casting cards on your opponent's side

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
if i were to cast a card (lets say an artifact), would your opponent gain the abilities of said artifact?

i was thinking of a 'killer combo' that involed casting library of leng onto my opponent's side. would my opponent gain the "no maximum hand size" ability granted by that card?
You mean, casting a permanent under your opponent's control? No. You cannot do that unless an effect specifically says that a permanent enters under your opponent's control.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
if i were to cast a card (lets say an artifact), would your opponent gain the abilities of said artifact?

i was thinking of a 'killer combo' that involed casting library of leng onto my opponent's side. would my opponent gain the "no maximum hand size" ability granted by that card?

If a card says something like "Enchant Target creature" or "Enchant target player" then you can enchant your opponent.  If you are talking about casting artifacts under your opponents control, then no (unless it states otherwise).  If you are asking if there are some artifacts/enchantments where both players get to use its abilities no matter the controller, than yes.  Otherwise, I don't understand the question.

IMAGE(http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1869/hinatasig.jpg)

Keep in mind that the battlefield doesn't have "sides", it is a shared zone. It all comes down to which player controls what.

608.3. If the object that's resolving is a permanent spell, its resolution involves a single step (unless it's an Aura). The spell card becomes a permanent and is put onto the battlefield under the control of the spell's controller.

So, unless the card or an effect specifically says otherwise, any spell you cast that becomes a permanent will be under your control if the spell resolves.

Some artifacts will affect your opponent, some won't, it depends on how the card is phrased.  Library of Leng will not affect your opponent since it specifies "You", which means the controller.

For an example of the difference, Honor of the Pure vs Crusade.  Crusade will affect your opponents creatures as well as yours, Honor will only affect yours.
so i cant just give controll of the card, or any card, unless the card says i can. no casting kobolds on my opponent's side cuz im feeling merciful and showing pity that he cant get a creature out or anything else like that?
No, you cannot give control of your permanents to any other player unless an effect specifically allows or requires you to do so, because there is no rule which allows it.

For the same reason, you cannot draw or discard cards from your hand, or change your life total, or sacrifice creatures unless a rule or effect causes that to happen.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
so i cant just give controll of the card, or any card, unless the card says i can. no casting kobolds on my opponent's side cuz im feeling merciful and showing pity that he cant get a creature out or anything else like that?

Correct.

Cards like Donate or Zedruu the Greathearted can give your opponent control of something.