Mechanic of Tomorrow, Today!

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I made this for a contest just now. I thought it was interesting enough to share. If you have thoughts or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

I'm not sure what I want to call my Mechanic, but I will ponder that as I write this down.

For now, let us refer to it as Spin. When you tap a Spinning card it does not untap as a normal card does. No, it keeps going at 90 degree intervals. First it is tapped sideways so that the top of the card points like >, then, during your utap phase the card is turned another 90 degrees, so that it is completely upside down. During your next utap phase, it will turn itself yet another 90 degrees, so the top points left <. And finally, three turns after the original tapping, it will return to its normal upright position.

Basically, it may sound complicated, but it is pretty intuitive. You tap to 3 O'clock, next untap phase 6 O'clock, NUP 9 o'clock, and finally during your next untap phase, 12 O'clock.

Now, what happens if you untap it? It returns to 12 no matter where it was in the cycle. But it does not activate its ability. Oh the ability? Yes, this is not a drawback mechanic, at least not usually. One the things I like about it is that it has the potential to be both. Most people don't like drawback mechanics, but my philosophy is that they have their place. I wouldn't mind if each set had one - though I can see the problem with a set having several. So, for example:

Meditator of the Void
Creature - Ogre Shaman (U)
Spin
When Meditator of the Void has finished Spinning, destroy all lands and artifacts.

"Space is an illusion, but Time is very real."

6/6

So, as you can see Spin is a very versatile mechanic - but it still has a crappy name. I do like "When ~ has finished Spinning", but I think I can do better. Oh, plus I need to make the rules text understandable.

Orbit? Ugh. Cool but not good enough. Well, maybe.

I'll try it on:

Ponderer in Mind
Creature - Crab Wizard (C)
Orbit
When Ponderer in Mind has completed its orbit, draw 3 cards.

1/1

Okay. I like that. I do. Now with an attempt at rules text:

Ponderer in Mind
Creature - Crab Wizard (C)
Orbit (This creature does not untap as usual. During each untap step it rotates 90o clockwise. When it has returned to an untapped position, it has completed its orbit.)
When Ponderer in Mind has completed its orbit, draw 3 cards.

1/1

That isn't so bad. I could even include the "If a spell or effect would cause this permanent to untap, it does so" without it being too spacious. Okay, well I'll be back. I think I might go tell everyone about this.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
This raises so many questions for me.

1) Is a card with Spin considered tapped as long as it's not at 12 o'clock?
2) Do you rotate it if it's at 12 o'clock during your untap step?
3) What if I'm the kind of person who prefers to tap counter-clockwise?
4) If I tap a card at 9 o'clock so that it rotates to 12 o'clock, does it become untapped?

It's an interesting mechanic, but seems way too confusing to be practical.
Rules Advisor

Am I the only person who finds it inelegant that Magic allows you to tap either direction?
I used to do this with my Swords of Revealing Light in Yu Gi Oh because it's effect lasted 3 turns so the easiest way to remember was just to keep turning it at 90 degree angles so you'd know how many turns had passed on it.

Even using that technique I can't tell you how many games came up where there was a dispute about if someone did or did not spin their swords last turn. It's a headache I wouldn't put on common cards. Due to this factor I think it works better as an ability that might go onto a rare cycle or something but not something that I would use as a "set mechanic".
Don't be too smart to have fun
This raises so many questions for me.

1) Is a card with Spin considered tapped as long as it's not at 12 o'clock?
2) Do you rotate it if it's at 12 o'clock during your untap step?
4) If I tap a card at 9 o'clock so that it rotates to 12 o'clock, does it become untapped?

It's an interesting mechanic, but seems way too confusing to be practical.

Good questions. I'm glad you asked!

1) Yes!
2) No!
3) Then I'll write a comprehensive rule that you must tap to 3 o'clock. Of course, in most matches it shan't matter, especially on the kitchen table, but yeah - sorry.
4) Like if someone targets it with, let's say Frost Breath while it is at 9? It will remain at 9, for the rest of the turn, and during the course of the next untap step.

I realize it is a little confusing when it comes to corner cases like these, but I feel as though the majority of the play seen with this will be pretty intuitive. I do however value all feedback, and I hadn't really decided on your 1, until you asked. So thank you.

Am I the only person who finds it inelegant that Magic allows you to tap either direction?

Yes. There will be rules. For this forum sometimes is YMtR as well!
I used to do this with my Swords of Revealing Light in Yu Gi Oh because it's effect lasted 3 turns so the easiest way to remember was just to keep turning it at 90 degree angles so you'd know how many turns had passed on it.

Even using that technique I can't tell you how many games came up where there was a dispute about if someone did or did not spin their swords last turn. It's a headache I wouldn't put on common cards. Due to this factor I think it works better as an ability that might go onto a rare cycle or something but not something that I would use as a "set mechanic".

Never played YGO. Do they have an untap step? I feel as though it should be just as easy to remember as things like the upside-down Kamigawa cards and the DFC's of Innistrad. Perhaps moreso, because it is the untap, and not the EoT or some random trigger.

Thanks for all your feedback.

So, I really like the space that this opens up. I feel as though writing things on your cards at different angles could be very interesting.

For instance:

Fluctuation Spiritus
Creature - Spirit
Orbit, Flying
Creatures you control have +1/+1.
Creatures you control have Vigilance.
Creatures you control have Lifelink.

2/3

3 o'clock
6 o'clock
9 o'clock

In addition to this, I'd like to revert to the original mechanic's name for a moment:

The Bottle
Legendary Artifact
: The Bottle gains Spin, and "At the end of each untap step, you must play tonsil hockey with whomever The Bottle points at."

"Pucker Up."

Very awkward at 6' oclock.

I have some more ideas in my sleeves up I don't want to overwhelm y'all with my mindbrain.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I want this on a weird looking card template where the text box is in the center with text on each side that's only active when that side is face up. Also art on the whole card.
That's just a lot more confusing version of Tidal Influence + Homarid with less complex wording, although reminder text makes your cards have ~more~ complex wording.. I decided to use this wording when I thought of this mechanic, although the wording might be a lot more simple!

Season's Reflection
Land
Season's Reflection enters play with a number of level counters of your choice.
[Level 0] : Add to your mana pool. Season's Reflection levels up.
[Level 1] : Add to your mana pool. Season's Reflection levels up.
[Level 2] : Add to your mana pool. Season's Reflection levels up.
[Level 3+] : Add to your mana pool. Remove all counters from Season's Reflection.

This version appears to be much cleaner! ^.^

Fluctuation Spiritus -
Creature - Spirit
Specialize (If this card would untap, it levels up instead. Then, if this card's level is four or greater, untap it and remove all counters from it.)
[Level 0] Flying
[Level 1] Creatures you control get +1/+1.
[Level 2] Creatures you control have vigilance.
[Level 3] Creatures you control have lifelink.
2/3

Sorry, but I'm afraid that you once again created another rules nightmare with non-intuitive interactions with tapping + untapping abilities to accomplish something that's entirely possible with existing rules and standard wording.. Ah well, people will appreciate your wording!

Ponderer In Mind -
Creature - Crab Wizard
Meditate 4 - Draw three cards. (If this card would untap, it levels up instead. Then, if this card's level is four or greater, untap it and remove all counters from it. If you do, draw three cards.)
1/1
This... THIS IS AWESOME. Seriously, favourite mechanic I've seen in a while.

Some ideas!;

Breaking Wheel
Artifact
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose an opponent.
Orbit (This permanent does not untap as usual. During each untap step it rotates 90o clockwise. When it has returned to an untapped position, it has completed its orbit.)
Whenever ~ rotates, the chosen player loses 5 life.

Warrior Crab
Creature - Warrior Crab Beast
Orbit
~ may only attack when it's facing sideways.
3/3

Capitalism
Legendary Enchantment
When ~ has completed it's orbit, you win the game.
: Rotate ~ 90o counter-clockwise. Any opponent may activate this ability. You may pay to counter this ability.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Warrior Crab
Creature - Warrior Crab Beast
Orbit
~ may only attack when it's facing sideways.
3/3

A+++ flavor

Rules Advisor
Liking Capitalism. So funny... lol.
Hello Cats - I've been waiting for you. You appear to have foiled me yet again. But, do note that there are discrepancies between our creations. I'm pretty sure there is some space here that I've yet to tap. Fenix. did a little, though I think his crab was a joke - a very amusing one, though. I will try to think of a way my cards cannot use your mechanic, but I cannot promise success.

Fenix., your additions are wonderful! And, I'm really glad you like it. I can always count on you. Breaking Wheel is probably my favourite - though the crab is quite hilarious. The effect on Capitalism is probably something I'll use. Reminds me of Curse of the Cabal.

Hi Chaos, I was thinking the opposite actually. Text as the border, and image in the center. I don't know. I can see your way working as well. I momentarily entertained the notion of proxy Circular Cards. Like how DFC's had the little proxy cards? Only when you cast it, you put this circular card into play. But that seems unnecessary and possibly even more confusing. Plus, I think printing would be even more of a hassle, though Glob knows they might sell themselves, with players these days.

139359831 wrote:
Alright, I'm curious! ^.^ I remember when Mown introduced a "day/night" mechanic that used colored rules text, and 50-60 posts later I think that s/he abandoned this interesting idea because in almost every case it's a lot more simple when you're going with standard wording like on Glory Of Warfare..
Well, I mean, your mechanic is a lot more prone to counter shenanigans. That's the main difference I can see. Not only that, but how do you Spin the Bottle with counters?

139359831 wrote:
Okay, I'll think of some things that are only possible for your version! By the way, do untapping effects cause the creatures with the keyword to spin around as though they were tapped instead? And what about Umbral Mantle, what happens when you're supposed to untap them as part of a cost?
Fezzhead had the same question, so I s'pose I must put it into the rules text. Darn.

They return to an untapped 12 o'clock position. I think it might be crazy broken otherwise. I remember I had examples before, but I can't recall them now.

139359831 wrote:
Although that's a very tough decision for me, tapping + untapping abilities could become a lot more dangerous when combined with the keyword, as long as that means that interactions with tapping + untapping abilities become a lot more intuitive.. The second problem here bothers me the most!
Glad you liked the cards. I had like, a creativity surge as soon as I finished reading the sentence "No, it keeps going at 90 degree intervals".

Also, the crab card is not a joke, actually! Well, I guess it's as much of a joke as spin/orbit itself...

192884403 wrote:
I guess I can see how the crab would work. It wouldn't tap further when it attacked would it? I don't know - it gets a little confusing. I think the crab would be more intuitive if it had vigilance. It wouldn't really change anything, I guess.

Oh, and I really want to put this on a card:

": tap ~."

Or can I even just put "" and call it a day?

139359831 wrote:
I guess I can see how the crab would work. It wouldn't tap further when it attacked would it? I don't know - it gets a little confusing. I think the crab would be more intuitive if it had vigilance.

nothing interesting here, no sir!
Psssht.... it had vigilance, but I noticed cats_and_me was posting in this thread so I was weary of putting vigilance on a mono-blue creature. I'll add it when cats_and_me hasn't posted for a while!

192884403 wrote:
But vigilance is perfectly fine as blue ability!

Edit: Oh, you edited in spoiler tags? Okay, I didn't read the post! ô.Ô
There are only 4 monoblue creatures that have vigilance: Zephyr Falcon, Synchronous Sliver, Serra Sphinx and Bay Falcon. One is a colorshifted Serra Angel, another is a Sliver and the other 2 are very old... seemed like the kind of thing you'd dislike!

192884403 wrote:
There are some other blue cards that (more or less) have: "Whenever this creature attacks, untap it." They just printed Ghostly Touch, for example! But most blue cards that untap don't refer to attacking, because the color doesn't focus on attacking..

Never played YGO. Do they have an untap step? I feel as though it should be just as easy to remember as things like the upside-down Kamigawa cards and the DFC's of Innistrad. Perhaps moreso, because it is the untap, and not the EoT or some random trigger.

Thanks for all your feedback.

So, I really like the space that this opens up. I feel as though writing things on your cards at different angles could be very interesting.

For instance:

Fluctuation Spiritus
Creature - Spirit
Orbit, Flying
Creatures you control have +1/+1.
Creatures you control have Vigilance.
Creatures you control have Lifelink.

2/3

3 o'clock
6 o'clock
9 o'clock

In addition to this, I'd like to revert to the original mechanic's name for a moment:

The Bottle
Legendary Artifact
: The Bottle gains Spin, and "At the end of each untap step, you must play tonsil hockey with whomever The Bottle points at."

"Pucker Up."

Very awkward at 6' oclock.

I have some more ideas in my sleeves up I don't want to overwhelm y'all with my mindbrain.

The way swords of revealing light read was "this card remains on the field for 3 of your opponent's turns, your opponent can not declare an attack as long as this card remains on the field". There is no untap step in yu gi oh however there is an upkeep and end of turn. 3 turns can be a VERY long time. Asking someone to remember everything that happened two turns ago is going to create issues. Trust me when the card gets bumped and the argument comes up it will be all but impossible to resolve what position the card was in.

Don't be too smart to have fun
Spinning seems like it would be a cool Un mechanic. Write different lines of rules text that are right-side-up when the card is at different angles and it would even look like an Un card.
Spinning seems like it would be a cool Un mechanic. Write different lines of rules text that are right-side-up when the card is at different angles and it would even look like an Un card.

I first thought, not of Yugioh, but of Pokemon, which used 90, 180, and 270 degrees for paralysis, confusion, and sleep.

FWIW, tap angle was actually in the first batch of joke cards, dating to the old usenet days. Custom Magic cards on KYM even mentions that.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
da hell's a usenet :O

Young Whippersnapper
Creature - Human Child
Players can't play cards that were printed more than five years ago.
1/1
Rules Advisor

The internet before HTML. HTML, it's a language used to make websites. You can use a text editor to code it. You know what? We should've just called it a content management system.

Seriously, though, basically it was the internet in the early days. Text-only newsgroups arranged by hierarchy.

A certain troll here actually reminds me of a troll from my usenet days in the early 2000's.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt