Aranyani's Avenger (green defence against deathtouch)

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi. Pretty much a clueless newbie here :-) Just started playing Magic a week ago but loving it so much I already want to make my own cards, not for playing with, just for fun. My girlfriend often plays swamp and she's a pain with deathtouch creatures, and I play green so I thought I'd create a green defence against deathtouch. Comments on usefulness / weakness / mana cost etc are welcome :-)

Hi. Pretty much a clueless newbie here :-) Just started playing Magic a week ago but loving it so much I already want to make my own cards, not for playing with, just for fun. My girlfriend often plays swamp and she's a pain with deathtouch creatures, and I play green so I thought I'd create a green defence against deathtouch. Comments on usefulness / weakness / mana cost etc are welcome :-)

The mana cost is way more restrictive than it needs to be. This could easily cost 2G. Your creature is very narrow, isn't an Ally, and what's more it doesn't even work as written.

And I don't get the flavour. 
Hello there! ^.^ There's no reason for four green mana symbols, and that ability sounds mono-white because green can't destroy anything.. Also, it's possible to punish creatures with deathtouch in more subtle ways so that it's not totally useless against other creatures with other abilities..

Aranyani's Avenger -
Creature - Elf Archer
Reach
, : Destroy target blocking creature if it dealt lethal damage this turn.
1/4

The mana cost is way more restrictive than it needs to be. This could easily cost 2G. Your creature is very narrow, isn't an Ally, and what's more it doesn't even work as written.

And I don't get the flavour. 

Sorry; I didn't read the fact that you were new.In that case... Nice creature, bro!
What Cats said.

Also, Aranyani is a pleasure to say with your mouth. I tend to like alliterations in general, though as a little boy I found them dastardly, distasteful, and disturbing.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
The first part of my comment doesn't really have anything to do with your specific card however, I just want to point out that green has a lot of ways to deal with creatures that have deathtouch wolfir avenger for example survives as long as you have the mana to regenerate him. predator ooze is indestructibe.

I think Cats submitted a pretty good version of your card. Understand that the ability to destroy creatures isn't really green which is why Cats used a white activation cost. With that said there are many green archers who are good at destroying flying creatures (such as femeref archers). If you were wanting to keep the activation cost in green then you could do something like this:

Aranyani's Avenger
Creature - Elf Archer
Reach
: Destroy target creature with flying
1/4

Normally green archers just deal damage to fliers but there is some preceedent for the destroy effect as long as the creature has flying (green isn't supposed to outright destroy non-flying creatures although there are exceptions).

For Reference here is exactly the same card as you have given us (it serves the same function but the wording has changed)

Aranyani's Avenger
Creature - Elf Archer
Reach
: Destroy target creature with deathtouch that has dealt damage to a creature you control this turn.
1/4

When it's typed in this manner it shows 1st that green is destroying creatures (something it shouldn't be doing) and 2nd how narrow the ability would be (compare it to Cat's to see a more open ended wording).
Don't be too smart to have fun
Destroying creatures isn't really a green thing.

And why is green hosing deathtouch? Plummet, you've done it again. Misled a perfectly good designer.

Anyway, green is one of two colors that actually gets deathtouch.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
The wording made me think this was an actual Ally!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Sign In to post comments