Keyword: Burst

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is a mechanic I originally came up with for a custom set that I never finished. It plays similarly to storm but was designed to be not quite as explosive.

Scatter Blast
Sorcery
Scatter Blast deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Burst (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card in a graveyard with the same name. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Crumbling Psyche
Sorcery
Search your library for a card and put that card into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
Burst (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card in a graveyard with the same name.)

Endless Imagination
Sorcery
Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. Copy that card. Cast it without paying its mana cost if able.
Burst (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card in a graveyard with the same name. You may choose new targets for the copies.)
Rules Advisor
I like this idea!

I think Scatter Blast should either cost , or deal 2 damage instead.  It's maximum potential is 4 damage, which is only slightly better than a Searing Spear.  If you really want to encourage 4 copies, make the fourth one better than a Lightning Bolt, or at 2CMC, the final one could deal 8 damage!

I like Crumbling Psyche most.  You could use the first one to grab the second one and throw it in the graveyard too.  Then, if you have the third one in hand, you can toss Griselbrand and 2 Unburial Rites into your graveyard.  Then, as early as turn 5, you've got Griselbrand on the table!, with another Unburial Rites ready to go.  Really powerful stuff!

Endless Imagination is pretty cool, but prohibitively expensive.  You'd definitely want to mill your own into the graveyard to get the best deal out of it.  I might even suggest changing it to exiling cards directly out of a players library.  That might be worth the 9 mana.

All in all, you've got a good idea going here.
This is a mechanic I originally came up with for a custom set that I never finished. It plays similarly to storm but was designed to be not quite as explosive.

Scatter Blast
Sorcery
Scatter Blast deals 1 damage to target creature or player.

Crumbling Psyche
Sorcery
Search your library for a card and put that card into your graveyard. Then shuffle your library.
Burst (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card in a graveyard with the same name.)

Endless Imagination
Sorcery
Exile target instant or sorcery card from a graveyard. Copy that card. Cast it without paying its mana cost if able.

This mechanic promotes building a deck of four ofs. Does that mean it can only appear at common? If it doesn't, then people will surely be left spending money on four ofs of rares and mythics, just to get the best use out of the one or two they already have. It's also super swingy, in that drawing multiples of your burst spell in an opening hand gives you a significant advantage over an opponent who got one of each. The need for four ofs also creates situations where people who don't have much money to spend may be unable to play with the mechanic much at all, which kinda sucks. It recommend keeping it to common rarity, but even then the problem still exists.
Reminds me of Muscle Burst. But hopefully the art is better. Pretty cool, though. I can endorse it. I'm not exactly clear on the flavour?

Oh, but can this be an effect: "Each card in a graveyard has the same name as the next spell cast until end of turn?"

Crumbling Psyche is pretty cool. Any reason why it is so Black heavy? Do you want it to be difficult to use in a multi-colour Burst deck? It'd be more playable at [mc]2b[/c], I think. . .

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm happy other people like it.

The theme of the set was a sort of "cost matters", where you're rewarded for spending large amounts of mana. As such, most of the mechanics were meant to have a feel of growing momentum. When you cast one of these spells, it leaves an imprint on the flow of mana on the battlefield. If the spell is cast again, the mana used "remembers" the spell and makes it easier to cast or, in this case, triggers a ripple effect, resulting in multiple instances of the spell.
Rules Advisor
Your mechanic already exists on a card cycle from Coldsnap with Kjeldoran War Cry - Rune Snag - Feast Of Flesh - Rite Of Flame - Sound The Call and on a card cycle from Odyssey with Life Burst - Aether Burst - Mind Burst - Flame Burst - Muscle Burst, although your version allows different targets!
Well, as the keyword itself hints, the mechanic was inspired by the Burst cycle from Odyssee.
Rules Advisor
Sign In to post comments