Monthly Gaming Delivery

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello folks,

Sorry for the long winded question without notice, but who knows where or why ideas come to us.

While having a discussion with friends about how we struggle to keep up with our favousite CCG's, the idea got thrown around about starting a monthly subscription service for the delivery of new products  for our chosen hobbies.

The is not as unusual as it might seem as the monthly mail subscription service is making a comeback with businesses such as www.birchbox.com and the like bringing a wide array of curated products to our doorsteps. So my question is, would this be something people would be interested in? And if so, which model would be most useful / supported? Some thoughts include :

1) A monthly subscription, perhaps a tiered subscription with a monthly bundle of goodies ( which would represent as discount over retail )

2) A small monthly subscription for which a 'sample box' arrives monthly, perhaps including some singles, miniatures, boosters or board pieces to give a hands on sneak peak and encourage the purchase of the full product. OR

3) A monthly subscription for which, after the conpletion of a questionaire, a monthly box of goodies  arrives which you have the option of keeping anything that takes your fancy and being charged for it, or return anything / everything you don't want.

Or maybe a combination of all three, or maybe you have a better idea? Any and all feedback would be much appreciated as between us as we were discussing it we definately felt there was some potential there.

Cheers 
#3 is the Columbia House Record Club, and would not fly in 201x.
#3 is the Columbia House Record Club, and would not fly in 201x.

I was actually in that. I got some good CDs, then a bunch of crap, and you'd be surprised how long it takes to unsubscribe.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I think a combination of 1 and 2 would be awesome. That way if you don't have a big budget, you can go cheaply and get a taste of a few different things, and then decide what you wanted to put money towards in the future. It could also probably help get certain items to reach a bigger audience as well. Smile

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/8102856493/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

It seems like instead of shipping stuff back and forth and all around, it would be waaay more cost effective to have some sort of website.

Something that displays everything you have available and allows people to easily browse it to find the specific things they actually want.  Then pay to have just those things they picked out shipped to them.

AKA every single online retailer ever.

Seriously, we have the internet now.

If what you're after is discovery of passed over cards, go buy repacks or bulk lots. You won't get any of the tournament worthy ones, but I'd doubt you'd get many if any in your proposed suggestion anyway.
It seems like instead of shipping stuff back and forth and all around, it would be waaay more cost effective to have some sort of website.

Something that displays everything you have available and allows people to easily browse it to find the specific things they actually want.  Then pay to have just those things they picked out shipped to them.

But then you can't tangibly preview the things you might want to buy like you could with a monthly sampler kind of thing. There's nothing wrong with going old-school, just because we have internet doesn't mean it has to be our only form of mail and transaction...

IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/8102856493/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

But then you can't tangibly preview the things you might want to buy like you could with a monthly sampler kind of thing. There's nothing wrong with going old-school, just because we have internet doesn't mean it has to be our only form of mail and transaction...

Except folks who have to pay for shipping. So things would be more expensive.

You can TOTALLY preview stuff before you buy it. Just proxy up stuff before you go out and buy it. Test it and buy it if it's worth it. Please print out nice copies of the cards and just sleeve it with a land if you do, however. Let's not look at crapy. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
Apologies for getting back to this post late. And thanksvery much to everyone tha thas provided feedback, positive andnegative.

Firstly I'd just like to say that the purpose of the thread was not to prove whether curated mail service businesses are viable, that's been proven by dozens of businesses delivering a wide variety of products to doorsteps. Birchbox for Beauty products, DollarshaveClub for razors etc, aswell as others that slip my mind for jewellery, mens and womens fashion and kids toys. The purpose of the post was to see whether it was viable for thisparticular market.

I should have elaborated more also. Unlike an online store where you could see a catalogue of all products, it was intended that it would be more of a personally curated service, and that although this is posted on a forum heavy in CCG, that it would perhaps cross different mediums and include miniatures, board games, comics / novels ( or at least samples of these ).

Thakns again for the feedback, and if anyone else has anything to comment or to suggest, please feel free =) 
Apologies for getting back to this post late. And thanksvery much to everyone tha thas provided feedback, positive andnegative.

Firstly I'd just like to say that the purpose of the thread was not to prove whether curated mail service businesses are viable, that's been proven by dozens of businesses delivering a wide variety of products to doorsteps. Birchbox for Beauty products, DollarshaveClub for razors etc, aswell as others that slip my mind for jewellery, mens and womens fashion and kids toys. The purpose of the post was to see whether it was viable for thisparticular market.

I should have elaborated more also. Unlike an online store where you could see a catalogue of all products, it was intended that it would be more of a personally curated service, and that although this is posted on a forum heavy in CCG, that it would perhaps cross different mediums and include miniatures, board games, comics / novels ( or at least samples of these ).

Thakns again for the feedback, and if anyone else has anything to comment or to suggest, please feel free =) 

Those are all an entirely different set of products. Consumables with no secondary market value's success in a specific form of sales availability has little to no relevance to whether it would be viable for a product like Magic.

The Jewlery entry has more validity, as do toys, etc., but none of those are particularly viable in this day and age and the amount of value required would be a bit much. Curated services would have to be staffed by people who would otherwise be working as dealers or playing the game.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
The ApathyHouse Booster Club actually does this with (mostly foreign) booster packs.
They don't exactly catch you up to the new stuff (it's more current or older sets, as opposed to the latest and greatest), but it certainly fits your theme of a monthly booster subscription.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Sign In to post comments