and she's not really a token generator the way Sliver Queen, Ant Queen, and Hornet Queen are.

Yeah, but this is a fantasy game and the jhoval is a fantasy lion-ish analogue, or at least some sort of big cat. As such calling it a queen because it's big, bad, scary makes sense... plus as a rebel there was already a metric urza-ton of card advantage and this exists at the top of that curve. Popping out babies would be either win more at 6 or the final straw in a tribe that already needed bannings for block, etc. Since our culture already thinks of top predator felines in an alpha role in terms of royalty, pumping out babies is completely off the table and they wanted a baddass name I'd argue that while somewhat bland the name is, in fact, better than average.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Sign In to post comments