Dragon Sorcerer feat help

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Having some trouble (primarily with feats, but everything is fair game) on my first Rebreather...any help or observations would be appreciated.  Starting at level 21, so feat order doesn't especially matter (though any educational opinions would be appreciated).  I've read both the Sorcerer and Dragonborn handbooks, and here's where I'm at:

Level 21

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 21
Dragonborn, Sorcerer, Dragon Guardian, Avatar of Io
Build: Dragon Sorcerer
Spell Source: Dragon Magic
Dragon Soul: Dragon Soul Lightning
White Lotus Dueling Expertise: Choose Implement Proficiency: White Lotus Dueling Expertise (Rod)
Guardian's Resistance: Dragon Soul Fire
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Lightning
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 24, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 28.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

AC: 34 Fort: 35 Reflex: 25 Will: 39
HP: 140 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 36

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Intimidate +26, Diplomacy +24, Athletics +22

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +11, Bluff +19, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +13, Heal +10, History +13, Insight +10, Nature +10, Perception +12, Religion +11, Stealth +11, Streetwise +19, Thievery +11

FEATS
Level 1: Ancient Soul
Level 2: Nusemnee's Atonement
Level 4: Superior Will
Level 6: Hurl Breath
Level 8: White Lotus Dueling Expertise
Level 10: Superior Implement Training (Accurate rod)
Level 11: Unarmored Agility
Level 12: Thundering Breath
Level 14: Resounding Thunder
Level 16: Superior Fortitude
Level 18: Lightning Soul
Level 20: Avowed Dragonfoe (retrained to Dual Implement Spellcaster at Level 21)
Level 21: Sorcerous Flux

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Burning Spray
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer encounter 1: Tempest Breath
Sorcerer daily 1: Lightning Breath
Sorcerer utility 2: Spatial Trip
Sorcerer encounter 3: Flame Spiral
Sorcerer daily 5: Palest Flames
Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales
Sorcerer encounter 7: Rimestorm
Sorcerer daily 9: Adamantine Echo
Sorcerer utility 10: Maiden's Waking
Sorcerer encounter 13: Thunder Breath (replaces Tempest Breath)
Sorcerer daily 15: Lightning Daggers (replaces Lightning Breath)
Sorcerer utility 16: Draconic Majesty
Sorcerer encounter 17: Dragon Tail Meditation (replaces Rimestorm)
Sorcerer daily 19: Aspect of the Dragon (replaces Palest Flames)

ITEMS
Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (paragon tier), Wyrmtouched Amulet +4, Arkhosian Scepter Accurate rod +5, Queen's Staff +3, Spark Slippers (paragon tier), Crown of the Brilliant Sun (paragon tier), Shimmering Feyweave Armor +4
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially on how the various Dragon Breath elements fit together.  Thanks in advance.
You don't have a MC, so MC Fighter and Draconic Aggression (+7 dmg that won't go through to you because it only affects enemies, not allies) are obvious choices, as is Powerful Breath (+2 hit +8 dmg with DB)

Spark Slippers are a trap item now that they're an IR so just get something like Feystep Lacings or Sandals of the Temporal Step (Daily: Use Dragon Breath Again!), the other items from the set you want are the Ring and Bracelet of the Radiant Storm (especially the Ring)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Only really two worthwhile PPs for Rebreathers imo. Honorable Blade and Ninefold Master. Honorable Blade is probably better throughout Paragon, Ninefold is kind of a set up for Epic. Given your unfamialiarity with the build's complexities though, you should take Honorable Blade.

That'll allow you to add Lightning (or Thunder) to all your powers without requiring a specifc enchant. Off-hand Scepter of Arkhosia. This doesn't preclude the set bonus from Staff, because sheathed weapons count for set bonuses.

Drop White Lotus Dueling for Draconic Spellcaster.

Even Str/Cha is preferable imo.

Why would you take Lightning Daggers, which provides a minor action attack, when you have a recycable minor action attack?

Spark Form is a stronger E7 because it has built-in movement, for positioning.

SIP isn't really worth it for a Rebreather, it doesn't do anything for you breath and most of our damage comes from your breath. I might make an exception if you went for Fire breath+Honorable Blade+Incindiary Dagger, but that'd change nearly all your feat support (or add a feat to Arcane Admixture Lightning on there).

Hurl Breath is kind of silly when you're going to need to get up front and personal for stuff like Flame Spiral.
Lightning Daggers provides a free action attack
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Nevermind then. Though now I wonder what power I was thinking of...

Nevermind then. Though now I wonder what power I was thinking of...

Lightning Cuts? Minor action attack that requires a dagger...
Blackfire Serpent
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
First off, thanks for this.  On to some follow ups:

Don't I need to pick up rod proficiency somewhere to use Dual Implement Spellcaster with the Scepter?  Is there a better way of doing that, or is DIS unnecessary?  Or am I just wrong about that?  The builder says it works fine as-is, but it seems like an error.

Re: items: so Staff of Ruin, I guess?  The Gifts for the Queen will have to wait (budget).

Here's where I'm at now:

level 21
Dragonborn, Sorcerer, Honorable Blade, Avatar of Io
Draconic Resistance: Draconic Resistance Lightning

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 26.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 11, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 35 Fort: 32 Reflex: 27 Will: 38
HP: 138 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 35

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Intimidate +25, Diplomacy +23, Athletics +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Bluff +18, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +13, Heal +10, History +13, Insight +10, Nature +10, Perception +12, Religion +11, Stealth +12, Streetwise +18, Thievery +12

FEATS
Level 4: Cyclone Warrior
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Draconic Spellcaster
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Dual Implement Spellcaster
Level 16: Draconic Arrogance
Level 18: Lightning Soul
Level 20: Dragonborn Senses (retrained to Sorcerer Implement Expertise at Level 21)

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Blazing Starfall
Sorcerer encounter 7: Spark Form
Sorcerer encounter 17: Dragon Tail Meditation (replaces Spark Form)

ITEMS
Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (paragon tier), Wyrmtouched Amulet +4, Shimmering Feyweave Armor +4, Arkhosian Scepter +4, Staff of Ruin +4, Feystep Lacings (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of the Mage (paragon tier)

And just to make sure I'm calculating Breath correctly:

Dragon Breath

To hit:

+6 power modifier
+8 Strength modifier
+10 half level
+2 feat bonus (Draconic Spellcaster)
+4 enhancement bonus (Arkhosian Scepter)
--------------------------------------------------
+30 vs Reflex

Damage:
3d6
+1 Constitution modifier
+12 Draconic Power
+4 Lightning Soul (overrides +2 from Draconic Spellcaster)
+5 Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor
+4 enhancement bonus (Arkhosian Scepter)
+8 Draconic Arrogance (with Push 1 from Thundering Breath)
---------------------------------------------------
3d6+34 lightning and thunder damage, push 1

Recharge:

3d6+26 damage to an ally on a hit (Draconic Arrogance doesn't apply)
-15 Nusemnee's Atonement
-10 Temp HP from Society of Sensation
---------------------------------------------------
3d6+1 damage to me to recharge

Am I still missing anything?  Thanks again.
Only really two worthwhile PPs for Rebreathers imo. Honorable Blade and Ninefold Master. Honorable Blade is probably better throughout Paragon, Ninefold is kind of a set up for Epic. Given your unfamialiarity with the build's complexities though, you should take Honorable Blade.

That'll allow you to add Lightning (or Thunder) to all your powers without requiring a specifc enchant. Off-hand Scepter of Arkhosia. This doesn't preclude the set bonus from Staff, because sheathed weapons count for set bonuses.

Even Str/Cha is preferable imo.

Why would you take Lightning Daggers, which provides a minor action attack, when you have a recycable minor action attack?

Spark Form is a stronger E7 because it has built-in movement, for positioning.

SIP isn't really worth it for a Rebreather, it doesn't do anything for you breath and most of our damage comes from your breath. I might make an exception if you went for Fire breath+Honorable Blade+Incindiary Dagger, but that'd change nearly all your feat support (or add a feat to Arcane Admixture Lightning on there).

Hurl Breath is kind of silly when you're going to need to get up front and personal for stuff like Flame Spiral.

Honorable Blade is for weapon attacks only... how does that help a re-breather?
Unless it is just a backup for when you don't damage yourself, to be able to use DB 2 more times.
Honorable Blade adds the damage to your weapon. It is not for Weapon attacks. Weapliments work fine.

@OP: DIS really isn't worth it, since DIS can't apply to DB. If the builder is applying it, it is wrong.

As for your budget..... how are you applying the higher level character creation rules? Normally it is level+1, level, level-1 item, and gold equivalent to a level-1 item to buy anything you want. This severely short changes you in Epic though. You can google Wealth by Level and find a thread in CharOp that discusses it. But you're obviously not using the RAW system either. A lot of items contribute a great deal to this build, so knowing what system you're playing with for wealth is kind of important.
As for your budget.....

Sorry...previous post had a couple of items in flux and I had run over budget.  We're using the standard buy system, and here's where I'm currently standing:

Level 22: Wyrmtouched Amulet +4 (Level 19)
Level 21: Shimmering Feyweave Armor +4 (Level 19)
Level 20: Queen's Staff +4 (Level 20)
Level 20 GP: 125,000 

25,000 GP: Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor (Level 15)
65,000 GP: Arkhosian Scepter (Level 17)
17,000 GP: Siberys Shard of the Mage (Level 13)
17,000 GP: Bracelet of the Radiant Storm (Level 13)
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 1,000 GP: Unspent Balance
You only need a +3 Queen's Staff for the set bonus, sheathed. It is ridiculously expensive to use as a primary implement.

I might go with a slightly different allocation. First replace Lightning Soul with Powerful Breath so it keys completely off of Cha. Then get an Ioun Stone of Allure as your at level item. You now have an item bonus to all Cha-based attacks. This means you don't need the Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor.

You really want a Ring of the Radiant Storm.

The standard rules really hurt this build. The CharOp standard of just turning all your pre-level set items into cash that you can then buy whatever you want with works a lot better. But just being such a high level at creation sucks

Amount of money/items you would have if you'd come up from level 1: 1,285,539 (in a party of 5)
Amount of money you have: 800,000 gp

Almost 500k difference and you would have organically acquired stuff you actually want.

You can save a bit of money on the Shard though, Eberron Shard of Lightning is cheaper than a Shard of the Mage.
I like the Ioun Stone...I mostly play LFR, so rare items tend to be off my radar.

With that set of items (Wyrmtouched Amulet +4, Queen's Staff +3, Bracelet of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Ioun Stone of Allure, Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Arkhosian Scepter +5, Kestrekel Feather Armor of Sudden Recovery +3), Dragon Breath is now sitting at:

+31 vs. Reflex

+6 power
+8 Charisma
+10 half level
+2 Draconic Spellcaster
+5 Arkhosian Scepter

3d6+43 lightning and thunder damage, push 2

+8 Charisma
+12 Draconic Power
+2 Draconic Spellcaster
+5 Arkhosian Scepter
+3 Gifts for the Queen
+5 Ioun Stone
+8 Draconic Arrogance

...which is significantly better than it was before.  I ended up picking up White Lotus Dueling expertise so I could just use the Arkhosian Scepter as my primary implement, and between the on-level feat bump (relative to Draconic Spellcaster) and getting a +5 implement, all of my non-DB attacks are at +2 to hit from where they were.

On the recharge issue: does the resistance granted by Nusemnee's Atonement (15) stack with the resist 20 lightning & thunder granted by the Wyrmtouched Amulet?  I've talked myself into that being the case, as they're not identical, but they're pretty close so I'm not positive.

Where I'm At:

level 21
Dragonborn, Sorcerer, Honorable Blade, Avatar of Io
Draconic Resistance: Draconic Resistance Lightning
White Lotus Dueling Expertise: Choose Implement Proficiency: White Lotus Dueling Expertise (Rod)
Powerful Breath: Powerful Breath Charisma

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 26, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 26.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 33 Fort: 32 Reflex: 25 Will: 39
HP: 138 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 36

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Intimidate +29, Diplomacy +27, Athletics +23, Heal +17

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Bluff +22, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +14, History +13, Insight +12, Nature +12, Perception +14, Religion +11, Stealth +10, Streetwise +22, Thievery +10

FEATS
Level 4: Powerful Breath
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Draconic Spellcaster
Level 10: Superior Will
Level 11: Battle Awareness
Level 16: Draconic Arrogance
Level 18: White Lotus Dueling Expertise
Level 20: Dragonborn Senses (retrained to Superior Initiative at Level 21)

POWERS
Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
Sorcerer encounter 7: Spark Form
Sorcerer encounter 17: Dragon Tail Meditation (replaces Spark Form)

ITEMS
Wyrmtouched Amulet +4, Queen's Staff +3, Bracelet of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Ioun Stone of Allure, Ring of the Radiant Storm (paragon tier), Arkhosian Scepter +5, Kestrekel Feather Armor of Sudden Recovery +3, Adventurer's Kit

You only need a +3 Queen's Staff for the set bonus, sheathed. It is ridiculously expensive to use as a primary implement.

I might go with a slightly different allocation. First replace Lightning Soul with Powerful Breath so it keys completely off of Cha. Then get an Ioun Stone of Allure as your at level item. You now have an item bonus to all Cha-based attacks. This means you don't need the Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor.

You really want a Ring of the Radiant Storm.

The standard rules really hurt this build. The CharOp standard of just turning all your pre-level set items into cash that you can then buy whatever you want with works a lot better. But just being such a high level at creation sucks

Amount of money/items you would have if you'd come up from level 1: 1,285,539 (in a party of 5)
Amount of money you have: 800,000 gp

Almost 500k difference and you would have organically acquired stuff you actually want.

You can save a bit of money on the Shard though, Eberron Shard of Lightning is cheaper than a Shard of the Mage.

You gain a +4 item bonus to Charisma-based skill checks and Charisma ability checks. You also gain a +5 item bonus to the damage rolls of Charisma-based attacks.

Is a CHA ability check the same as an attack based off of CHA?

Is a CHA ability check the same as an attack based off of CHA?

Nope.  Doesn't apply to attack rolls.
No... you only want it for the item bonus to damage rolls of Cha-based attacks. O.o

@Cah: RAW "type" is always singular. In the case of the Wyrmtouched Amulet that probably wasn't intended, but it only gives you resist to one type of damage your DB deals. Which makes it basically useless if you are double-typing. But it wouldn't "stack" regardless, it is just that the resist would be higher, which is useful. There are some single-type Rebreather builds.

Oh, you don't have War Wizardary! Side note: One of the reasons I dislike giving advice about Rebreathers is how complicated the builds get, you always forget something. That is kind of a big deal. 3d6+35 is what you're sitting at currently, to allies. War Wizardry causes you to do half damage to allies, and you take the damage the ally would have taken due to NA. So your min is 38, average is 45.5, max is 53. Half of that is 19/22/26. Resist 15, take 7/10/14, out of 10 THP. You can see why it makes such a large difference. Replace Sup Init with War Wizardry. This is also why Ring of the Radiant Storm is suspiciously nice. Note how the max roll means you take damage above your THP, but you can roll twice and pick either one, which means you can pick the lower roll if it means you take no damage.

Looking at your other powers, you should take Thunder Leap @5. It is kind of ridiculous. Not sure what the third daily should be (Lightning Daggers is obviously your D15), I don't personally like Aspect of the Dragon unless you have a Bloodfury weapon so you can intentionally trigger the second attack whenever you want. You ditched Spark Form, leaving you with no "get into position" power. Downbeat of Wings @13 would help with that, but it requires hitting, on the bright side push+prone is Str modx2 thanks to Arrogance. You should also consider the standard combo of Flame Spiral+AP+Cyclone Pull for a triple hit.

Breath of Potency @16 is worth the Standard, especially for a Rebreather.
Yep.  War Wizardry is a major difference.  And I hadn't considered using the Ring to reduce damage...makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for your help in getting this sorted out -- lots of moving pieces (by my op standards, at any rate) on this one. 
Note that Ring of the Radiant Storm says: "When you hit an enemy with a radiant or lightning power..." So that trick of picking the lower damage when hitting your ally will probably not work...
Note that Ring of the Radiant Storm says: "When you hit an enemy with a radiant or lightning power..." So that trick of picking the lower damage when hitting your ally will probably not work...

Bursts/Blasts only have one damage roll, regardless of the number of targets hit.
I guess if you technically missed all your enemies and just hit your allies then you wouldn't ge to reroll.  But then either you are amazingly unlucky or you failed somewhere along the way.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I'm enjoying all this talk about re-breathers lately
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Bursts/Blasts only have one damage roll, regardless of the number of targets hit.

I brainfarted, you are of course entirely correct. What a rawtastic little ring.
Sign In to post comments