[Contest] - Legends

126 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've never hosted a contest before, but I thought it might be fun to give it a try.

The contest, as you may have guessed, is based around Legendary permanents. It is an ongoing contest, so feel free to enter at any point. Some rounds will have restrictions and some won't, depending on my mood. Each round will last roughly 48 hours.

The judging will be based on the following:

Flavor: Your card should feel unique. Make me want to learn more about your character through your design.

Elegance: I don't want to get a headache when I look at your card. It doesn't have to be too simple, but if it makes me feel like ripping my eyes out, I'll have to dock points.

Power: Legends should be powerful. Feel free to push the power level, but your card should not be obviously broken.

Round 1: Make a Legendary Land that produces only 1 color. You can use any color you want (not colorless).
Round 2: Design a Legendary Manland.
Round 3: Mono-blue Legendary creature with cmc 2 or less.
Round 4: Design a Legendary Goblin.

Winners

Round 1: -TheFlameReaper- with The Forgotten Sanctuary.
Round 2: vlord with River Eterna.
Round 3: Dudibus with Abernathy, Seeker of the Lost Ways.
Round 4: Koridian with Kreeka, Mob Boss's Daughter.
All legendary lands printed so far, ever, have been colorless.

Don't you think you are asking for a bit much? 

I meant a Legendary Land that produces for example. Like Gaea's Cradle or Pendelhaven as opposed to Miren, the Moaning Well.
You shouldn't be making legendary concepts if you're not going to include the storyline details about them.

That's what makes them special, their legend.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

You shouldn't be making legendary concepts if you're not going to include the storyline details about them.

That's what makes them special.

Well, you can tell some of the story through the name, abilities and flavor text. Feel free to write a paragraph about it if you want to expand on the flavor.
The Maw of Hell
Legendary Land

The Maw of Hell cannot leave the battlefield (except through the Legend Rule).
: Flip a coin. If heads, put a 1/1 red Imp token with flying onto the battlefield. If tails, add to your mana pool.

Story soon.
Esterdi, you need to make it tap for a color. I imagine I'll do a colorless round at some point., but for this round you need to design a Legendary Land that produces colored mana.
Happy?

Bro, do you even Kamigawa?
Heart of Vitu-Ghazi
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool for each creature token you control.
Though the City-Tree was wrent by the Old Gods, the bounty of the Conclave can never been stifled.

[spoiler]Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree was the Selesnya Conclave guild hall in Ravnica.  It was destroyed by the Nephilim during the battle between Project Kraj and Rakdos the Defiler
The Forgotten Sanctuary

Legendary Land (M)

The Forgotten Sanctuary enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast Dragon spells.
,: Tap two Dragons you control. Put a 4/4 red Dragon creature token with flying and haste onto the battlefield.

"Here dragons can finally mate in peace.... And where an army will be borne to take out that corrupted Elder..."
-Sarkhan Reborn

Story...

"In just a couple of weeks they'll be big enough to take out that corrupted Elder..." Sarkhan thought. Ever since he stumbled upon The Forgotten Sanctuary and gained the trust of the dragons, he had been planning to take out that wretched Elder with his new found friends. It was mating season and the hundreds maybe even thousands of giant caves in the sanctuary were filled with mating dragons. All not disturbed by the hands of mankind. It had always been Sarkhan's dream to see a little dragon whelp being borne. But now he was staring at thousands of those little spawns in those great caves all taking their first breath, craving meat... the corrupted Elder's meat...
Then he was filled with rage thinking about that Elder. That Elder who made him gone mad. Then he lost his mind and shouted, "CURSE YOU NICOL BOLAS! YOU HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE NEW ENEMY!"
Then he immediately shut himself up as he knew the little dragons needed rest and they could not be disturbed... Could not be disturbed until the day of the war...

Cheers!

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

Esterdi, that card is so cool.

Xanat's Tomb
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Vanilla Creature Spells. (Vanilla is a term that refers to any creature without special abilities or mechanics.)

"Sweet blood of lovers, fill my veins, fill my mouth, and fall like rain.
Under the ground, where you were slain, your nectarous syrup eases every pain."
- Epitaph for Xanat

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Magicpablo, thanks a lot man , but I think you should just say "without abilities" instead of vanilla. I mean, it's out there, and so short. But that's just me.

EDIT: I just realized I'm an idiot. Thus, I added this reminder text to my card:

The Maw of Hell cannot leave the battlefield (except through the Legend Rule). 
Vanilla is almost all of the Flavour for that card. I read about Vanilla Myths. One of those Central American cultures has one where a Goddess falls in love with a Mortal. Her name is Xanat. They are beheaded for their love, and where their blood fell, Vanilla bean came into existence. I may have butchered that story, but that is the gist.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Ooooh, I see, I see.
Throne of Geth
Legendary Land
If a land's ability would add an amount of mana to your mana pool, it adds that much to your mana pool instead.
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Target creature gains infect and intimidate until end of turn.
The throne waits for a master who can control its corrosive power.
Rules Advisor
That would be so amazing with gift....
Heart of Vitu-Ghazi
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool for each creature token you control.
Though the City-Tree was wrent by the Old Gods, the bounty of the Conclave can never been stifled.

That's...kinda...Okay, Tolarian Academy is broken by free artifacts, and Gaea's Cradle is broken by tokens. (Both are broken by untap effects.) That's kinda Gaea's Cradle telling you how best to break it. But you've inspired me, so...

Nayan Pyramid

Legendary Land

: Add X green mana to your mana pool, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Nayan Pyramid

Legendary Land

: Add X green mana to your mana pool, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.

Easily better than Gaea's Cradle.
Bamisae, Once Flooded Plateau
Legendary Land - Plains
add to your mana pool
: whenever a player taps a land for mana this turn that player adds one mana to his or her mana pool of any type that land produced

I editted it a bit to make it a much better effect. It's part of a cycle of ally color hybrid activation lands that are suped up with a basic land type.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Suulsaya's Temple
Legendary Land

If a non-land mana ability would add mana to a mana pool, it adds to that mana pool instead.

'Believe in yourself and in Suulsaya's presence, you may forsake the need for anything else.'
—Door Inscription
IMAGE(http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/The_Third_Rider/CalderaofUrborg_zps39db3d5e.jpg)
Grove of Druidic Guidance
Legendary Land - Forest
: add to your mana pool.
: untap target creature.
It would only reveal itself to those with the greatest need. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Wezzdal, the Reactive Fields
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool. Use this mana only on spell and abilities that are targeting another spell or ability.
"Patience is the only virtue that is rewarded in Wezzdal."

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Heh, I like Pablo's and Fenix's cards! ^.^ But Pablo, I think that you're simply refering to creatures without abilities, unless you're talking about french-vanilla creatures.. And Fenix, I think that you're simply refering to cards that could target spells, the current wording mentions counters that are already countering something when you tap your land for mana..
Hmmm, good point. Any idea how to fix the wording?

192884403 wrote:
I actually suggested a wording in the last post, but changed my opinion and would now prefer "spells that could target other spells"..
But that wording means the mana can be used for copy effects as well, maybe I should make the flavor suffer a little and implement it anyway...

192884403 wrote:
Yeah, the wording becomes rather strange if you don't allow other spells that can target spells..
Spider's Web 

Legendary Land

:T:: Add to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast spider spells

As long as you have mana in your mana pool, creatures you control get +0/+2

The spider's web has been in the Yavimayan forest for centuries, every spider adding it's own to it. 
Spider's Web 

Legendary Land

:T:: Add to your mana pool. Use this mana only to cast spider spells

As long as you have mana in your mana pool, creatures you control get +0/+2

The spider's web has been in the Yavimayan forest for centuries, every spider adding it's own to it. 

omnath would LOVE this land +5+5 each time you tap it even if you can't use the mana.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Heh, people are submitting more and more escalating versions of the same basic idea! What's next, lands that can produce ten mana that only can be spent on brushwagg spells?
Well, I'm going to close round 1 now. I'll write my thoughts on each card, and then pick my favorite. Lots of interesting cards here. Good job everyone!

Esterdi

Very nice design. I love coin flipping cards. When I look at your card, I almost imagine it as some type of geyser that shoots out red mana. Except every so often, a denizen of the underworld manages to make its way out to terrorize the locals. I like it. My only complaint is the lack of flavor text. The name makes me think of Demons and Devils lurking in the depths, but then it shoots out a little Imp. Flavor text would have helped with that. Overall, nice card!

Koridian

Really good flavor. I imagine that once destroyed, the connection to white mana was severed. Now it produces wild, obscene amounts of green mana. Also a nice throwback to Gaea's Cradle. Unfortunately, like the cradle, this is probably way too powerful.

-TheFlameReaper-

The most flavorful entry. Good job with that! I'm a big fan of Sarkhan, so its nice to see him come into his own. Tapping for really helps because of its narrow use, and getting a dragon every turn is really strong. At first, I though you should make the cost cheaper, but the fact that you don't have to sacrifice it (like Grove of the Guardian) makes me think you costed it correctly. Excellent card!

magicpablo666

Interesting story behind your card. I never heard of it, and probably wouldn't have made the connection without your explanation. That is actually ok, because it could go into a set that is built around the idea. At first I thought you were designing a land for Muraganda, though. I'm not sure I like the term Vanilla on a card. It looks a little weird to me. Also, staring down a turn 1 Leatherback Baloth is not the scariest thing in the world, but probably should not happen.

FezzHead

The name makes me think of an artifact rather than a land. It's an interesting card though, and i think it requires some thought to use successfully. The last ability is a game winner, but you priced it perfectly, I think. Good job.

bay_falconer

The connection to Naya is great, but I would have liked to see a more legendary name. It feels like the power level may be too high, but being legendary helps with that, so that's ok for the purposes of this contest. Definitely would have liked some flavor text, though.

morticianjohn

This is a very interesting card. It's very powerful, but it helps your opponents as well (which I like). It has a nice connection to an older card, but could have used some flavor text explaining why it became legendary.  Anyway, one of my favorite entries. Nicely done.

vlord

Interesting idea. Feels almost like a subtle green hoser. Not entirely convinced it needs to be legendary based on the ability, though. Flavor-wise it feels legendary, but having multiples in play wouldn't really do anything. I could actually see this ability on a creature pretty easily. Overall, its a balanced subtle card. Good job.

iHARBiNG3R

I like this effect a great deal. On a land though, it might be too difficult to get rid of and while probably not broken, I think it should probably have a drawback. Look at Pyromancer's Swath for example. This doesn't do as much damage, but its much harder to deal with. Otherwise, I like the card a great deal. Flavorful and powerful.

Dudibus

A very usable, nicely designed card. I guess my only complaint would be that its not very flashy (meaning it could easily be just a land rather than legendary), but I think it would be too powerful if it wasn't legendary. I guess that means you struck a nice balance, so well done.

The rest to come soon...

Fenix

A very interesting idea. I think I'd like this ability more if it was on a creature, though. Should I attack or keep the ability open just in case? It would add some nice tension to the card. I suppose you could accomplish the same thing if it could tap for regularly as well. As it is though, I think its a bit narrow for a legendary land.

an_endless_epidemic

I love me some spiders. They definitely need some support. However, this is a little too powerful, I think. Turn 1 Ornithopter into Changeling Titan just off the top of my head. Silklash Spider, Plated Spider or Sentinel Spider turn 1 could also be bad. However, I really like the idea of a legendary land for spiders.

The winner of round 1 is...-TheFlameReaper- A wonderful mix of flavor and power.
Esterdi and morticianjohn both were in contention with their entries. Good job!
Thanks to everyone that submitted. I enjoyed it more than I expected to. Round 2 will be announced shortly.
On to Round 2: Design a Legendary Manland (a land that can turn into a creature). There are no restrictions this round. Good luck!
1. It's merely the MAW of hell, not the core. The demons reside there.
2. I didn't add flavor text cause I'm stupid and forgot. This time I'll fill it in the first time ). 

Glacier of the Dead Titan
Legendary Land

~ enters the battlefield tapped with 4 frostbite counters on it.
: Add to your mana pool and remove one frostbite counter on ~.
Sacrifice ~ with no frostbite counters on it: Put a 5/5 black Zombie Titan legendary creature token onto the battlefield.

"After no little amount of explosive digging, the necromancer found his new bodyguard."

I just thought this fits really well with grixis.
Nightshade, the Laboratory of Progress
Legendary Land

Nightshade, the Laboratory of Progress comes into the battlefield tapped and will not untap unless a spell was cast.

add 1 mana of any colour to your mana pool.

: Sacrifice a creature, then destroy target creature. Choose a keyword from the creature to attach to Nightshade, the Laboratory of Progress. (eg. lifelink, intimidate, hexproof, deathtouch, unblockable... eg)

: Nightshade, Laboratory of Progress becomes a land creature with +x/+x until the end of turn. Sacrifice Nightshade, Laboratory of Progress at the beginning of the next endstep.

"We do not merely seek the truths, my glorious subjects; we strive to create them." -Sir Rander, Head Alchemist of Nightshade.

5 color deck anyone?

I editted it a little bit. I misread. didn't see "land creature" part. 
Yorei, the Protecting Foundation
Legendary Land
Yorei, the Protecting Foundation is indestructible. 
: Yorei becomes a 6/6 Elemental creature. It's still a land. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
For millenia, I protected My people. I grew complacent, and slowly fell asleep. But now, you have attacked My people. You have angered Me. I will rest no longer.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"
Grellor Maimbeast
Legendary Land Creature - Forest Treefolk
(Grellor Maimbeast isn’t a spell, it’s affected by summoning sickness, and it has “T: Add to your mana pool.)
Trample
Grellor Maimbeast can’t attack or block unless you control at least 4 lands.
"Careful with that axe Eugene..."
5/5

Hmm...this is a creature all the time instead of "turns into a creature" is that Ok or should I re-submit?

If the above isn't acceptable then go with this:

Grellor Maimbeast
Legendary Land - Forest
If you control 4 or more lands, Grellor Maimbeast is a 5/5 green treefolk creature with trample. It's still a land.
(Grellor Maimbeast isn’t a spell, it’s affected by summoning sickness, and it has “T: Add to your mana pool.)
"Careful with that axe Eugene..."

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
Am I the only one who thinks Kaze's card is overpowerd?
I didn't read the super-large rules text, mainly because it doesn't match the criterion anyway..
I was just pointing out that

: Destroy target creature.

alone should not exist on a land.