so, my wish list for dungeon tiles in 2013.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
i'm a huge fan of these.
having collect 3+ of most of the sets, including masters, i would love to see this implemented for them next year:

mini boxes, similar in patern to the dungeon master set box. in about 4x4 or 4x6 squares to represent
elevated rooms and include enough tiles as an encounter set of a single shot adventure. these could still be combined with other DT sets as well.

just a wish, but i'd thought i would throw it out there.

star26       
I'd like to see deluxe environment editions. A "base" board (Just like board games, a large size.. say 70 x 32 - the size of the largest Axis & Allies boardgame.) along with all the smaller bits and pieces to customize it. The base board wouldn't have many artistic elements as those would be what the tiles are for.

A snow field with a few small rocks here and there- but the bulk of the board would be the white snow and grid. The tiles would contain snow covered trees, boulders, cave entrances, ponds of ice, perhaps a snow covered hut or two, snow covered (and on the other side, dirt with snow on the sides) roads/pathways.

A plain grassy field with roads, huts, bolders, trees as tiles. Broken down wagons, horses, farm lands, and so on would be the tiles.

A board filled with lava, and rock bridges, dungeon areas and such would be the tiles.

Another set would be a city area.

An ocean board with ships, small islands and such as tiles.

A desert type board with tiles to oasis, tents, camels and such.

A Swamp board with swampy bits and pieces.

And of course a dungeon board with dungeoney type stuff.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
Halfling Rivertown
Elven Treetop Village
Dwarven Mines
Farmland (barns, sheds, crops, animal pens)
I want to see a Dark Sun dungeon tile set that's actually set on Dark Sun and doesn't morph into a lake/river set halfway through.
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
I'd like to see deluxe environment editions. A "base" board (Just like board games, a large size.. say 70 x 32 - the size of the largest Axis & Allies boardgame.) along with all the smaller bits and pieces to customize it. The base board wouldn't have many artistic elements as those would be what the tiles are for.

A snow field with a few small rocks here and there- but the bulk of the board would be the white snow and grid. The tiles would contain snow covered trees, boulders, cave entrances, ponds of ice, perhaps a snow covered hut or two, snow covered (and on the other side, dirt with snow on the sides) roads/pathways.

A plain grassy field with roads, huts, bolders, trees as tiles. Broken down wagons, horses, farm lands, and so on would be the tiles.

A board filled with lava, and rock bridges, dungeon areas and such would be the tiles.

Another set would be a city area.

An ocean board with ships, small islands and such as tiles.

A desert type board with tiles to oasis, tents, camels and such.

A Swamp board with swampy bits and pieces.

And of course a dungeon board with dungeoney type stuff.

...desets of athas, i'm looking at you.
like most of these ideas, just hope that wizards will make the water color uniform, to match previous sets .

Might be pretty moot when publishing schedule seems to be quite empty on news. Furthermore, the thing to do is watch the devellopment of dnd next and see if it remains miniatures despondant or not. There is no point on releasing tiles if the theatre of the mind is the basic and emplied modus operendi.
Might be pretty moot when publishing schedule seems to be quite empty on news. Furthermore, the thing to do is watch the devellopment of dnd next and see if it remains miniatures despondant or not. There is no point on releasing tiles if the theatre of the mind is the basic and emplied modus operendi.

that's a valid point.
however, it wizards should eliminate the tiles, i'll have to convert over to pathfinder then.  

D&DNext is made so that players can easily do Theater of Mind or tiles.  They've said in numerous sources that the choice is up to you.

As for Dungeon Tiles, here is what I would like:

Ships & the Sea - Various watercraft, shipwrecks, reefs, etc

Volcano - Lava, geysers, etc

Jungle - Large amounts of overgrowth
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
I like the idea of a large 'base enviorment' battlemat with simple non-specific terrain (grass, water, sand, snow, dirt/stone, cobblestone). Perhaps not that large (24 x 30 or up to 30 x 36 or so would be fine, at most the size of one of those board room presentation pads). 

Combined with sets that are largely 'features only" (roads, rocks, tree's, watercraft, drifts , rooftops) would be great alternative to toating around some of the existing tile sets. Maybe have some tiles be thin clear plastic for laying down runes or other features that could be enviorment neutral.  

I think I'd almost prefer a tile-set like this to the current tiles (this comming from someone who's gotten two of every set going back to the very first sets). 

I could see even cave systems and city streets handled with this set up easily (In my oppinion caves followed by cities are the worst enviorments to do tiles for, this method would allow you to place down tunnel segments, cavern chamber walls and columns or in the case of cities, buildings, obsticals and market features. This I think would be preferable to sorting through tiles to find the one with just the right terrain features for what you need with the matching flooring.