The Spawnwrithe Continuum

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Spawnwrithe has perhaps the coolest creature mechanic of all time. I wouldn't go so far as to say it should be keyworded, but certainly Spawnwrithe should be reprinted in a core set. I can't see anybody objecting. 
Simply by buying a few packs of every core set for a few years, I myself now have five Acidic Slimes, and don't want any more. I don't think anybody does. We've had enough. If they reprint it again, we wouldn't be happy.  A couple of core sets at a time is fine. Four in a row is not. Anyway, I made a few Spawnwrithe variants. It seems Simic to me, but unavoidably green.

Broodwrithe   G
(Spawnwrithe ability)
1/1

Flightwrithe    UG 
(Spawnwrithe ability and flying)
1/1

Super Spawnwrithe   4GGGG 
(Spawnwrithe ability, Trample and Hexproof) 
5/5

The original Spawnwrithe was also awesome with Rage reflection (in casual, obviously). A double strike Spawnwrithe would be very cool. Or an enchantment that gives you a Spawnwrithe each upkeep. A hasty Spawnwrithe would be dope. Indestructible sure would be somethin'. (board wipe was the bane of my old spawnwrithe deck; whether by pyroclasm of Day of Judgement).

Any other ideas?
My point was they should replace Acidic Slime with Spawnwrithe. I didn't actually say that specifically.

Super Spawnwrithe   4GGGG 
(Spawnwrithe ability, Trample and Hexproof) 
5/5

Any other ideas?

I dunno about hexproof, once a spawnwrithe gets going targetted removal isn't much of an issue. What about "Sacrifice a creature: Regenerate CARDNAME"? That way it has synnergy with the first ability and gets some resilience against the spawnwrithe's natural predator. Also personally I'd rather keep it around 2/2 and have the resultant decline in cost, Spawnwrithe is like classic zombie movies. Not a huge threat on it's own, but if you don't deal with it, it's gonna overrun you in three turns.
Thanks to Long_Con for the avatar.
River Guide
56756068 wrote:
58147568 wrote:
121816979 wrote:
56819178 wrote:
147112461 wrote:
Hi everyone,I have two questions. 1. If my opponent already controlled a planewalker , then he cast avacyn,angle of hope ,and resolved on battlefield.Now his planewalker in indestructible right?
[c]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/c] -> Avacyn, Angel of Hope
No need to be so obtuse, maybe he's just trying to complement her. That's not too radical of a concept, I mean she is pretty acute, right?.
This right here should be a bannable offense :p
No, not an outright banning, that's too easy. He should be punished ... ... by degrees.
About the hexproof: I HATE it when my freshly giant growthed Spawnwrithe, pumped up to trample over a Diregraf Ghoul, takes an ultimate price to the head. I'm down a card and have a significant tempo loss. Hexproof is there to stop it, while still allowing me to play giant growth. It takes away the downside of dying to removal, so those sad moments don't happen any more.
 Personally, I think big Spawnwrithes have a place. I've playtested the Super Spawnwrithe, and it's very similar to that big 8 mana beast that was Naya's answer to Hellkite Overlord in one of the Alara sets. That gentleman cost 8 mana, was 8/8, had vigilance, and could tap to make an 8/8 beast. Super Spawnwrithe is much the same, but doesn't die to removal since it has hexproof, and it feeds into itself. It did however have the problem that you won before you could take over the game with your huge horde, so you might have a point there in that it should be a zombie invasion
Your idea is good for the same reasons as Hexproof, and probably better since it feeds into itself. Not very green though (though I know green can sacrifice creatures to get an effect, it's just never seemed green).
My point was they should replace Acidic Slime with Spawnwrithe. I didn't actually say that specifically.

Spawnwrithe's cool and all, but blue Spawnwrithe is kinda dangerous. I can see unblockable spawnwrithes everywhere.

Also, Acidic Slime fits a very specific role. It's a removal spell, kinda important for limited. And a 2/2 deathtouch body for five mana is bad, but it's also a removal spell that can stop artifacts, creatures, and lands.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Spawnwrithe's cool and all, but blue Spawnwrithe is kinda dangerous. I can see unblockable spawnwrithes everywhere.

Also, Acidic Slime fits a very specific role. It's a removal spell, kinda important for limited. And a 2/2 deathtouch body for five mana is bad, but it's also a removal spell that can stop artifacts, creatures, and lands.

I didn't propose a monoblue Spawnwrithe. Even if I did, unblockable Spawnwrithes is fun times as far as I'm concerned.
Sign In to post comments