[GTC-ICD] Whispering Madness

208 posts / 0 new
Last post

Whispering Madness   2UB
Sorcery
Each player discards his or her hand, then draws cards equal to the greatest number of cards a player discarded this way.

Cipher (Then, you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controlled may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost)
This ability as a whole? It looks awesome. Because you know what we absolutely needed more of? Ways to allow Invisible Stalker based decks to generate Card Advantage. If any of these are halfway good those Stalker decks will be able to have a Stalker Of Death that just enables freaking everything on hit.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Without the additional text

Also, holy crap, this is so cool. 
I LOVE THIS. I AM CACKLING. 

Also, I bet you there will be breakage at some point with this, and any way to get extra attack phases. 
Why hello there best mechanic ever, have you jury's soulsworn spirit?

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Wow. Interesting mechanic.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Whoa, I like this mechanic. And it doesn't even mill!

Very flavorful and fits Dimir quite well.

Seems like Invisible Stalker.dec is going to be a thing now...

As for this card, I don't care for it much. But the art is ugly. Dude looks funny and proportions are off...

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Easily my favourite of the 5 GTC mechanics; I like it a little better than populate too, making it my favourite of the 10. I'm thinking it'll only be on instants and sorceries, but a buddy of mine thinks creatures could get it too, thoughts? And Invisible Stalker usage is gonna rise folks.

Edit: Got ninja'd by like 6 of you lmao. @Fenix I agree completely about the art haha; it's the NOSE.
A wise man on film sequels:
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow
Decks: :R::G: Karn Tron :R::U: Bloody Fish There Will Be Blood (movie).
Easily my favourite of the 5 GTC mechanics; I like it a little better than populate too, making it my favourite of the 10. I'm thinking it'll only be on instants and sorceries, but a buddy of mine thinks creatures could get it too, thoughts? And Invisible Stalker usage is gonna rise  folks.

It makes no sense on creatures. It will not be on creatures.
Very sweet card and awesome mechanic.  But jeez that art is so creepy.
Yea, no creatures for this. Wording is really wierd too. "spell card?"
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)

As for this card, I don't care for it much. But the art is ugly. Dude looks funny and proportions are off...

What do you mean "it doesn't mill".

Maybe it doesn't have traditional "mill text", but Windfalling every turn will probably mill them (and you) faster than Stalker would be able to kill them.
I know, that's how I'm rationalizing it to him, but he's still pretty adamant.
Watching sequels to really good films is like visiting a bollock kicking parlour, paying your money and then proceeding to get your bollocks kicked...then leaving and returning at a later date to repeat the process. -iamthehollow

It says "spell card" to make sure that each subsequent Cipher trigger will be redundant and not cumulative.
U/B...... aggro? Where I constantly dump my hand into play to beat you up? Anyways, the card is good, and I wonder what they could up with for a mythic with this mechanic.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!

What do you mean "it doesn't mill".

Maybe it doesn't have traditional "mill text", but Windfalling every turn will probably mill them (and you) faster than Stalker would be able to kill them.

I meant the mechanic, not the card.

I was pretty sure that I'd hate the new Dimir mechanic if it wasn't a mill mechanic, but this isn't and I like it.

192884403 wrote:

It means you have to exile it from the stack.  Fun way to get around counterspells. Also, instants with this could get lulzy.  "Oh, no block?  OK, I'll encode these instants on my dude."

In fact, I'd love to see

Instant curiosity
Instant
Draw a card
Encode

EDIT: wait, nevermind, it's part of the resolution of the spell.  Cool.  The above card would have to cost more in that case, but you'd never get 2-for-1'd that way.
Did anyone else think "Splice onto Creature" on reading this?
I like the art. Something about it is kinka off putting, which I believe is intentional.  The ability seems cool. Black and blue are the two colors that have
the most sabotuer abilities.   I do wonder if other cards in either Gatecrash or Dragon Maze will care about things being "Encoded"  It would  have
been very flavourful if it allowed you to put it on any creature, (maybe facedown) but would only trigger if hit an opponent. This repersent
the sleeper agents Dimir has in the other guilds.  Of course in a duel it would have played the same. 

One bad thing is that long remider text doesn't leave room for flavor text.

So let me see if I understand the wording of this. You cast the spell, it resolves, THEN you may exile it to encode onto a creature you control? Which means you may possibly be able to do it twice in one turn?

That seems awfully good depending on the design space they use. I say this as the ability starts with "Then you may exile this spell card..." denoting something has to occur before "then."

What an exciting ability. Among the most interesting I've ever seen in Magic.
Puresteel players unite! [Archetype] PURESTEEL
This ability also basically confirms that Gruul and/or Boros will definitely have Slagstorm effects

Also just noticed that Encode doesn't actually target. Time to shelve hexproof and bring back shroud, wotc!

192884403 wrote:
So, Instants/Sorceries turning into "Auras" after resolving. I like it. But It's strange that NWO allowed this mechanic (especially because we'll have it at commom). It's also somewhat similar to Haunt, but for Instants and Sorceries.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Oh sweet, I really love the mechanic name : "Cipher"
Also I love they use the word "encoded", absolutely love this mechanic.

Also I like that I don't have to play U/B with this mechanics and can still gain their abilities since I can cast that spells without paying its mana cost, something like return or destroy target creature spells with cipher and encoded it on my creature echanted with rancor, very exciting to see this happens.
Scratch that, I didn't read the "then you may exile this spell card.." wording, but still it has cool names
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
This ability also basically confirms that Gruul and/or Boros will definitely have Slagstorm effects

Also just noticed that Encode doesn't actually target. Time to shelve hexproof and bring back shroud, wotc!

...why? Not that I would be opposed to it, but we have Mizzium Mortars, Magmaquake and Bonfire in standard right now, as well as other board wipes in other colours.
So, Instants/Sorceries turning into "Auras" after resolving. I like it. But It's strange that NWO allowed this mechanic (especially because we'll have it at commom). It's also somewhat similar to Haunt, but for Instants and Sorceries.

The commons are going to be very unimpressive, like, "Put the top card of target player's library into their graveyard," or, "Draw a card."

Rules Advisor

I think they're banking on this being one of those mechanics that reads like a mess but ends up being fairly easy to 'grok' once you see it in action. Also: Had to read it three times to make sure subsequent hits don't let you Cipher over and over again. (More accurately, you CAN, but it won't do anything because the exiled copies vanish in the same way tokens would)
Is it me or is the man's head HUGE on the art?
But still nice mechanic!

A typical   trying to get somewhere in the Multiverse, allons-y?

DOCTOR WHO OOOOOOOOEEOOOOOOOO OOOOOOEEOOOOOOO (I'm weird, cant help it)

Famous Quotes:

144543765 wrote:
I was browsing through some cards in gatherer and I noticed something really odd - the transforming cards from Innistrad like Mayor of Avabruck have separate comments and ratings for each side. Isn't that totally stupid? It feels as senseless as having two different pages for each side of a split card or having different pages for Nimble Mongoose with and without threshold.

56965528 wrote:
*mutters under his breath* Squinty's Wife: "What was that!?!?" Umm, I said.... umm..... ahhh.... *another smack upside the head* Squinty's Wife: "Care to try again?" *shakes head vigerously* Squinty's Wife: "That's better." ~SE++ *whimpering*

Current deck goals:

NON-AGGRO, NON-MONO RED deck (Not getting very far with it though)

Standard mono red deck for FNM next Friday

So I was getting kind of worried about the mechanics in GTC, until this we spoiled, we had.

A mechanic that is just asking to be set up for 2 for 1's (Gruul/Bloodrush).

A mechanic that requires you to have at least 3 creatures attacking, often forcing you to over-commit to the board (Boros/Battalion).

A mechanic that requires you to pay mana over and over again for a very marginal benefit (Orzhov/Extort).

And a mechanic that seems like it will only be any good in limited or with a ton of Hexproof stuff (Simic/Evolve).

Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed.....but then they go and spoil this and I am honestly blown away. Wow.....just.....wow, this mechanic has so much potential its sickening, it fits flavor-wise, and it makes the Melvin in me literally want to kiss someone.

So the real question is, how many of the cards with this mechanic are going to be completely and utterly broken......seems like R&D are really toeing the line with this one.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Is it me or is the man's head HUGE on the art?

It's a fisheye lens effect.

...why? Not that I would be opposed to it, but we have Mizzium Mortars, Magmaquake and Bonfire in standard right now, as well as other board wipes in other colours.

Mortars cost 6 to overload, Bonfire needs to be miracled magmaquake isn't cheap either. Plus none of those will be playable in GTC limited, no?

192884403 wrote:
I love the art. Really cool mechanic also.

"This list much made Niche barf a lil' in his mouth, so I can be proud of that." -rstnme

maybe since it can go off more than twice Wizards thought it impact on the game will be worth the memory issues.  For those who wanted a
milling related ability, the original Dimir ability had nothing to do with mill, but there was milling subtheme, probably the same thing will happen this time around. 

I got to say as whole gatecrash's mechanics seem more complex than RtR's
In the art it's like the skeleton is like AWW DUDE YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW and the guy's like OH TEE HEE NO WAY

The commons are going to be very unimpressive, like, "Put the top card of target player's library into their graveyard," or, "Draw a card."

Even with simple effects, it's still much more complicated than the everydays Undying and Metalcraft he were seeing. Note that I really like the mechanic, I just think it's pushing NWO much more than most mechanics we saw after it was implemented.

WotC doesn't care about flavor. Their forum is the only place where an ORC can kill a troll...

Lost around 120 posts in the forum migration

Post #1000 on Feb 02, 2013

Post #2000 on Sep 04, 2013

Mortars cost 6 to overload, Bonfire needs to be miracled magmaquake isn't cheap either. Plus none of those will be playable in GTC limited, no?

Yeah I see your point in terms of limited, but why strictly board wipes? Targeted instant speed removal would be pretty good too (spell resolves; take out the encoded creature). If we were to get one, my money's on Gruul.
O HAI THAIR, WINDFALL.

Wizards just gave me my freaking Christmas present.

To clarify, does it stay encoded on the creature? I can do it every single turn for as long as the creature lives and connects?

Oh, also; Pack Rat. You're welcome. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.

Even with simple effects, it's still much more complicated than the everydays Undying and Metalcraft he were seeing. Note that I really like the mechanic, I just think it's pushing NWO much more than most mechanics we saw after it was implemented.

A large number of words doesn't make it complicated.  You cast a spell.  The spell gets exiled.  When the encoded creature deals combat damage, cast a copy of the spell.

Rules Advisor

O HAI THAIR, WINDFALL.

Wizards just gave me my freaking Christmas present.

To clarify, does it stay encoded on the creature? I can do it every single turn for as long as the creature lives and connects?

Oh, also; Pack Rat. You're welcome. 

Yes, since you copy the card before you cast it, the orginal card will stay on the exile creature.

I reread the card and saw the "then" at begaining of Cipher's reminder text.  To me this make the ability not as cool ( not less powerful). Making the player choose between an immediate one time effect or the potential for repeated effects would have made for better games.
-Cool card
-Cool ability
-Ugly art

Overall a win in my book.
"So, Instants/Sorceries turning into "Auras" after resolving"
Exiled spells don't resolve. You either cast it or turn it into something akin to another Aura; you can't do both. 

Actually, you can do both, hence the word "Then" in the reminder text. Basically, you cast the spell, it resolves, THEN you may choose to exile it "enchanting" a creature. Which then allows you to recast the spell for free anytime said "enchanted" creature deals combat damage to a player.

Just as I figured, if anything at all about this mechanic will be confusing, it is the fact the reminder text starts with "Then", which I have a feeling is going to throw quite a few people off.

Also, the art seems weird. The guy looks really short and it looks like he has a really big head.

For the sake of Ravnica.....this card does in fact represent the lollipop guild.
"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
"So, Instants/Sorceries turning into "Auras" after resolving"
Exiled spells don't resolve. You either cast it or turn it into something akin to another Aura; you can't do both. 

Not sure that that's how this works.  You cast the card, and then instead of it going to the graveyard during resolution, it gets exiled and encoded onto a creature.  I think you do get to do both.

Rules Advisor